• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Valve's motion to dismiss was granted, but

"Wolfire may file a second amended complaint, addressing the infirmities described above, as well as any other changes it elects to make, within thirty (30)
days of this order."

So it may not be over yet.

Full doc:

The issues

Court wasn't convinced that Steam Store & Steam Platform are separate products

unknown.png

30% is not unfair, because everyone that took less than that failed

unknown.png

unknown.png

30% does not reduce number of games release, there has been more games released on Steam.

unknown.png

Wolfire didn't describe how review bombs harm consumers.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Well that went well.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Catt vs. Valve seems to have same fate (Waiting for someone to purchase the document)
Judge for both cases are the same, so it makes sense.

unknown.png

Oct 29, 2017
it made zero sense from them to do this. what were they thinking at wolfire?
They did a bad job on messaging their case because iirc the core of it is they wanted to sell a DRM-Free, no Steam Key copy of their game on their site for less than what it was on steam for a sale, and Valve said no.

Which considering the sale would be happening outside of Steam, does not involve Steam or any of their services is messed up. The fact that this is part of the license agreement to sell on Steam was what is being contested here, but they instead tried to frame it as "if I can't do what I want on my own platform, why am I giving you 30%", because that was the byline for similar cases…

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
They did a bad job on messaging their case because iirc the core of it is they wanted to sell a DRM-Free, no Steam Key copy of their game on their site for less than what it was on steam for a sale, and Valve said no.

Which considering the sale would be happening outside of Steam, does not involve Steam or any of their services is messed up. The fact that this is part of the license agreement to sell on Steam was what is being contested here, but they instead tried to frame it as "if I can't do what I want on my own platform, why am I giving you 30%", because that was the byline for similar cases…
but this is prity much the norm in most retail, prity sure wallmart has a similar deal.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if that was the issue, then they really botched this. at the same time, I kinda understand Valve's complaint that "why should I let you in my store if you're just gonna sell it cheaper elsewhere?" then...just sell it cheaper on your store?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Even that is hard win.

Based on Valve's answer, it seems that anti-trust must hurt consumer, Valve asking for lower price isn't going to directly hurt consumer, quite opposite.
So they'd need to show something else, like 30% being too much.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its been normal pratice in retail for a maker of a product not to undercut their retail partners, you do that they stop selling your product. nothing about what valve did here is unreasonable.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I mean its been normal pratice in retail for a maker of a product not to undercut their retail partners, you do that they stop selling your product. nothing about what valve did here is unreasonable.

and wolfire's basic argument that 'not letting us overcharge Steam users is anti-trust' is real derpy and not going to anywhere with anti-trust law

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

They didn't do bad massaging, they tried to go with trickle down economics and blame Valve for higher prices by using Steam developer ToS. Issue with that is no matter how much benefits Valve it is still protecting customers who choose Steam as a platform from bad publisher behavior as much as that sounded strange. And on top of that Judge didn't see any evidence that other stores with lower cut can be sustainable, and similar thing happened at Epic vs. Apple case. It stuck up so much that Judge actually allowed Apple to collect % from sales done outside Apple ecosystem.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't think that happened.

Yeah, there's nothing in the SDA about price parity, and I distinctly remember pre-ordering Mini Metro from the devs directly as the game was being sold at a lower price than what it would later launch at on Steam. I imagine price undercutting falls under the same umbrella as bundle key requests, where it might become a problem only if the number of activations are greatly outweighing Steam Store sales.

Edit: Pre-ordered it for USD$4 and it launched on Steam a few days later at USD$7.

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Here's Dark Catt dismissal, they actually got bit further, because they didn't allege as much facts to goes against themselves.
Still wasn't enough to clear motion to dismiss bar, as mentioned above so they too got 30 days to file amended complaint.

Full doc: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/840584920261984257/911514631988719656/56.pdf

unknown.png

Valve has no duty to provide Steam keys

IKTOvs9.png

Court wasn't convinced that price parity clause exists

XHWpBlP.png

Court wasn't convinced that exclusivity clause exists or could be anti-competitive

bsNzLD1.png

Valve has valid business reason to require developers to provide updates to Steam customers

13QB79M.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising turn of events in both cases. Most of their claims seemed pretty out there.

What's this about the elusive "most favored nations" clause in the SDA then? It doesn't exist? Even Sweeney tweeted about this at some point iirc.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it even a point in a lawsuit lol? I'll never understand why some devs want to have an access to all the perks Valve provides but think it's a great injustice if Valve regulates them in any way.

Want to sell steam keys while not releasing game on Steam, ie. outsource all fees to Valve, but keep all the profits.

Oct 31, 2017
Why is it even a point in a lawsuit lol? I'll never understand why some devs want to have an access to all the perks Valve provides but think it's a great injustice if Valve regulates them in any way.
The weird thing is that if anything as a company valve is pretty damn forgiving with its policies about keys sold on third party stores, dev websites, etc.

A lot of these "Tim Sweeney-ish" sentiments against the company, especially when coming from indie developers like in this case, often seem to boil down to "I want to benefit from your service, infrastructure and user base without recognizing to it any merit or value".

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Want to sell steam keys while not releasing game on Steam, ie. outsource all fees to Valve, but keep all the profits.
I don't think any judge will grant someone's wish to use someone else's infrastructure without giving them anything in return.
The weird thing is that if anything as a company valve is pretty damn forgiving with its policies about keys sold on third party stores, dev websites, etc.

A lot of these "Tim Sweeney-ish" sentiments against the company, especially when coming from indie developers like in this case, often seem to boil down to "I want to benefit from your service, infrastructure and user base without recognizing to it any merit or value".
Yeah. Weirdest thing is IIRC Epic used Steam as a positive example of a market leader who allows for competition during the Apple trial. But I guess a lot of people bought into Sweeney's PR during the infancy of EGS when Valve was enemy number 1.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Weird to go to court without even a shred of evidence - no emails, nothing. What exactly were they hoping for?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

Valve bad because Humble Store temporarily run out of ARK Survival keys while on 90% discount, 8 months after it was free on Epic Games Store. Obviously Valve was retaliating due to being free on Epic and not giving keys due to that.

(Yes this is real argument from lawsuit)

I don't think any judge will grant someone's wish to use someone else's infrastructure without giving them anything in return.

And they shouldn't be. This dismissal & Epic vs Apple trial are definitely good signs that judges won't be allowing it.

Weird to go to court without even a shred of evidence - no emails, nothing. What exactly were they hoping for?

Probably to have something to overcome dismissal stage (where you don't need to just show that it's plausible, with any facts taken as true) and get to discovery and hope they can find some evidence from Valve's office's / computers.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Unsurprising turn of events in both cases. Most of their claims seemed pretty out there.

What's this about the elusive "most favored nations" clause in the SDA then? It doesn't exist? Even Sweeney tweeted about this at some point iirc.

It doesn't exist. Sweeney claimed in 2019 that he confirmed with unnamed devs that price parity is "expected", but there's no actual proof of this being the case (frankly, it's almost certainly a lie, as several months later, he falsely claimed Valve's policies on key generation were the reason why YsNet couldn't offer belated Steam keys to Shenmue 3 backers displeased with the EGS exclusivity deal), so I think Wolfire didn't actually do any research and just assumed he knew what he was talking about. Oops.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't exist. Sweeney claimed in 2019 that he confirmed with unnamed devs that price parity is "expected" but there's no actual proof of this being the case, so I think Wolfire didn't actually do any research and just assumed he knew what he was talking about. Oops.

Should call him in for expert testimony if they appeal this or w/e 🤡

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't exist. Sweeney claimed in 2019 that he confirmed with unnamed devs that price parity is "expected", but there's no actual proof of this being the case (frankly, it's almost certainly a lie, as several months later, he falsely claimed Valve's policies on key generation were the reason why YsNet couldn't offer belated Steam keys to Shenmue 3 backers displeased with the EGS exclusivity deal), so I think Wolfire didn't actually do any research and just assumed he knew what he was talking about. Oops.
My understanding is that Valve would have happily provided Steam keys for Shenmue 3, but would have required the game to be listed on Steam for sale too. It was Epic that prevented this happening (by paying to have the Steam release postponed).

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
My understanding is that Valve would have happily provided Steam keys for Shenmue 3, but would have required the game to be listed on Steam for sale too. It was Epic that prevented this happening (by paying to have the Steam release postponed).

Sweeney asserted that was why YsNet couldn't give disgruntled backers the option of receiving a Steam key following the expiration of the exclusivity deal, but when people began pointing out that no such stipulation existed in the Steamworks documentation (which Sweeney must have forgotten was made public when Valve announced Steam Direct), hey-presto, a few days later, YsNet announced they'd have that choice after all. It was abundantly clear Epic didn't want the option on the table so it could secure the backers as users.

Last edited:

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Their rebuttal sounds more batshit insane and delusional compared to their previous one.

Bunch of dummies.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden

This is the part I don't get. If they want to sell it on their own, without any involvement from Steam, then why are they on Steam?