• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
So I have a pretty weird and, I hope, not too dumb question:
I preordered the uncut game (on card) from amazon.uk as the german (and therefor austrian) version is a censored mess (thanks, germany btw..).
Now there's a whole lot of data which needs to be additionally downloaded.

could this cause a problem? I mean, the game I will recieve is the british uncensored wolfenstein and , I assume, living in austria the additional data will be downloaded from german servers. what if that data is actually full of censored stuff?
could a mix between uncut game and censored downloadable data cause something to get "screwed up"?

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
I preordered the uncut game (on card) from amazon.uk as the german (and therefor austrian) version is a censored mess (thanks, germany btw..).

could this cause a problem? I mean, the game I will recieve is the british uncensored wolfenstein and , I assume, living in austria the additional data will be downloaded from german servers. what if that data is actually full of censored stuff?
could a mix between uncut game and censored downloadable data cause something to get "screwed up"?

Since the SKU is non-censored version I'm pretty sure that it'll be downloaded as non-censored version.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

I believe the card will download whatever region the card is from, which in this case in the un-cut version. Since I don't believe the game actually ask about what account you are going to play with (which is associated with the region) until you actually are able to boot it up. But I don't think that would matter anyways.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Still absolutely crazy that we have "physical" games that have to download huge chunks of an actual finished game (a late port even) before being playable.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
If it keeps costs down, I'm all for it. Not ideal, but the alternative is the game is pricier or just not on the system. At least there's a mechanism to make the thing work.

Still absolutely crazy that we have "physical" games that have to download huge chunks of an actual finished game (a late port even) before being playable.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

Be lucky you didn't have DOOM on PS4 where you needed LOTS of hard drive space for the download of mostly multiplayer-related updates. This is nothing PS4 and XB1 owners aren't used to.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Since the SKU is non-censored version I'm pretty sure that it'll be downloaded as non-censored version.

I believe the card will download whatever region the card is from, which in this case in the un-cut version. Since I don't believe the game actually ask about what account you are going to play with (which is associated with the region) until you actually are able to boot it up. But I don't think that would matter anyways.

welp, thanx for the answers. I hope nothing gets fucked up.
will report back when I have it. hopefully this weekend or monday next week

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Does it even keep the costs down? If you buy these games, you are encouraging pubs to gut their games even more.

I think the larger "SD cards" they would have to use for the physical version are more expensive, which is why developers are opting for a portion of the game on the smaller capacity physical media, the rest on the Switch (or its installed SD card).

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's digital only, these large downloads are a bit tricky, even with a 200GB card. At least, if I want to have instant access to everything at all times, which is the whole appeal of digital. At some point I may have to archive a few large games I don't play often. Thankfully, some of Nintendo's more recent titles have been quite compact (Aces, Toad), although I wonder how Smash will be.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Random question for Switch enthusiasts(It's semi-relevant to topic a bit but not worth it's own topic.)

If I have a large library, can I have multiple SD cards for one Switch that I can swap out between to be able to access different games stored on different cards or would I need 1 giant card?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I think the larger "SD cards" they would have to use for the physical version are more expensive, which is why developers are opting for a portion of the game on the smaller capacity physical media, the rest on the Switch (or its installed SD card).

But are the savings really passed onto you? Or are you just paying the same price plus the price of lost microSD storage for a gimped game so that the pub can save a fraction of the manufacturing cost, an insignificant sum for the entire costs including shipping, distribution and marketing?

Worse still, could pubs be using this as a DRM measure, with the potential of making games obsolete in the future? What if at some point in the future you can't download the missing chunk of data anymore?

Deleted member 27469

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Tell me about it. Like every other game which needs day 1 patch before you can play it.

Yep and yep. Was excited to get my nephew Battlefront II... put the disc in the PS4 and... what's this? Maybe 3 small levels to play while the game downloads. Fantastic.

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's digital only, these large downloads are a bit tricky, even with a 200GB card. At least, if I want to have instant access to everything at all times, which is the whole appeal of digital. At some point I may have to archive a few large games I don't play often. Thankfully, some of Nintendo's more recent titles have been quite compact (Aces, Toad), although I wonder how Smash will be.
How big was Smash 4 Wii U with all DLC?
I can't imagine Ultimate will be less than 20 GB when even Brawl was ~8 GB.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Yep and yep. Was excited to get my nephew Battlefront II... put the disc in the PS4 and... what's this? Maybe 3 small levels to play while the game downloads. Fantastic.
Are you sure that was just installing the game? The day 1 patch for Battlefront 2 on PS4 was just like 141MB or so if i'm not mistaken. Day 1 patches are also usually also completely optional for offline play. Patching for online games are common.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
How big was Smash 4 Wii U with all DLC?
I can't imagine Ultimate will be less than 20 GB when even Brawl was ~8 GB.

Smash 4 WiiU base game on disc was around 15.6 GB. DLC and all other data according to reddit was around 2.5 GB.

So a total of 18.1 GB or so for everything (base game, DLC, updates, profiles, etc.). I would expect Smash Ultimate to be a bit above 20 GB.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
welp, thanx for the answers. I hope nothing gets fucked up.
will report back when I have it. hopefully this weekend or monday next week

If something goes wrong , just change the region of your account to another EU country and download the patch again. After that, you can change your region back to Austria.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
But are the savings really passed onto you? Or are you just paying the same price plus the price of lost microSD storage for a gimped game so that the pub can save a fraction of the manufacturing cost, an insignificant sum for the entire costs including shipping, distribution and marketing?

Worse still, could pubs be using this as a DRM measure, with the potential of making games obsolete in the future? What if at some point in the future you can't download the missing chunk of data anymore?

From what I can tell, the prices are staying where they are because the smaller cards are being used. I'm guessing the price would go up at least $10 or $20 if larger capacity media were the norm.

As to the DRM, that's a larger issue with all digital media. It's an eShop issue top to bottom, for all platforms. I'm not sure I have a good answer to that.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 WiiU base game on disc was around 15.6 GB. DLC and all other data according to reddit was around 2.5 GB.

So a total of 18.1 GB or so for everything (base game, DLC, updates, profiles, etc.). I would expect Smash Ultimate to be a bit above 20 GB.
The game had all the trailers right? That might be a significant space there to save.

I really hope Nintendo does the right thing and ships the full game on the cart.

si2k78

Nov 6, 2017
Those who have played it have said it is shaping up to be a competent port, albeit, at 30fps instead of the originally intended 60fps for other platforms. Which begs the question, is this still an issue? Or has the collective switch fan base acclimatized to the 30fps reality of AAA 3rd party switch ports.

Deleted member 27469

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you sure that was just installing the game? The day 1 patch for Battlefront 2 on PS4 was just like 141MB or so if i'm not mistaken. Day 1 patches are also usually also completely optional for offline play. Patching for online games are common.
((Scratches head)) You know what... I think that was part of it now that you mention it, but this was after release and there was some multiple gig download needed, but you're right, part of it was definitely the install.

Edit: Frankly, my nephew disappeared immediately with it and by the time I sat down at the TV, everything was underway, so he could have been downloading stuff that was unnecessary too. Who knows. Little buggers are too quick, hehe.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
If something goes wrong , just change the region of your account to another EU country and download the patch again. After that, you can change your region back to Austria.

mmh..are u sure that works? I can change region to usa, asia and australia but I don't think I can change to a different european country

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is Bethesda porting TNO or OB? Seems logical.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
((Scratches head)) You know what... I think that was part of it now that you mention it, but this was after release and there was some multiple gig download needed, but you're right, part of it was definitely the install.

Edit: Frankly, my nephew disappeared immediately with it and by the time I sat down at the TV, everything was underway, so he could have been downloading stuff that was unnecessary too. Who knows. Little buggers are too quick, hehe.
Ah yeah, if you got the game a while after launch, it probably had a bigger patch, indeed. Those can take some time to download, that is true. I mostly just wanted to comment to say that the full game is on the disc, but it requires update patches to be played online :)

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Which begs the question, is this still an issue? Or has the collective switch fan base acclimatized to the 30fps reality of AAA 3rd party switch ports.
I mean the only real alternative is not having the game on Switch at all, which doesn't seem like a preferable solution.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The game had all the trailers right? That might be a significant space there to save.

I really hope Nintendo does the right thing and ships the full game on the cart.
Of course they will lol

If they run into space problems they first thing they'll do is to remove the trailers as you said. They'll manage to fit it into a 16 GB cart. And if not, I feel like Smash is a game in where they'd have no issue using a 32 GB cart, as it will never drop in price.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Yeah but your PC has a way bigger hard drive than a Switch.
U can have a game with a lot less textures occupying a lot less size and looking a lot less prettier and outrage over how last gen it looks or u can have a game that looks like the ones on other platforms. All AAA games on pc Xbox PS4 games r big in size and here either people will make threads on how third parties ignore the switch and when they come they'll make threads on how huge the game is and complain.