• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I was just rewatching the 1990 miniseries only to find out there was an Indian adaptation called 'Woh' in 1998.

freepressjournal%2Fimport%2F2017%2F09%2FIndia-IT-Woh-Stephen-King.jpg

Synopsis:
Seven teenagers Ashutosh, Raja, Julie, Shiva, Ronnie, Sanjeev and Rahul battle an evil force called Woh that kidnaps children, and rid the town of Panchgani of his menace. They promise that they'll return, if Woh ever returns. Fifteen years after they had part ways, Ashutosh starts seeing balloons, at the places where children are being kidnapped. He immediately recognizes that Woh has returned and calls his friends to return.

How did I not know about this until right about now? I've been a superfan of the novel, and I thought the new films were a half decent stab at adapting the novel (I still feel a 14+ hour streaming series would probably do the novel more justice - you could probably stretch things out further by going into more detail about each character and make it 30 hours with three, ten hour seasons).

Anyway enough of my thoughts on western adaptations - I didn't have any idea Woh existed and now I kinda want to watch through all 50+ 25 minute episodes.

This is the first episode:

Already I can tell American Horror Story credit sequence designers took heavily from Woh's (the jury is out because it might completely be a coincidence).

Has anyone else heard or not heard of this adaptation? Would anyone else curious to see it? Does anyone else wish there were more mainstream foreign adaptations of the story? I would love to see a South Korean or perhaps a Japanese take on the story.

Does anyone know if such adaptations are or were legal or do Warner Bros (now) own the cinematic rights in every country?

I guess Woh was for Television and was a very loose adaptation so could kinda get away with things?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching this when I was a kid, very scary for my 8 year old self back in the day but looks laughably bad today.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it back when it came out and it was trash like most Indian tv shows at the time.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not available in your country

So like Hotstar was few years ago (though it's available now)

Sadness to the maximum ;(

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember seeing an absolutely ridiculous clip from this years back.

The Pennywise equivalent pulls the Ritchie equivalent into a pool and it looks like the most low budget jank ass thing ever. It's worth a chuckle or two but it's generally so trashy that it's barely tolerable - even in short bursts.