• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Look how many men are just so eager to run into the wood chipper! Clearly all men love it! Anyone who says otherwise is clearly wrong.

RedAjarIndigowingedparrot-small.gif
We have photographic evidence, check mate.
Guess I know what we're going to do next time we go to the boonies.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing wrong with it at all as long as you act very nice and civil. Some women think of it as almost a form of harassment, but look, if you go up to a girl who's in the middle of her workout at the gym, for example, and tap her on the shoulder and say "excuse me, I just want to say you are incredibly beautiful and have a gorgeous smile" as they are removing their headphones and caching their breath, what you're doing is proving your point that you are in fact an under-appreciated nice shy guy, just like late 90's Jason Biggs, not a creep who doesn't understand what boundaries are. If she can't handle that, she doesn't deserve you.

Am I the only one ITT who caught that this person was being satirical/making fun of the thing they were saying? Why did they get banned for that?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
There was an interesting This American Life where a reporter in Australia tried to get a street harasser to realize that what was doing sucked and was creepy. The conversation had, overall, the tenor of the Patrick wallet meme:

Zac
Yes, if you single out a girl and slap their ass, it can be a little bit creepy. But I wouldn't do that. I only slapped one ass of one group. I'm a one ass, one group guy. OK?

Eleanor Gordon-smith
Would you have slapped my ass if I'd been closer to you?

Zac
If you were in a group, yes. If you're on your own, no, I wouldn't.

Eleanor Gordon-smith
Why not if I was on my own?

Zac
It kind of takes away the fun of it. The fun of it is your ass-- it's not saying your ass is not hot, but your ass is the hottest of the group. Therefore, I've slapped it.

Eleanor Gordon-smith
Did anybody hit you, or yell at you, or tell you not to do that?

Zac
No. No, no, no. I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm complimenting a girl's ass in public.

Eleanor Gordon-smith
You think that smacking a girl's ass in public isn't doing anything wrong?

Zac
No.

Eleanor Gordon-smith
Would it matter to you if what you did actually make girls feel really terrible? If I could convince you that at least some of us were made to feel small and frightened by guys who smack our asses on the street or give us compliments without asking, does that matter to you?

Zac
Yeah, definitely. Fucking oath. I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable or anything about my presence.

Eleanor Gordon-smith
OK. So here's a thought that I think maybe hasn't occurred to you. There's quite a lot of violence against women, right? Like, we understand that. One of the things that happens when you feel afraid as a chick, and you're just walking around and a guy slaps your ass, is you don't know if he intends it as a compliment or if he's actually really violent.

And so something that we do, something that we've learned to do, is to not reject men. One of the strategies we adopt is laugh, smile, be collegiate, be appeasing, be non-confrontational. Right? So I want to suggest to you that it's possible that a lot of the smiles and laughs that you see on the faces of the women who you slap or compliment are ways for them to get out of the situation rather than ways of thanking you.

Zac
Well, I actually kind of feel a little bit bad now. Yeah, no, I do. Because I understand that. I understand that. That an ass slap cannot just be taken as a compliment.

[snip]

Eleanor Gordon-smith
Are you still going to yell at women on the street after talking to me?

Zac
Yes. I'm going to. Yes. Because--

Eleanor Gordon-smith
Even though it makes us feel bad.

Zac
But you can't speak for every girl.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Read through most of the topic. I'm honestly not surprised at the responses.

I don't cold approach, but I'd be lying if I said I never thought of the possibilities that can come from it. I have a good friend that lives in Santa Monica. His primary method of meeting women is through cold approach. This dude has been with some of the hottest women I've ever seen in my life. He met the majority of these women when they were out and about. No mutual friends or hobbies. He's a fairly handsome guy, but even he'll admit his looks aren't why he's so successful at it. He takes rejection gracefully, of course--and he doesn't just approach every good looking woman he sees. He's just a natural at making women feel at ease.

Thinking about what women as a collective have to deal with on a daily basis is mainly why I don't do it, though.

Dec 2, 2017
DudeEra has more sympathy towards incels, monsters who wants women to be their sex slaves, than their fellow LadyEra.

Do some of you guys even have any idea how fucking sad this is?

They don't. I just had a look at that dating thread I assume the OP was referring to and the last page is full of PUA lingo. Most men don't give a damn about women's opinions unless it helps them to get into their pants.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
given that they're not straight i'd say that makes them making fun of the male troglodytes ITT rather than being one themselves even more likely

Yep. They were pretending to post like them but you could tell they were doing so in a way that was making fun of a person like that. I got a sensible chuckle because interrupting a stranger in her zone at the gym just to say something like that sounds EXACTLY like something those bros would do lol.

I don't think they were banned for that, or it would say at the top of that post that they were banned for it.

They got banned for their post on the following page that was a continuation of the same humor. Seemed pretty obvious to me. Kinda interesting it got them banned imo.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
There was an interesting This American Life where a reporter in Australia tried to get a street harasser to realize that what was doing sucked and was creepy. The conversation had, overall, the tenor of the Patrick wallet meme:
giphy.gif

Whew what a convo and what a guy. I had very frustrating time with a co-worker of mine once. He's not pig enough to slap the asses of women (to my knowledge), but he does think that "compliments" belong into free speech. I tried to explain that it has nothing to do with that (duh!). Day later he did tell me that he understood now, though I'm not sure if he really did. Or if he has altered his behaviour because of it. Didn't stop the "locker room talk" between other guys and him at work, that's for sure. He has gotten a warning for his language before, don't know the details. Except that the complaint was from another worker, not a customer. If it was from a customer he would had been let go, now it was just a warning.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Yep. They were pretending to post like them but you could tell they were doing so in a way that was making fun of a person like that. I got a sensible chuckle because interrupting a stranger in her zone at the gym just to say something like that sounds EXACTLY like something those bros would do lol.

They got banned for their post on the following page that was a continuation of the same humor. Seemed pretty obvious to me. Kinda interesting it got them banned imo.

I just looked at the post that was quoted. I did try clicking on the users profile page to see if their history said they were banned in the same thread but they've restricted it.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
haha, why does this sound so familiar

If there's one thing about the whole "dudes, tell your friends this shit ain't OK" idea that I have trouble with its that the sorts of folks who behave this way don't want to listen, and definitely don't want engage in the sort of re-evaluation of their goodness of self called for in these cases, whether or not it's a lady or a fella telling them about it. I mean, *waves hands* case in point here.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
They really should appreciate that courage more. It's not easy for a girl to just walk up to a guy.

And if we stop, how would people ever find a boyfriend?

I almost crapped myself the first time I kicked a guy in the balls. I don't think he really understood how big a deal that was for me :/

Funny you mention it, that's how I met my husband. Walked up to him at Target and kicked him in the balls. Happy days ever since :')

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
going from many men's responses in this thread, the world would probably benefit a lot if we men all invested in chastity belts for ourselves

The biggest irony of this topic is that all of the advice about how to talk to women, how to meet women, and how to impress women, comes from men giving advice to other men. All these recommendations come from guys who think they are knowledgeable about women because they've had sex with them. Men trust these recommendations from other men more than they trust recommendations from actual women.

So when women say "I don't like this," some men don't know how to respond other than attempting to vacuum-seal the point of view. You must be an exception, they say. You don't speak for all women, they say. They become defensive of learned norms because they cannot conceive an alternative. They have never had to. If told to change the way they approach women for dates, they don't know what to change it to, because men have been giving each other advice on how to do this for generations.

The tragedy here is that for all the intention some men have to learn how to talk to women, listening to them apparently is not a priority.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
They don't. I just had a look at that dating thread I assume the OP was referring to and the last page is full of PUA lingo. Most men don't give a damn about women's opinions unless it helps them to get into their pants.

Dating Age? There's one dude posting PUA stuff and everyone else has been yelling at him for a few pages, let's not misrepresent

The tragedy here is that for all the intention some men have to learn how to talk to women, listening to them apparently is not a priority.

Not only that, but the loudest male voices giving advice (PUA) make it a central tenet to not listen to what a woman says. So that "I don't like this" is actually "show me your value" or something.

Rosen

Oct 25, 2017
Look how many men are just so eager to run into the wood chipper! Clearly all men love it! Anyone who says otherwise is clearly wrong.

RedAjarIndigowingedparrot-small.gif
I know right it's fool proof I even saved costs as I dyed my wedding dress black for mourning.
going from many men's responses in this thread, the world would probably benefit a lot if we men all invested in chastity belts for ourselves
Apparently it's cheaper than treating a woman with basic human dignity...

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The biggest irony of this topic is that all of the advice about how to talk to women, how to meet women, and how to impress women, comes from men giving advice to other men. All these recommendations come from guys who think they are knowledgeable about women because they've had sex with them. Men trust these recommendations from other men more than they trust recommendations from actual women.

So when women say "I don't like this," some men don't know how to respond other than attempting to vacuum-seal the point of view. You must be an exception, they say. You don't speak for all women, they say. They become defensive of learned norms because they cannot conceive an alternative. They have never had to. If told to change the way they approach women for dates, they don't know what to change it to, because men have been giving each other advice on how to do this for generations.

Yeah I was thinking this too, also when I saw that "doctor nerd love" guy's blog. As he is indeed a guy, I thought it's bit weird that man is giving tips to other men about what women like and expect. As the blog was clearly ment for men only. I feel the advice then often if not always also comes from an angle of how to impress other men while approaching women. How to seem manly to other men or some shit. How to be a "player" if you will. Feels like it's more about how men expect men to act. Though I really didn't dive into the articles, so maybe I'm wrong about this. Just something it got me thinking.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Doctor Nerd Love is certainly not the worst romantic advice ever but I think it's pretty weak tea overall and in general I would rather push people away from it. Then again I freebase queer feminist shit in my spare time and I think that it would give most people going in cold a heart attack. Gotta start with small doses

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
I almost crapped myself the first time I kicked a guy in the balls. I don't think he really understood how big a deal that was for me :/

Funny you mention it, that's how I met my husband. Walked up to him at Target and kicked him in the balls. Happy days ever since :')

I met my husband when I kicked him in the balls at the train station. He still wasn't that interested, so I followed him as he limped home and then kicked him again. We've been together for 20 years next year. Just persevere girls, some guys just don't know they really want to be kicked in the balls right away!

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Never approached a woman in that manner, I wouldn't wan't anyone to do it to me. Not that they would.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cold Approaching, as in:

- no prior meeting
- no introduction (usually from a mutual friend)
- no affiliation (work, hobby, etc.)
- no existing situation for meeting random people (mixer, potluck, speed dating (does this still exist?), etc.)
- they have said nothing to you, shared a furtive glance multiple times, or some other extremely obvious outward expression of attraction (this is very rare unless you are a movie star or incredibly good looking)
- starting a conversation with the explicit intention of picking them up

Has a near zero chance of leaving any kind of impression other than outing you as a creepy bastard. It's a heartbeat away from cat-calling.

Regardless of what you think, most [fill-in gender\sex\expression combination you are attracted to here] are just trying to get through their day. Ya know, a human being. Like you.

Having said all of that, I'm not suggesting that you never talk to a person of the [fill-in gender\sex\expression combination you are attracted to here] in any situation. By all means, if you know someone that you are attracted to in one of the reversed situations defined above, say "hey", "how ya been?", "crazy party right?", "man [authority figure] is such as asshole, right", etc. Strike up a conversation. Build a rapport, and ask them out if it's not an inappropriate situation (position of power, event where you really shouldn't be picking someone up, etc.).

It's not that hard, really.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, when you look at those threads in the gaming section about fanservice and stuff you would think dudera is progressive and stuff but then you look at threads like this one where they show their true colors and you realize, nope.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
You know, when you look at those threads in the gaming section about fanservice and stuff you would think dudera is progressive and stuff but then you look at threads like this one where they show their true colors and you realize, nope.

You should try the "Why women criticise sexualised character designs |OT2| I have no pants and I must scream (READ OP)" thread on the gaming side. Its been pages upon pages of "but mah animu tiddies" while people try to explain to them why exactly women criticize those designs. There is no limit to my admiration for the women and male allies there fighting the good fight.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should try the "Why women criticise sexualised character designs |OT2| I have no pants and I must scream (READ OP)" thread on the gaming side. Its been pages upon pages of "but mah animu tiddies" while people try to explain to them why exactly women criticize those designs. There is no limit to my admiration for the women and male allies there fighting the good fight.
Those threads were a painful read.

This one hasn't been easy, either.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet most straighy guys here who defent this shit would absolutely lost their shit if a gay man try it with them.

Oct 27, 2017
Cold Approaching, as in:

- no prior meeting
- no introduction (usually from a mutual friend)
- no affiliation (work, hobby, etc.)
- no existing situation for meeting random people (mixer, potluck, speed dating (does this still exist?), etc.)
- they have said nothing to you, shared a furtive glance multiple times, or some other extremely obvious outward expression of attraction (this is very rare unless you are a movie star or incredibly good looking)
- starting a conversation with the explicit intention of picking them up

Has a near zero chance of leaving any kind of impression other than outing you as a creepy bastard. It's a heartbeat away from cat-calling.

Regardless of what you think, most [fill-in gender\sex\expression combination you are attracted to here] are just trying to get through their day. Ya know, a human being. Like you.

Having said all of that, I'm not suggesting that you never talk to a person of the [fill-in gender\sex\expression combination you are attracted to here] in any situation. By all means, if you know someone that you are attracted to in one of the reversed situations defined above, say "hey", "how ya been?", "crazy party right?", "man [authority figure] is such as asshole, right", etc. Strike up a conversation. Build a rapport, and ask them out if it's not an inappropriate situation (position of power, event where you really shouldn't be picking someone up, etc.).

It's not that hard, really.
This needs to be added to the OP as a primer for the more.... oblivious men on this forum.