• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 6, 2017
US
Personally the most annoying for me is "character helps a character climb up thing, and then is helped by that character." So prevalent in ND games.

I hate Naughty Dog-isms in general so I'm with you on that one as well. I can excuse it in Resi 4, which may be the originator of that one, because well, it's an incredibly fun game.

Also, fuck "character talks to themselves in a completely stupidly transparent hint system fashion". I remember playing Uncharted for the first time and my character doing that and immediately looking for a way to turn that shit off in the Options menu.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
The greatest sin in modern game design is the reliance on "crutches" like markers and prompts that basically tell the player what to do at every step of the way, turning the whole experience into a brainless chore. It started of as a very crude way for early open world games to direct the player through a large and complex environment, over time you'd think the industry would grow out of it, but these features have only grown more prevalent and in-your-face (some of you would call it "QOL upgrades") over the years to the point that they're even found in some "closed world" games nowadays.
This is absolutely true. Markers and glowing objectives focus the majority of attention on the map and turn a game into a connect-the-dots. But the worst variety of crutch is the servile hand-holding NPCs that tell you precisely what to do rather than let you figure anything out for yourself. Like.. what's even the point? How are people not offended by this?