• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Hopped into this and tried bow for a little bit.

Overall I like how the combat feels. Feels kind of limited though, even with passives tree feels like its leading to the same place, but I've only been in for a few so maybe I'll change my mind.

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So the game isn't saving offline characters at all for me. They get deleted whenever I exit the game which is quite a bummer.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Played 6 hours last night.
It's good but didn't quite immediately grab me like I thought it would. The gameplay systems are huge in number with me being confused on a lot of it still. My mage is doing ok but doesn't seem very powerful against enemies. I could be doing it all wrong though.
The UI is definitely in need of an overhaul. Resizing options, menus you pull up should be the active window with the game in background not interfering, option to sell all of a certain quality or lower, better tutorials for things like Enneracts (sp?), leveling spells, gems and sockets (way too complicated) etc.
Terrain like small inclines completely breaks my spell casting as it won't hit enemies even though it should be.
The levels layouts are fine I guess. Pretty boring for me visually and mazelike, and the optional caves so far have been nearly the exact same layout with similar objectives.
Loot should stay visible far longer and I'd love a toggle to show at all times as well as destructible things around you.
The skill tree has been alright but without knowing the different in all these ailments - occult, elemental, material etc I don't even know what I'm supposed to choose. Do spell descriptions not say what school they belong to? I couldn't find it.

Ive got a laundry list of nitpicks for Wolcen - actually there are so many little things that it drug the whole thing down for me.However, I like it enough to keep playing - the base is solid. I hope the team can get these bugs and QOL/UI issues worked on because with refinement it could be incredible.

If you are hesitant to buy it now at 40 bucks I'd recommend waiting a bit to see what patches and fixes come. The game will certainly be improving over time.
If you can handle a lot of little things and realize it's not going to be a flawless experience out of the box, and love this genre, I think you will find enough to like right now. I know I'll be playing more. I feel like this game will take some real time to get all of the complexities down. There is certainly a lot to digest lol.
7/10 (after only 6 hours)
Could be 9/10 with improvements.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
There are quite a couple quality of life changes that need to be done and boggles my mind that they are not in from the start as they are typical ARPG concepts, such as the overlay map being scalable and showing where you have explored and being able to compare items on the fly while they are on the ground.

Oh and I really hate the UI that pops up that makes you choose a reward while you are surrounded by enemies.
Considering just how much they copy from Diablo 3, it's suprising they left out so many of the QOL things.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Gearing is a bit more complex than D3 but less so than PoE. I'm glad I don't have to run fucking PoB for everything because it's galaxy wide calculation to do for my build.

I think the best feature is no more flask piano.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Watching some streams of the game to see how it is and seems this hotfix just erased characters and stashes? Not a good look, even if somehow rolled back. Will definitely wait, now.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Flasks are pretty clunky rn, you can't use them while channeling skills or rolling and it's really difficult seeing how many charges they have.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like the shutdown the servers to investigate the lost stash items
Their Discord right now is not pretty...

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really want to play a new ARPG right now and really enjoyed what I played of this one so far but I just can't risk playing more right now. Server issues I understand but releasing a game with major game breaking bugs like character deletion and progress resetting is unacceptable.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
ustq4hwkazg41.png

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Luckily I didn't have a ton of stuff in my stash so it's not the end of the world.

Also a question. Would it not make sense to just learn every skill in the game so that they level up and then just respec when you want to try another build? It's my first arpg so this is all a bit new to me.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Offline save file is simple to edit with notepad. Gave myself enough for free respecs which will let me try out a bunch of different builds without penalty.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I didn't have a ton of stuff in my stash so it's not the end of the world.

Also a question. Would it not make sense to just learn every skill in the game so that they level up and then just respec when you want to try another build? It's my first arpg so this is all a bit new to me.

the one thing is to level skills they have to be equipped. I don't know if there's an endgame sink for that currency though so you might just be able to buy your way to maxing out skills you haven't used yet.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
the one thing is to level skills they have to be equipped. I don't know if there's an endgame sink for that currency though so you might just be able to buy your way to maxing out skills you haven't used yet.
Well I know the vendor who sells the skills also levels them up for primordial essance so if the endgame has us swimming in it then that'd probably be the easiest way to raise them quickly.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I mean I'm happy for them to do whatever they've got to do but it does stink not being able to play the new game on the block over the weekend. I wonder why they don't release a game like this on Monday so they have all week to sort out issues while people are at work rather than wait until the weekend when you just know people are going to lose their shit.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I generally don't read off forum commentary but I think it's a bit short sighted to use the excuse "It's 2020" to make the issue in regards to online server issues from a dev of only 13 employees to be able to match or exceed the issues of Diablo 3's launch issues when that had at it's launch, especially when that had hundreds of people. Hell I bet the networking staff alone at Blizzard at launch Diablo 3 dwarfs the ENTIRE studio for Wolcen.

Even Grinding Gear Games back at Path of Exiles launch in 2013 had a larger team of 30+ people with concurrent player base of 70,000 at the same time at its highest peak during its launch. Even Runic Games at Torchlight had almost three times number of folks involved and that game didn't even have networking features or online play.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I generally don't read off forum commentary but I think it's a bit short sighted to use the excuse "It's 2020" to make the issue in regards to online server issues from a dev of only 13 employees to be able to match or exceed the issues of Diablo 3's launch issues when that had at it's launch, especially when that had hundreds of people. Hell I bet the networking staff alone at Blizzard at launch dwarfs the ENTIRE studio for Wolcen.

Even Grinding Gear Games back at Path of Exiles launch in 2013 had a larger team of 30+ people with concurrent player base of 70,000 at the same time at its highest peak during its launch. Even Runic Games at Torchlight had almost three times number of folks involved and that game didn't even have networking features or online play.

Plus the fact this dev team has included the ability to play offline. If I am remembering that launch correctly you couldn't even play the game since it was always online.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I generally don't read off forum commentary but I think it's a bit short sighted to use the excuse "It's 2020" to make the issue in regards to online server issues from a dev of only 13 employees to be able to match or exceed the issues of Diablo 3's launch issues when that had at it's launch, especially when that had hundreds of people. Hell I bet the networking staff alone at Blizzard at launch dwarfs the ENTIRE studio for Wolcen.

Hey now, don't you go be a human being and have empathy for a small dev team doing their best under what I'm sure are super stressful conditions. In all seriousness though I totally agree, it's a small team and these things and much more happen to mega corporations with teams 50x the size. It definitely sucks that we can't play online right now but lets just be patient with them and it'll all get worked out soon I'm sure.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Yes Ferocity is crit chance and crit damage. Agility is attack/cast speed.

Ferocity is just crit chance.

I'm sure there's a reason from a development standpoint that we can't port our offline characters to the online but it would come in handy a lot right now that's for sure.

It's for a similar reason with most online games that have a multiplayer component. They don't want people modding their offline save files in some way and then using them online.

Last edited:

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
Plus the fact this dev team has included the ability to play offline. If I am remembering that launch correctly you couldn't even play the game since it was always online.
I'm sure there's a reason from a development standpoint that we can't port our offline characters to the online but it would come in handy a lot right now that's for sure.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
A shame there isn't a 3rd option of having a open public p2p based on players acting like a host, which would be independent from the dedicated server connections, but again that also falls into the issue of folks modifying their characters just to ruin shit for everyone else. With private room settings it would still be an option for folks wanting network play.

I do understand the need for server side character data to prevent chaos with folks using cheat engine.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bad showing to be honest. Bought it to play coop with a friend and it's not working for 2 days straight online for me. Hopefully they can recover in the long run but many won't forgive.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty bad showing to be honest. Bought it to play coop with a friend and it's not working for 2 days straight online for me. Hopefully they can recover in the long run but many won't forgive.
Small team and the game blew up when it came out of Early Access. If it happens to a Blizzard it will definitely happen to a team orders of magnitude smaller. Load balancing for launch is hard, especially when you don't expect the big leaps in population.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
Small team and the game blew up when it came out of Early Access. If it happens to a Blizzard it will definitely happen to a team orders of magnitude smaller. Load balancing for launch is hard, especially when you don't expect the big leaps in population.
I get this, but on the other hand they dropped the servers due to a stash bug, which was already present in some capacity in the beta;

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Classic online launch experience. Never gets old.

Gonna echo the support for the devs, rocky launches for online games happen every time. I'm used to it all, server issues, bugs, downtime. I'm way more willing to give indie devs leeway as they definitely don't have the manpower and resources to always forsee these issues and deal with them timely. Not to mention the interest in Wolcen definitely seemed to have surged in the days up until release so it's pretty likely the devs didn't see this wave coming at all. This happened with Temtem too.

If we're gonna "it's 2020" about anything here, it's about people buying online games at launch and complaining about not being able to play. Stop doing that. Waiting a week for things to settle isn't going to hurt.

I know it sucks to not be able to play, but let's how the game is doing once some time has passed to get bugs ironed out.

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. I'll be back for sure. I was there for Diablo 3's disastrous launch. Must feel really bad for the devs.

Still I'm really disappointed as we were supposed to play tonight. Too bad there's no P2P mode.

If we're gonna "it's 2020" about anything here, it's about people buying online games at launch and complaining about not being able to play. Stop doing that. Waiting a week for things to settle isn't going to hurt.

Maybe don't sell the online as a launch feature then? I definitely don't support the toxic people on social media and the shit they are throwing at the devs but blaming people to have the features advertised that they've paid for is a bit much.

In the last week of the beta the online was disabled for a reason it seems. It was not ready so they probably shouldn't have activated at launch and explained that to people.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely. I'll be back for sure. I was there for Diablo 3's disastrous launch. Must feel really bad for the devs.

Still I'm really disappointed as we were supposed to play tonight. Too bad there's no P2P mode.
Yeah I def get it. On the other hand I'm glad they aren't allowing offline characters online to curb cheating. Would be cool if there was an 'offline MP' mode for folks that only want to play with one other person or something, but probably not worth the time to implement. I kinda miss the days of TCP/IP being a default option in every game.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017

Maybe don't sell the online as a launch feature then? I definitely don't support the toxic people on social media and the shit they are throwing at the devs but blaming people to have the features advertised that they've paid for is a bit much.

In the last week of the beta the online was disabled for a reason it seems. It was not ready so they probably shouldn't have activated at launch and explained that to people.
I totally understand the frustration, especially if you are looking forward to coop. Hopefully things are going much more smoothly next week and we can all enjoy the game. :)

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Got to lvl18 playing with 2 friends. Still not convinced I'll keep playing mage, willpower management is reeally frustrating.