• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Holy shit. Sounds like a pretty damn good game being dumped on by the MAGA gaming crowd.

There are plenty of things to criticize that have brought the game down in a lot of people's eyes-- just read this thread. Even things related to the characters and story. But all that white male persecution nonsense is complete bullshit and should be ignored.

To that end, the userscore is a pretty inaccurate reflection of the game's quality, but 'pretty damn good' isn't exactly where it's at either. Of course, there are a lot of folks who do feel that way, but on average this one seems to be the least well regarded entry in the series (minus the VR game) for reasons beyond what those MAGA asshats are crapping out of their mouths.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i quite enjoyed wolf 2 on gamepass. more than i anticipated. would i also like this game? i dont give a shit about the inclusion of mtx.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
This has turned into a "no buy" for me after reading all these impressions. Too bad - next!
Too bad. It's so much fun with a good friend.

I like that people in here call it GAAS or looter shooter when it's nothing like that. Era in a nutshell. But I have to say I really dont understand the bad reviews either. The game is totally fine. Enemies never felt bullet spongy to me or my friend (maybe because we used the right weapons unlike some reviewers who tried to shoot the heavy guys with a shotgun). Back tracking is not a huge issue if you hold E and teleport back. And the game is 20€ if you share it with your friend.
It's not the next big AAA Wolfenstein.
It's a little, cheap, charming, fun coop spin-off.

Last edited:

MajorVape

Mar 27, 2019
Fired it up again just now via the Bethesda launcher and it want's to download the entire game again....I guess that's that. Glad this was free with my 2070S.

Decent enough graphics and the gun play isn't too shabby - but it's all over the place story wise and it's way too repetitive.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yes, and he did. Not sure why some can't understand the scores it's getting. Cosmetic MTX, odd hub areas, lack of narrative in the middle of the game, respawning enemies and soft level gates for missions.

Fuck all of that shit, especially respawning enemies. Saw some videos of bullet sponge enemies and moped the fuck out.

The angry joe rapid fire review exposed some bad shit with the game, I'll just play wolf 1 and 2.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
I expected to hate this game going in. GAAS? Health Bars? BULLET SPONGE ENEMIES?? WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY WOLFIE???

Took a risk, bought it just because I love Wolf 1&2 and....It's the "worst" in the Machine Games series, no doubt...But I kinda like it.

This is obviously a spin off and an atttempt by Bethesda to tide us over until the next mainline game comes out.

Arkane's influence is clearly visible in the level design and "world building" but it sure is no Prey or Dishonored. It is great and elegant windowdressing though, and fits with what this game aims to achieve. Calling this a GAAS product is accurate, but it's more limited than say a Destiny or a Division. It's got levelling, skill trees, raids, an endgame, upgrades, etc... It takes a while for those gun upgrades to make sense and to have a discernible pay-off during gameplay. The same goes for the skill trees. When it does, that's where the fun started kicking in for me. Sure, enemies take more bullets before they go down, but when taking into account the upgrades and ammo types and using them efficiently it's not an issue to me. They go down fast and satisfyingly enough. I can see the game getting understandably repetitive for a lot of people, but the feel of the gunplay and the drip feed of new locations and upgrades alleviate the grind here.

There are certain contrivances such as only being able to dual wield one handed weapons while you could dual wield almost everything in Wolf II. Environments get repetitive, especially the underground/sewer levels. There's loads of stuff to find, but it's pretty meaningless (text, music, etc...). You can check it out if you want, but it adds very little to the core experience (a criticism that can also be levelled at Wolf I & II). Co-op is functional but basic.

tl;dr:

+ Excellent, satisfying gunplay
+ The GAAS stuff is way less off-putting and intrusive than initially expected and works well
+ Looks the tits and runs great
+ Solo AI is basic but competent
+ Interesting story set up
+ Arkane's influence is visible...

- ...but limited
- Audio glitch galore
- Underground levels are tedious
- Can get repetitive
- Co-op interaction is too limited
- Too little story stuff

This is a fun, little romp for only 30 shmackers. It get the impression this game does not get a fair shake because it's not what most people expected it to be. To me it was pretty clear from the get go this was to be something different from previous entries. I'd say, try it out for yourself because it's not for everybody. Maybe by using the buddy pass system? It turned out way better than expected and despite some issues and inconsistencies, I'm having a ton of fun.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
We finished the story last night, so here's my final thoughts on the game.

We picked up where we left off a few days ago with our level 22 characters. I didn't realize until this play session that the Brother missions no longer have the skull icon, apparently level 20 is the threshold you need to reach to tackle these missions. Neither of us had any interest in doing more boring side quests so we dove right in.

Brother 1 was ok. The tower was pretty generic in design, for the most part it was clearing a floor, finding the elevator, and then repeating until you reached the boss at the top. I think we leveled up 2 or 3 times going through the tower so the boss didn't give us a lot of trouble. He was one of the bigger mech enemies and the ground had rotating lasers all over the floor so you had to attack from the ledges above.

But there was a big issue I had and that was my game audio crapping out after the first of 4 or so elevators. I've seen some other people have this problem too and the only fix is to restart the game. I didn't want to have us repeat content so I soldiered on hoping it would fix itself and it never did. It progressively got worse too; started out scratchy and garbled and ended with nearly no audio at all. Got downed a couple times because I couldn't hear enemies attacking me from behind.

Restarted the game after returning to base to fix the audio glitch. We then did Brother 2 and 3 back to back. Brother 2 was the highlight of the game for me. About half way up you need to ascend an unfinished portion of the building. There's some light platforming and if you miss a jump you could fall to your death and you have to fight lower level nazis on the way up. It was fun and a nice change of pace. The boss was the same as the previous Brother just in a different arena. Much more open with less cover and lots of minions to deal with at the same time. Brother 3 wasn't very memorable other than us killing the boss pretty quick because we were level 30s by that point.

After returning to base from Brother 3 the game sets up the final mission. You finally see a cutscene for the first time since the beginning of the game and the plot moves forward. Stuff happens and then you're off to go find BJ in a new area. This level had more armored enemies than the Brother missions, but I felt we were adequately leveled and got through it without issue. Once you find BJ you unlock a new ability. This involves holding your left hand out and absorbing enemy bullets and then throwing it back at them. You have a sidearm in the other hand so you're "dual wielding" this ability when you use it.

Shortly after getting this ability you're at the final boss. He has 3 phrases. The first phase is easy and involves using your new ability to absorb his gunfire and throw it back at him. This is the only way to damage him. Once his health bar is done he jumps out a window and you need to chase him to the roof. You'll fight a few armored troops on the way to the roof.

And this is where the game nosedives hard into a massive pile of shit.

This boss fight is fucking horrendous. For phase 2 he now has a jetpack and can fly around. The arena consists of 4 towers on a rooftop with a ground floor with an elevator on 2 towers to take you to the top level. The upper level consists of a connecting catwalk for the elevator towers and then an open space you need to double jump across to the connecting catwalk for the other 2 towers. The second set of towers has some turrets set up. There were 3 I believe, one is a laser, the other is the diesel fire bomb thing, the other is facing off into the sky in the opposite direction and useless for the fight (no idea why this is even here but whatever).

So the objective here is to destroy the boss's jetpack, i.e shoot him in the back because he will not take any damage from the front. In co-op this isn't too bad because you can have one player get his attention from one side and the other can set up on the laser turret I mentioned and laser his back. The problem is that he's very frantic and zips all over so it's hard to keep constant fire on him. He also turns towards the turret player shortly after taking damage and then you need to set back up again. You also have regular enemies on the ground shooting you while this is going on.

Phase 3 is where things get really bad. His jetpack is now destroyed and he's grounded. You have to do the same thing as phase 1 where you absorb bullets and throw it at his face. Problem is that now he attacks with a laser and you can't absorb that, so you have to absorb bullets from the normal enemies, then run over to the boss and hit him with them. Also for this phase the boss calls in airstrikes, so every 10-15 seconds a jet flies in and carpet bombs the area. The boss deals heavy damage and there's a shit load of regular guys to contend with as well. The whole battle is a massive clusterfuck; there's so much going on and you die really quickly because of all the enemies and little cover. If your teammate gets downed it's very hard to revive them and get away; if the jet bombs the spot you're in during the revive animation you're done every time.

When you die you restart at phase 2. The problem is that you don't revert back to the same amount of ammo you had when you first got here. So with each death it gets progressively harder because eventually you have no ammo to work with. So after 4 or 5 deaths we had to scrounge for ammo during phase 2 because phase 3 is way too chaotic. We eventually beat the boss by having me hide inside the elevator on the top floor while my teammate damaged the boss. The top of the elevator is enclosed and safe from the jet and regular enemies. When my teammate got downed I would wait a few seconds for the jet to pass and then rush over to revive, then rush back to the elevator and heal up with peps. Hiding in the elevator and staying out of combat ensured I had enough health and armor banked to go save my partner. I imagine this fight is even worse in solo play because the AI is not the best at reviving you consistently.

And that's the game. To sum up it basically goes like this:
Intro mission on the zeppelin > short mission on Paris streets to get to HQ > grind boring lifeless filler bullshit to level 20 > Brothers 1, 2 ,3 > final mission.

The whole main story is about 9-10 hours and that level 20 grind in the middle took us around 4-5 hours. You cannot do the Brother missions before level 20; they're marked with a skull icon and all the enemies will kill you in 2-3 hits and have massive health bars so you're forced to grind the filler to progress. I noticed after finishing the game and returning to HQ that my stats page said we completed 25% of the side missions. And that's where the 25-30 hours from the devs comes from. It's about 5 hours of mediocre main missions with an awful final boss and then 20 hours of fluff to pad the hour count.

My friend and I discussed back and forth throughout this experience on what the devs could have done differently to make it better. Arkane's level design is the best thing in the game, but it doesn't live to its potential because nothing interesting happens in these levels. I think the game would have been much better if the level system was dropped completely and the game structured more like Dishonored 1. The game is already part of the way there; it has 4 big districts, 3 have a Brother tower and the fourth has the final mission. Instead of all the repetitive grindy nonsense, have us traverse these areas once to get to the Brother tower and along the way have resistance fighters you can meet up with that can give you side quests (good ones) that reward weapon and ability upgrades, giving you an incentive to explore.

As it is, the game just isn't worth your time regardless of the price tag. I think it was Polygon who said it best in their review; if you want to play a co-op shooter with RPG elements and minimal story, there are plenty of better choices out there.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. I didn't have nearly as much trouble.
Everything just sort of flew by in this game. The missions get repetitive yes, but they're short and move quickly.
The final boss went down in less than 5 minutes thanks to my kitted-out guns.

Altogether, I think the game is okay. It met expectations and not much else. However, I find it really odd that a lot of people are running into so many problems.

Oh well.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Mod edit : We do not provide a platform for Skill Up or their content.

User edit: This website moderation gets worse every days and is laughably bad

Last edited by a moderator:

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Yea that makes sense. My monitor is 120Hz at 1440p so as long as I can maintain a lock at 117 90% of the time, I'm good. And that's what I've been able to do at 4.7GHz and 3000Mhz on the ram.

But I 100% can't do anything like stream while playing or the framerate tanks hard. If I were into that sort of thing or more into content creation outside of Photoshop, I'd be committed already. As it stands, I still expect to get an x3900, but probably not until after the bugs are worked out. Until then, I'm just glad to have found a little more life in my 6700K setup.
Even worse

He likes Days Gone
So you never heard of him, but just assume that?
Well you're wrong.
Assumptions can be dangerous, he certainly is not.

Why is he banned from Reset then? Certainly not because he liked Days Gone, that's for sure.

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018
Why is he banned from Reset then? Certainly not because he liked Days Gone, that's for sure.

I've followed his content for years and I cannot for the life of me imagine why he is banned from here.

He is honest with his reviews which has blacklisted him with some publishers (particularly Bethesda) but his points are always valid.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I totally get why opinion is divided, but I love it. I'm close to the end and stretching it out; collecting everything and levelling up, getting new powers and gun effects...I love the twins, and the story and hub are very much a simplified version of typical Wolf.

Things that aren't fun: the leveling system means that you never know if a single headshot will take a guy out. Thankfully throwing knives/axes usually do, but lack of satisfying one-shot-pops is a shame. Taking out commanders won't kill the alarm, which fucks up the risk/reward of stealthing past enemies to get to them (killing them just makes reinforcements lower level). And the armour system is awful. Pairing armour types to weapon types just adds to the spongeyness. It's poor.

Stuff that's super fun: level design and exploration, weapons (uzis and shotgun feel especially good) and upgrades, powers, headshot feedback (when they pop, they pop), and the protagonists. I usually get bored of hearing the same collection of lines over and over, but Soph and Jess have enough dialogue, there's plenty of unique stuff mixed in, and their delivery is so fun. They're like a couple of Ninja Turtles.

If you like loot, exp, sandboxes, and the vibe of the previous Wolfenstein games, you'll love it. But everything has less finesse. The stealth is dumbed down, the combat is spongey, but I'm having fun regardless, and I definitely want more Terror Twins.

Edit: MTX are nothing in this game. I forgot they were even a thing. No detriment to gameplay in any way.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really hope a mod can provide insight on why Skill Up is banned. From his content that I've seen, I think he is excellent.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just say he has another channel that is quite problematic to say the least.

What have they done that is problematic? I don't know anything about these guys, I am just genuinely curious. I just started watching one of these videos and it just seems bog standard for youtube video game content creators.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just say what happened.
What have they done that is problematic? I don't know anything about these guys, I am just genuinely curious. I just started watching one of these videos and it just seems bog standard for youtube video game content creators.
I really hope a mod can provide insight on why Skill Up is banned. From his content that I've seen, I think he is excellent.
I have literally no idea. I can't think of anything.

Just so people stop asking: Among other things he defended Pewdiepie after that shooting at the mosque.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
It's kind of blowing my mind-blowing that this game is being called a Destiny lite. I was just expecting a simple little coop shooter that reuses some assets to good effect. Wolfenstein's gun play was already barely average compared to others in the genre, even Doom's reboot blew it out of the water. I can't imagine strapping those mechanics to the bullet sponginess of a looter shooter. It sounds like a really bad time and as backwards as Fallout 76 is when it comes to giving their fans what they want.
I've seen a lot of people saying it's like Destiny, or calling it a "looter shooter", but really the similarities are basically just level structure and light RPG elements for enemy scaling. It fortunately does get to sidestep a lot of the monotony of those types of games by not actually incorporating a loot/drop system. You don't really waste time trying to maximize stat points or grinding for gear or what have you; you just gain EXP and plop them into your skill tree and push on. I think if this were Wolfenstein 3 I'd be a bit more averse to it, but as a spinoff I think it's quite enjoyable with a friend! (Somewhat unrelated but fwiw Cyberpilot is also very different and very dope!)

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Just say what happened.
I have literally no idea. I can't think of anything.
I've followed his content for years and I cannot for the life of me imagine why he is banned from here.

He is honest with his reviews which has blacklisted him with some publishers (particularly Bethesda) but his points are always valid.
Why would that be criticized, people wearing provocative clothing that had nothing really to do with the gameplay for subscribers and tips was a problem.
Just say what happened.

Laymen Gaming (Skill Up's second channel) is one of the more well known gamergate-centric channels. It would take too long to count all the shit they've been up to there. One example is that they were an integral part of the harassment campaign against a Guild Wars 2 writer and her collegue. Basically: If there is some form of campaign and targeted harassment going on by Gamergate and friends, Layman is up there with them.

Last edited:

bjamin88

Alt account
Banned
Jul 29, 2018

You said defend him after the shooting, which is completely wrong.
Laymen Gaming is one of the more well known gamergate-centric channels. It would take too long to count all the shit they've been up to there. One example is that they were an integral part of the harassment campaign against a Guild Wars 2 writer and her collegue. Basically: If there is some form of campaign and targeted harassment going on by Gamergate and friends, Layman is up there with them.

If this is true I genuinely want to be shown evidence of this. I wouldn't support this type of behaviour but after following skill up for years I haven't been made aware of anything like this

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
You said defend him after the shooting, which is completely wrong.

If this is true I genuinely want to be shown evidence of this. I wouldn't support this type of behaviour but after following skill up for years I haven't been made aware of anything like this

Is it really that hard for you to google the channel name and incident yourself? I'm not gonna post their bullshit here. They've got a nice "TRIGGERED" thumbnail there and everything, it's not hard to find.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll leave it to you to make your own mind up, like everyone should take the time to do instead of making false accusations and spreading misinformation making these guys sound like extremists when they are not, at all.
All I asked for is what video or good points. How will I make up my mind on what you said if I am not sure what it is?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So you never heard of him, but just assume that?
Well you're wrong.

His content is banned because of his video on BFV alongside his brother/friend's channel, Layman gaming. Bitching about moderation about this when they keep on top of problematic YTubers is not a good look for you given there is nothing stopping you from watching his content on your own.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Spending 20 minutes to say almost nothing is the opposite of being articulate. Mauler is articulate. Noah Caldwell is articulate. Skill Up just drones on.

Bringing up the dude who spent 4 actual hours droning on and on about Star Wars: The Last Jedi and how forced diversity and the sjw-agenda of Kennedy and those darn Mary Sues destroyed Star Wars maybe isn't a great point. Mauler invitied E;R on his podcast - the "anime reviewer" who literally uses the medium to share his Neo-Nazi hate speech and who has written a short list of things to do on right-wing Twitter (which, surprisingly, isn't just twitter) for all the racists who got banned on Twitter on how to hide "subliminal" messaging in their "normal" reviews. E;R's videos are literally full of anti-semitism and white supremacist hate speech, with his only defense constantly being "I'm just trolling". That's the kind of people Mauler does content with. Which was, by the way, AFTER this was all widely reported on after Pewdiepie linked to E,R in one of his videos.

"Mate, you will always be welcome on EFAP. The Young Turks and The Verge aren't going to convince me otherwise." is the direct quote there. Mauler is even worse than Laymen/Skill Up.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I was watching AJ's review (it was done by another person, who cared naught about not showing spoilers so be warned) and one of the things he mentioned was the repetitive nature of the "Hell yea" and other back and forth quips. To me, it is that dude-bro bullshit that I find absolutely grating and so I ask to those who have completed it, how egregious is the repetitiveness and whether it can be mitigated?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The game's review score has dropped down HUGELY. I would say it's one of the lowest rated Bethesda published games.
VM8gJgE.png

RvvKLmX.png

Even Arkane couldn't save this mess.