• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time not a fan. I dunno, the idea of intentionally approaching for something more than friendship doesn't sit well with me.
I wear super casual clothes when I go out for only groceries (or a single quick errand) because I feel like I get approached more when I dress my typical style (which is more chic I guess). Just trying to get some pasta, man
The homely casual thing does it for some people.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
If your complaint is only about "several" people, don't extrapolate in your next sentence to "entire society" when that's not even close to the make-up of the responses in this thread.

Also I'm going to quote you a post:

The premise of the thread is precisely men cold approaching women with the intention of getting a date or a phone number. Please find me the receipts of people that want no human interaction at all in public without the circumstances actually outlined. Can't speak for the other ladies, but I have no issue most of the time with another woman approaching me, because it is almost always guaranteed that they actually have something to discuss, or they're trying to pass the time, and they don't have some other motive that involves anything romantic or sexual. I've even exchanged numbers with other women in the most dreaded place that everyone tells you to avoid -- the gym. Even the hard "no" responses are in response to the question framed in the OP.

I've seen multiple posts with people (a lot of men too) saying basically "fuck off and never talk to me in public". If I misunderstood those replies then I apologize but they seem pretty cut and dry to me.

There's nothing wrong with an individual taking that attitude; I was just surmising what a society made up of people like that would be like. It was more a joke than anything.

But I can see my opinions on this subject are neither needed nor wanted so I'm just gonna duck out of this thread. My intention was never to offend people with that post.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my general impression is that cold approaches are weirder than ever because online dating is easier and more acceptable than ever. why bother even chancing making people uncomfortable in random situations when you can just meet people on apps where you already have the right expectations on both sides?

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Don't like it, but only because i have extreme anxiety talking to people. Tends to happen a lot though.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I just don't talk to anyone ever unless it's part of their job to assist me

On an unrelated note, I'm going to die alone and no one will find my body

Monkeyball

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Misogyny.
my general impression is that cold approaches are weirder than ever because online dating is easier and more acceptable than ever. why bother even chancing making people uncomfortable in random situations where you can just meet people on apps where you already have the right expectations on both sides?

Is being uncomfortable so bad though? Not everything in life has to be comfortable. I could understand it if a girl gets approached all the time it can get annoying though. But does that happen?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I generally like talking to people, but I do get uncomfortable with men who are clearly just approaching me because of romantic/sexual interest. Maybe I would feel differently if a large number of those encounters didn't end negatively. But in reality, they do, so I'd rather just not deal with it all.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
my general impression is that cold approaches are weirder than ever because online dating is easier and more acceptable than ever. why bother even chancing making people uncomfortable in random situations where you can just meet people on apps where you already have the right expectations on both sides?

For a small but persistent percentage of men a minuscule chance of getting their dick wet is more important than women feeling comfortable existing.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best way to get straight men to actually understand this idea would be to think of what it would be like to be approached by other men rather than women - clearly that would be uncomfortable for them and it evens out the physical imbalance between biological males and females
Not really. A compliment is a compliment.

blizzink

Oct 27, 2017
As a (male) bartender, I tend to try and find work near the cold approach to make sure everything is chill. I've run interference in the past. It sucks.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real issue is how one approaches. Friendly comment on something happening around us? Good ice breaker. Full out, "MAMA, YOU SO FINE. YOU GOT A (WO)MAN?" kills it before it even made it out the womb.

Yep.

I don't typically approach women I don't know without them making it abundantly clear they're down, but I've had success just...talking to them. You know, almost as if they're people.

As with everything else in life, intent and the how count for a lot.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I guess a lot of it has to do with how interaction with men tends to be.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
???

Never approach/talk strangers in public unless an urgent/emergency reason.
Even dystopian fiction like 1984 has people chatting with strangers. Jesus, dude

Whoa.

Okay, so that's what a "cold approach" is? Never mind. I thought a cold approach was just conversation without sexual/attraction interest or intent. Guess I should have read better. Never mind, I retract all I said. But won't edit out my posts either. Hope all other future replies read this.

Edit: is that is a cold approach, asking for her number, what is a hot approach?
It would be a warm approach, meaning that you already know them.

Growing up this was pretty standard. You'd ask a young lady if you could talk to them for a second and if it worked out you'd exchange numbers. Sometimes it was the other way around. Over the years I've done it about 30 times (the last time being around 99 or 2000) and never got shut down. That number is extremely low compared to literally everybody I grew up with. Maybe it's a regional thing as speaking to a stranger is more likely to happen than not in New Orleans but that's how it was and from digging the scene when I'm out and about it's still the primary way that people meet. I thought maybe it was a race/environment thing but my wife is white and grew up in a small town outside of New Orleans and it's all she's ever known too.
Your reign of terror making women uncomfortable is finally over. The world can now sleep peacefully at night.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Women of Era, how about on election day?

Let's say I'm in line waiting to vote and you're a few people ahead of me... if I walk up to you while you're filling out your ballot (nice hand writing btw I always struggle to fill in my circles completely!!! isn't that so funny), casually brush up against your leg in your polling booth, how do you think that'd go? I'm assuming because we both love democracy (trust me I love all of the issues, I'm very passionate, why else would I be voting) that you'd see that we're fellow travelers on this same cosmic journey and maybe we could get a drink. Plus, I overheard you mention where you live to the poll worker. I seriously live only a couple blocks from you, what are the odds that two lost connections end up at the same random spot on a Tuesday in November and just happen to live mere blocks from one another? I'm walking your way anyway, let's walk together.

What do you mean you're not interested?

Well what the fuck you just told your name to that old crusty fuck sitting at that table and you're not going to tell me your name? What's better about her than me? Why'd you tell her you were independent then? Don't you realize that when you tell A STRANGER that you're independent that most GOOD GUYS LIKE ME take that as a signal that as you're not currently seeing anyone and interested in meeting new people?

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
1. "I would love it to be approached and hit on all day, every day."
As a man, sure. But men lack context. Men have both the physical and psychological power imbalance weigh, sometimes heavily, in their favour. They don't have to deal with people much stronger than them and the possible fallout if their advances are rebuffed. Men are much more likely to commit physical and sexual crimes so if a man was approached by a woman, he doesn't have this fear in the back of his mind that this may end in bodily harm. Not just that, but I'm pretty sure men who would find it exciting at first would get tired of it. Not being able to do anything without the chance of being interrupted is incredibly irritating. Sometimes it's nice to just be left alone.

2. "It's fine if you approach a woman, just read the signals."
This advice should never be given out under any circumstances. You have no way of knowing whether or not the recipient of said advice actually can read signals (and if they're asking, chances are good they can't). To think everyone can read signals as well as you is a horrendous miscalculation and shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how dense some people can be. This also comes with the caveat that you actually need to know how to read signals yourself and you haven't just deluded yourself into thinking you're some sort of empath able to read the feelings of every woman you approach. This isn't even talking about how women are conditioned to behave in these situations for their own personal safety (see point 1).

3. "Gosh darn millennials just sitting in their hotel rooms texting. They'll only be happy when they never have to interact with anyone ever again!"
Calm down and eat some avocado toast. It's good for you, promise. This is either a misunderstanding of the topic at hand, or a subtle attempt at manipulating the conversation to grounds more easily defensible. So let me disillusion everyone. This isn't about talking to people in public. You want to talk to people in public, go for it. Men, women, gender-fluids, cats, dogs, furries, whatever. You can talk to people. The point is do not go up to a person (women especially) and strike up an artificial conversation with the intention of then asking them out. It makes them uncomfortable. This isn't an attack on socializing. Women don't need to be constantly harassed by men who want to get in their pants (or just want to go for coffee for the nice guys out there with more noble intentions). And I'm sure there are some women who don't want to be approached at all, regardless of if you were going to ask them out or not? Why? Because it's hard to tell the difference between men who want to have a casual conversation and those with ulterior motives. Unlike those select guys from point 2, women aren't empaths who can read the feelings of every man who approaches them so it's hard to tell their intentions. It's a lot easier to just avoid contact with people in public at all then risk running into a guy who could pose a threat. And listen, I'm not a woman nor a data scientist, but I'm willing to bet men who approach women to strike up a conversation are more likely to propostion them then they are to just walk away after they finished whatever random chat they wanted to have. Oh and for the record, some people just do want to be left alone. And that's fine. Nobody owes you their time, not even...

4."People at work are fair game."
That waitress who was so nice to you? They're paid for that. If they weren't nice to you, they wouldn't have a job. Also, they're paid shitty money and a lot of their income comes from tips which people give more often when the service is friendly. Let them do their damn job. It's hard enough dealing with annoying bosses and entitled customers without having to reject self-proclaimed suitors. The worst thing about hitting on a waitress is that they can't even tell you to fuck off. They do that and there goes their tip and a possible lecture from a boss because they were rude to a customer. Don't put them in a situation like that.

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When single I do it a the time, only had 1 bad experience. Asides from that got a few dates out of it, shit tons of smiles and 1 baby mama.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
Women of Era, how about on election day?

Let's say I'm in line waiting to vote and you're a few people ahead of me... if I walk up to you while you're filling out your ballot (nice hand writing btw I always struggle to fill in my circles completely!!! isn't that so funny), casually brush up against your leg in your polling booth, how do you think that'd go? I'm assuming because we both love democracy (trust me I love all of the issues, I'm very passionate, why else would I be voting) that you'd see that we're fellow travelers on this same cosmic journey and maybe we could get a drink. Plus, I overheard you mention where you live to the poll worker. I seriously live only a couple blocks from you, what are the odds that two lost connections end up at the same random spot on a Tuesday in November and just happen to live mere blocks from one another? I'm walking your way anyway, let's walk together.
this would seriously be so romantic.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is being uncomfortable so bad though? Not everything in life has to be comfortable. I could understand it if a girl gets approached all the time it can get annoying though. But does that happen?
that's fair too. i don't mean to say that i think guys should stop doing it altogether. but maybe only do it if you have a more solid in than "i think you're really cute, and i wanted to ask you out". like, if she's wearing a shirt with that references your favourite pop culture thing and you can approach on that, cool. if she's in a night club or bar, cool. if there is something legitimately so uniquely striking about her that she is a 1 in a million catch for you in particular, cool. but if this is just your general method of pick up, then i'd strongly advise using dating apps. they just work out much better for all parties.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If that's the case then I apologize. I took it as a question of social interactions in public in general. If we're only talking about getting hit on then I fucked up.
Yeah... this is from the OP:

so a discussion came up in the dating thread about making "cold approaches" on women going about their day

in non-PUA terms, what this means is striking up conversations with random women you happen to see on public transport, at the shop, in the town square, in the library or whatever, with the intention of getting a date, or at least a phone number.
To be clear, your apology seems sincere and I have no issues accepting it, so this isn't intended to single you out, but people not reading OPs and posting their take is a very common problem here so I want to really encourage people to, well, read the damn OPs. :)

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Now imagine you're not attracted to 95% of them, and they don't care if you say no, they don't care if you were busy, they don't care that you're already seeing someone or already married, and they make really gross comments. And imagine you can't go a single day without it happening. All the time. It literally never ends.

Be careful what you wish for.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
OK:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14659877/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14660242/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14661047/
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14661332/

Here's your broader picture. You told someone else earlier, "What is your problem? You need to read the damn thread...", I believe. Maybe you should do that too. ^^

Yes, they gave me direct feedback which I have read and acknowledge. The thread was moving quite quickly at one point and I overlooked a few posts.

What does that have to do with my exchange with excelsiorlef that you just quoted? I was clarifying to excelsiorlef why I was asking for specific feedback, due to our specific exchange. That has nothing to do with other people's feedback.

I only told people to read the thread who were literally misrepresenting my posts based on assumptions or ignoring posts I had made previously ( I can link these if you want me to?), so I think your reply is unfair again and I really am confused why you chose that specific comment to reply to.

So you agree with me but those saying not to harass women at work saying A) It's bad idea B) 9/10 as an example is bad? If you hate the idea why did you do it yourself?

I don't do it myself as a habit. I have done it maybe a half dozen times in my lifetime.

Women who work in a social place shouldn't be expected to be approached on a personal front by patrons. You wouldn't hit on a bank teller would you? You given example of the people you work with arranging dates, we have no idea the interpersonal relationships between them at all. Other than being asked out at work assigning correlation to it is odd, as you've focused on 9/10 as a negative.

I have a lot of experience in the industry, and my experience goes against excelsiorlef's claim that "9 out of 10 times it's a bad idea". I wanted to know what they were basing this on, and it turns out they were basing it on generalized experience. This is fine, but I was talking specifically as my experience here has shown me different, I wanted to discover how close to the standard my experience was.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Based on the responses here how does anyone get to know anyone?
Every time I've made new friends or found a date as an adult it was through hobbies, mutual friends, social events/parties, work, online dating or different social circles of all of the above colliding at an event/night out, leading to meeting friends-of-friends etc. Generally some kind of shared reason to be in the same space rather than randomly talking to someone who has something else to do.

Sure, I've made small talk in queues etc, but not this 'cold approach' thing. It seems incredibly forward, highly likely to be annoying/unwanted for the other party, to the benefit of one party more than the other in terms of a numbers game, not to mention the power imbalance/potential threat aspect where one side has a small chance of getting a date with someone they find physically attractive and the other is weighing up the odds of how psychotic the approaching guy is. Not everyone appreciates it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really so much to ask that y'all just read the responses from women and adjust your actions accordingly? Nobody asked for the men of era to recount that one time they cold approached somebody and it worked out or for you to unnecessarily berate women because "society just ain't what it used to be, I'll tell you what"

Just read the responses and react accordingly. That's it. It's not difficult.

Most men don't cold approach, you want to terrify a man go tell him to talk to an attractive woman right on the spot, you'll probably hear about 50 different excuses for why he can't do it.

It's generally not easy to do.

It's also the reason why a lot of really attractive women will say they never get approached ... because it's terrifying for a lot men to even try, lol.

I'd say probably maybe 5% of men that I've ever met will cold approach just at the snap of a finger and even that is probably a generous number.

In a social setting like a night club or bar, it's fair game though I think everyone going has an idea that they're there to interact with people.

Man I'm with you on it being difficult for me to approach people in general, but this response just screams #NotAllMen.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
As a guy holy shit I would feel so awkward to cold convo someone. Maybe it's different in other cities but in NYC no one talks to each other unless it's to bathe in the mutual rage of the subway being delayed.
Brah, tell me about it. The last time someone tried to talk to me on the subway it ended with him asking me if I knew our lord and savior Jesus Christ. Otherwise it's just business.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it. It makes me extremely uncomfortable. I usually let you know if I am interested in talking to you. I used to work as a waitress during summer break and I had a lot of men asking for my phone number when I rang up the bill for them. I even got "But you were nice to me, I thought you were interested" a couple of times. The concept that I had to be nice because I was serving them drinks was apparently foreign to them. A few weeks ago some guy followed me for a good five minutes on my way home and then asked for my phone number out of the blue. I told him that he came across as a huge creep and he couldn't even see why I might think that.
Genuine question, how do you let someone know you're interested? I ask because I've had girls get mad because I didn't ask them out. Like I'm supposed to know?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Crying?

Have you read my posts at all? I am obviously aware of what being a bartender entails.

What the fuck at this point, some of you people are fucking horrible to speak with.

9 out of 10 is a large claim to make, and my experience goes against that idea, which is why I focused on it and asked for your experience.

So there's a very good reason why I focused on "9 out of 10".

You've also not shown any actual specific experience related to bar staff, so your claims that the majority of them don't enjoy this seem to be based on your experiences in general. And as this is something specific, I as asking for specific experience to help balance my own specific experience to try to paint a broader picture for myself.

It's not hard to understand that most people don't go to work to get hit on. You're utterly obsessed with my turn of phrase my lord.

"I am not a servant. I am not a potential date. Please don't take advantage of the fact that I have to treat you in a professional manner. This is my place of employment, not your house. You are the guest here. Please behave like one."

https://www.businessinsider.com/things-bartenders-want-to-tell-customers-2017-11

Unfortunately, stories like these from a bartending thread on Reddit are common:

"He would circle my bar and just stare at me. I would tell him to leave ... and he wouldn't go. I thought ignoring him would be fine. I left for a week in between and when I came back he was still there."

"Someone [waited] on the patio for 45 minutes till I came out at 3:30 then tried to demand to walk me home ..."

"A customer told me he was 'going to have sex with me whether I liked it or not.'"

A study by restaurant industry group ROC said that 78 percent of servers and bartenders surveyed were harassed by customers. Nearly two-thirds said they ignore sexually harassing behaviors, often for fear of looking harsh in front of other customers or losing tips.

"There's that fine line when it's your income so you are trying to be nice," says Penni Marler, who has worked as a server and bartender in several Tennessee bars. "If they see you being defensive or forceful to a customer, it turns the others off. But there's that line they cross where you have to take back control."

Appearing tough is part of a bartender's armor against harassment, so it can be difficult to admit there's a problem. Marler stresses how she hasn't felt unsafe, because she's extremely cautious and "ready to kick anyone's butt." But she also realizes that being so vigilant may be a sign she actually has felt unsafe.

"Let's put it this way, I'm cautious enough that I carry a pistol with me," Marler says.

Whether it's innocent flirting, full-on harassment or something in between, bartenders are likely to spend time at work dealing with inappropriate behavior. Working behind the bar means your relationship status, clothing choices and appearance are all up for scrutiny and comment by customers.

"Jane," a 24-year-old bartender at an Irish pub near San Francisco, asked to remain anonymous. She says that on a Friday or Saturday night behind the bar, she gets hit on by customers "15 to 20 times." There are few other industries where a typical shift means more than a dozen people proposition you while you try to work.

"Customers ask if I'm single all the time, and a lot act like I am no matter what I say," she says. "Part of my job is to get hit on."

https://talesofthecocktail.com/in-depth/When-customers-hit-on-the-Bartenders

Some of us are here to work and only work, so to pull our attention off that goal and get us to risk our self-respect, reputation among colleagues, and sheer freedom of coming into work knowing we'll never have a hook-up staring at us across the bar like a shit show in our place of business… would take something just short of a miracle.

https://medium.com/@krisgage/how-to-pick-up-the-bartender-749de6bba996

'The line is crossed, and it's crossed daily': The struggles of female bartenders

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...b6c00c90481_story.html?utm_term=.c46896da870f

Why You Should Never Hit On A Bartender
I got a lot of awkward propositions while working as a bartender in grad school. Believe me, you're not as charming as you think.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/susanematthews/5-reasons-you-shouldnt-hit-on-a-bartender

There's a terrible truth to what it's like being a female bartender in a college bar. Every shift a female works they risk being harassed, cat-called, and degraded.

Nearly 37 percent of all sexual harassment charges filed by women with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission come from the hospitality industry.

Due to confidentiality, names have been changed.

Students Vanessa Smith and Melissa Johnson share their experiences with being a female bartender here at WVU.

Smith quit her job because she felt that she just wasn't satisfied with how she was being treated at her job by her boss, co-workers, and customers.

Johnson currently is still bartending at her original location of employment.

78 percent of servers and bartenders were harassed by customers. Nearly two-thirds said they ignore sexually harassing behaviors, often for fear of looking harsh in front of other customers or losing tips.

Smith agrees with the statistic. "I have had customers harass me telling me to "give them a chance" or "let me get your number." Walking to/from work I would get cat calls. Co-workers and men of higher positions would sexual me and encourage me to approve it."

"No one has ever been too aggressive with his or her comments to the point that I couldn't brush off. I have been given attitude after not giving someone my number before," Johnson explains.

https://morgantownnightlife.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/the-double-standard/

Although these situations are too nuanced and contextual to come down to do's and don'ts, there are certain things to consider before giving sexual attention to a female bartender or server. Consider the power dynamic: Women will make more money if their patrons like them; often, their managers will scold them if they react negatively to what we have collectively deemed to be acceptable attention. Where does that leave the woman? She is expected to smile and say thank you, even if she feels mildly affronted, even if she finds you disgusting—although you would likely never detect this as she is forced to suspend these opinions at work.

https://www.salon.com/2016/02/01/server_not_a_sex_toy/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Just Stop Trying to Hit on Your Bartender
As a woman, there is no way around the ugly truth that comes with the objectification of us while making you drinks: it sucks. Though, It should not be accepted.

Some words of advice if you are a dude who likes to make rude sexual comments or hit on servers at restaurants: If you are sexually frustrated, please masturbate before coming into a bar instead of taking out your frustration on us and looking like a thirsty fool. Most of us are already in relationships. You are not going to get our number. You are not going to get laid or hook up with anyone. That only happens in porn movies.

We are just there to work and take your money. That's it.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/kbkwdz/just-stop-trying-to-hit-on-your-bartender

As a female bartender and avid bar-goer, I have been on both sides of the bartender-customer love affair. I shouldn't say "love affair," because it is often completely one-sided

https://thoughtcatalog.com/charlotte-haab/2014/06/10-reasons-not-to-hit-on-the-bartender/

don't hit on the bartender. It's alluring, and it always seems just a hair away from possible, but remember that these are paid professionals who for the most part try and be friendly with their customers. But they're on the job, and there is nothing more annoying than someone trying to make small talk when there are 10 drink orders on deck (except of course, you are exception #1. In which case, please continue).

https://brobible.com/life/article/never-do-at-bar-by-bartender/

13. Don't hit on the bartenders

transparent-320x50.gif

rs_500x209-141002154300-tumblr_m6mtuynoPY1qzjp5co1_500.gif

"I'm here to work, not date. Besides in a bar full of drunk and available people, why would you want to hit on the only sober one?"?NoPhilosophy

https://www.eonline.com/ca/news/585083/bartenders-reveal-24-things-you-should-never-ever-do-at-bars

Should You Hit on Your Bartender?

Please consider supporting my writing onPatreon.

The answer to this question is pretty universally "no," if we're being quite honest. Bartenders (and other service workers) are already dealing with an imbalanced power dynamic where it is literally their job to make you feel like they like you, and there is a very real risk that rebuffing your advances may lose them their job. Their income, and often even their employment, is almost entirely dependent on how convincingly they act like they like you, and on how much you like them.

http://blog.totallynotmalware.net/?p=99

THOU SHALT ALWAYS SAVE YOUR FELLOW BARTENDER FROM SLOPPY DRUNK ADVANCES
You get hit on a lot in bartending – it is an unfortunate occupational hazard. It's our job to be nice to our customers, so add that to the hazy filter of beer goggles and apparently we're irresistible. We're a captive audience behind the bar, so when one of the team's good customer service gets confused with affection , they can sometimes get ensnared and that's our cue to intervene. They're on break, they need to change a barrel or see the manager – whatever it takes!

https://www.allbartenders.com/10-bartending-commandments/

We've all been there: you've been drinking for a few hours, the bartender's been making you laugh, listening intently to your stories, and maybe even bought you a round or two. You start to think to yourself: "Am I drunk, or is the bartender into me?"

Nine times out of ten, you're just drunk. Hitting on a bartender is almost always a bad idea. We're flirts. We're paid to be interested in anybody who tries to talk to us. Being hit on can be incredibly uncomfortable when you're trapped behind the bar and you have to be nice.

On the other hand, almost every bartender I know (myself included) ends up dating customers. It's inevitable. Our reputation for being *ahem* amorously adventurous isn't entirely unfounded. That puts customers in a tricky position. How do you know when, or if, you should make your move?

If you're not drunk, you haven't been too sexually explicit, you tip well, and you've genuinely been having a good time with your bartender, my advice is to stick with the classic: leave your number on your credit card receipt. It saves the bartender from having to answer while they're working and saves you the awkwardness of being rejected and then having to pay your tab.

https://www.w42st.com/article/117hyv7y6hgpq/love-me-bartender

bar12.jpg

https://www.thetalko.com/18-female-bartenders-reveal-their-abnormal-work-scenarios/5/?v=8

Whether your crush is your bartender, barista or server, by showing up at their place of employment uninvited (and unannounced), you're doing what my friends in the industry like to call "trapping" them.

"The unfortunate reality on my end is that I'm trapped behind the bar. I can't get away from awkward advances, even if I wanted to," says Damara Huynh, partner and bartender at Camp 4 on Dundas West.
https://www.thestar.com/life/2016/06/21/when-hitting-your-local-pub-dont-become-a-trapper.html

3. It's a huge turn off when you hit on us.
As soon as the thought of hitting on a bartender pops into your head, just stop yourself right there. Bartenders get annoyed and truthfully speaking, we don't want to hear your bullsh*t comments. No I will not meet you in the washroom, no I will not let you rock my world and no I will not go on a date with you.
https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toron...sure-no-toronto-bartender-will-ever-serve-you

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Pretty sure the vast majority of people who go out in the world don't want to talk to more strangers than they have to.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Women will approach you in public if they're interested enough in you, but as a man I just choose never to do that. Depending on the situation, there are cases when it's absolutely fine to approach someone

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to understand that most people don't go to work to get hit on. You're utterly obsessed with my turn of phrase my lord.

Your approach to me ITT has been really off.

1. I asked about approaching people in a specific situation.
2. You responded with a claim that the majority of the time that was a bad idea in that situation.
3. As my own experience is vastly different to this claim, and as my own experience is quite extensive here, I asked you to back that claim up with something directly related.
4. Since then the ONLY reason I have "focused" on "9 out of 10" is because YOU keep bringing it up as something I'm obsessed with...

Like, that post you just quoted literally and reasonably broke this all down and explained my "obsession".

My lord, indeed.

As for your extensive reply, thank you for that, THAT part is actually useful.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really so much to ask that y'all just read the responses from women and adjust your actions accordingly? Nobody asked for the men of era to recount that one time they cold approached somebody and it worked out or for you to unnecessarily berate women because "society just ain't what it used to be, I'll tell you what"

Just read the responses and react accordingly. That's it. It's not difficult.

Man I'm with you on it being difficult for me to approach people in general, but this response just screams #NotAllMen.

The fact is it is difficult to approach. And really even people going for the cold approach usually know there's a high percentage they're gonna get rejected.

Most guys don't even try to do it from my experience, and I'm talking like so-called "jocks" too, not just video game fans.

Like I don't know where all these guys who cold approach randomly come from, from my experience, I've seen maybe like 1-2% of men who have the gall to cold approach outside of a nightclub, and I'm talking guys who are so-called "jocks" or whatever.

Rosen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't do it myself as a habit. I have done it maybe a half dozen times in my lifetime.

I have a lot of experience in the industry, and my experience goes against excelsiorlef's claim that "9 out of 10 times it's a bad idea". I wanted to know what they were basing this on, and it turns out they were basing it on generalized experience. This is fine, but I was talking specifically as my experience here has shown me different, I wanted to discover how close to the standard my experience was.
You don't do it as a habit? That makes it fine? In the thread we've got women saying not to and you agree with that stance, yet "I've done it half a dozen times". Honestly how many times did it work? Yes Excelsiorlef is using generalisations as nobody is going to be able to match your anecdotal opinions to the contrary. Even with mine you acknowledged it then justified it as it's not a habit. This isn't social smoking where you can just pick and choose when you stop.

If you have multiple people telling you don't harass women at work it isn't something you can argue away with "my experiences don't match at all". Your experiences aren't absolute fact, you should be able to acknowledge that.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will chat with anyone if we are standing on line or see something noteworthy of comment. But I would never approach a stranger out of the blue with the intention of "chatting them up". It's creepy.
Yeah, if you're at a bus stop or waiting around somewhere, hanging out at a bar, etc, it's ok to strike up a conversation. I've even made friends this way, and yes met a couple women who I later asked out when there seemed to be some mutual interest.

But there's a difference between that and approaching someone out of the blue with an agenda of convincing them to go out with you or go home with you. That's inherently menacing.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
The fact is it is difficult to approach. And really even people going for the cold approach usually know there's a high percentage they're gonna get rejected.

Most guys don't even try to do it from my experience, and I'm talking like so-called "jocks" too, not just video game fans.

Like I don't know where all these guys who cold approach randomly come from, from my experience, I've seen maybe like 1-2% of men who have the gall to cold approach outside of a nightclub, and I'm talking guys who are so-called "jocks" or whatever.
It's a lot more common when alcohol is involved.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Your approach to me ITT has been really off.

1. I asked about approaching people in a specific situation.
2. You responded with a claim that the majority of the time that was a bad idea in that situation.
3. As my own experience is vastly different to this claim, and as my own experience is quite extensive here, I asked you to back that claim up with something directly related.
4. Since then the ONLY reason I have "focused" on "9 out of 10" is because YOU keep bringing it up as something I'm obsessed with...

Like, that post you just quoted literally and reasonably broke this all down and explained my "obsession".

My lord, indeed.

As for your extensive reply, thank you for that, THAT part is actually useful.

I gave you the common sense fact that it's a place of work and generally people don't like getting picked up at work.

To which you handwaived and jumped right back to my 9 out of 10 comment.

So no you don't go back to it because of me.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a lot more common when alcohol is involved.

Yes sure in a nightclub, but I think if you're going to a nightclub or bar, you do so understanding you're going to a social venue where social interaction is part of the experience.

I don't know how many men are randomly drunk in public settings with the intention of striking up conversation with women.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

haha damn that's quite an extensive list of resources

i'd say, based on this, it's fair to say there's an overwhelming consensus among nearly everyone working those jobs

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
haha damn that's quite an extensive list of resources

i'd say it's fair to say there's an overwhelming consensus among nearly everyone working those jobs

Even the Bro Bible, the Bro Bible, says don't.

And those that say if you must leave your number on the receipt at the end which is perfectly not aggressive and very much not really the type of asking out that there's an issue with.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
excelsiorlef bringin' the receipts. THANK YOU. I was gonna come in here with a "9/10 bartenders is, frankly, way too low given my knowledge and the accounts I've read" but I didn't have to so instead I'm givin' some appreciation to the work.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, it happens.

Also, "not everything in life has to be comfortable" is a shitty justification when you are looking to justify making someone uncomfortable. This isn't a case of saying that "sometimes life is hard," this is about specific behavior that you are responsible for. If you are looking to sacrifice someone else's comfort or ability to feel safe in a situation for your benefit, that's a shitty thing to do.