• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
During MachineGames recent reddit AMA, a fan asked if the team would be interested in making a Quake game. Jerk Gustafsson, one of MachineGames' gameplay and design leads, had this to say.

Quake is the reason I got into gaming. Discovering WorldCraft and Level Design, making maps for Quake, was one of the best experiences of my life - I even still do it today. Developing a Quake game (a re-imagination of Quake 1) is and will always be on my bucket list, but working with Wolfenstein and getting to work closely with my heroes over at id Software is pretty awesome too.

Now this isn't the first time someone at MachineGames has name dropped Quake 1. Three years ago, MachineGames released their own episode of Quake 1 to celebrate the game's 20th anniversary.

Presumably after Wolfenstein III comes out, MachineGames will be done with the franchise. Perhaps they'll take a stab at a proper Quake 1 style singleplayer game afterwards? Time will tell but personally I'd very much like to see a AAA Lovecraftian horror shooter with today's advancements in visual and graphic design. Imagine if the even got Trent Reznor back to do the soundtrack. What are your thoughts?

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
During MachineGames recent reddit AMA, a fan asked if the team would be interested in making a Quake game. Jerk Gustafsson, one of MachineGames' gameplay and design leads, had this to say.

Now this isn't the first time someone at MachineGames has name dropped Quake 1. Three years ago, MachineGames released their own episode of Quake 1 to celebrate the game's 20th anniversary.

Presumably after Wolfenstein III comes out, MachineGames will be done with the franchise. Perhaps they'll take a stab at a proper Quake 1 style singleplayer game afterwards? Time will tell but personally I'd very much like to see a AAA Lovecraftian horror shooter with today's advancements in visual and graphic design. Imagine if the even got Trent Reznor back to do the soundtrack. What are your thoughts?

Isn't Quake 1 already extremely moddable, ever since they gave the source code.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Machine games proritise story and cinematic-ism above all. Frankly, they're among the last devs id want on a classic pc shooter. The prorities are the complete oposite of what MG does

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
No thanks.

After TNC MachineGames should not touch a heavily gameplay focused series like quake.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
As long as they don't add any "modern gaming" tropes, it would be sweet. Love me some Quake 1

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
messing around in Worldcraft was really awesome back in the day, especially after Half-Life came, such great times.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they don't focus on story, make labyrinthine maps and keep the skill-based Classic Quake Movement I'm in.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as they copy (and I mean copy) Doom 4 template then I am down.

Please no stealth or narrative. That works fine for Wolf but Quake is about being alone in the dark fighting unholy beasts.

Good level design, fun varied guns, great dark art direction, fast paced combat that had lots of jumping is what I want.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
Loved the dark, gothic theme of the game. Wished they kept that instead of turning it upside down scifi in the sequel

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the dark, gothic theme of the game. Wished they kept that instead of turning it upside down scifi in the sequel

Same, though I loved Quake 2. They should have called it something else entirely instead of "tainting" the Quake legacy - funny story is that the game indeed had nothing to do with Quake 1 but they couldn't use the name they wanted so they fell back to an IP they already trademarked. The unfortunate side effect of this is that the original Quake imagery is gone, as 2 to 4 cemented a much more sci-fi look and feel. I really like Quake as a series but it's a shame much of the style of the first one died because of a trademark mishap and the subsequent popularity of the franchise (3, especially).

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
YES! Someone should do it - and make it single player only and make the multiplayer portion a shortcut to Quake Champions with some heroes build in.
If Machine Games tackle this, they should be more like TNO and strip even more story out.

I'd love it, if a Quake 1 remake would take on more indirect storytelling like the From Software games while being somewhat HUB based.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, every dev has 100 random things on their bucket list

That said since we're just daydreaming, it would be really cool to see.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is one of my all-time favorite games, so I was pretty disappointed with TNO's game play formula. As much as I'd love an updated take on Quake [1], I wouldn't want this studio doing it.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Big YES to Quake 1 remake. My favourite in the 90's FPS portfolio.

Big NO to "Reimagining", theyd fill it with 12 hours of pointless story cutscenes; followed by 3 hours of corridor shooting.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It could be good, but i was a bit let down by Wolf 2's final boss being a cutscene, if they try to make Quake 1 cinematic, then it's a no from me.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Quake 1.5 already does a suitable job of this (great mod). I'd rather they make a new single player Quake that uses the original game's aesthetic, rather than another Strogg game.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
If they're going to keep making Wolfenstein games like II, then yeah, please make something else.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Machine games proritise story and cinematic-ism above all. Frankly, they're among the last devs id want on a classic pc shooter. The prorities are the complete oposite of what MG does

I think I'm with you. I love the narrative of the new Wolfenstein games but I really don't like how they play. They feel like bad versions of classic id software games? It's weird. Not that I'm against injecting a story from Machine Games into a Quake 1 remake but I would want MG handling the narrative while id handles the gameplay.

Nov 8, 2017

I thought story was the last thing I wanted from Wolfenstein, but it wound up being my favourite modern franchise. It's really hard to say if MachineGames would do well or not with Quake. I certainly believe they're capable of creating a pseudo-retro experience (ala Doom and Wolf reboots) that channel the Quake 1 aesthetic and would be great fun to play. No idea how they'd choose to approach the story, but I'd be really happy to see them try.

IwazaruK7

Oct 27, 2017
as 2 to 4 cemented a much more sci-fi look and feel.

I would note, that while Q2 and Q4 are pretty much sci-fi that you mention, Quake 3 is a totally wild different beast.

Quake 3 has some very bizarre mix of Gothic + Demonic/Occult/Satanic/Horror + Cyberpunk + Sci-fi/Space, blended together.

I'm not sure if i recall any other game with similar mixture.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
GIVE ME WHAT I WANT.

Quake 1 is pinnacle Quake for me. I know people love Q2 but I always hated that it went so sci-fi and then continued that after. Gimme goth Quake with NIN sound.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I've long since missed Quake 1's gothic stylings over the strict industrial sci-fi bent of 2/4. If they could realize that, go for it. It's not as though Quake 1 is going anywhere.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I would love to see a new quake in the style of the original. I vastly prefer quake 1 over 2 and 4 (excluding 3 since im just speaking about single player campaigns), I enjoyed the setting more and the faster speed of the game. If a new quake cant happen I wouldnt mind seeing more of it thrown into doom as part of the scenery.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
With TNC they seemed to have lost competence about gameplay. So I will not hold my breath waiting for It. Meanwhile the OG Quake 1 still kick asses thanks to some very good mods.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
In Quake 1, I liked how you travelled to different realms, like a high-tech one and then other creepy ones. This would also mean more variety too.

Bavera__

Feb 3, 2019
Italy
For the love of god give it a modern consoles port/remake at the very least if you aren't gonna do anything about it for the next few years

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
A weird necro but Quake reboot by MG is just... ew.

I have no faith on them in terms of game design.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Quake is my favourite FPS but I don't think I'd ever want Machine Games in charge of a remake or reimagining of it given that the worst part of their games is the gameplay.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For the love of god give it a modern consoles port/remake at the very least if you aren't gonna do anything about it for the next few years

Seriously. I know Quake 2 got THE RTX update which is nice and can be played with ray-tracing off, but I couldn't give a shit less about the Strogg. Get me back on my Lovecraftian bullshit

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Quake is so moody, not a lot of great moody AAA games in my eyes. They tend to drain atmosphere. I'd rather have a basic visuals-only revamp, like Quake 2 RTX...

Oct 27, 2017
I would note, that while Q2 and Q4 are pretty much sci-fi that you mention, Quake 3 is a totally wild different beast.

Quake 3 has some very bizarre mix of Gothic + Demonic/Occult/Satanic/Horror + Cyberpunk + Sci-fi/Space, blended together.

I'm not sure if i recall any other game with similar mixture.

Cool bump my dude.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
GIVE ME WHAT I WANT.

Quake 1 is pinnacle Quake for me. I know people love Q2 but I always hated that it went so sci-fi and then continued that after. Gimme goth Quake with NIN sound.
Yeah, for me too. Did you play the semi-official expansion pack Machine games released a few years pack?

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer the next entry in the series to continue to draw inspiration from the setting of Quake 2 (and 4), but I'd be perfectly happy getting another game in the style of Quake 1 as well.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
A new AAA Quake game by MachineGames seems like the biggest no-brainer ever