• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Simultaneously good for Switch and pathetic for everything else.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Don't most indies sell best on the switch?

Anyway grear numbers and well deserved. Great remake.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a fun game, but I'm surprised Switch sold that many copies.
I thought this kind of game doesn't sell more than 4 digits.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch audience has been super receptive to Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. In the video above (16:18 mark), a member of the dev team confirms that the title has sold 100k on Switch, which is more than all other versions combined. Way to support the indie side of things, Switch owners! It might have something to do with Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap being an absolutely fantastic remake!

Well deserved. It's a great game. If you like Metroidvanias, you should check it out.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Considering it came out early enough in the Switch's lifetime and around the time most would've beaten BotW (I actually think this is the second game I bought for the Switch), it makes sense.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering it came out early enough in the Switch's lifetime and around the time most would've beaten BotW (I actually think this is the second game I bought), it makes sense.

It's back in the eShop charts right now(it's on sale), it's not just release timing.

OP
OP
Jonneh

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Image and Form also say SteamWorld Dig 2 has sold 10x as many copies on Switch than Steam directly following the Wonder Boy claim.
Edit: looks like I was beaten to that!

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to have some numbers...otherwise we would have the usual crowd downplay that the Switch version is the best selling version.
Hope it keeps selling.

Depressing ? 100k for such a title on just one platform is amazing.
Good for switch, but less than 200k for all platforms combined ain't great

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
At some point Nintendo has to deal with the discovery problem every big digital market place experiences.

Oct 30, 2017
Yet to pick up Steamworld Dig 2
I originally played it on the Playstation (the first one and loved it)

I haven't even considered buying it off Steam/Console store though

Switch or Bust

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oversaturation has caused this problem on steam you just can't find these types of games.

I only new this existed because I looked on the eshop, never seen it on steam or psn

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Didn't even realize this was out on PSN.

I did buy it on the eShop though because it was on sale the past week. I imagine sales will only go up the more it goes on sale on other platforms.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
100.000 is a really good result on a single platform for an indie game. Keep in mind that on digital stores games tend to have a longer life. If they sold 100.000 copies at full price the game will keep selling (thanks to WOM) and future discounts will help too.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't saying it was purely because of its timing, but it most certainly helped.

Awesome game btw and well deserved.

True, the game clearly resonates with the Switch audience though. There's a lot of games on sale on the eShop but none have shot back up like Wonder Boy.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oversaturation has caused this problem on steam you just can't find these types of games.

I only new this existed because I looked on the eshop, never seen it on steam or psn

Well, it also released like 2 months later on PC, that probably didn't help it there.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder Boy reaching over 100k sales on all platforms is a pretty good result for an indie/passion project.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty incredible, but it's a bit of a failure on other platforms at this point basically. On Steam, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 quality indie games seem to have a hard time emerging between the shower of indie games saturating the market. There's the occasional Cuphead or Undertale that also gets massive media and Youtube coverage, but if you don't get noticed right away for some very specific element (visual style, soundtrack, etc.) you likely end up selling barely anything at all. In comes the Switch that has a lot of units sold to people who obviously have money to buy a console at launch, the library is still not filled with 2000 similar indie titles, and the well-liked ones are selling as people are trying to find the next big thing to play on their new console, given there hasn't been that much in term of triple-A games yet. It all adds up in the end.

The Giant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great sales for a awesome game. Felt good to finally beat the game after 25 years since i last played it.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I might look in to it but that is an awful title IMO...
It's a remake of this
Wonder_Boy_III_-_The_Dragon%27s_Trap_boxart.jpg

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So the game has sold under 200k but probably over 150k (extrapolating here, since I don't think XBO and PS4 sold less that steam together).

That's nice enough for a relatively small title that will probably still sell during sales.
And it's really fantastic to finally have a number for a title to compare things. Even if rough, it would be fantastic if we could guess if games like Thimbleweed Park are over or under 100k.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
How has this ranked on eshop when it released?

And Steamworld dig did 300,000? Anyone have an idea how long that hung in the top 5 of the eshop?
These are both digital only I assume?

Either way, this adds more evidence to my claim that games can sell good numbers on the eshop based on ranking.

Yes....for some this was a controversial statement. I've no idea.

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorites this year, played the game through on all difficulty levels. I recommend it to every oldschool Zelda and Mega Man fan! Wasn't there a physical version coming for the Switch next year too?

OP
OP
Jonneh

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
A game of this scale selling <300k on other platforms is by no means a bad thing. I don't believe we have PS4 or Xbox One numbers but it's great to see the developers have found major success.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
How has this ranked on eshop when it released?

And Steamworld dig did 300,000? Anyone have an idea how long that hung in the top 5 of the eshop?
These are both digital only I assume?

Either way, this adds more evidence to my claim that games can sell good numbers on the eshop based on ranking.

Yes....for some this was a controversial statement. I've no idea.

The next question is if Golf Story surpassed SWD2 sales numbers considering how it overtook it very quickly on eShop rankings.