• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This looks a heck of alot like Diablo 3 at first blush. The UI and general aesthetic specifically.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
The UI and loot style in the UI puts me off a bit. I don't like being reminded of Diablo 3, but it does look a lot deeper than the D3 loot system, stats, and passives. The passive tree looks close to Path Of Exile with the twist* to probably make it deeper. Watching Quin69 play it a bit, it looks a bit easy at the moment though.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Going to try an affliction mage, are there any poison type spells early on? Also, what kind of status is that, occult?

I'm gonna go all DoT and getting extra stack passives and stuff

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The UI and loot style in the UI puts me off a bit. I don't like being reminded of Diablo 3, but it does look a lot deeper than the D3 loot system, stats, and passives. The passive tree looks close to Path Of Exile with the twist* to probably make it deeper. Watching Quin69 play it a bit, it looks a bit easy at the moment though.

Yeah i dont think im going to get it. The endgame is pretty poor and i get ptsd looking at that ui.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
lnLaO5i.jpg

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, armor design is pretty good in this game, even low level gear has a nice touch to it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
they are deploying a hotfix so Im gonna call it here and hopefully finish the story tomorow, I played a lot today lol.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
So for all the talk of open classes, seems you're kinda limited if you want to use spells ? It's it only staffs generate willpower ?

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at Act 2 Last boss and... Game is damn good so far. Story is full of suprises. Gameplay is spot on. If the endgame is good this can be the goat arpg for me. It is phenomenal for such a small dev team.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Well my character from yesterday when I played offline has disappeared somehow... I wasn't too far along so it's not catastrophic &but it's a bit annoying.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So for all the talk of open classes, seems you're kinda limited if you want to use spells ? It's it only staffs generate willpower ?
There are also Catalysts for 1 hand option.

Later on there are uniques like a 2H sword that allows you to use lightning spells with that sword.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017

Later on there are uniques like a 2H sword that allows you to use lightning spells with that sword.

Catalysts are offhand only which means if you want to primary willpower you have to use a two handed staff. Which is a bit odd since it limits the hybrid builds you can do.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017

Every catalyst I've gotten so far was -X willpower to rage and only made the problem worse. I gather there are -X rage to willpower versions ? Our how does a catalyst help

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just started playing and really enjoying it - I wonder if there's some audio issues though as some areas of the game are silent apart from voices, it's very lifeless feeling. Visually stunning game though and while I am getting a lot of Diablo 3 vibes, it is doing some really cool things differently. Excited to play more tomorrow.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
unfortunately it seems catalysts are only for rage specs with a splash of spells, and not the other way around, because resource generation is only from the main hand attack.

so for example, great for all those rogues and ranger builds that want to grab the aether teleport as a mobility skill (since its a spell), not so much vice versa if for example you want to make a mage but grab the turret.

Infinity Blade or whatever its called, the pink laser sword spell, has a modifier that allows you to use warrior skills for a few seconds after using the blade spell, which is actually really interesting and I assume (?) it bypasses the whole weapon thing, but thats the only exception.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea with Catalysts is that you build Willpower by expending Rage so its mostly designed for hybrid playstyles.

Maybe in late game you can just get a ton of Willpower regen passively to work around it. I don't think anyone has delved deep enough into the game to make min/maxed builds.

Oct 26, 2017
Act 1 boss feels a bit unfair.

Third phase running away from his leap attack, one of the shockwaves spawns right on top of me and I end up taking 3-4 hits within a second and get instagibbed before I can react. Not sure what I'm supposed to do about that aside from respec and put all my points into Toughness.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
My character is offline and I am still beating the campaign. Don't think will be touching online until the online is fixed.

RIP

Act 1 boss feels a bit unfair.

Third phase running away from his leap attack, one of the shockwaves spawns right on top of me and I end up taking 3-4 hits within a second and getting instagibbed. Not sure what I'm supposed to do about that aside from respec and put all my points into Toughness.

if you think thats bad, I got bad news for you regarding Act 2 :p

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I have an incredibly tanky melee-mage build going on with a 1-hander and catalyst. Running with Bleeding Edge, Plagueburst, Sovereign Shout, Bulwark of Dawn, and Infinity Blades. Built up through the Time Mage tree for some Stasis-benefits. Between Bleeding Edge and Infinity Blades, I always have enough of 1 resource to dump into the other for massive amounts of damage. I'm also stacking Stasis, Poison, and Bleeds for ailment damage.

Sure, you aren't going to run a hybrid build that can smack things with a sword and cast big fireballs, but hybrid builds are rarely supposed to look like that.

It should be noted that I believe that the -% reduction willpower <-> rage on catalysts means that the time before rage starts converting back to willpower is reduced.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I have an incredibly tanky melee-mage build going on with a 1-hander and catalyst. Running with Bleeding Edge, Plagueburst, Sovereign Shout, Bulwark of Dawn, and Infinity Blades. Built up through the Time Mage tree for some Stasis-benefits. Between Bleeding Edge and Infinity Blades, I always have enough of 1 resource to dump into the other for massive amounts of damage. I'm also stacking Stasis, Poison, and Bleeds for ailment damage.

Sure, you aren't going to run a hybrid build that can smack things with a sword and cast big fireballs, but hybrid builds are rarely supposed to look like that.
I was thinking of trying a similar build. Does Sovereign Shout boost the attack speed of Infinity Blades? Can't find anything concrete on that through Googling.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Alright guys my game just crashed back to desktop and I'm getting an error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". I've upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers, checked my Direct X level is the latest, even followed the directions for the error on the Microsoft website but it happened again. I played the beta and didn't ever get this error and I've played a bunch of other games like Disco Elysium for 50 hours and never had this drama. I played for 3-4 hours last night without a hitch and now all of a sudden it's screwed. Anyone know what might be causing it?

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
This looks interesting and something that could fill the space before PoE2, however I feel like jumping in now with the server issues and unresolved problem of characters and items disappearing into thin air would be irresponsible at the price point.

Also the endgame thing reminds me immediately of mobile game design - waiting on timers while things build forever. I hope that's not the case in practice.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I feel like I'm screwing my character up. He is melee but I started with sentinel passives cause I love fast attacking but I am not noticing much of an improvement in that regard even though with agility and passives my speed should be 200+%. I wonder if it affects bows and guns more.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a couple quality of life changes that need to be done and boggles my mind that they are not in from the start as they are typical ARPG concepts, such as the overlay map being scalable and showing where you have explored and being able to compare items on the fly while they are on the ground.

Oh and I really hate the UI that pops up that makes you choose a reward while you are surrounded by enemies.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Yup lol, I've spent more time trying to get into the servers these past 2days than actually playing.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a couple quality of life changes that need to be done and boggles my mind that they are not in from the start as they are typical ARPG concepts, such as the overlay map being scalable and showing where you have explored and being able to compare items on the fly while they are on the ground.

Oh and I really hate the UI that pops up that makes you choose a reward while you are surrounded by enemies.
I agree on all of those and I would add:

-Not being able to compare with the equipped equivalent when looking at that Quest Reward pop-up
-Not being able to permenantly have loot labels turned on for items on the ground...

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
If a game dev can chime in (I'm not but I'm an old dev), could the backend "simply" scale up with the demand ? They know they would be popular, you could feel it the last week or so. As far as I understand it, the online is "only" a savegame stuff right ?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Sad servers are fucked right now BUT this game is great. A couple small QoL fixes and this is fantastic.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I don't get from SkillUp's review is how the campaign is wholly seperate from the online portion of the game? Are you supposed to finish the campaign and then restart online with a new character or what?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
If a game dev can chime in (I'm not but I'm an old dev), could the backend "simply" scale up with the demand ? They know they would be popular, you could feel it the last week or so. As far as I understand it, the online is "only" a savegame stuff right ?
Not a Dev, but from what I understood from their steam post they don't host the servers themselves and have to contact their host to manage server capacity and the like. That unfortunately takes some time, and they are already doing that. Another issue is that if they scale them up too much and after the first rush it does down significantly, they are stuck paying for however long they negotiated.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
One thing I don't get from SkillUp's review is how the campaign is wholly seperate from the online portion of the game? Are you supposed to finish the campaign and then restart online with a new character or what?
Haven't read that review but you play through the campaign on both. The big difference is co-op, trading, leaderboards with online versus offline.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Not a Dev, but from what I understood from their steam post they don't host the servers themselves and have to contact their host to manage server capacity and the like. That unfortunately takes some time, and they are already doing that. Another issue is that if they scale them up too much and after the first rush it does down significantly, they are stuck paying for however long they negotiated.
Yeah, that is why you host stock on cloud computing generally, you pay for what you use. Even if they are popular only one week, they'll pay for that week. Though, I don't know how games like that are implemented, maybe it's just not possible, that is what I was wondering.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'll refund for now. There's potential here and after some patching and a ton of QoL improvement I'm sure this game will be fantastic. Not for me yet though.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Does the balance between 'classes' feel way off to anyone else? So far I've made a bow character, who became a dagger character, an ailment caster, who became a straight damage caster, and a two handed warrior.

And mother of god is the two handed warrior leaps and bounds above every other archetype i've played. Like, I can't even believe i'm playing the same game any more levels of stronger.

My mage would use all of her willpower and half the mobs in a group would still be alive for me to whittle down with basic staff attacks.

Meanwhile my warrior just jumps in and whirlwinds everyone down in like half a second. The ability damage scaling when using a two hander in particular seems to be off the charts, as when I tried going dual wield or sword and board the warrior felt much more like all the other characters.

Once you unlock the level 29 ice comet damage over time skill, it becomes similar with just that (albeit with a cooldown). Basically nothing survives getting hit by it except a boss, and that includes elites. Some groups I end up depleting my willpower on, but it's because I'm just mindlessly plowing through stuff right now at level 26. The Psylocke blades get extremely powerful too, and you can build them up to do a pseudo whirlwind as well, and get a bunch of willpower back on top of it.

While leveling up at least, bows seem comparatively weak, summons are definitely much weaker and ridiculously slow, and aside from cursed, ailments don't seem that great either, but that might change with the end game.

I already knew how strong the two-handed spin to rend builds were prior to the release, so I wanted to save that for later.

HUH wtf, I lost all of the gems I had in my stash

I lost my second tab completely for some reason. Didn't have much, but a few gems in it yet, but that's 20K gold down the drain.

Last edited: