• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
capsule_616x353.jpg

👩‍💻 Developer: Wolcen Studio
🎮 Platforms: PC (Humble Store, Steam)
🏷️ Price: $39.99/€34.99/£30.99 or your regional equivalent* (standard edition); $46.78/€40.48/£36.25 or your regional equivalent (game + soundtrack bundle)
📅 Release date: March 24th, 2016 (Early Access); February 13th, 2020 (v1.0)

* Pricing on platforms/stores other than Steam may vary.

📖 About:
[OP note: The game supports both offline and online characters.]

You are one of the three survivors of the slaughter of Castagath. Rescued by Grand Inquisitor Heimlock, you were drafted into the Republic's Army of the Purifiers at a very young age to be trained in the military academy and become perfect soldiers against the supernatural. You also had the chance to benefit from Heimlock's occasional advice and training, which led you and your childhood friends, Valeria and Edric, to be called the "Children of Heimlock".

Recently, the Brotherhood of Dawn has infiltrated the Crimson Keep, a mysterious republican fortress lost among the northern deserts known as the Red wastes. While the purpose of the attack was unclear, the republican Senate voted a retaliation act against all known locations of the Brotherhood.

Led by Grand Inquisitor Heimlock himself, troops are soon deployed on the Coast of wrecks, near the city state of Stormfall, to terminate a camp of Brothers. You are, with your two childhood friends, part of operation Dawnbane, under the supervision of Justicar Maëlys.

Key features:

Free character development
Wield a great variety of weapons and find your own playstyle thanks to their unique stances and combos. In Wolcen, there is no class, only your weapons set the rules for your skills types.

Three types of resources
Rage and Willpower interact with each other, using the Resource Opposition System. Stamina allows you to use a dodge-roll to avoid danger or travel faster.

Chest.gif

Item diversity
Gear up according to your offensive and defensive choices with common, magical, rare and legendary items. Break the rules and unlock new possibilities with Unique items and rare affixes.

PST.gif

Rotative Passive Skill Tree
Make your own path throughout the 21 sub-class sections available in the Gate of Fates to customize your passives and make them fit to your play style.

Skill customization
Level up your skills with your character or alternative resources to gain modifier points and create your own unique combination of skill modifiers. Change your damage type, add new functionalities, grant buffs or debuffs, change the skill's mechanics completely. The options are limitless.

Strategic fights
Wolcen's creatures have complex patterns including deadly skills. Pay attention to various markers and to animation anticipation to avoid lethal attacks using your dodge roll ability.

ApoForm.gif

Aspects of Apocalypse
All characters can shapeshift into one of the 4 Celestial incarnations available, each of them offering 4 different skills, and one devastating ultimate.

Endless replayability
Improve your gear by looting or crafting, gather resources to unlock rare missions, face advanced challenges for special rewards, experiment new builds, become the greatest achiever. Whether you like to play solo or with friends, there is always something to do.

A taste for beauty
Using the Cryengine technology makes Wolcen an immersive and beautiful game with highly detailed armors and weapons. In addition, 8 hours of epic orchestral music will accompany you during your journey.

Custo.gif

Unleash your fashion sense
Customize your appearance by switching the visuals of your armors and weapons. Loot more than 100 different dyes and tune up your armor to have your very own unique style. The asymmetric armor system will also allow you to change your appearance for left and right shoulder and glove.

Difficulty modes
Choose how you want to make the campaign with 2 different difficulty settings: the Story mode and the Normal mode. The endgame is shaped to allow a progressive increase in the difficulty.

Regular updates and seasonal events
We're committed to make Wolcen a long-term game with regular updates and additions, including features, Acts, gameplay content, Quality of Life, PvP, Housing, and seasonal events.

📷 Screenshots:

🎞️ Trailers:
Teaser
Early Access
Early Access #2
Beta Teaser
Beta Gameplay
Story
Release

✍️ Reviews:
Metacritic (60)
OpenCritic (61)

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember keeping up with this game over the years and based on the Steam reviews it seems they've really turned it around for the better. Eager to jump in myself. I think the last one of these I played was the first Van Helsing slash-em-up from years ago!

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit. Buying it today if it's going to increase in price tomorrow. I've heard enough good things to be confident.

Look forward to playing it on the weekend.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
That release trailer is really convincing. Interested in checking the game out, if the reviews are good.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
After playing Grim Dawn and Inquisitor for 300+ hours I needed a new game.
Been playing EA version for 2 days and it is a blast so far. Highly recommend it if you like arpgs.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
capsule_616x353.jpg

👩‍💻 Developer: Wolcen Studio
🎮 Platforms: PC (Humble Store, Steam)
🏷 Price: $29.99/€29.99/£27.99 or your regional equivalent (Early Access pricing; will increase by up to 50%)
📅 Release date: March 24th, 2016 (Early Access); February 13th, 2020 (v1.0)

The game leaves Early Access at: 10am Pacific Time on the 13th(?)

📖 About:

📷 Screenshots:

🎞 Trailers:
Teaser
Early Access
Early Access #2
Beta Teaser
Beta Gameplay
Story
Release

Reviews:
Metacritic (insufficient reviews)
the 2nd screenshot link is bugged (extra "]" at the end)

consider shrinking the screenshots (click on them, resize down to a comfortable display size) instead of using the quote blocks.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Yay, kickstarted this, been in development for a while, the beta was good looking forward to release!

Oct 26, 2017
I played the EA a few days ago and it was great, a bit of a combination between diablo 3 and path of exile. Don't pass this up if you're into ARPGs.

Fries

Oct 25, 2017
Backed this but I don't like the changes to the story, camera, and I think they said they would look at player housing again in the future? Looks nice though, I did like what I played before the camera change.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Does it have some kind of MMO-like endgame with high-level stuff or do you just restart and play the whole game again like in PoE?

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yay, kickstarted this, been in development for a while

Kickstarter was back in 2015 so it's been a long road. Glad that it's finally getting a release. They've worked really hard on it having followed it's development and seeing their team grow over that time. Can't wait to dive into full release come the weekend. The combat feels really solid and performance is excellent even on my aging PC. Hope there's plenty of content to keep us playing long term.

Robspassion

Jan 10, 2019
There are already 2 German Reviews. Gamestar and Golem. The former says its pretty good but has some bugs and crashes and the second publication really seem to like it. It seems that the gamestar review might be based on an older review version but that´s just hearsay. Looking forward to some more reviews and I hope that they can fix the bugs.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
What i noticed as a ranged class when i shoot at max range some mob groups don't move towards me and just die. And a boss kicked me off the map once. But i like it a lot so far.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Is the world similiar to Sacred? As in is it an Open World or more like PoE/Diablo (granted Diablo will probably change that with 4)?

I really wanna play a game similiar designed to Sacred ever since the Diablo 4 announcement because I know that one will still take a good while to come out.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Is the world similiar to Sacred? As in is it an Open World or more like PoE/Diablo (granted Diablo will probably change that with 4)?

I really wanna play a game similiar designed to Sacred ever since the Diablo 4 announcement because I know that one will still take a good while to come out.

More like PoE

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
good guy JaseC coming up with the OT.

Super excited for this, they really turned it around, its quite fantastic right now in EA (and its just act 1)

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Hello fellow H&S fans! I'm currently in my ARPG/H&S RPG period again and I'm currently playing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Is there any other hack and slash RPG besides Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 that offers the same interactivity between characters (with fully voiced dialogs)? I've played Grim Dawn for like 20 hours and it feels so "lonely" because your character don't really speak, compared to Van Helsing where Van Helsing, for instance, talks to and reflects with Katharina about quests, locations, etc.

I don't want to open a new thread for that so I'm asking here. Does Wolcen offer that? If not, do you know any other hack'n'slash RPGs that does?

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
This was already a great game a few months ago, so I'm looking forward to how the whole thing turned out.

My only problem with the beta was the terrible design of female characters/clothing/armor.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Already bought. Gonna be goin into this with friends. Can I get a tldr on endgame? How deep is it?

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Hello fellow H&S fans! I'm currently in my ARPG/H&S RPG period again and I'm currently playing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Is there any other hack and slash RPG besides Diablo 3 and Dungeon Siege 3 that offers the same interactivity between characters (with fully voiced dialogs)? I've played Grim Dawn for like 20 hours and it feels so "lonely" because your character don't really speak, compared to Van Helsing where Van Helsing, for instance, talks to and reflects with Katharina about quests, locations, etc.

I don't want to open a new thread for that so I'm asking here. Does Wolcen offer that? If not, do you know any other hack'n'slash RPGs that does?
Never played Van Helsing so have no real comparison but in D2 the character comments a lot and all the NPC's have stuff to say about the quests, other NPC's and sometimes about you. And you can of course spam the numpad to BM bosses.

Playing a lot of Path of Diablo recently and it's great going back to D2 with some balance updates, some more endgame content and widescreen support. And so far in my experience the online community is really tremendous, especially compared to the PoE cesspool.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I look forward to making my own builds and not worrying about copying the best builds like I do with D3 to remain competitive. At least for a while, lol! I do like how you can be a Fighter mage with how the resource system works.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
The combat looks weighty and meaty enough, call me interested.

Hopefully controllers will work well with this one.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hmm no sure I like the 'avatar transformations'. There's only 4 and it just overrides your build (and uniqueness) if they become a necessity to use. I'm hoping they have a huge cooldown..

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Excellent OT, thanks JaseC.

I'm still waiting for controller support confirmation, but after reading the impressions I might actually buy it today before the price hike. The only downside according to that Gamestar review is that the 3rd act felt rushed.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
Thx for the OT!
I'm really looking forward to get my arpg fix. I'm done with POE for the season and Wolcen seems like a breath of fresh air.
I'm really curios about the endgame and if it succeeds in holding my attention for a longer period.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Picked it up last night and messed around with it a bit. I typically main ranged class but the melee feels really good in this game.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Kickstarted this thing way back. I tried the early access for 30 mins like hmmm... around 2 years ago? Really didn't like it at the time, the open world felt lika a real bad idea.

I'll give it another go some point soon, seems to be getting hyped up around here lately.

Last edited:

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Kickstarted this thing way back. I tried the early access for 30 mins like hmmm... around 2 years ago? Really didn't like it at the time, felt unfinished and had an overall bad feel.

I'll give it another go some point soon, seems to be getting hyped up around here lately.
of course early access would feel unfinished...

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I backed it on Kickstarter all those years ago, it feels weird that it's finally releasing 😂

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Nice OT ✌
any indications about the size of the update?

22gb is the word

Excellent OT, thanks JaseC.

I'm still waiting for controller support confirmation, but after reading the impressions I might actually buy it today before the price hike. The only downside according to that Gamestar review is that the 3rd act felt rushed.

that's alot of points to dock for the least important part of these games, the story mode >_>

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I've posted on two of their official updates on how they need to bring it to GE Force Now. :D