• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's nothing wrong with it at all as long as you act very nice and civil. Some women think of it as almost a form of harassment, but look, if you go up to a girl who's in the middle of her workout at the gym, for example, and tap her on the shoulder and say "excuse me, I just want to say you are incredibly beautiful and have a gorgeous smile" as they are removing their headphones and caching their breath, what you're doing is proving your point that you are in fact an under-appreciated nice shy guy, just like late 90's Jason Biggs, not a creep who doesn't understand what boundaries are. If she can't handle that, she doesn't deserve you.
Jesus christ...

No one is interested in your opinion of their physical appearance.

sayuuna

Sep 6, 2018
臺灣 「 臺北市 」
Sounds shaky to me, and I'm not really making any social statement of that sort. For me, personally, I only am romantically interested in guys I find attractive. And if a guy is going to come on to me based on how attractive he thinks I am, you can be sure I'll be sizing up his attractiveness too. I'm talking about the guys who are like "hell yeah!" answering the question about if they'd like random women to ask them out—I assume they're imagining a bunch of big breasted beauties, when reality is actually very different and I'm trying to get people to understand from a female perspective. That said, looks are subjective, and I've turned down guys I thought were handsome because they were too direct and I just felt like I'm probably the fifth girl they've tried this with today and I don't like feeling utterly replaceable. Doesn't make me want to date. At least if I know someone as a friend first, I can be sure they're making moves because they like me personally and not because they saw me sitting there and decided they wanted to try to bone the female creature.

lmao thank u A+ <3

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
men doing this activates my fight or flight response like nothing else in the world. just don't.
Reverse it for a moment, would you want to be approached many times a day by thirsty individuals?
this comparison doesn't ever work because most women can't overpower most men. if a man isn't interested in a woman, 9,999 times out of 10,000 he can safely get out of the situation. the same can't be said for women.

the fact that men usually respond to this sort of thought exercise with "UMMM YES OF COURSE I WANT ALL THE FEMALES TO HIT ON ME" shows how little idea they have of what it's like to be a woman.
Women of Era, how do you feel about... being?
pretty bad, ngl

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous to hear people say don't do it. Where are we going as a society if we avoid interactions with people we naturally are drawn to wanting to? Only on here. Good god.

Everyone I know met their SO in real life doing "cold approach" (I.e. You approach a person you don't know in the street , super market etc with the intention to see if there is something there). Christ people, there is a difference between harassment and going upto a random girl and saying hi.

I'm so glad you think it's ridiculous to not want to get hit on in the fucking grocery store.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
Jesus christ...

No one is interested in your opinion of their physical appearance.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying there's anything at all that sounds cringey about what I wrote in the post you quoted? Look man, we can agree to disagree, but rest assured, if someone approaches a female like that it's probably less because they're being cringy or whatever as much as being a genuinely nice guy and romantic soul, y'know?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying there's anything at all that sounds cringy about what I wrote in the post you quoted? Look man, we can agree to disagree, but rest assured, if someone approaches a female like that it's probably less because they're being cringy or whatever as much as being a genuinely nice guy and romantic soul, y'know?
You're missing the /s from your post

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This thread got off the rails pretty quick. Simply speaking to someone you find attractive is not even close to cat calling, or predatory. A normal person will read the situation and if the response is a polite "fuck off" they will do so. Implying they're in the wrong for making the attempt is insane.

Ain't that many normal people in the world brother

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't read the whole thread, but from what I have read here some people can't tell the difference between talking to someone and hitting on someone.

There is nothing wrong with talking to strangers in public. Avoiding being friendly and interacting with people is the weird thing. Being a human being and living in a shared community means interaction with others. Obviously if someone gives signals they don't want to be approached (head down, earphones in, etc) then don't bother, but standing in line at the store, sitting on a train, those kinds of things... there is absolutely nothing wrong with being friendly. If you are only willing to talk to attractive girls and only doing it to hit on them then yea it's lame at best, I agree.

Everyone head down staring at their phone or whatever is their own prerogative, but doesn't make for a very welcoming community.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read the whole thread, but from what I have read here some people can't tell the difference between talking to someone and hitting on someone.

There is nothing wrong with talking to strangers in public. Avoiding being friendly and interacting with people is the weird thing. Being a human being and living in a shared community means interaction with others. Obviously if someone gives signals they don't want to be approached (head down, earphones in, etc) then don't bother, but standing in line at the store, sitting on a train, those kinds of things... there is absolutely nothing wrong with being friendly. If you are only willing to talk to attractive girls and only doing it to hit on them then yea it's lame at best, I agree.

Everyone head down staring at their phone or whatever is their own prerogative, but doesn't make for a very welcoming community.

Women can tell the difference

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
Women of Era, how do you feel about... being?
Hate it tbh. It sucks knowing that no matter what I do or how hard I work I will still be seen by many men as inferior.It sucks not being able to go about my daily life without some creep propositioning me for sex, because when a dude hits on you that is all he is really interested in. If I could take a magic pill and turn into a man I would do it without a second thought.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Yes, men can indeed not tell the difference, and contribute to harassing women over it. Glad you understand :)

Where are we going as a society if we avoid interactions with people we naturally are drawn to wanting to?

Oh no, you can't sexually harass random women. This is so horrible for you. It is all about dude feelings after all, not those ~feeeeeeeeeeemales~ and their crazy, ridiculous wish to not be harassed multiple times a day by thirsty dudes.

It's hilarious how in a thread where the OP asked for women's opinion, it seems all the men decide to answer with their experiences. By hilarious I mean disgusting.

Yep. Men telling women how to feel round #12435. It's just... both typical and sad. The lack of basic human empathy among these dudes is kinda telling, and why 77% of women were sexually harassed. But the men doing that just can't admit they're doing it. The women must be wrong, never the dudes.

But then we have this gem of a dude in here:
The funny irony is the guy usually is the one who is more terrified than the other way around.

Men: "Waaah, what if the woman rejects me? Poor, poor me. Why am I not coddled 100% of the time?"
Woman: "What if he kills me if I say no, and rapes me if I say yes?"

Clearly, the guy is "usually more terrified". My butt.

chokeartist

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It helps if the man is tall, confident, and good looking; then it's far from creepy. Females should acknowledge with a smile first before the approach so it isn't so cold.

Oct 26, 2017
It helps if the man is tall, confident, and good looking; then it's far from creepy. Females should acknowledge with a smile first before the approach so it isn't so cold.
Wtf is this?!?!

Jesus, guys, be better. Actually listen to what the women in this thread are saying, the concerns they are voicing. This shit isn't about you, so stop making it that way.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

Please admit that you attempted to make a parody version of the worst manThought on the subject. This has to be parody.

which mod do i have to bribe to make the use of "females" a bannable offense

Can we at LEAST replace their avatar with a ferengi for a week?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a guy and the couple of times I've been approached out of the blue were weird. I could see if I were a woman I would get extremely annoyed/uncomfortable with it.

It's flattering, but like someone else said just smile and make eye contact or something.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018

We have people in this thread say worse. Among other things, we had
  • a dude saying that making women uncomfortable isn't a bad thing
  • that social media is making women dumb, because in the past women totally weren't worried
  • men calling women feeeeeeeeemaaaaaales
  • a dude saying that women not wanting to be harassed are to blame for incels
  • men falling over themselves saying that if they can't harass women, how can they ever get dates?
  • men claiming over and over that men are totally the terrified ones
Hence, it might be parody, or it might not. Next to UltraMagnus, it could just be a regular post, unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this opinion has been voiced somewhere else in these 19 pages but, as a male, I'm sure I would grow tired of the amount of cold requests women typically get. But some amount would definitely be flattering.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
A normal person will read the situation and if the response is a polite "fuck off" they will do so.

Ignoring the idea of politely telling someone to fuck off, this simply isn't true. The most common responses are persistence "Give me a chance, I'm one of the good guys" or aggression "What, you think you're too good for me? Fuckin' bitch..."

Single-women-telling-men-who-approach-them-that-they-have-a-boyfriend is not a thing because women are pathological liars, it's a thing because women have learnt that men react poorly to rejection. Even the "normal" ones. Hell, they're probably a bigger problem because as least the arsehole probably knows he's being an arsehole, the creep rarely knows he's being a creep.

If the only thing you know about a stranger that approaches you is "they find me attractive" and "they won't take no for an answer", that's not really a desirable combination.

Christ people, there is a difference between harassment and going upto a random girl and saying hi.

No one goes up to someone just to say hi. "Hi" is something people say in passing. If the person approaching you is a complete stranger you can be 100% sure that they are doing so because they want something.

If that something is the time, or directions, or asking if I could get something that they can't reach (my most common interaction with strangers in supermarkets) then fine. I love helping people and this doesn't require much effort on my part.

Completely different if they are asking for my phone number or if I want to go and have a coffee with them some time. Why I want to give my number to a complete stranger?

Last edited:

Deleted member 19868

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who said they didn't like to be cold approached: Of course there's a difference in context between someone just saying hi and someone approaching because they're thirsty. You can tell the difference. Anyone who says otherwise is setting up a strawman.

Like, the dude next to me in line who is chatting about the weather? That's fine. Somebody smiles and waves on the street? Of course I'm going to wave back. And as I've said before, if I put myself in a situation where I expect to be hit on, of course that's not going to bother me unless the dude gets creepy or handsy.

And because I think some people don't get it: yes, if I got to know someone for a while in a non-romantic context, and we start feeling it, that's fine too. Of course people sometimes spark when you're seeing them all the time in classes or when you belong to the same group or share hobbies or you jog every day at the same time in the same park. Nobody is saying that's bad. If they do think that's bad, I think that might be from social anxiety, and I feel bad because I've been there. There is a huge fucking difference between all of those scenarios and being cornered when I'm just trying to go about my business by somebody I don't know or recognize who just wants to get my number. I wear headphones and read books in those situations for a reason: it's because I want to be left alone. No, I don't want to be hit on when I'm buying deodorant or washing my underwear.

And I hate to bring this up in a public forum, but I'm a survivor of rape and sexual abuse. If you won't leave me alone, I'm going to be polite and give you a fake phone number just to get away with you if you won't leave me alone, and I'll try not to go back to wherever I met you. Because I know from experience that if I don't do that, and something bad happens, I'm going to get blamed. And it sucks, and it's mean, and I'm ashamed of doing it, but I have no way of knowing whether you're an awesome dude or a piece of shit. The dude I thought was my best friend in the world turned out to be a piece of shit. I hate saying that on a public forum because god knows who is reading it or why, and it's not the kind of thing I like to share, but I'm afraid people won't get it otherwise.

Just, please, stop and consider the context, guys. I don't hate men, and I don't hate men who want to chat, but if you're feeling thirsty and you like to approach people when they're giving off signs that they don't want to talk to you, that means you should respect that and back off. You have to state it as broadly as possible to get the point across sometimes because people feel defensive and I feel bad about that. But it's easier to say "don't cold approach me unless I signal otherwise" than "here are the 25 specific times when it's probably okay to ask for a number."

Of course, I'm aging out of any desirable demographic anyway, and I'm sad to say that I'm kinda grateful to be getting old and unattractive.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Dudes can't even navigate this thread, of course they have no idea how to talk to someone.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
A normal person will read the situation and if the response is a polite "fuck off" they will do so

Aaaaaaaactually, a polite fuckoff can lead to:
  • the dude shouting at the woman
  • the dude punching the woman
  • the dude pestering the woman anyway
  • the dude saying he isn't one of the bad dudes and that the woman should be less of a bitch
  • the dude wondering why women always """friendzone""" him and how hard he has it and why does the woman not give him a chance now?
  • the dude just not even realizing he got a polite fuckoff, and instead seeing it as encouragement
The dude actually understanding it was a polite fuckoff, and then politely fucking off, is just one of the many possible reactions - and far from the most likely one.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
not too long ago my sister was at a club with some friends. a friend of a friend tried to hit on her and when she rejected him he grabbed her by the neck

so yeah

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's all about context. Does she seem interested by your presence? Or are you just cold approaching some girl minding her own business? FFS. What y'all aren't getting is we get approached a lot, and most of the time you're just another annoyance as we go about our days.

Ok? Of course it's about context. I literally said that there are signs in the post you quoted. I met my previous GF of 5 years because she was staring at me. I did a double take and she was still staring at me, and i was like hello. Later on I found out she wasn't actually staring at me but my bag. Nonetheless, I'm glad I said something because we were together for half a decade.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't approach at all. And you know where that gets me? Nowhere. You have to put yourself out there, and waiting for a friend to make a friend or otherwise "networking" doesn't really work. That's why people have shifted so much towards online data and using social media.

The reality is there's no good place to actually meet someone. It usually happens organically and seemingly at random. Talking to randoms will certainly increase the odds of it happening though. But the problem isn't in the talking to people so much as the it is in the intent. If you're chatting someone up just to do it, it comes off completely different than if you're trying to get laid.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Seeing a lot of guys here, as usual, asking "How do I date women then?"
  1. Not about you, it's about making sure women are comfortable.
  2. There are places proper for socialization. The train, the street, random shops and businesses, etc., are not the right places for it. Yes movies like setting meet-cutes in cafes or book stores or the grocer, but those are extraordinary circumstances you shouldn't be seeking to recreate. It's the romcom equivalent of the action movie's being the chosen one or the top special agent. It ain't happening with you, buddy.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Male responses here, a supposedly progressive community, shows how much we still have to go in terms of gender equality. It is absolutely not the same thing a guy talking to a random girl and a girl talking to a random guy in the street. It isnt hard to spot the difference, to understand the privilege.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Aaaaaaaactually, a polite fuckoff can lead to:
  • the dude shouting at the woman
  • the dude punching the woman
  • the dude pestering the woman anyway
  • the dude saying he isn't one of the bad dudes and that the woman should be less of a bitch
  • the dude wondering why women always """friendzone""" him and how hard he has it and why does the woman not give him a chance now?
  • the dude just not even realizing he got a polite fuckoff, and instead seeing it as encouragement
The dude actually understanding it was a polite fuckoff, and then politely fucking off, is just one of the many possible reactions - and far from the most likely one.

Can vouch for the bolded. I've personally had these happen either in real life or online.

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
I like men and I would love to find a guy but no. I think it's far better to establish friendships first and then get to somewhere from there. If you talk to me out of the blue on the street or at work, that's just strange and unsettling, and I have my experiences with that so I know that that crosses a line for me.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Daily reminder that LGBT people date too, and that we do not usually do so by trying to pick up everyone we meet, despite having a much harder time at finding dates in the first place. Weird ain't it?
Cmon dudes, you're on dating easy mode, you can do it without being a pain, too.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Please don't do this. It might work sometimes, but most of the time you're gonna look like a creep and make people uncomfortable. The grocery store or bus is not the place to try to get a date, let people live their lives.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Excelsiorlef as always in with the kill. Good sources.
astro checking your posts it worked once so with the approximate half a dozen time 5/6 you were just harassing a woman at work? Or 8/10 if you prefer your numbers rounded.

Oh damn

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I would never approach a woman out of the blue.

I become easily embarrased for others and seeing skeevy dudes hit on women who clearly ain't having it (i also worked with my mom for like a yr and that was pretty revealing) has completly reduced the chance that i approach anyone with the intention of something romantic to 0.

But i'm an introvert by nature and wont really approach anybody for anything social (i can engage in social activities just fine just not start em or approach em willingly) so it fits the way i am.

It works out tho because that way it's always the women who approach me so i know i ain't forcing nothing on them and it helps my self esteem (Yay at not feeling ugly!)