• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a joke. I once bought a tablet and the mail carrier just threw the box at my screen door, breaking the tablet.

This is really how it works in the US.

So there is no proof of delivery needed for the driver, no signature, nothing? Leaving it in front of the house counts as delivered? What if you come home and the package is gone? I'd be scared to order something expensive.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Nothing wrong with restraining someone that broke the law, I don't understand some of you.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this how you function in the real world? Just randomly insulting people, as opposed to actually engaging with a discussion anyone is having?

I mean, as far as I can tell, no one in this thread has defended thievery. At most, some have resisted the urge to respond to mundane criminal behavior in a dehumanizing fashion, and have tried to create space for more reasoned, empathetic, productive responses. You might disagree with their approach or their reasons for it, but a version of this thread that was nothing but a series of "lol good fuck that scrum!" posts would not be interesting to read. Plus, considering the role of dehumanization in our (or rather, the United States') justice system, feeling conflicted about the language we use to discuss people who commit crimes does not require a low amount of real world experience.
Randomly insulting people? When there is a proper discussion to be had I will gladly have it. I will not however, waste my time. Not every thought deserves to be heard. I don't listen to alt-right or nazi bullshit, because it's just that. I'm not comparing you to a nazi, just making an example of another issue where people are constantly pulling the "just listen to what they have to say" card.

Some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous. Stealing is a very serious offense. Having respect for other people, and their property, is a very basic ideal myself and the majority of people on this planet agree with. When you violate this ideal, you deserve to deal with the consequences. If you don't want to deal with the consequences, don't steal. Pretty simple. Am I saying this person should be lynched in the street for everyone to see? No. But I'm not going to have any sympathy for someone who steals, and then lies about it when caught redhanded. Whether she has a drug issue or not does not matter. There are many drug addicts who don't resort to stealing packages off people's property. As someone who has family who are addicts, I find it very offensive how that is used as an excuse for her actions.

Stealing is not a mundane crime, which is what people, including yourself, have tried to argue. You're defending her actions. Just because you don't outright say "I support thieves" doesn't mean that isn't what you're doing. Of course the judicial system is a mess, in many ways, but that has literally nothing to do with anything. You're just making arguments that have the veil of validity, but in the end your main point doesn't work.

I will say it again, I don't understand how people who think like this function in everyday society, because society has made it pretty clear, for a very long time now, that stealing is wrong. But I've also learned along time ago many people on this board couldn't really care less about their fellow humans, and just want to act like they do.

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
Lol her whole world collapsed when that car pulled away and those paws got put on her. She did not see that coming. Welp...play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Somehow, I'm sure she'll be back at it next holiday season.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with restraining someone that broke the law, I don't understand some of you.
c1a3lpdf.jpg

This thread in a nutshell.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
I'm not "defending" the thief. I'm railing against a blatant lack of empathy on a considerable number of posters' parts and also the failure that is the USA's justice system.

There's no empathy from me in this case. She wasn't out homeless on the street and snuck some food as a last act of starving or something

I don't know what's in the box but something tells me it's not food, so what justifies the theft?

And ultimately no one has a right to tread on private property unless given express permission. She had no right to even step foot on that driveway

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't which is why I said everything happens.

However I would caution allowing oneself to be taken over by such flight or fight responses and going too far and not realising the level of danger you could unwittingly be running into.

Because there are cases indeed, of unarmed people stopping armed robbers. And those cases don't always have favourable outcomes.

And in the case of fighting over a parcel. My ooda whatsit would be like "just call the cops" lol.
That's the thing, though. You can't caution someone about what to do during acute stress response. It's their instinct taking over. Instinct may very well be wrong, but it's hard to train people to go against their will when rational thought isn't making the decision but chemical reactions in the body making your decisions. Extensive training is the only way to change that instinct, but we see that doesn't work either when you read stories about law enforcement doing dumb shit.

Last edited:

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is actually very interesting to me, because I was raised with what was clearly a very different value system from your's.

Material possessions can be replaced. In fact, most of the things we own are mass-produced. Physical and especially psychological damage, on the other hand, can be permanent, and the impact a life of drug abuse and prison can have on an individual takes priority to me far above what any material possessions ever will.

Most importantly, I recognize that I could have been that person had the circumstances of my life changed at any point. That's the thing that gets me the most. Everyone loses out when crimes occur, but what lead up to those crimes occurring is most important to me, because if we actually want anything to get better we have to understand the causative factors... and fix them. Change things so that people don't commit crimes again.

Ultimately, any one of us could have been that criminal had things changed, and that is why I want to show compassion to even those who commit such crimes, and not only to the victims (who are also, naturally, deserving of our sympathy - but literally no one here will argue against that, so I'm only saying that in case you think I've forgotten).
I mean, I literally linked to an article of the Scandinavian prison system as an example of what should be done. Do you need me to link you to it again?

At any rate, dehumanizing criminals is a major contributor to a straightforward lack of empathy towards said criminals, and there is a lot of dehumanizing behavior going around in threads like these. You can't actually be serious about recognizing how poor the circumstances of these peoples' lives are while also calling them "scum" and fantasizing about all the ways you'd beat the stuffing out of them for your material possessions. These actions do not coincide, sorry to say.

The most we should want is for them to go to prison and for prison to actually help these people recover from their circumstances. That is all. No fantasizing about beating them up, no calling them "scum" and other derogatory names and treating them like subhumans, just... go to prison, do your time, and hopefully come out a better person in the end. However, since American prison is a shitfest and reform is currently nowhere in sight, all I have left is admonishing people for supporting this status quo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why does the number of repeat offenses matter?

Do you deny that intervention is necessary in this case, and that proper treatment could prevent such a large number of repeat offenses? I mean, if the system were actually working properly, of course she wouldn't have such a long rap sheet to begin with...
Sure material possessions can be replaced. But what if it was the day before Xmas and that package was the only gift a family can afford to give their child. And now it's gone. You mentioned emotional damage, well there you go. Everyone gets dealt a shitty hand. Not everyone steals. And it's not the victims burden to care what happens to the thief. It's not society's burden. It's the perps responsibility to change their life around as so many other people have done. Just because your a criminal or drug addict or whatever doesn't mean you have to stay that forever. And again, I don't care and it's not my problem what lead to a person being a criminal. I could toe to toe with anyone regarding shitty hands dealt in life, and so could a lot of people, and I didn't turn to a life of drugs and crime. You said that could have been you. Well guess What? It's not. Because you made better decisions and this lady can make better decisions. But after 20 plus arrests, I think we know where this story ends. Society didn't fail her. She failed society.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes i'll read the first page of a topic like this and then try to guess what kind of shitstorm it has turned into by page 10.

At least the dogs were ok.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People like Smarmy only seem to care if it ever happens to themselves. Just preach holier than thou pacifistic standpoints claiming empathy, while not having a lick of empathy for the actual victim of what happened here.

Theshow84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SOMD
I had a co-worker catch a guy going through his mailbox, which had a paycheck from a new job because he did not have direct deposit set up. had he not chased him down and beat him until he got his mail back he likely would have had his phone and power turned off.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From reading this thread it mainly seems like people think celebrating that a thief got caught is equivalent to a lack of empathy. They're mutually exclusive things.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes i'll read the first page of a topic like this and then try to guess what kind of shitstorm it has turned into by page 10.

At least the dogs were ok.
Bahaha, just did this exact thing.

What I don't get is the perps seemed to be alright financially. The car looked like a Cadillac, and the package thief looked to be well dressed, I bet her boots were $100 or more. I'm fine with the reaction from the victim, all she did was restrain the perp, she could've done a lot worse. People who steal from other people get very little sympathy from me. If you're gonna steal, steal from banks and corporations, don't take from regular people.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not defending the accomplice, he or she needs to be in trouble for this too, but its just a package. If that happened to me (as the nanny) and I just saw a wannabe thief almost get run over by their accomplice, I might be pissed at the theft but my first instinct is to get them to a doctor if they need it, not suspiciously spend a minute out of view of the camera physically "detaining" them. I've been stolen from plenty of times in my life, and if I can simply take the item back I will, and in most cases I'll report it if its worth it, but playing citizen cop... nah, sorry, not over some baby stuff I can replace (or in my cases, some tools and a shovel one time, a Playstation another, an N64 another, lots of little collectibles and games here or there). I'm not well off by any means either. The thief herself threw the package in the car, the nanny isn't necessarily getting it back by detaining her, so the only reason to detain her is so she can be charged by the cops, ie punished. That's revenge in my book.
I don't know if SmarmySmurf is just trolling or not, but if he isn't, that is the stupidest thing I've read on ERA so far. A criminal shouldn't be punished for his or her crime, because that would be revenge.

I'm so glad this site has an ignore feature.

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people defending thiefs... I don't care what your reason is. You steal you get a kick in the teeth. Maybe 2 or 3 more for good measure.

Oct 27, 2017
this comment got a warning? You serious? Defending thieves?

Wow...

Yup. Supposedly if someone is dumb enough to be caught doing illegal shit 20 times we have to ignore that fact and treat them as if then are a perfectly normal member of society. Fuck that.

That woman deserves everything bad that comes to her. Coddling these people is the damn problem!

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
Stealing packages is the weirdest thing to me. Like you have no idea what you are getting. I order so much random shit on Amazon you could be getting a cat litter mat for all you know. I'm glad she was caught though, you can be damn sure this wasn't the only house they've done this to. I'm in the process of potentially buying a home and one of the first things I thought of doing was install some security cameras on the door, basically for this reason. It has a fenced in yard so I'm just going to have to make sure the mail carriers place (hopefully not throw over) the packages in there.

EMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One benefit of living in an apartment is that if I'm not there to take the package, the carrier hands it over to the office for safe keeping.

This hasn't worked for every situation though, back when I ordered my Note 7, it was in a shipping box barely larger than the phone box itself and left behind my screen door. I was quite upset to find it like that, even more angry when I had to return it.

Edit: As for restraining the criminal, they probably can attempt to sue even though they broke the law.

Personally, I hate thieves and definitely would have beaten them up if caught.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Gosh, some of you are so naive or can't relate to a situation cause you've never had it happen. That's the only thing I can think

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
These package thieves can be so hard to catch, even with cameras. People almost never see their stuff returned. Glad one of these assholes got caught.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Stealing packages is the weirdest thing to me. Like you have no idea what you are getting. I order so much random shit on Amazon you could be getting a cat litter mat for all you know. I'm glad she was caught though, you can be damn sure this wasn't the only house they've done this to. I'm in the process of potentially buying a home and one of the first things I thought of doing was install some security cameras on the door, basically for this reason. It has a fenced in yard so I'm just going to have to make sure the mail carriers place (hopefully not throw over) the packages in there.
And the way they pack shit you never know. I got a couple of 5 dollar dvds from amazon, and they came in a box big enough for a laptop.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Ah I love watching instant karma, especially when it's happening to some thieving low life piece of shit

Fuck thieves! No sympathy for them. A year ago to this day my house was burglarized in the middle of the night while we were in the house sleeping and had no idea until my wife was leaving for work and saw our TV and PS4 missing. Then we found out they took her wedding ring too. Thank god we hand renters insurance because of course the cops don't give a flying fuck about burglars and no Justice was served

Oct 25, 2017
I got an anxiety attack when the small dog ran almost onto the street. Since my dog got ran over that shit haunts me.
I know, that shouldn't be my takeaway here but man...

Zephyrus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The needlessly aggressive call for more violence got the warning, I'd imagine.
oh won't somebody please think of the thieves...

I've seen MUCH worse here when it's for scum like the alt-right or that imbecile that americans have for a president and I don't see warnings (rightfully absent) when people shit on them.

Why is this different? Scum is scum.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I've seen MUCH worse here when it's for scum like the alt-right or that imbecile that americans have for a president and I don't see warnings (rightfully absent) when people shit on them.

Calling for violence in a needlessly aggressive way is generally something the staff seem to warn for.

Take it up with them if you think it's imba.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
This is awesome. Glad she was caught.

The most surprising thing is that whoever was driving the car just took off without her. She really could've been killed. Morons.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone saying they'd be annoyed with a package left in the open on their doorstep: Have you had packages stolen and not been able to quickly get a replacement or refund from the seller?

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

hmmm, I do admit that I am much more okay with alt-right and nazi scum getting their shit kicked in than thieves. I wonder why that is.

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone saying they'd be annoyed with a package left in the open on their doorstep: Have you had packages stolen and not been able to quickly get a replacement or refund from the seller?

So what? Because it might be replaced that makes theft ok? You do understand this type of theft raises the cost of things for everybody that's not a thief? And having your stuff stolen is very aggravating?

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Watching the video in the OP led me down a small rabbit hole to some strange fake cheaters video. The situations where the "dad" or "boyfriend" get caught are absurd and the actors are pretty bad.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

whats more annoying

Ordering a thing and getting it delivered and then now you have it and you are totally done with the transaction

or

Ordering a thing and it gets delivered but you dont have it and you have something to deal with now

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oh yes, that's just as simple as having the thing you asked for delivered unstolen and undamaged.

wtf