• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
The nanny's property wasn't stolen, you're illiterate.
Its worked for me fine so far. Good luck with your sociopathy.
Ah yes, you got me. Technically it wasn't hers. It was the owner of the property. You got me.

Also, I'm a sociopath because I'm not a pushover that lets people get away with crimes committed against myself and my friends? Okay. I sincerely hope you don't have any dependents relying on you in any sort of emergency situation because I certainly wouldn't be comfortable relying on someone like you as my father/significant other/friend/whatever.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Ah yes, you got me. Technically it wasn't hers. It was the owner of the property. You got me.

Also, I'm a sociopath because I'm not a pushover that lets people get away with crimes committed against myself and my friends? Okay. I sincerely hope you don't have any dependents relying on you in any sort of emergency situation because I certainly wouldn't be comfortable relying on someone like you as my father/significant other/friend/whatever.

Sarcasm doesn't change the fact that your entire premise was false. It was a petty theft, nothing was on the line except a box of stuff, no one was at any risk. People can depend on me just fine regardless of your opinions when something serious happens. I'll take a petty thief for a neighbor over people like the lot of you any day.

Oct 28, 2017
Sarcasm doesn't change the fact that your entire premise was false. It was a petty theft, nothing was on the line except a box of stuff, no one was at any risk. People can depend on me just fine regardless of your opinions when something serious happens. I'll take a petty thief for a neighbor over people like the lot of you any day.

A box of stuff (gifts for her one year old child) that the owner paid for with her hard earned money. Based on what came out later about the woman in question, repeat offender. 20 arrests in the last seven years with outstanding warrants for drugs and and theft. Enjoy your new neighbor I guess.

Frankly the fact that this nanny took ownership of the situation as if it were her own purchase and property makes her a hero and even the police department is telling her "we're hiring".

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Have you been reading the topic? Some of them are trying hard to keep it in line but they are seething over this petty theft, because clearly this is the real issue of our times.
The way I figure it, the person did a bad thing and bad things happened to her as a result. She broke the law and should be punished accordingly. No more and no less. I haven't read the topic, but it seems like two extremes are clashing rather than just viewing this as a "world's dumbest criminals" video, which I imagine was the intention of the OP.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Let's all stop with the name-calling. Some of you guys are getting way too heated in this discussion, and you probably need to step off for a second to cool down. Please do just that, or I'll be forced to give out short bans so you don't have any other option.

Jerry

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

While I agree with your last sentence for the most part, letting someone get away with personal theft - when you can do something about it - is nuts.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
As a person that had many 'vanished' packages I enjoyed this much more than a good person should.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017

The idea that it's best to avoid getting hurt over property is totally valid. I agree in a lot of situations that it is best to stay out of the way than taking your chances on catching a criminal. You're big TV isn't worth the chance of dying over.

But people should be held responsible for their actions. This person happened to take it upon themselves and were successful in catching a criminal. That's cool. I probably wouldn't have done it myself, but kudos for catching a repeat criminal.

Don't downplay theft as just "taking a bag of stuff." In general terms, yep, it's stuff. Replaceable. But it's embarrassing. As a victim of theft, it is humiliating and infuriating. Most spend a huge part of their lives working to make money and get things that make them happy.

Outside of responses to that argument: LOL, that getaway driver is the worst getaway driver. Got spooked way to easy!

Lima

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this was covered in this thread already but I will never understand why drivers just deliver packages to the front door and shit in the US. Fucking lol.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get it, you guys value things over people and have trouble with reading comprehension to boot (since the bolded was never said). It's okay, I'm sure the well off 10%er family appreciates your angry sympathy, and the dirty little 90%er druggie thief will get what she deserves for her petty crime. I'm sure Trump would agree with you Ronin, so be happy.

The thieves were driving an expensive car. This isn't a starving person stealing bread from a Walmart. It's a pair of thieves driving an expensive vehicle stealing random packages from homes. It's one thing to argue that wealth should be redistributed, but to argue that this is an acceptable form of that redistribution seems to miss the mark considerably.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I like how Smurf's argument has been changing from the nanny doing the wrong thing, to thieves being modern-day Robin Hood, to the family being at fault for being wealthy and ultimately to the nanny not being wrong but doing something that isn't recommended, while completely ignoring facts like the car the thieves were driving, the fact that they didn't look like poor people and the fact that she's been arrested 20+ times! There's a time to realze that your argument was wrong from the very beginning, can't believe it's been 13 pages.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this was covered in this thread already but I will never understand why drivers just deliver packages to the front door and shit in the US. Fucking lol.

I hope more companies offer delivery options like Amazon does with their Lockers here. I feel much better about my package being held at a locker where I can go pick it up and it's not just sitting somewhere. I have thankfully only had one thing stolen but that was also the only time it needed to happen for me to try the locker option out lol.

This hasn't happened to me before, but I have heard of some carriers leaving parcels with people two streets over. That's just as insane as leaving the parcel outside for anyone to grab it.

More recently, I've noticed Amazon delivery asks the name of the person before handing over the package. That seems like a sensible step to take.

It definitely seems bizarre to me, but they've always been brought over to us, and we had the same happen a few times and I brought it over to those people. It feels very 'community' and nice, if odd. Guess we're just used to people always trying to get one over on you in the states.

Good on Amazon for asking. Seems like such a basic thing to do, though...

lol the horror!!!

They do the same in Ireland.

Right? They even had the gall to be delicious. It was all very surreal. Almost as weird as the mystery milk that kept being left on my doorstep here. England is weird yo (and Ireland too!). (^_-)

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: drive-by one-liner to a detailed post
This thread truly is amazing.

On the totem pole of criminality petty thievery is near the bottom rung, right above "shoplifting" and "jaywalking" and below "robbery" and "mugging". And yet even with it being so relatively benign, so many people find it trivial to completely write her off as a lost cause.

It drives me bonkers.

This is on top of her obviously being a victim of drug abuse (and let me be clear: all drug abusers are victims) in need of rehabilitation, and yet somehow people are using that as an excuse to write her off further? The hell is that? Reminds me of people saying shit like "just stop thinking bad thoughts!" and other similarly toothless responses to people in the throes of clinical depression or other mental illnesses that you can't simply "will" away. Yes, she committed a crime, but so fucking what? If she got proper treatment she would not have committed the crime in the first place!

Ugh, my head hurts. I can't keep up with this. I just can't.

I guess I'll just leave this here again. Maybe some folks can get something out of it. Gods know I don't have the patience to keep coming in here to read the rampant callousness on display over and over again.

LOL

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

USPS, at least, is incredibly overworked at this time of year (I'm averaging 60-72 hours a week) and scan-and-go is the only way they're ever going to get home in time to catch a few hours of sleep.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017

It's because in the vast majority of cases it's not going to be an issue. People who aren't comfortable with it can arrange for things to be delivered elsewhere or elect to pick the package up from the local post office/ups/fedex/whatever

Mr_Black

Banned for having an alt account
Oct 27, 2017

Yes but you need to add a disclaimer to what you're saying for you to not sound like an idiot.

Your bad ass comments need have this addendum attached:

DISCLAIMER: I would only go out on the attack as long as I knew I could take the thief I'm attacking. If it was someone bigger than me, that looked armed, I wouldn't do jack shit. However if it was like some small drugged up woman like in that video, fuck yes I'll brawl with them!

Cos let's be real here.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I would never put my hands on a thief, that's what a lasso is for. If I knew I my security camera was filming, I'd run out wearing my flip-flops, sweat pants and X-Wing schematics t-shirt and start twirling the lasso over my head to unnerve the thief. Then a quick throw and cinch and that would be it, no messy drama yelling or grabbing.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes but you need to add a disclaimer to what you're saying for you to not sound like an idiot.

DISCLAIMER: I would only go out on the attack as long as I knew I could take the thief I'm attacking. If it was someone bigger than me, that looked armed, I wouldn't do jack shit. However if it was like some small drugged up woman like in that video, fuck yes I'll brawl with them!

Cos let's be real here.

Attack? I'm only talking about a citizens arrest until the cops get there. What's your deal? Also it's a good thing I'm armed too (trained for situations just like this). Levels the playing field so it's not like it matters whether the guy is a body builder or not.

I don't think anyone should tolerate someone stealing their property in broad daylight.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's some stupid shit. So glad that's not a thing here in Sweden. Here you're either home to accept the delivery, or it gets left at the nearest pick-up point (usually a grocery store that doubles as a post office) and you get a note/email/SMS telling you it's there.

Attack? I'm only talking about a citizens arrest until the cops get there. What's your deal? Also it's a good thing I'm armed too (trained for situations just like this). Levels the playing field so it's not like it matters whether the guy is a body builder or not.

I don't think anyone should tolerate someone stealing their property in broad daylight.

Now, I'm firmly on the nanny's (?) side here - screw that thief - but are you saying you would detain a thief at gunpoint? Now that's crazy too. America is such a batshit insane country. Sorry, but it is.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's clear the "thieves" merely liberated their nice car from the filthy 10%-ers in order to continue their Robin Hood-esque wealth-redistribution-via-package-theft escapades. That nanny was being a real Sheriff of Nottingham.

Happy holidays!

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017

Oh so what you meant was.

Disclaimer: When going out to be Johnny Badass make sure you are carrying a gun first if the person is bigger than you, so in case of escalation you may have to kill someone over a parcel. What's a bit of PTSD over getting your XBOX game on time?

Yes a citizens arrest on someone who is bigger than you that could beat your ass. Good idea.

Truly the spirit of Christmas.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59

Good on the nanny. Complete control of the situation. No violence. I'd hire her. Scumbag thief hopefully knows not to do this again now.

I love how they automatically start crying and pleading innocence. Crocodile tears.

Oct 28, 2017
Now, I'm firmly on the nanny's (?) side here - screw that thief - but are you saying you would detain a thief at gunpoint? Now that's crazy too. America is such a batshit insane country. Sorry, but it is.

Why is that crazy? I wish the nanny had a gun in this scenario because watching the footage I was worried she'd get stabbed. Keep distance and remain calm until police arrive. That's primarily the concern here, her safety right? A gun (with the intention to incapacitate if things get violent) is the best option outside of avoiding the situation entirely, which I don't find acceptable. People need to stick up for themselves and their property.

Police here are armed while making arrests for their safety. A citizen should have the same tools while making a citizen's arrest (but please, for the love of god be trained in safety and know how to use it).

Oh so what you meant was.

Disclaimer: When going out to be Johnny Badass make sure you are carrying a gun first if the person is bigger than you, so in case of escalation you may have to kill someone over a parcel. What's a bit of PTSD over getting your XBOX game on time?

Yes a citizens arrest on someone who is bigger than you that could beat your ass. Good idea.

Truly the spirit of Christmas.

In the spirit of the holidays I should let some degenerate get away with the property I worked to pay for? No thanks.

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Why is that crazy? I wish the nanny had a gun in this scenario because watching the footage I was worried she'd get stabbed. Keep distance and remain calm until police arrive. That's primarily the concern here, her safety right? A gun (with the intention to incapacitate if things get violent) is the best option outside of avoiding the situation entirely, which I don't find acceptable. People need to stick up for themselves and their property.

Police here are armed while making arrests for their safety. A citizen should have the same tools while making a citizen's arrest (but please, for the love of god be trained in safety and know how to use it).

In the spirit of the holidays I should let some degenerate get away with the property I worked to pay for? No thanks.

Again, just make sure you add that disclaimer about the methods in which you'd have to tackle said degenerate. Because let's face it, by and large your property is replaceable shit that can be replaced without any real cost, especially if it's amazon.

So you can take the L and get robbed, report it and get your free replacement the next day.

Or you can try and be Judge Dread. Grab a gun, because the guy stealing your shit is physically superior than you are, and then proceed to make a citizens arrest on some crazy fuck that may involve a shootout.

What the fuck are you ordering off of amazon that you can't get replaced, that would ergo require you to possibly either shoot someone down, or get shot down with PTSD potential? The queens jewels? Priceless Ming vase?

All over a package from amazon? What the fuck are you people ordering?

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Man, I thought the Amazon Key thing sounded crazy. Letting delivery people into your house to deliver stuff when youre away but given the extent of the problem maybe not so crazy. Just gotta have faith in the delivery guy more so than a klepto rando, which seems fair.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Again, just make sure you add that disclaimer about the methods in which you'd have to tackle said degenerate. Because let's face it, by and large your property is replaceable shit that can be replaced without any real cost, especially if it's amazon.

So you can take the L and get robbed, report it and get your free replacement the next day.

Or you can try and be Judge Dread. Grab a gun, because the guy stealing your shit is physically superior than you are, and then proceed to make a citizens arrest on some crazy fuck that may involve a shootout.

What the fuck are you ordering off of amazon that you can't get replaced, that would ergo require you to possibly either shoot someone down, or get shot down with PTSD potential? The queens jewels? Priceless Ming vase?

I mean, I'm not taking a gun outside to confront some asshole in a snatch and grab. No one's life is in danger by that shit. And in NY that's go-directly-to-jail territory.

Now if they come in my home and don't leave when I make my presence known...then that's they ass.

But getting tackled and tossed in a hold until cops arrive? I'm ok with that.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

What the fuck does the value of the object matter? Youre arguring some holier than thou nonsense here and comparing the poster above to goddamn Judge Dredd for legally protecting their property in a hypothetical, something well within their rights to do so.

The theif (who is a repeat offender) got caught, and cried she wasnt doing anything wrong and yall vilifying the nanny and posters who are siding with her. Its absolutle madness.

SHAQ

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, Florida
I would never put my hands on a thief, that's what a lasso is for. If I knew I my security camera was filming, I'd run out wearing my flip-flops, sweat pants and X-Wing schematics t-shirt and start twirling the lasso over my head to unnerve the thief. Then a quick throw and cinch and that would be it, no messy drama yelling or grabbing.
Flip flops and a lasso, huh? LOL

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck does the value of the object matter? Youre arguring some holier than thou nonsense here and comparing the poster above to goddamn Judge Dredd for legally protecting their property in a hypothetical, something well within their rights to do so.

The theif (who is a repeat offender) got caught, and cried she wasnt doing anything wrong and yall vilifying the nanny and posters who are siding with her. Its absolutle madness.

Legally protecting their amazon package by accosting a thief with a firearm and trying to detain them until the police arrive.

This is not a universal maxim that you can prescribe to any situation.

Hence my wanting a disclaimer from you baddasses, one that sounds like how it is, "Only tackle someone robbing your items if they're weaker than you are"

The value of the object matters because again, like that guy is saying, why would you risk a shootout conflict with someone? It must be really valuable to go through all that.

Or are you really that incapable of seeing how applying what you're suggesting as a maxim to live by could go drastically wrong?

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I love you man, I really do. Thank you for this.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Legally protecting their amazon package by accosting a thief with a firearm and trying to detain them until the police arrive.

This is not a universal maxim that you can prescribe to any situation.

Hence my wanting a disclaimer from you baddasses, one that sounds like how it is, "Only tackle someone robbing your items if they're weaker than you are"

The value of the object matters because again, like that guy is saying, why would you risk a shootout conflict with someone? It must be really valuable to go through all that.

He's accosting a thief....did you not think before posting that. The thief is already committing an act of aggression by stealing what is not rightfully theirs.

Just because you're too chickenshit to deal with a threat that might be more physically imposing doesn't mean another forum poster isn't up to the task of fighting for what is theirs, and in a way that is legal to do so..but good job admitting that you would pick a fight on a drug addict because it would be easier for you.

I wouldn't do jack shit. However if it was like some small drugged up woman like in that video, fuck yes I'll brawl with them!
Wow...it's actually worse than my paraphrase...you're fucking gloating that you would smash her in because she's an easier target for you.

Good job, champ.

edit: fucked up, didnt read Black's entire post

Last edited:

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
He's accosting a thief....did you not think before posting that. The thief is already committing an act of aggression by stealing what is not rightfully theirs.

Just because you're too chickenshit to deal with a threat that might be more physically imposing doesn't mean another forum poster isn't up to the task of fighting for what is theirs, and in a way that is legal to do so..but good job admitting that you would pick a fight on a drug addict because it would be easier for you.

Wow...it's actually worse than my paraphrase...you're fucking gloating that you would smash her in because she's an easier target for you.

Good job, champ.

Oh yeah no doubt, they'd be out there participating in a car to car cover shootout Vs Omar from the Wire over their $25 portable fan from amazon because they're real men, and not chickenshits. lol

It's not about being a chicken shit, it's about valuing the worth of an object against the potential of getting into a situation I just described. Me not wanting to get into a shootout over some replaceable goods means I'm a chickenshit? And no I didn't admit I would pick a fight with a drug addict because it would be easier for me, I wouldn't go there because these people are desperate fucks that maybe packing heat.

Oh no sorry, you either deliberately misrepresenting my quote, or your reading and comprehension is absolutely trash tier, champ. This isn't breitbart champ, you can't just take out of context quotes and think that adds to your argument, right? You get that, don't you? Champ?

Last edited:

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mr_Black

Holy shit. So who is the aggressor here? Is the nanny the aggressor because she enacted her powers of arrest? Is the other poster the aggressor because in his hypothetical he's meeting the thief with a firearm, would be legally allow to provide a deterrent for the criminal to stop? It's like you want to completely remove the act of thief from the entire equation here just to make your argument.

You aren't willing to get into a situation because you do not believe it's worth it. Other people do not feel the same as you, other people believe that the things that they can afford was earned through hard work and labour. The item could have personal value that you do not comprehend. Sometimes things are not easily replaceable by virtue of what they are, sometimes people cannot afford to replace items, and regardless the owner's financial status, they are entitled to protect what is rightfully theirs by the means in which the law dictates so.

Just because you're too meek to make the attempt to protect your belongings from something or someone that looks physically opposing doesn't mean other people are not allowed to legally utilize their powers of arrest.

I would only go out on the attack as long as I knew I could take the thief I'm attacking. If it was someone bigger than me, that looked armed, I wouldn't do jack shit. However if it was like some small drugged up woman like in that video, fuck yes I'll brawl with them!

Cos let's be real here.

The above states that you admit you would fight a drugged up woman like in that video because they're

1) Not bigger than you
2) Don't look armed, however
3) If she were a combination of 1 and 2, you wouldn't do "jack shit."

Let's be real here, if you were the nanny you would have not done anything because you wouldn't known whether she was arm or high in that moment. That being said, why would you even post that you would brawl when, according to your own logic, you know you wouldn't have engaged in the first place?

Edit: I fucked up. Misread post

Last edited:

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, don't try to sling around stuff and call other people out on badass machismo when you openly admit you'd bash in a small drugged up lady only after having watch the video when all the details are present.

edit: continued fuck up, misread post

Last edited:

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Mr_Black

The above states that you admit you would fight a drugged up woman like in that video because they're

1) Not bigger than you
2) Don't look armed, however
3) If she were a combination of 1 and 2, you wouldn't do "jack shit."

Let's be real here, if you were the nanny you would have not done anything because you wouldn't known whether she was arm or high in that moment. That being said, why would you even post that you would brawl when, according to your own logic, you know you wouldn't have engaged in the first place?

Again, your reading and comprehension skills, are an absolute and total travesty.

Cos that's what you're doubling down on now, right? You're sincerely thinking that's what I'm saying. Okay cool.

So here's the actual quote you're talking about with added context.

Cos let's be real here.

Do you see the bold in my reply to that guy? I'm asserting that this guys statements need to have that addendum added. Because let's be real, no one is going to go into a cover shooter situation with Omar from the wire over a 25$ fan. In previous posts I have been saying this exact same thing that it's a bad idea to accost any thief taking your shit due to risk.

Reading & Comprehension. And we wonder how people get so easily brainwashed online.

This ain't breitbart son. You can't just snip out crucial context, then jam your bullshit in the space you snipped out. Doesn't work like that in rational society mate. sorry. try again I guess champ?

Just to make it even clearer for you, I am lampooning that poster. Yes? I am doing an impression, of the poster. Yes? So when I'm using the first person after saying to the poster "This is an addendum you should add to your post" I'm using the first person, as that poster. Yes, an impression?

You understand what an impression is right?

Like are you being intentionally dense on purpose? Or is this just how you were raised? I don't get it.

So another example JUST INCASE:

Maybe you should add this to your post:

DISCLAIMER : I'm a turd that has an extremely loose grasp of reading and comprehension and either insincerely misrepresent other peoples posts, or am literally that bad at reading and comprehension.

You get that I'm not referring to MYSELF in that disclaimer. right guy? I'm referring to, you. I'm not calling myself a turd... or someone who has a loose grasp of reading and comprehension, Right? Please tell me you understand man, cos that's an absolute travesty.

So reading back
I mean, don't try to sling around stuff and call other people out on badass machismo when you openly admit you'd bash in a small drugged up lady only after having watch the video when all the details are present.

You understand how, stupid that sounds right? Or do you still think what I was saying, was my own opinion? Despite me having said multiple times that accosting a thief is absolutely not a maxim to live by?

Breitbart level shit.

Last edited:

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I made a mistake, I'll own up to it, I misread, however the trash you got up there says a lot about you. Now we're bringing breitbart and brainwashing just so you can throw some petty insults, eh?

You truly are the real badass in here.

Also good job ignoring the rest of my post so you can go own your little rampage. /claps.

Last edited:

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Despite me having said multiple times that accosting a thief is absolutely not a maxim to live by?

Again, you still skirt around the fact that the aggressor here is the goddamn thief. How is that poster the one accosting when they are using their rights in this situation? Please explain that to me without coming off like a condescending twat as you were above for what was an honest mistake

Mr_Black

Oct 27, 2017
Again, you still skirt around the fact that the aggressor here is the goddamn thief. How is that poster the one accosting when they are using their rights in this situation? Please explain that to me without coming off like a condescending twat as you were above for what was an honest mistake

No I'm throwing up bretbart because they are known to do the same thing, slash out context in order to suit their own bullshit. It's hard to see it as an honest mistake when you double down on it after being told?

Because I don't count someone ganking my amazon deliveries as an aggressive act towards me personally. I'm not under any kind of personal attack that would require me to defend myself, personally. It's some street urchin, ganking amazon packages. It's not something I'm going to get personally upset about to the point I'm going to grab a gun and proceed to tackle and apprehend someone which could lead to a scenario that I don't want to be in. Most likely because I know amazon will replace it without giving two shits. I'm not going to try and ensnare a person as I have no idea what they are capable of doing. If you're desperate enough in life to gank amazon packages, I don't know what that thief is on, I don't know if that thief is packing an uzi. But like the mantra of max payne says "do not underestimate someone with nothing to lose"

So when I weigh up the possible risks of taking on Omar from the wire, over my 25$ amazon package, my rationality says, "I'm not under direct attack, Omar is just ganking amazon packages, I will call the police and inform them, but I'm not going to throw down, because the risk of me getting shot in the face or beaten up, isn't worth it for my amazon package.

The poster is the one accosting because they are trying to prevent the thief from escaping...? The very definition of accosting is "approach and address (someone) boldly or aggressively." It's hard not to sound condescending because, I'm having to tell you the meaning of words?

I'm not accosting Omar "Hey you, you stole my package, give it back!!!!!"

ef28f4c29c53674d166fee1164c2d0eb.jpg

Over my amazon packages. Sorry but fuck that. He can fucking keep it. But in your eyes that makes me a chicken shit, right?

That's right actually after all, didn't Jesus once say,

"When a thief lay an injustice upon you, thou must entreat onto them; shotgun diplomacy" - Jesus, The King James Bible, Some Place In the Back

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Some of you need to stop with the exaggeration, holy fuck.

It is as if "holding someone for a while while waiting for the cops to arrive" equals "beating her to death or shoot her with a gun" or that "happy seeing a thief got caught" equals "fascists, barbaric, 'valuing things over humans', etc etc"

I mean wtf?

Magni

This thread has turned into something else...

No property is worth killing over (especially no replaceable property like a package from Amazon). Bringing a gun to this kind of situation only escalates it and increases the risk of someone being shot (reminder: that someone could be you). If I'm in a gun-less society and were to witness a robbery and were in a position to stop it (say: trip a guy running off with an old woman's purse and chased by police), then sure I would stick my leg out. I'll help out. But I won't pretend to be the police: I'm not going to draw a gun and run after someone who I have on video stealing an Amazon package. That would be just irresponsible in my book. There's a reason we have a professional police force in modern society who is trained to deal with this kind of situation (and even they fuck it up a bunch). We don't need wannabe heros shooting the street up every time they see (or think they see: i.e. what happened to Trayvon Martin) a crime.

I get that citizen's arrests and carrying firearms are legal in the US (or in parts of the US), but there's a difference between it being legal and it being wise. Say you have your petty thief held at gun point. He starts to run away, what do you do, shoot him?

The nanny in this particular case did not bring out a gun or use unnecessary violence, and assumed the thief was unarmed as well - a dangerous assumption in the US. It all turned out ok in the end, but the local police department explicitly said they didn't condone this kind of behavior. I'll trust them over random Internet warriors.

irbri

Nov 2, 2017
Some of you need to stop with the exaggeration, holy fuck.

It is as if "holding someone for a while while waiting for the cops to arrive" equals "beating her to death or shoot her with a gun" or that "happy seeing a thief got caught" equals "fascists, barbaric, 'valuing things over humans', etc etc"

I mean wtf?
I honestly wonder what people's socialization skills are like.

Personally, I'm very non-confrontational and give people the benefit of the doubt over nearly anything. I'll bow out and apologize to avoid a fight even if it was their fault, because it costs me nothing.

I'm not going to let anyone take my shit though. If someone wants to accost me, my person extends to my personal property, I'm going to protect myself. It's a defensive act, even if I'm chasing someone to retrieve my belongings.
Now, I've never had to actually chase anyone, but i did punch a mugger with $30 in dollar coins and ran the hell away.

I think there's a point where you shouldn't go after them anymore, which is beyond where that nanny tackled the thief. If you're still within reach of your property, it's still a defensive act.
And no, I'd never punch someone who was just trying to run away with my shit.. unless they punched me first, and even then, it's probably easier just to hold the person down or trip them.

There's a reason why there's laws to grant people rights when using necessary force to protect themselves and their property.
... that doesn't sound right. Grant people rights? "Protects people's rights"? Something like that, because self defense is inalienable.