• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47947117
Nusrat Jahan Rafi was doused with kerosene and set on fire at her school in Bangladesh. Less than two weeks earlier, she had filed a sexual harassment complaint against her headmaster.

According to a statement given by Nusrat, a fellow female student took her to the roof of the school, saying one of her friends was being beaten up. When Nusrat reached the rooftop four or five people, wearing burqas, surrounded her and allegedly pressured her to withdraw the case against the headmaster. When she refused, they set her on fire.
Full story at the link, but I hope this story gets the attention it deserves and situations like this never have to occur again. I'm glad to see there is plenty of outrage there and promises to bring justice to those involved. I do hope it's taken seriously and change can happen.

nayriee

Banned
Jan 26, 2019
Nothing makes my heart sink than hearing stories like this :( how cruel could they be

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
She is a freaking badass, sticking to her guns until her last breath. Rest in peace.
I hope she inspires all the other silent victims to drag their abuser to light, for justice and closure. Realistically though, this just emphasize how dangerous it is for victims who speak out *sigh* fuck this world seriously

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone explain to me how this happens? I just don't understand the motivations of the community.

Just shocked by how vicious this was caused by people largely unaffected by what she had accused her headmaster of.

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain to me how this happens? I just don't understand the motivations of the community.

Just shocked by how vicious this was caused by people largely unaffected by what she had accused her headmaster of.

ps3ud0 8)

It's what happens when people really, REALLY don't care about victims of sexual assault combined with a social conservatism that views sex as being something dirty or shameful.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
All these people should be burned alive also, see how they like it.

Anyway looks like they already arrested a bunch of people, she was also able to identify some people before she died.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
A person can receive the death penalty if they are found guilty of crimes against women and children. The Women and Children Repression Prevention Act 2000 provides that the death penalty can be imposed for murder or attempted murder involving burning, poison, or acid.
Hope they get everyone involved, they're gonna hang.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking monsters..

Brave brave kid. She had some real strength of heart and the world is worse off now that shes gone.

Rest in peace.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yet another headline reaffirming my err on visiting these regions.

Disgusting feral animals that are tolerated far too much. No redemption or worth in society when you're capable of things like this.

Clap3rap

Apr 14, 2019
Humanity really has a long way to go, before we can call ourselfses truely civilized.
I actually feel sick thinking about it, how is it possible to be this cruel?

In situations like this it is very easy to feel hate towards the purpetrators, they should also suffer a horrific death, but you can´t fight cruelty with cruelty.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
UnluckySkinnyGrackle-size_restricted.gif
Do you really think this is the place for a gif?

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Read about it a few days ago. Far too many women across the world are in this insane spot where not only are they the target of rape and sexual assault but if they come forward against their perpetrator they are LITERALLY BURNED ALIVE.

The world needs more feminism.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Read about it a few days ago. Far too many women across the world are in this insane spot where not only are they the target of rape and sexual assault but if they come forward against their perpetrator they are LITERALLY BURNED ALIVE.

The world needs more feminism.

And its crazy that other women helped burn her alive. Religion sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
Read this earlier. Left me truly in shock. Heart-breaking and despicable simultaneously. Fuck the cops, fuck the madrassas. Literally fuck the assholes that did this and their supporters.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Well. Let's hope those sub-human pieces of rotten garbage never see sunlight again. Or suffer a horrible death at the hands of an angry mob.

It'll never happen, but a man can dream.

I don't really know how to respond to something as absurd as this.

Dec 23, 2017
It's what happens when people really, REALLY don't care about victims of sexual assault combined with a social conservatism that views sex as being something dirty or shameful.
Well why didn't they burn the headmaster? He was the one trying to take advantage. This sounds bad but just one time I would like to see roles reverse and see how that changes things.

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
Disgusting. To know that there was a fellow female student involved makes this all the more infuriating.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

ps3ud0 8)

Sadly, in the vast majority of Islamic countries - this type of retaliation to anyone stepping outside traditional gender roles is taking a real risk. This is a headline because someone being burned alive is sensational, but brutal violence against anyone with a progressive mindset is an accepted part of a majority of Islamic culture.

Which - being from Minnesota - is what pisses me off when people are often racist toward the African Muslims seeking refuge in Minneapolis to escape such extremism. It's like they can't win.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly, in the vast majority of Islamic countries - this type of retaliation to anyone stepping outside traditional gender roles is taking a real risk. This is a headline because someone being burned alive is sensational, but brutal violence against anyone with a progressive mindset is an accepted part of a majority of Islamic culture.

Which - being from Minnesota - is what pisses me off when people are often racist toward the African Muslims seeking refuge in Minneapolis to escape such extremism. It's like they can't win.
Amazing. How much garbage can spew forth from a single post is incredible. How do you explain the burning and setting women on fire in neighboring India, which happens way more often? Is India "Islamic Culture" too? The country you are talking about has currently a woman elected as Prime Minister, by the way. Did she get burned alive for daring to run? Making sweeping generalizations about "Islamic Culture" is the talk of new atheism and racists. This is a case of an authoritative figure using his goons to coverup his deeds and escape justice and he very well could have - if the victim did not survive. Of course there is discussion to be had of gender norms and prevalent sexual crimes in the subcontinent, and making vast generalizations is not the right start.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just don't get the mindset when you are more angry at the VICTIM of the assault then the actual perpetrator.... It happened against her will for pete sakes.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Especially from an aggressive blame-the-victim mentality. if a woman accuses a man of improper behavior it means that she seduced him and needs to be punished for it.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Amazing. How much garbage can spew forth from a single post is incredible. How do you explain the burning and setting women on fire in neighboring India, which happens way more often? Is India "Islamic Culture" too? The country you are talking about has currently a woman elected as Prime Minister, by the way. Did she get burned alive for daring to run? Making sweeping generalizations about "Islamic Culture" is the talk of new atheism and racists. This is a case of an authoritative figure using his goons to coverup his deeds and escape justice and he very well could have - if the victim did not survive. Of course there is discussion to be had of gender norms and prevalent sexual crimes in the subcontinent, and making vast generalizations is not the right start.

The "but it's worse elsewhere" argument always makes me cringe. Women who have it worse in India is also tragic, but a bit off topic.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There is certainly a religious component of the violence against women in Bangladesh but it is more accurate to say that while improving, Bangladesh has a Bangladeshi problem with regards to the treatment and safety of women -- with reliable estimates stating that as many as one in eight rural men has committed rape and that domestic violence, dowry crime, "eve-teasing" (harassment and abuse of teen and pre-teen girls and ironically a biblical reference) abuse and worse commonplace and sadly in some cases widely accepted as normal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Bangladesh

As with everywhere in the world those problems are exacerbated by poverty and remoteness and lack of proper education for men and women.

Like every complex issue -- all factors should be examined in trying to address problems - education, poverty, infrastructure and religious groups have a tremendous responsibility and power to effect change-- and Bangladesh has made tremendous improvements in empowering women but has a long way to go.

The WORLD has a long way to go.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Very sad. Especially when you consider Bangaldesh is actually one of the countries in SE asia with greatest gender parity and legal protections. Shows how bad it is in so many places.