• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching AJ's review (it was done by another person, who cared naught about not showing spoilers so be warned) and one of the things he mentioned was the repetitive nature of the "Hell yea" and other back and forth quips. To me, it is that dude-bro bullshit that I find absolutely grating and so I ask to those who have completed it, how egregious is the repetitiveness and whether it can be mitigated?

I have almost 20 hours in it and I find it to be mostly a non issue. It only triggers when you do something particularly cool like taking down a super soldier, coming in clutch to save your partner etc.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I am just shocked and saddened by all this. All these wolf games have been so great and sad to see people not enjoying them.

This is like a looter-shooter-lite, instead of loots weapons you get coins that you use to buy whatever attachment you want or cosmetic gear. Movement feels great with double jump, slides, etc...gun play is top notch and new armor types gives you incentive to switch guns back and forth instead of just using one. It is light on story (but what looter-shooter isn't?) but what it does have really makes me mind race with possibilities.

Personalities for the twins were fun. Giving the emotes a perk was a really cool idea and would love to see more games copy that.

My only issue with the game is it is a grind to get the Platinum trophy unless they are planning to release new missions post-launch which would be great since it is easy to drop them in storywise.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The game's review score has dropped down HUGELY. I would say it's one of the lowest rated Bethesda published games.
VM8gJgE.png

RvvKLmX.png

Even Arkane couldn't save this mess.
Mid-60's is a pretty reasonable critical summary. Played it till story completion and I would give it a C, and that's putting the budget pricing into consideration.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I'm actually loving this? I thought it was gonna be a GAAS looter shooter with mtx shoved down your throat, because that's what the internet told me. I bought it because I was bored, even though I anticipated it being kinda bad.

In reality, I'm having a ton of fun, it's a fast paced arcadey shooter, which is exactly what I wanted. A little repetitive, and I'm not sure I needed perks and leveling, or gun upgrades. They don't hurt the experience though, I haven't really upgraded much and I have only died once in 6 hours. The skins and currency shit was super overblown IMO. This feels like challenge maps from Wolf 2 with better gunplay and less emphasis on narrative (understandable for a budget title). Some of yhe worldbuilding stuff is hilarious, got a note that was obviously talking about Trump last night and my GF and I were cracking up. I'm actually really stoked to play more after work tonight.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda surprised that the Metacritic/Opencritic average is so low.
Then again I also liked Crackdown 3, so whatever.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like GAAS hyperbole really got to people. I know it did me. Talked a bunch of shit with my friends about this game wasnt gonna buy it at all until I said fuck it when I was bored after a few beers. Totally expected to hate it, but I do really love shooting Nazis so I took a gamble. Turns out most of the criticism I heard was blown way out of proportion. Understandable because it IS really frustrating that so many games are becoming GAAS lootbox grinds, so I figured this was another case of that. I wouldn't call this GAAS or a looter shooter at all though tbh.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

It's probably a case of mismatched expectations. It's not a story driven game emphasizing each level having a different gimmick. It's a dishonored style open level game with missions, fast paced combat, co-op, metroidvania-ish elements, rpg elements etc. It's just a completely different game. With better advertising Bethesda could have probably adjusted expectations. The microtransactions (which are honestly useless) also riled up the "gamers rise up" crowd so it was between a rock and a hard place.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like GAAS hyperbole really got to people. I know it did me. Talked a bunch of shit with my friends about this game wasnt gonna buy it at all until I said fuck it when I was bored after a few beers. Totally expected to hate it, but I do really love shooting Nazis so I took a gamble. Turns out most of the criticism I heard was blown way out of proportion. Understandable because it IS really frustrating that so many games are becoming GAAS lootbox grinds, so I figured this was another case of that. I wouldn't call this GAAS or a looter shooter at all though tbh.
Indeed. I can understand having some complaints, but every time I read something like "bullet-sponge enemies" or "AI partner doesn't use stealth" or "Too much GaaS garbage", my eyes spontaneously roll. If half of these critics took even 10 minutes to learn how everything works, they wouldn't have near as many problems. I cruised through the entire game, on normal difficulty, with random online partners and by lonesome. There are a few odd design-decisions, but nothing remotely game-breaking.

It's probably a case of mismatched expectations. It's not a story driven game emphasizing each level having a different gimmick. It's a dishonored style open level game with missions, fast paced combat, co-op, metroidvania-ish elements, rpg elements etc. It's just a completely different game. With better advertising Bethesda could have probably adjusted expectations. The microtransactions (which are honestly useless) also riled up the "gamers rise up" crowd so it was between a rock and a hard place.
The game was definitely let down by a lack of advertising, and I'm not just talking about commercials either. Some explanation as to what the game is all about prior to its release could have been really helpful.

The microtransactions were pointless and crappy, but I wrote them off as "It's a game by a AAA publisher. Of course it's going to have crappy and pointless microtransactions."

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the plat. Really ended up enjoying this game in the end.

Once you fully upgrade weapons and level them up a bit, the gunplay in Youngblood becomes the best in the series. It's just a shame it feels like you're shooting cap guns when you first start playing.

The ability that lets you throw a knife or grenade to instantly reload the gun you're firing is hilarious. You can just keep dumping rounds forever.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It's proba get cablught him mzyFju as in I'm nukkjo on obly a case of mismccmatched expectations. It's not a story driven game emphasizing each level having a different gimmick. It's a dishonored style open level game with missions, fast paced combat, co-op, metroidvania-ish elemmkk k no j labents, rpg elements etc. It's just a completely different game. With better advertising Bethesda could have probably adjusted expectations. The microtransactions (which are honestly useless) also riled up the "gamers rise up" crowd so it was between a rock and a hard place.
Yep, that was the biggest problem IMO. People expected a narrative driven small stand alone title a la The Old Blood. Or at least something comparable to the 3 games they released thus far. They gave no reason to expect anything else really. Then when they started talking about how long it was people were expecting a Death of the Outsider or Lost Legacy kind of thing, because games are kinda trending in that direction when it comes to expansion. The majority of the fanbase thought this would be a completely different game until day of release basically.
The advertising for this game was handled terribly. If they would have gotten out ahead months ago and told everyone that it's a co-op, gameplay focused evolution of the types of side/optional challenge missions from Wolf 2 with some light story elements and a sort of arcadey feel with, light RPG mechanics, this would be a much different story. Any bitching/disappointment would have been already out there instead of stinking up release day, and I think people would have been pleasantly surprised with some of the gameplay changes, instead of completely turned off by what seemed like kind of a bait and switch.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm still waiting on my co-op partner (my wife) to be ready to play this. We played the intro and loved it, but it's been a busy few weeks so there hasn't been much time for both of us to sit down and murder Nazis.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The advertising for this game was handled terribly. If they would have gotten out ahead months ago and told everyone that it's a co-op, gameplay focused evolution of the types of side/optional challenge missions from Wolf 2 with some light story elements and a sort of arcadey feel with, light RPG mechanics, this would be a much different story. Any bitching/disappointment would have been already out there instead of stinking up release day, and I think people would have been pleasantly surprised with some of the gameplay changes, instead of completely turned off by what seemed like kind of a bait and switch.

Yeah, if you go back and watch the trailers featuring "gameplay", you'll notice there's no health bars or level/armor indicators to be found. It's just straight up action, which is what fans really wanted.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you go back and watch the trailers featuring "gameplay", you'll notice there's no health bars or level/armor indicators to be found. It's just straight up action, which is what fans really wanted.

The game is straight up action. The health/level bars barely matter. Most enemies scale to your level so you're always playing a regular shooter, more or less.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've enjoyed this but the inability to pause during SP is ridiculous and needs to be patched ASAP.

It's a nice-looking/nice-playing game but the critical consensus doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The game is straight up action. The health/level bars barely matter. Most enemies scale to your level so you're always playing a regular shooter, more or less.

Well, they matter if I score a headshot on a standard enemy that doesn't register as an instant kill, because they're a higher level than me.

I haven't played enough of Youngblood to form an overall opinion, but I can understand the gripes from longtime fans. And if enemies are leveling with me, then what's the point of having levels? Seems like they're there to tick a box of modern game design. Gotta have grinding in everything.

But I love Machine Gun Games, and I love Arkane. This being a half priced spin off, I can look past everything. The action's excellent and the twins are great. I'd just like to see the mainline series stick to it's roots.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they matter if I score a headshot on a standard enemy that doesn't register as an instant kill, because they're a higher level than me.

I haven't played enough of Youngblood to form an overall opinion, but I can understand the gripes from longtime fans. And if enemies are leveling with me, then what's the point of having levels? Seems like they're there to tick a box of modern game design. Gotta have grinding in everything.

But I love Machine Gun Games, and I love Arkane. This being a half priced spin off, I can look past everything. The action's excellent and the twins are great. I'd just like to see the mainline series stick to it's roots.

Enemies don't have levels comparable yo yours. There are tiersfrom 1 to 5 for each enemy type. As you move to a certain level bracket, you start getting the higher tiers of enemy. Most enemies have some degree of armor that you need to knock off with the proper weapons. Beyond the armor, most enemies die in 1-3 body shots with the shotgun and 1-2 head shots with the sturmgewehr. There really isn't obnoxious bullet sponge enemies like in Borderlands. The spongiest aspect is armored enemies like the supersoldat, but the laserkraftwerk or grenades shred their armor super fast. So there really isn't that much of an RPG system.

As for "if enemies level with me then what's the point" have you played basically any nonlinear RPG since Morrowind? Most RPGs have enemies that get level adjusted to your level, to some extent. The point is to have a consistent difficulty curve so that you're not getting constantly steamrolled or steamrolling. Each new tier of enemy introduces new abilities/weapons to the enemies and you gain new abilities as you go along as well, so the progression matters. The game gets more complex as you play more. Since the world is entirely nonlinear in terms of what order you tackle it, having enemies adjust to you while still getting more involved makes the game's difficulty curve very consistent.