• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Stuck at starting matchmaking :(
The hotfix patch actually makes me unable to play now

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is there a button to see the item tooltip from an item on the ground?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Skeletons really suck in this game right now before the end game, and are complete and utter trash for leveling, even with a hefty investment in the pet tree to add summons health and damage. Only the golem is kind of worth anything, and even then that's not saying much since it doesn't really do much damage, and it also doesn't draw enemies all that well. Both skeleton types usually die to a single aoe/beam attack, or any heavy attack from an elite, and especially a boss, and that's with all of the pet buffs. They aren't even all that good as a distraction either, and seem like a total waste of willpower and cast time too. Maybe there are uniques that can fix this, but right now it feels like playing a D2 necro in /players 8 before the skeletons got scaling buffs.

This is with me also going ham with damage spells. They can't even last long enough for me to kill a pack without getting wiped out.

That stinks I was going for a summoner. What level do you get your first summons? I just hit level 9 with my generic caster.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I've had the exact same issue but Rhaknar gave me a tip that (almost) fixed this for me.
Try ENABLING Vsync, for some odd reason I can now pick up items 95% of the time by clicking the text and not 12% like before
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

And a quick general question. Currently using a pistol with a shield, and basic attack does a spread shot. Just tried it with a catalyst it does a single shot, I didn't realize that your offhand affects it. Does this modifier change other 1h weapons too? Like a dagger does a different type of attack depending on what you've got in the off hand?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What engine is this?
Is it more like D3 or PoE?

I prefer D3 over PoE

Game was developed using Cryengine, as shown in most of the official trailers and footage. I'd say it's actually quite a bit of both. Aesthetically though it leans somewhat closer to Diablo, combat has a bit more impact. There are no classes because of the Passive Tree you can pretty much create any sort of character you want, skills are mainly in the form of drops, Also because there is no static class types they can continue to add new skills to the game over time to increase the diversity of the sort of build you want to make.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I have the full dmg reduction nodes (the major node and the 3 minor attached) and it makes a HUGE difference, the only ones that die usually are the melee zombies now and even those hang around. It's deffo not like "my pets cant die" D3 style tho. I just finished Act 1 and im lvl 23 for reference, and I have a bunch of toughness stat because I knew they would get a % from it.

Are you sure the pets get a benefit from your character's toughness? Even if they do, then it seems like you are just trading damage for toughness, and the pets don't even do all that much damage in the first place. The golem set as a mage is OK, but that's about it. I had all four pet damage reduction nodes as well, on top of health regen, bonus health and even bonus health from the spell modifiers and all that ended up happening was it made my character even more fragile, and the pets still get plastered on anything even slightly important.

That stinks I was going for a summoner. What level do you get your first summons? I just hit level 9 with my generic caster.

Think the first appeared around level 12, if not level 10.

Mattofrivia

Nov 23, 2017
Super excited to jump in on this, but it looks like server issues are still a problem, and probably won't get better going into the weekend. Maybe best to wait a week.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
me and the posse just chillin'

9E70945E7B8235F044B5FA85E673678A6875F230

What is the snake/worm thing?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

the skills arent level based, you just need to be lucky or buy them from the lady (and even then you have to be lucky that shes selling them). And im playing summoner in act 2 now and im doing "fine", of course that depends on what your threshhold for "fine" is.

Are you sure the pets get a benefit from your character's toughness? Even if they do, then it seems like you are just trading damage for toughness, and the pets don't even do all that much damage in the first place. The golem set as a mage is OK, but that's about it. I had all four pet damage reduction nodes as well, on top of health regen, bonus health and even bonus health from the spell modifiers and all that ended up happening was it made my character even more fragile, and the pets still get plastered on anything even slightly important.

well I meant in the sense I knew I would be losing % health and shield so I pumped some mroe points into it than I usually would. And I deffo think they could be buffed, like I feel I could be just destroying things with the OP as fuck glaives or something instead of being a summoner. At the start of act 2 and im killing things fine, but i know for a fact I could be killing shit faster and be more powerful if I wasnt going for summons, but I like them so /shrug

Also summons were like the last skills implemented (they werent on beta) so they probably didnt look at them much tbh.

What is the snake/worm thing?

just a random mind controlled mob from Parasite.

Can you have multiple sets of weapons and quickly switch between them?

no

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Played a few hours last night, keeping the game, it's super fun. I'm not sure if I finished act 1 or not but I've fought a few boss like enemies and nothing has been that tough for me. I'm playing a mage character with a staff and I've put most of my points in ferocity and toughness with some in the green stat for attack speed. Can't wait to play more. Since we can respec everything I'm not putting much thought to my levels which is great since I just want to kill shit and level up.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Played a few hours last night, keeping the game, it's super fun. I'm not sure if I finished act 1 or not but I've fought a few boss like enemies and nothing has been that tough for me. I'm playing a mage character with a staff and I've put most of my points in ferocity and toughness with some in the green stat for attack speed. Can't wait to play more. Since we can respec everything I'm not putting much thought to my levels which is great since I just want to kill shit and level up.

you would know if you finished Act 1

Final boss of the first Act... jesus what a fight. I'm glad I didn't go light on defense.

case in point...

wArTHEIST

Oct 29, 2017
I breezed through the first and 2nd act with zero difficulty at all, even beat the 1st act boss without any problems, but damn.... the act 2 boss is no joke. died 4 times already

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
gonna fuck around with Anomaly to compliment my summoner ailment build, the problem with Parasite is that I basically only use it to MC a mob and then never again until it dies (if it dies), Anomaly might compliment Plagueburst nicely.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, it seems like issues are still a problem. Wasn't able to log in yesterday, and so far this morning I can't get a game created. Part of me just wants to go offline and start killing stuff, but I know that character will be a waste as soon as the server issues get ironed out.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about weapon types. So melee, pistol and bows build rage? Staffs build willpower. Are there no one handed primary weapons that build willpower? I'm trying to figure out what sort of build I want and it seems like the primary weapons are a little off if a two handed staff is the only way to generate willpower with basic attacks. It'd stop you slotting a rage secondary like a dagger or pistol. Or am I missing a weapon that generates willpower? I must be surely?

*Edit* Can you slot a catalyst as primary? That would make my entire post pointless lol

*Edit2* Can you slot two basic attacks? So you can generate willpower or rage on demand?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It sounds like they weren't really prepared with a scalable backend solution... in 2020.. not THAT surprised but it's still just kind of face palmy lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question about weapon types. So melee, pistol and bows build rage? Staffs build willpower. Are there no one handed primary weapons that build willpower? I'm trying to figure out what sort of build I want and it seems like the primary weapons are a little off if a two handed staff is the only way to generate willpower with basic attacks. It'd stop you slotting a rage secondary like a dagger or pistol. Or am I missing a weapon that generates willpower? I must be surely?

*Edit* Can you slot a catalyst as primary? That would make my entire post pointless lol

*Edit2* Can you slot two basic attacks? So you can generate willpower or rage on demand?

No which sucks because hybrids are forced into "rage with a splash of spells" and never "spells with a splash of rage attacks"

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Act 1 last night, mid way into act 2.

I am enjoying the game a lot thus far but I would say for those wondering that the game is more like Diablo 3 than PoE (at least at this stage). The loot is more similar to D3 but there are more affix types on items to get so there is more diversity. There really doesn't seem to be that much depth in the stat point allocation, if you are a crit build you go Ferocity, if you are a DoT build you go the other route but generally you get enough in one damage type and then Toughness the rest (I have like a 60-40 spread and it has been comfortable thus far). I kinda want to put more points into Agility though but I seem to get enough from the skill tree as well.

General impressions thus far:

*Game for me seems very optimized, honestly better optimized than PoE despite looking like 1-2 generations ahead tech wise. I only get some texture pop ins at the start of a level and some stutter but once it gets going it looks really nice especially lighting and particle effects. Haven't run into crashes yet.

*Character customization was really basic however there is a very in-depth transmog system to customize your gear and that more than makes up for it.

*Story doesn't seem to be much to write home about but the voice actors give it their all. The soundtrack is pretty damn nice too. Haven't really gotten too attached to any characters yet but the Cultist dude in act 1 was cool, very ham.

*Aesthetic is like gothic horror + Warhammer type. The main characters look like something out of a Warhammer game but when you are out exploring and killing monsters it has a more gothic feel to it. Production values are pretty high actually, they are using real time cutscenes in some places with like zoomed in camera angle for cinematic feel which not even Blizzard does (they just have pre-rendered cinematics that aren't realtime, there are realtime cutscenes here).

*The skill tree is very cool and even the pathing nodes are very meaningful. Probably among my favorite parts of the game. I spend like good 10-15 mins staring at it and revolving it around to see the combinations I can path through. Lots of specializations and builds you can make through this.

*I like the active skill system but at least at my level there doesn't seem to be that many skills to play around with (even on the vendor which I have bought most of them). For starting out I would HIGHLY recommend using dual wield playstyle of two different classes of weapons so you can use a larger variety of skills at the start (using a gun and an axe so far so I can use ranged and melee abilities). Just make sure you use force stand function when attacking from a far otherwise you will dash into the target (that you can turn off but sometimes you may want to do it on the fly). I am hoping to see more cool skills in the future. Generally, I would pick one Resource spending AOE clear, one resource spending single target, some utility skill that is on a cooldown (like a buff/power up), a debuff on an enemy (for single target), a mobility skill (mostly to get out of bad situations when you are surrounded because the basic dodge roll can't phase through enemies) and a skill that you can use off cooldown that has some crowd control. I don't expect this to remain in the end game but this has worked out fine for me.

*Combat is very chunky and meaty. Most attacks have a wind up so you get that whole sequence of build up, active frames and recovery that you expect from an action game. Enemies blow up in nice bloody explosions from rends. The biggest complaint I have is this weird input delay but that seems to be a known bug/issue (I am playing offline). I would rate the combat feel even higher than D3.

*Game desperately needs various quality of life changes/options. I should be able to see the items stats on the ground by doing something like CTRL + click it or something. I want to see advance item mods. You should be able to rebind your main attack to another key and then put force move on to left click.

*They gotta improve the loot system over time, it's basically just Rares with the occasional Legendaries and even rarer Uniques. The Uniques are the more interesting items in the game that are worth hunting, the Legendaries so far just seem to be sooped up Rares. I expect most builds to use a mostly Legendaries and then 1-2 uniques that define the build. There are no set items so that's good at least. You can apply reagent to non unique items to give them a special property, haven't messed with this. There is slotting in of gems with different color/tiers but there isn't much depth to that, you just match the gem to the socket type for whatever benefits your build.

*Insane bug/oversight ran into where the bats in the caves in act 1 have such tiny hit box that pretty much all my attacks whiffed on them and I couldn't even target them with my cursor. I fixed this by using melee and AOE skill but this was insanely frustrating when I ran into it. Honestly aside from this and the input delay I haven't ran into any terrible bugs, has been fairly smooth for me.

Honestly for a launch title, it's pretty damn solid thus far and it's a good base to work with. I will revisit these impressions when I am deeper into end game and have actually completed my build. I hope the build enabling uniques aren't too hard to get. Curious to see what future updates they have planned for the game.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
well I meant in the sense I knew I would be losing % health and shield so I pumped some mroe points into it than I usually would. And I deffo think they could be buffed, like I feel I could be just destroying things with the OP as fuck glaives or something instead of being a summoner. At the start of act 2 and im killing things fine, but i know for a fact I could be killing shit faster and be more powerful if I wasnt going for summons, but I like them so /shrug

I was getting annoyed, so I started over right after finishing Act 1. I found out that at least initially anyway, the starter fireball spell is kind of...crappy, and on my first playthrough I got it up to level 25, double, and focused on affliction chance. It worked fine, and I thought it was actually rather strong, until I started over and used annihilation. I already thought that spell was going to work similarly to Diablo's disintegration, and sure enough that's what it is...and it's ridiculous. That, coupled with the lightning spell and ice comet just completely wipe the screen with ease, and I was kind of hoping to be able to come up with a different build that worked as well as a caster, but early on at least it seems that these spells are just crazy good and cover all your bases from single-target, group, and even single-target massive dot.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No which sucks because hybrids are forced into "rage with a splash of spells" and never "spells with a splash of rage attacks"
I feel like I could potentially make a build that's "spells with a splash of rage attacks". Granted, this is based off of the Psychic Blades spell, since it has some augments (or whatever they're called) that make the spell give Willpower on kills and critical hits. I rarely have to use my staff to supplement the Willpower gain, so I could probably use a sword and a catalyst while maintaining my spells.

In fact, I probably should. There's only 1 other spell that I really use alongside Psychic Blades, so it'd be useful to have a rage dump when I need it. Hm.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I could potentially make a build that's "spells with a splash of rage attacks". Granted, this is based off of the Psychic Blades spell, since it has some augments (or whatever they're called) that make the spell give Willpower on kills and critical hits. I rarely have to use my staff to supplement the Willpower gain, so I could probably use a sword and a catalyst while maintaining my spells.

In fact, I probably should. There's only 1 other spell that I really use alongside Psychic Blades, so it'd be useful to have a rage dump when I need it. Hm.

I did notice earlier the spell blade had a modifier to use warrior skills for a few seconds after hitting mobs with it

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the early access peak concurrent players was 2k, and it hit 60k yesterday. I guess that explains the server issues lol.
I wonder why it seems to have blown up so much? Even as a backer I thought it was flying pretty well under the radar but interest seems to have really picked up over the past week or so.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I was getting annoyed, so I started over right after finishing Act 1. I found out that at least initially anyway, the starter fireball spell is kind of...crappy, and on my first playthrough I got it up to level 25, double, and focused on affliction chance. It worked fine, and I thought it was actually rather strong, until I started over and used annihilation. I already thought that spell was going to work similarly to Diablo's disintegration, and sure enough that's what it is...and it's ridiculous. That, coupled with the lightning spell and ice comet just completely wipe the screen with ease, and I was kind of hoping to be able to come up with a different build that worked as well as a caster, but early on at least it seems that these spells are just crazy good and cover all your bases from single-target, group, and even single-target massive dot.

I really want to make a tri-caster build for those tri-element passives

and a ranger with the turrets like I had on beta because that was super fun. Need to finish story mode to unlock the endgame mode tho so its easier to level up alts.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the early access peak concurrent players was 2k, and it hit 60k yesterday. I guess that explains the server issues lol.
I wonder why it seems to have blown up so much? Even as a backer I thought it was flying pretty well under the radar but interest seems to have really picked up over the past week or so.
The ARPG market is fairly stagnant these days, it's basically just PoE/D3 and PoE right now is in between league. I saw a TON of big time PoE players playing Wolcen yesterday jumping on the bandwagon.

There is like a huge market that exists between PoE (insane customization/build variables with insane end game content) and D3 (great combat feel even at lower level, higher production values, easy to get into). Wolcen fits perfectly between the two IMO.

Like I have been playing PoE for 5 years and occasionally play D3 here and there (also going on 5+ year)... it's refreshing to play a new ARPG where you don't know anything and are just learning the game with a new community. Grim Dawn was also great but it didn't have the production values of Wolcen/D3 to make it stand out. It also lacked an online scene and that hurt its longevity.

Last edited:

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
There is like a huge market that exists between PoE (insane customization/build variables with insane end game content) and D3 (great combat feel even at lower level, higher production values, easy to get into). Wolcen fits perfectly between the two IMO.

I feel like i'm their target, just need to see what there is to endgame.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Do Offline characters still sync with the cloud save at least? I'm thinking about playing an offline character but I play both at home and at work so I would need some cloud saves.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I love Annihilation. Shit just melts as I beam down everything in a purple glorious mess.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I have started both a Melee and Mage characters last night and I can't decide which one to play and which way to go with either of them build-wise... Too much choice!

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017

Do you just pump ferocity with Annihilation? I went down the same route as you and feel really weak, especially in co-op. I was going to go pick up all the +ailment damage and kill my base damage, but would it just be easier to respec and pump pure damage instead?