• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
row-wolfenstein-youngblood-labx-1559654447-1560154015850.jpg
Revealed in an interview with GamesBeat. Not really surprised here when it comes to length as there seems to be a fuckton of side content this time around. You'll probably be able to beeline through the main story in a few hours but the game places an emphasis on going back to previous locations to find gear, complete side objectives and level-up.

GamesBeat: How long a game is this going to be?

Gustafsson:
It's a bit weird, because this is our biggest game yet, but it's a pretty short production time. Like I said, the story is lighter in content as well as tone. But the level progression and the non-linear narrative gives us the ability to add a lot of activities and a lot of missions to do, so the total game time is actually longer than our previous titles. I think we're looking at at least 25 to 30 hours if you play through everything.

Also VG24/7 conducted a separate interview with Gustafsson where he revealed that Mecha Hitler won't show up in Wolfenstein: Youngblood as Hitler was killed by BJ before the events of the game

VG24/7: What was behind the decision to kill Hitler off-screen?

Gustafsson: We are actually pretty strict when it comes to following the lore and the storyline, and so obviously some of these things that we haven't really told in the main storyline, say, from New Order and New Colossus, those things have still happened,"

Gustafsson: We're actually explaining some of what has happened during these years, but we are still staying very true to the storyline. And I know it might sound a bit weird or even controversial that we're actually mentioning that in the game as well, that your father was killing Hitler, but that already happened in Wolfenstein 3D as well.

More at the links above.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
25 - 30 hours for a first person shooter sounds awful to me. give me my lightning paced 8 hour campaign that does not overstay its welcome!

I guess you can always skip the side stuff yo, but I can't shake the feeling that devs these days feel a bit pressured to bloat up the length of their games because you often have people say "what, this game is only 6 hours? not worth a buy then!". And pacing of the game often suffers because of that. I would also rather have devs put all the fun and side lore stuff still somehow back into the main narrative, rather than having that behind optional side stuff that i may or may not end up doing

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I want this to be good man, but all the E3 impressions imply they have doubled down on the series' issues with bullet sponges and weightless combat instead of improving them

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait for it on Gamepass.

And that's not meant to be a diss. I wasn't interested in the other two and liked them enough I want to play this, even if I gotta wait for it on GP.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The New Order felt like it drageed on a bit too long for me at 14 hours or whatever it was, I hope this isn't just bloat for the sake of it

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't bother going back through the levels in W2, so I doubt I'll bother with that here, either. Looking forward to it, but I preferred the first game over the sequel, so I'm not sure what to expect this time around.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Obviously the main campaign will be significantly shorter. I have completed TNC's story in 9 hours on the 2nd hardest difficulty. I doubt this will be longer. The side missions don't really interest me in a game like this, unless there's unique levels for them.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
The side content (... was liberating America side content? I actually don't remember) was awful in Wolfenstein 2, so doubling down on this really doesn't fill me with confidence.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it, though I hope their audio design and player damage indicators are greatly improved from the last game. I can't recall any other shooter that gave me such poor situational awareness than TNC.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would you want a game so short you could finish it in one sitting instead of a long game thats well made and justifies every minute of its content?
Because I rarely feel that any game these days justifies its length in a good way.

For me it differs a bit in terms of genres, like i am just in general not a fan of lengthy first person shooters. they start to drag on for me really quickly. on the other hand tho, give me an epic at least 60 hour rpg adventure like xenoblade 2 and i will take it in a heartbeat

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
TNO is one of my favorite games of the generation and I liked TNC more than most, but I can't get excited about this.

I didn't really like TOB, though, so these "in between" games are just not my thing. I want to see BJ's story moving forward.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really curious as to what the actual sequel to TNC will be like. This game is zapping a lot of the momentum from that narrative to me.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man...Really wished they would bring back the supernatural elements, it was my favorite part of The Old Blood.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Also, it's kind of lame that Hitler is killed just like that. I assume it may get revisited in a future game, but still...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Hitler is already dead? I thought that was going to be Wolfenstein 3. They said it already happened in another game but I thought those games weren't canon anymore.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
GEEZ SPOILERS.

But also, come on, of course you're killing Hitler in 3. Was that ever really in doubt?

Mar 29, 2018
25 - 30 hours for a first person shooter sounds awful to me. give me my lightning paced 8 hour campaign that does not overstay its welcome!

I guess you can always skip the side stuff yo, but I can't shake the feeling that devs these days feel a bit pressured to bloat up the length of their games because you often have people say "what, this game is only 6 hours? not worth a buy then!". And pacing of the game often suffers because of that. I would also rather have devs put all the fun and side lore stuff still somehow back into the main narrative, rather than having that behind optional side stuff that i may or may not end up doing
Yeah it sounds like skipping the side stuff is the 8 hours you want

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This will be atom-bomba levels. So should be in Gamepass or dirt cheap couple months after release.

Doubling down on the sidecontent stuff from TNC sounds horrible imo

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As soon as they revealed the health bars on enemies, I couldn't help it but roll my eyes.

Yeah im seriously considering cancelling my pre order. I want a wolfenstein game where nazis gib apart when i shoot them, not another fucking weak ass rpg lite with shitty weightless gunplay like far cry new dawn.