• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
So have the devs put out any type of roadmap for the game? Would love to see this game get more content.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
So how is online mode by now? I finished the campaign offline the other day and I'm kinda tempted to zoom through it again right away.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oops sorry didn't see your message. I'm running pretty standard dmg increase and cd reduction I think. But I'm still fairly low level so I have yet to unlock the last and best modifiers. Even still, best.skill.feeling.ever.

I mean :

Don't mind the dmg output tho, I'm trying stuff and not really running an optimized build, especially with that bow.

Wow I didn't know you could click on a target multiple times to stack the hits. I was using the rune that auto targets in front of you but that might not be the best.

I still don't fully understand the mechanics but it's a fun skill.... the question is, what else do you even run with it.

Also, since it has short cooldown, I feel using shotgun + shield might be better?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Hit level 70 online, finished up to 103 with Expeditions and I think that's it for me. I was really hoping to push to 90 and maybe I still will in the future but at this point I think I've seen most of all there is to do with the game. I enjoyed the 70 hours I put in, I think there's a really solid game here if they can clean it up. Back to PoE for the next league and the first week of D3 like usual.

Don't regret the purchase one bit, with all the issues I still had more fun overall than I thought I would initially.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hit level 70 online, finished up to 103 with Expeditions and I think that's it for me. I was really hoping to push to 90 and maybe I still will in the future but at this point I think I've seen most of all there is to do with the game. I enjoyed the 70 hours I put in, I think there's a really solid game here if they can clean it up. Back to PoE for the next league and the first week of D3 like usual.

Don't regret the purchase one bit, with all the issues I still had more fun overall than I thought I would initially.
I am in same boat actually. Around level 70 and despite not finishing up the town mechanic or progressing into the high 150s (or however high it can go), feels like I have experienced most of what the game has to offer. Kinda want to push to lvl90 just so I can shelve the game for a bit but I don't think I will enjoy it more than I already have.

Game has some really game breaking bugs with the town mechanic, the Uber bosses and crafting stuff is super bugged (the crafting stuff will BRICK YOUR GAME!!!). It's a shame because this system is cool and unique from other ARPGs.

Overall my pros and cons of the game:

Pros:
*Great graphics and visual, aesthetically and technical. By far the best looking ARPG out there right now (aside from Lost Ark which isn't available in states yet).
*Great VA and sound design. Soundtrack is generally great too. Aside from audio bugs which muffle the sound at certain points.
*Excellent combat feedback and hit animation. Better than both PoE and D3 in this regard, you really feel the weight and impact of your attacks. Some really satisfying attacks like Gunslinger's Brand and fully charged Railgun etc.
*Generally good skill tree system though I would like if it was more expanded because it's very small for the amount of points you can have which results in builds that are capable of being strong at everything (damage and defenses). Some balancing is obviously required but its layout, theme and the mechanic of revolving it is cool.
*Excellent transmog system, best in the genre.
*The end game townhall mechanic is cool and gives the game long term goals to strive towards with real benefits. They just need to fix it so that it actually works.
*Strong attacks are telegraphed well and usually when you get die it's your fault (except when you encounter bugs). I have killed many bosses without ever getting hit and for me at least that's rare in a ARPG. I also like that the Act bosses were hard, I know some people may not like this but I like that, it made me actually learn the fights.

Cons:
*Generally a buggy mess and pretty inexcusable for a full release game. The amount of bugs I have encountered in this game rival that of alphas... I have played many betas that were more polished than this. I know it's a small team but smaller teams have released better working products and they have even done it for a smaller price tag. I also put game balance in this too but I expected the game balance to be broken at launch.
*Combat while great, still needs a lot of tweaking particularly movement, hit detection and how rolling works. Not being able to map force move to left click (or being able to map that slot to another skill in general) is a sin for ARPGs in 2020.
*Endgame is a rip off from D3 with a PoE sprinkling added on top of it. Like yeah a lot of the game is ripped from D3/PoE but it feels the most egregious here as it is essentially just Greater Rifts and Bounties... both of which aren't even great endgames to begin with. The mapping system in PoE is far better because you feel there is an over arching progression and end goal that you are moving towards (especially in the older Atlas where you moved to the center of the Atlas to kill the Guadians and Shaper) and they should have provided an alternative to that instead of ripping the inferior end game.
*The itemization while not as bad as D3 is still not up to snuff. They have some cool concepts and ideas going but its generally a slightly better D3 loot system with pretty mediocre selection of Uniques. There are a few exciting ones but there aren't enough of them and many are supremely under powered. Crafting system is taken from PoE but much more limited.
*Story mode ends abruptly, most definitely more content planned in the future storywise. Hell I don't even think Act 3 is complete... just like with PoE which had like part of Act 3 when it was first out (you played up to Peity IIRC). That said each of the acts were fairly meaty and around 2 acts of something like PoE, takes around 18-20 hours to beat.
*The stat allocation is generally one dimensional as it essentially forces you to just put all stats into one or at the most two stats. There isn't much thought placed when picking attributes, this system kind of needs an overhaul.

The game has potential and with content updates it can be a stellar ARPG to rival that of something like PoE or Grim Dawn. However it's not there yet, it needs a lot of work still and that makes it hard to recommend to folks as of now. Definitely a wait to buy type game even though I personally do not regret my purchasing decision at all nor do I regret my play time with it.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
The act 2 boss is such a bitch to deal with. Me and my buddy are stuck at phase 2. Maybe tomorrow we'll have better luck.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
like Kadin and Dahbomb said, my feelings are pretty much identical. I too am around 70 (72 in fact), I too like what is there (quite a bit in fact) but its a buggy mess and needs more content, if they fix and add to it ill come back to it for sure (I'm not exactly done with it yet I still have fun and I got a alt to the 50s that I wanna do bow suff with but still), and in no way do I regretmy purchase since I'venow played 90+ hours and had fun (more than I can say for most games I buy tbh lol), but I cant necessarely recomend it either.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Quin's review/impressions is done, his last day with the game he said.

That was pretty brutal to be honest but he said that if you remove all the bugs/obvious fixable issues it's a bit better than D3 which is good. I think that's a decent take although you have to go through 50 minutes worth of cringey Quin dialogue to get to it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I am really enjoying the game but I wish I wasnt forced to use bleeding edge to complete high end excursions. The game needs some serious rebalancing of a lot of its core calculations regarding damage scaling. Still enjoyed my 50 hours so far and worth the price for me personally.
My bread and butter skill on my 2H melee guy. I use it first always and default to it all the time. I guess it's gonna need to be reworked because nothing else I have seems that good lol

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
That was pretty brutal to be honest but he said that if you remove all the bugs/obvious fixable issues it's a bit better than D3 which is good. I think that's a decent take although you have to go through 50 minutes worth of cringey Quin dialogue to get to it.
It's an interesting review for sure. At first I found it kinda funny how he was mocking a lot of YT reviewers with just going with the negative and then he seemed to do the exact same thing. But then I think he realized it and tried to obviously pepper in some positives. He put in a lot of time with the game and clearly got hit with some bad bs like so many others, it has to start taking its toll eventually. With that said I do think most of what he said was pretty much on point and accurate and I feel he, like many of us here, really want it to be a great game and can see it. We all just hope the devs will get it there in time.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow I didn't know you could click on a target multiple times to stack the hits. I was using the rune that auto targets in front of you but that might not be the best.

I still don't fully understand the mechanics but it's a fun skill.... the question is, what else do you even run with it.

Also, since it has short cooldown, I feel using shotgun + shield might be better?

Yeah, the autolock cone release variant is more practical but I like the more active involvement of the base skill.

It's definitely best used with a pistol or some type of 1 hander + shield right now, but I like bows and I'm experimenting a bit with it. In general I don't like going the cookie cutter, most OP and easy stuff. I dunno, it kind of suck the fun out of the game faster for me :/

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the story mode and don't feel much incentive to keep going in endgame right now. There's just nothing on the skill tree that I can unlock that's going to make my playstyle a lot more interesting, the build feels more or less functionally complete. Maybe I'm wrong but I just kinda feel like this game shows you all it has to offer in ~10 hours. I had fun in that time but I really hope the devs build on what they have here. I think it could be really cool in a year or two but right now I don't see this having legs.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Coming to the same conclusion as many of you are - it's a really satisfying game to play through, so I don't regret my purchase in the slightest, but the bugs need fixing up and the end game needs... something more. I think it might be an item issue for me.

In D3 I feel there are so many different items that make huge changes to how skills and builds play and interact, that it's more than just "slightly more % to my crit chance" that I'm seeing in Wolcen. And D3 definitely goes overboard with item sets, but I feel like something between D3 and Wolcen would be great.

Planning to go back to D3 for Season 20 for now, and I'll see how Wolcen develops over the next year. I can definitely see myself running back for content updates though!

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
At the end of A2 and the technical issues are just way too severe for me. Playing online with a mate, connecting to the same server, ping sitting at 25ms and I'm getting hurt by attacks before seeing the animation happen.

I'm going to drop this for now, the severe lack of polish really, really is hampering my enjoyment of the game, even offline. Like the quitting the game makes my desktop more or less unusable for a good 5-10 minutes after the fact (it's looking like it trips up DWM), how in the hell.

Just going to play grim dawn until the next PoE league cmes around.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was having fun at the higher levels with my elemental Gunslinger, but it's pointless until they fix the skill locks where you get stuck "casting" the skill until you use it again. It gets me wrecked on bosses. Only seems to happen with skills or spells that are either channeling, or require multiple clicks too.

Coming to the same conclusion as many of you are - it's a really satisfying game to play through, so I don't regret my purchase in the slightest, but the bugs need fixing up and the end game needs... something more. I think it might be an item issue for me.

In D3 I feel there are so many different items that make huge changes to how skills and builds play and interact, that it's more than just "slightly more % to my crit chance" that I'm seeing in Wolcen. And D3 definitely goes overboard with item sets, but I feel like something between D3 and Wolcen would be great.

Planning to go back to D3 for Season 20 for now, and I'll see how Wolcen develops over the next year. I can definitely see myself running back for content updates though!

Yeah, so far the itemization leaves way too much to be desired. The uniques that offer a somewhat build changing modifier are few and far between, and even when they do that, they can't be socketed (those that do not have them can't, and you can't seem to re-roll those that do), so they can be much weaker compared to the items that can. I also don't know if any of their random affixes can be rerolled through the echos, but I doubt it. So far it has just been more +%damage, +%regen, +%defense stat, etc.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Itemization is definitely an issue. I'm only level 55 so still relatively new to the end game but all I'm seeing is the same items with the same handful of modifiers. There's not really anything build defining on the legendary and unique items either. I think that is part of the reason I love PoE and D3, you can build so many different characters around all the different uniques/sets. Those games have been around for years though so it is unfair to make those comparisons somewhat but hopefully they take all the criticisms on board and add a heap more cool items in the future.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah itemization is boring and bad and also it's damn near impossible to eyeball if something is actually a raw DPS improvement or not. Like, there are so many variables that affect it, I really wish the game had a Diablo 3-esque summary of how much this change will affect your damage, toughness, and regen, for example.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The one think I feel D3 never gets enough praise for is how it really makes me use all 4-5 of my active skills in a more prominent way. Grim Dawn and POE I feel I can just cruise through using 1-2 active skills and the rest are utility. D3 makes me really have to decide between skill slots for each build, at least playing a Wizard.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I completely disagree about itemization in comparison to D3, its not ideal, it needs to be expanded, but its in way better place than D3.
D3 one is really one dimensional, you find a set that affects one skill and you build around this skill, where in Wolcen you actually need to theory craft with skill tree, affixes, gems and uniques.
People also forgetting that there are special affixes from Untainteds loot.
And judging itemization without even doing end-game is very misleading as the values are really low, so the character feels way different in end game with high resource use reduction %, high cooldown reduction, high cast/attack speed % etc. And you also get a 5th skill.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The game gets worse the more you play as you encounter more bugs and there isn't anything new to find. Halfway through the game I had all the skills already. They are very fun to use but not finding anymore kind of stops progression and the eneracts you find are simply dumped to level up skills.

The skill tree is definitely bugged. People proved that the % Spell damage actually does nothing so I guess it's the reason why magic build characters are so far behind melee characters in the game right now.

Loots remind me of launch D3 where you rarely find something useful.

Movement certainly is clunky and it doesn't help that auto attack is binded to a key and that targeting flying enemies is unreliable. This will lead you to your doom eventually.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the tree is about auto attack but a lot of the builds can completely eschew that aspect. Makes for a weird dichotomy

Mayyhem

Mar 5, 2018
Is this for real?

I just got thorugh the entire campaign to what I believe to be the end boss... and my game is bugged...

My quest state is "Enter the monolith" but no matter what I try to do, I cannot click to advance through.

I've seen many people online reporting the bug and I am shocked that this is still not fixed, it seems gamebreaking. After completing the entire campaign to not be able to finish and enter end-game, this is infuriating. What a joke.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the tree is about auto attack but a lot of the builds can completely eschew that aspect. Makes for a weird dichotomy

If you are referring to the "attack damage" nodes, those aren't specifically just for the basic attack. They affect skills that have "attack" on them. There's attack speed, which does seem to only affect basic attacks (maybe it affects physical skills that have a long start up too), and there are also nodes that have "melee weapon damage" that only seem to affect basic attack damage too, but those are outliers.
edit: Nevermind. They also affect overall skill damage too, but only those that use a melee weapon.

I completely disagree about itemization in comparison to D3, its not ideal, it needs to be expanded, but its in way better place than D3.
D3 one is really one dimensional, you find a set that affects one skill and you build around this skill, where in Wolcen you actually need to theory craft with skill tree, affixes, gems and uniques.
People also forgetting that there are special affixes from Untainteds loot.
And judging itemization without even doing end-game is very misleading as the values are really low, so the character feels way different in end game with high resource use reduction %, high cooldown reduction, high cast/attack speed % etc. And you also get a 5th skill.

I know that there are certain modifiers you can get through crafting that I haven't seen yet, but as far as the drops I've gotten, so far there hasn't been anything new besides better gems, but I'm only up to level 85 so far.

Last edited:

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
If you are referring to the "attack damage" nodes, those aren't specifically just for the basic attack. They affect skills that have "attack" on them. There's attack speed, which does seem to only affect basic attacks (maybe it affects physical skills that have a long start up too), and there are also nodes that have "melee weapon damage" that only seem to affect basic attack damage too, but those are outliers.
edit: Nevermind. They also affect overall skill damage too, but only those that use a melee weapon.
I mean the passives like the one that gives you overload points or the one that wants you to alternate between attacking and using a spell, I think there's some others like that but can't remember them.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta check the tier 3 nodes more carefully,a bunch if them are part negatives and I keep reading them as purely buffs.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the things this game lacks is sets. When you have a set that you're dying to complete, that can give you a goal to work towards which can also give you a nice power boost once completed. I think in Diablo 3, one of the things I played around with was trying to figure out which sets I could combine for the most impact with a ring of royal grandeur. Wolcen seems to lack any really interesting uniques/legendaries, and without sets, I feel like I've seen and done it all at level 50. Sure I'm not getting many uniques at all but from what I've seen, there's not many I really want.

As much as I want a goal to work towards, the whole "town" thing doesn't do it for me. Maybe they'll get there when they add more content. Diablo 3's end-game took a loooong time to be fully fleshed out and interesting.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I think one of the things this game lacks is sets. When you have a set that you're dying to complete, that can give you a goal to work towards which can also give you a nice power boost once completed. I think in Diablo 3, one of the things I played around with was trying to figure out which sets I could combine for the most impact with a ring of royal grandeur. Wolcen seems to lack any really interesting uniques/legendaries, and without sets, I feel like I've seen and done it all at level 50. Sure I'm not getting many uniques at all but from what I've seen, there's not many I really want.

As much as I want a goal to work towards, the whole "town" thing doesn't do it for me. Maybe they'll get there when they add more content. Diablo 3's end-game took a loooong time to be fully fleshed out and interesting.

ironically most people think sets are a problem in D3 and I believe Blizz even said 4 wont have them.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Sets were a real tilting factor for me. Uniques enabling builds is great because there's gonna be a lot of them and even if you don't get the one you want you get to try a lot of others, sets are just there uselessly taunting you if they are incomplete.

Deleted member 1594

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ironically most people think sets are a problem in D3 and I believe Blizz even said 4 wont have them.
I think they were overtuned in D3 due to the power creep thing.... but they don't have to be THAT powerful. It was just something to work towards to me. I loved that sets actually made turrets useful in that game at one point... at least for a little while. Though I suppose you could do that with just uniques.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Campaign run #2 in the bag. Really flies by when you have an actual build in mind. Did it in three lazy sittings.

That said, I went through 99% of the campaign without dying, only to have to completely redo the final boss three times thanks to being constantly instagibbed by invisible garbage lol

Gonna just play this elemental ailment mage out until I get sick of it. Can't think of any other build I wanna try with the current state of things.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Path of Exile has the best end game. There's just so many different things to do that in any one league you can just focus completely on one aspect and ignore the others and then next league do the complete opposite. Do maps this league, delve next league, etc. The city stuff in Wolcen is fine but needs more variety. I like that they've taken a different approach but focusing solely on one thing, it will get old fast.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PoE has the best endgame now, not at launch. Though as the Wolcen dev's are a) aware it exists and b) clearly not afraid of being "inspired" that's not really any excuse. Though the town thing seems cool (refunded before I got to it), so hopefully they just build on that.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Those doing a gunmage build, how are you spreading out your attribute points?

Also any must have stats to look out for? This game is like PoE to me, most of the stats I have no idea what they really do/how effective they are.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Anyone enjoying, or has enjoyed the story?
I see that most of the reviews kind shit on the story, but so far I'm really liking it. The voice acting is top notch and the story has kept me interested in the game
And holy crap is act 2 creepy. I like the take on the Lambach, it's nice to see an alien take on demons instead of the usual "pure evil" thing. Act 2 really reminded me of Dead Space.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I see that most of the reviews kind shit on the story, but so far I'm really liking it. The voice acting is top notch and the story has kept me interested in the game
And holy crap is act 2 creepy. I like the take on the Lambach, it's nice to see an alien take on demons instead of the usual "pure evil" thing. Act 2 really reminded me of Dead Space.

I think the story is really good....
just unfinished..

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Seems that people already done with the game put in 70+ hours in a very short amount of time. I think I'd be burned out on ANY game if I did that.

I enjoyed it for sure. And yes, I did like that a lot reference the spoiler.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the systems in the game kind of seems to be just there with no thought to them but there simply because other games in the genre has them. There's no progression with the gems at all. All of them are available early on and so are the slots. Itemization is poor as even in act 3 I still have my terrible gloves that gave +28% elemental damage from the beginning of the game since I never found something any better. Rerolling slots is cheap and you can abuse it. There's never really anything useful to buy. Not enough skills to use and the mods you put in them kind of lose their charms and appeal quickly.

The bosses at the end of the acts are really cheap and seems to be there to simply pad the game as unless you have a build made for them you will die a lot and need to grind either to improve your character or respec. They require you to dodge AoE zone that can 1-hit you while you don't even have a click to move button(you auto attack where you click) and the map is filled with enemies and damage zones.

I think it's really impressive a small team made something as good graphically and fun to play but it doesn't reach the heights of the kings in the genre.