• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I bet there's been many people like him but at most it will be revenge fantasies against those they think are against them and it won't go much further. Knives and machetes are very personal and gruesome weapons to use but a gun is clean, precise and fast, plus far more mesmerising with the sound and visuals of the whole exercise.

What I'm saying is, revenge fantasies from the outcasts of society suddenly become far more achievable when you have such easy and legal means to obtaining lethal weaponry like automatic rifles. INA country where those aren't available these people probably wouldn't even consider it. But when those weapons are so easy to come by a fantasy becomes a very real achievable possibility that could tip them over the edge.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
....guns have changed. Guns are different than they used to be.
No, not really. M1 carbines with 30round magazines(this is one of what charles whitman used also what Malcolm X famously posed with), ar15's which have been on the civilian market since the early 70's, larger capacity magazine fed pistols like the browning hi-power (which goes back to the 30's) or CZ75, you could also get standard colt 1911's with high cap magazines ect. were around for a very long time, far longer than when this whole school shooting stuff began. The aesthetics changed, but the tool is largely the same.

There's a reason why the military uses a weapon like this and not a standard hunting rifle. It's a weapon designed to do one thing, and one thing only, kill as many people as quickly as possible.
Every bullet is dangerous and most cartridges are designed in hopefully to getting military contracts. The .223 cartridge (later turned into the 5.56) was first introduced as a sporting/hunting round. The military didnt adopt it until a year later. Even before that you had similar rounds like the .222 which went back even further. The Military specifically wanted a lighter cartridge not because it was more deadly, but because of the weight. You could carry a lot more rounds of .223 than you could 7.62 which meant more rounds down range. They also determined that they didnt need a bigger bullet to reach out to 300 yards which was what the average engagement distance is (now that were fighting in more open desert areas, this is becoming more of a problem). Theres also a theory that the military went with it because it wasnt designed for maximum death, but to wound the enemy and keep medics and support units preoccupied. Dont know how accurate that is though. Theres a lot of combat stories of enemies taking several 5.56 rounds before going down. The military has also been in talks of stepping up the round back to the 7.62 or something different specifically because of the 5.56's limited stopping power and range.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
No sarcasm, is treatment legitimately a possibility? Or will he just get life in jail?
Always is. America just isn't equipped to deal with it, though, so he'll get a long prison sentence and most likely become even angrier. In a more rehabilitated oriented country you'd probably see him fair off better.

Real Hero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So weird, it's almost always these lone white young males. What the hell is going on where there seems to be an epidemic of these this generation. I know gun culture/laws are a big part, but there seems to be some overall culture or social psychology going awry as well. These young males all seem like maladjusted losers that perceive their privileges or paths to success in life diminishing. Perhaps when you think you're a loser with no future the alternative to kill and become infamous seems a tempting option. Especially with media coverage being as hot as it is around these events. We can fix gun laws, but I'm not sure how you fix this mentality.
Same thing with young westernised Muslim terrorists.

PorkandBeans

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Apparently keeping your diary out where your grandma can read it wasn't one of the mistakes previous mass murders made.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
We'll never know but she may have just saved a lot of kids lives. This is what you do with knowledge of a possible future shooting. I'm so sick of hearing "He had said something to me the other day but I thought he wouldn't really do it."

Acerac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always is. America just isn't equipped to deal with it, though, so he'll get a long prison sentence and most likely become even angrier. In a more rehabilitated oriented country you'd probably see him fair off better.
In all fairness a country that legitimately respects mental health likely would have noticed warning signs far earlier.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
No sarcasm, is treatment legitimately a possibility? Or will he just get life in jail?

I don't know about the Florida prison system, but in the UK he would probably be a primary target for rehabilitation. Why waste money giving somebody endless bed and board when you can fix their noggins and get them back on track?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently keeping your diary out where your grandma can read it wasn't one of the mistakes previous mass murders made.

4TeFTBV.gif

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole mass shooting thing is a real issue that virtually did not exist 30 years ago. America went 250 years without this problem, and now it happens so often we are numb to it. Something changed in the last 30 years that did not exist in the 250 years prior.

We can all make our guesses but my guess is our parenting changed. Parent are very hands off towards their kids today. A distinct lack of parental discipline for bad behavior. Kids largely get away with anything they want because their parents, sometimes legally, cannot do anything about it. Many parents simply do not care. Can't spank your kids anymore.

Parents were also more apt to send bad kids off to camp/counseling/military school, etc to teach them discipline. That is also all on the decline. Kids are too precious for that stuff.

Schools also cannot discipline kids anymore.

I think if our parenting style went back to what it was prior to say 1970, this issue would no longer happen. Unfortunately even if it started today it would take a generation to get to the point of disciplined kids growing up, much like it took a generation for the shootings to start.

What utter horse shit.

We probably have more lax parenting and less discipline in general here in Sweden than in America (not saying parents don't properly raise their children, but we certainly don't have a culture of punishment-based discipline like you seem to be championing), and we don't have mass shootings. Ever.

It's the guns. Just accept it. The guns. They need to go.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this little shit thought this was a game and wanted a huge score.

She's more competent than the FBI at this point
how the hell is the fbi supposed to stop this? if this kid never posted anything anywhere then there is almost nothing they can do. not like they get to track gun sales either thanks to the nra. you pretty much need parents to be watching out for potential signs of their kid acting out in a violent way.

Turtleboats

Nov 13, 2017
Everett, Washington

Hey... thats where I live....

Not cool man. Grats on grandma.

There was actually a school shooting in Marysville a couple years back thats like 20mins from Everett. Insane that this could have happened again.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Thank heavens for her being smart enough to turn him in.

We don't need another school shooting to happen.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I know it may be mental illness and all that, but it bewilders me that there are people who desire to have a "high score" for killing people.
the mass/school killings of today are the serial killers of the 70/80s. It's the big crime to commit when you want to make the biggest impact possible.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
this little shit thought this was a game and wanted a huge score.

how the hell is the fbi supposed to stop this? if this kid never posted anything anywhere then there is almost nothing they can do. not like they get to track gun sales either thanks to the nra. you pretty much need parents to be watching out for potential signs of their kid acting out in a violent way.
I am not supporting trashing the FBI, but it was revealed about 5 hours ago that they had been tipped off about Nicholas Cruz before the killing, and did not follow through appropriately. Surprised no one started a thread, honestly.

EDIT: and he did have some scary social media posts.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weaker guns wouldn't stop somebody from going on a rampage.

I also think this is an issue of the value of life. As the perceived value of life decreases, the thoughts of doing harm to others would be more palpable. We've seen what happens in nations where the value of life is zero. Atheism plays a role in this.

I see you were banned, but maybe you're still lurking, so:

Fucking lol! Really funny stuff there. My country, Sweden, is one of the least religious/most atheistic in the world. What is it that "happens" here, exactly? Are you really saying we don't value life here? Then why are we killing each other so much less frequently than in the ridiculously religious America?

You just don't have a clue, man. And I take offense at your insinuation that atheists cannot be moral and value life. From my experience we're among the most moral people there are. Certain religious groups? Not so much.

Last edited:

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
How are you gonna plan that shit at grandma's house? I turn into a mormon choir boy if im within 300 feet of my grandma.

Jokes aside, shes a hero.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The grandma should have waited for her grandson to go to the school and shot him with a gun to stop him instead.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
No. It's the guns. Stop trying to pretend it isn't the stupidly high availability of guns. No other country has this problem.

It's both. Guns are too easy to get and parents are not being parents.

Because these massacres only happen in the United States, we know guns are the problem. Because we have amazingly dumb parents in every country, I say you haven't made your case on that. Bad parenting doesn't make mass murderers in my country, for instance.

Either way, introduce reasonable gun controls and the problem will go away. Why is America so uniquely unwilling to take such a small step to save so many lives?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I see you were banned, but maybe you're still lurking, so:

Fucking lol! Really funny stuff there. My country, Sweden, is one of the least religious/most atheistic in the world. What is it that "happens" here, exactly? Are you really saying we don't value life here? Then why are we killing each other so much less frequently than in the ridiculously religious America?

You just don't have a clue, man.

I should move my family to Sweden. On second thought too damn cold.

Acerac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the Florida prison system, but in the UK he would probably be a primary target for rehabilitation. Why waste money giving somebody endless bed and board when you can fix their noggins and get them back on track?
I'd imagine it is because that doesn't have a satisfactory amount of revenge linked to it.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hard proof that access to guns directly contributes to America's gun problems

He just couldn't make these plans or have these dreams if he couldn't access quick firing assault rifles with ease

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Ugh, this grandma has not a single respect for privacy, she should get arrested too! /s

more seriously, i'm glad she managed to stumble upon it before another tragedy happened, but i'm also sad for her to discover that about her grandson, that must be awful!

As much as it's an unpopular opinion, i hope he will get help too, but since it's america, he will probably get locked up for the rest of his life (i'm not saying that he souldn't go to jail, but he should definitely get treated too, especially since he didn't have time to do the crime so we'll never know if he would have really done it, a lot think of what they'll do only to give up at the very end)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's permissive parents! It's atheism! I have to admit these are pretty creative, lol.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Guy sounds like a psychopath judging from his journal. Sounds like he just wanted to get famous and didn't mind killing a lot of kids to do so.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
The grandma should have waited for her grandson to go to the school and shot him with a gun to stop him instead.

I hope this is sarcasm but on the off chance it's not or someone is reading this thinking "Yeah, I agree" in all seriousness.

This is a horrible idea. Besides the idea of killing a family member being something that many would just not be able to do, this could easily lead to someone getting shot at the school.

Again, hope it's sarcasm and even if it is, I hope this post tells anyone lurking who seriously agrees why it's a bad/horrible idea.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think parents should be doing to their kids that's not legal right now exactly? And why do you think parents are more hands off when we have constant complaints about the rise of helicopter parents?

Stay with me here - How many people have (pre 1970) walked into a school and started shooting (shooting any type of weapon, not just a gun) with the aim to kill as many people as possible? huh ? huh? gotcha bitches

Well, 'Rage' is a 1977 novel by Stephen King that describes an angry white proto-school shooter. Then first 'modern' school shooting happened in 1988, it wasn't Columbine at all (1999). The 1988 shooter was a fan of Kings novel. Other shooters in 1989 and 1993 also had copies of the novel. King felt so guilty he let the story fall out of print.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_(King_novel)

"King went on to describe his inspiration for stories such as Rage, which drew heavily upon his own frustrations and pains as a high school student."

So in 1977, King was already picking up in white boy angst from his teenage years, which would be the 60s. In other words, school shooting psychosis has been slowly bubbling under the surface of pop culture since at least 1960-something.

That's what, almost 70 years old the frog slowly boiling alive. Columbine wasn't even it's final form.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Why are kids so driven to this kind of violence? And I don't mean the shooting/bombing part specifically. I mean the hatred for peers/family/ect.

Are they being shun/bullied and then turn to violence of this caliber?

I sincerely hope that he gets help. That all this...just stops. I can't bear hearing about all this hate in America and the deaths of children.

It's like every other day, you hear something new and you hope that no one died. But then they do. And you realize that these kids were robbed of their future and you know that if we took this seriously, maybe we could stop it. But those in power twiddle their thumbs.

It's frustrating enough to make you cry. I can't.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I hope this is sarcasm but on the off chance it's not or someone is reading this thinking "Yeah, I agree" in all seriousness.

This is a horrible idea. Besides the idea of killing a family member being something that many would just not be able to do, this could easily lead to someone getting shot at the school.

Again, hope it's sarcasm and even if it is, I hope this post tells anyone lurking who seriously agrees why it's a bad/horrible idea.
Isn't it insane that you have to ask if I was being sarcastic?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm learning from past shooters/bombers mistakes, so I don't make the same ones.

Thankfully he made a very obvious oversight. Writing down your motives like some kind of cartoon villain isn't the best idea.

It must've been very hard for his grandmother to hand him over like that. I feel sick just thinking about it. But she saved so many lives by doing it.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its about becoming famous. We can't solve the gun problem because of government corruption, but we sure as hell could try and stop the copycat crimes by giving the shooters less fame.