• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Only Wonder Boy and Wonder Boy in Monster Land have japanese art. Wonder Boy in Monster World and Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap were never released in japan on the Master System. Japan had to wait until the Game Gear port of The Dragon's Trap to play it.

I actually love the art for Wonder Boy in Monster Land on the master system. Tom Tom looks like a serial killer on the box art:

220px-Monster_Land_for_the_Master_System_cover_artwork.jpg

The Sega Master System was the second console my father bought me when I was a child. This was my first game i owned on that system, of course many others but I have so many memories tied to this game. I am so happy to know that this series is still getting attention. It's with big impatience that I await the new game Monster Boy for PC coming out next month.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. I agree with most of it, though I don't think Wonder Boy in Monster World is one of the better games in the series. It's the only one not directed by Nishizawa and it shows. The feel of the jumping and combat is not as good and it felt dumbed down a little to me.

I am really impressed with what a good sequel Monster Boy is. It may not feel completely authentic (it wouldn't pass for something made by the original staff), but it's dripping with nostalgia call backs to the original games, and most importantly it's a damn good game on it's own merits with some really great and elaborate level design. It's not just for fans of the series, it's an actually great game.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap was so well received, it's one of the very, very few Sega Master System games to have received media coverage in the US back in the day. For a while, it was all over magazine pages. The only other SMS game that ever had as much of a media push in the US, was phantasy star.

Not conincidentally, Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy III are widely considered the two best games on the system.
While the quality was certainly there, I think WB3's coverage in American magazines compared to many other SMS games was partly good timing. In that generation prior to 1989, there weren't many magazines outside of Nintendo Power covering console games. Video Games & Computer Entertainment started in December 1988, EGM only had their first buyer's guide, and Gamepro and Game Players didn't exist yet. And post-WB3, magazines were focused more on 16-bit releases.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox 360 and PS3 saw the release of the Wonder Boy Vintage Collection, which includes a port of Wonder Boy in Monster World for the Genesis, the first ever english-world release of the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and the english version of Monster World IV. This is actually a stripped down release of the Monster World Complete Collection on the PS2, which was a Sega Ages release. Despite being cut down, it's still an awesome collection, because it features lots of great extras, just like a Sega Ages release:

Note that, for people with an Xbox One, the Wonder Boy Vintage Collection is backwards compatible.

The PS4, Xbox One, and PC both saw the release of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake a couple of years back. The remake of The Dragon's Trap includes brand new art, but also includes the ability to switch back to the original art by pressing a button:

It also includes a new character: Wonder Girl. My only gripe (personally) is that the remake removes the Charm Points system from the original Dragon's Trap, but that was always a contentious system.

Monster Boy will release on PC in a few weeks, but it's available on PS4 and Xbox One right now.

There are no real ports of the original Wonder Boy available, although there is a really crappy remake called "Wonder Boy Returns" on steam which didn't get mentioned in this topic for a specific reason. The closest you'd get is New Adventure Island on PSN, but that's only playable on the PS3 or PSP/Vita.

So, for the most part, all the best games are available to you. Note that both Dragon's Trap Remake and Monster Boy have physical PS4 and Nintendo Switch releases.

Additionally, the entire series, including many of the Turbo Grafx versions, are available on the Wii and WiiU through the shop.

Appreciate the thoroughness! Thank you.

I've still got an Xbox 360 (and a PS4), and I've been thinking about getting a PS3/Vita.

So if I get this:

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/...r-World/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b72#

It includes Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World, and Monster World IV.

And if I get the Dragon's Trap remake, and Monster Boy.

That leaves out the original Wonder Boy and Wonder Boy III: Monster's Lair. Worth tracking down for someone whose interest just happened to have been piqued by your thread?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Great write up mate. Got me.more interested in playing the rest od the series.

1 thing it reminded me.of is that there was a fan remake.of dragon's trap but i cannot find it online anywhere, do u happen to have it and could share it?

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Boy 1 on the SMS is done. Overall, for an early platformer, I was impressed.

One thing that I liked were the collision on the platforms. Some of these early games have some pretty janky platforms where you swear you landed the jump but fell through due to a misleading platform or a glitch. The platforms in Wonder Boy are clear and generous. Heck, there were a couple times where I messed up my jump slightly and didn't quite make the jump, but it moved me up to the platform anyway. Speaking of that, the enemy's hitboxes are pretty generous as well. Usually you can go a couple pixels in before you get hit which is nice.

An interesting thing that's missing here that is usually in these games is a timer to push you to finish the level in a decent time. Instead of a timer, you have a vitality bar that drains over time, but can be replenished by picking up food throughout the level. The food is almost always generous enough that it's a non-issue. However, I would argue it's straight up better than a timer for a couple reasons. One, it adds another layer of incentive for picking up the crap littered along the level other than just points and the occasional level up. Two, it allows obstacles to interfere with your vitality that feels more natural that timer manipulation sometimes. There are rocks in the level that drain your vitality if you run into them and there is a special egg (eggs give drops ranging from an invincibility angel, axes, food, ect.) that spawns what seems to be a little grim reaper that follows you around for a period of time, draining your vitality, and really pushes you to rush through the level.

The controls feel good and snappy. There is a bit of acceleration when you start moving that ends when you quickly hit top speed. Which makes harder jumps kinda tricky when you are playing careful and really makes you want to keep moving fast to keep momentum. Of course this makes you at risk of playing careless and running into something, but it feels good when you pull it off. Speaking of playing fast, the skateboard that you occasionally find is wild. You can't stop, you can only slow down or go real fast. You can get hit once without dying when on a skateboard so some of the risk is mitigated. However, when you get hit there is a little animation where you fly uncontrollably through the air and there were a couple times where I flew straight into another enemy or into a pit haha. It's fun though, I used to kinda dread getting the skateboard but once I got used to it, it was pretty satisfying.

Your character has a weapon, which are stone axes. You don't start with them, but you can find them mostly in eggs. When you get one, you keep it until you die. Occasionally, you get it right at the beginning of a level or checkpoint. But sometimes you have to go awhile without one. They are dang good and definitely make life easier. You can really chuck them far, throw two on screen at a time, and can even hit enemies off screen a little ways. They add an interesting feel to a game where once you get them, you really feel pressured to stay alive. There are a few stages that I blew through because I had them that would have been very tough to get through without. And it happened a few times where I had finished a level without the axes and the next one was filled to the brim with enemies that I just had to dodge. It's a neat reward for playing well.

One thing I really didn't like is the lack of variety in music. The same song that you will here 75% of the game is pretty meh and occasionally got on my nerves. It really would have helped if they took the song you hear in the bonus areas (which IMO is one of the only good songs in the game) and played it in the dungeon areas as well.

Some moving platforms were pretty odd in their spawn time as well that got me killed a few times which was irritating. The platforms would spawn when you got to a certain position on the screen and if you were running by the time you made it to where you need to jump there would just be no way to make it and you were screwed. Maybe it's the game just telling to play it slow, but it's just real hard to be able to react to those situations in time.

Welp that's about it. A small thing that I brought up in a previous post was the lack of tilesets. While they are sparce, they did get better midway through the game and it's fine at that point. The game was a good time. As much as I want to hit the second game next, I'm probably going to play New Adventure Island next just to see how much was changed in the remake. I might try getting all the dolls if that's a thing in the remake. In the version I played, there is a 10th area that I missed because you got to collect the doll in every area in order to access it apparently. If you don't, the game ends at the end of the 9th area. I think I read that the ending is the same in either case, so I might just do the same thing. We will see how ambitious I am haha. Anyway, the damsel in distress is saved.

ckglNG2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great write up mate. Got me.more interested in playing the rest od the series.

1 thing it reminded me.of is that there was a fan remake.of dragon's trap but i cannot find it online anywhere, do u happen to have it and could share it?

I know exactly what you are talking about, it was a PC remake from around 2010-ish. Unfortunately, the dude's website looks like it's gone and not archived on the internet time machine. It looks like it eventually switched to the GBA and there it died:

There used to be a bunch of really great Wonder Boy fan projects and web sites with all sorts of art that are now completely dead thanks to things like Geocities vanishing.

EDIT: Found it:

http://www.geocities.ws/logbomb/newdt.html

eJ46VbW.jpg

N9w7Yrw.jpg

EDIT: Found a mirror hosted here of the last version for PC, from about 2008: https://www.classic-retro-games.com/games/platform/wonderboy-iii-the-dragons-trap-337

Seems like it doesn't run under windows 10, but I have a Windows XP, Windows 98, and Windows 95 build available to me, so I'll set aside some time and try it out. I remember this was actually a really good fangame.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Inside my Wonder Boy III Sega Master System case, behind the manual, I've kept this book inside since the early 90's:

DuArHAKUcAA01eB.jpg:large

It's my password book. This is almost 20 years old. The pages are so brittle and fragile today. LOL at my little kid handwriting and spelling. The coolest thing is, when The Dragon's Trap remake came out, these passwords worked with the remake.
I find this very endearing.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy really just made me wish Sega had continued the series on Saturn back in the 90s.

Better late than never.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I know exactly what you are talking about, it was a PC remake from around 2010-ish. Unfortunately, the dude's website looks like it's gone and not archived on the internet time machine. It looks like it eventually switched to the GBA and there it died:

There used to be a bunch of really great Wonder Boy fan projects and web sites with all sorts of art that are now completely dead thanks to things like Geocities vanishing.

EDIT: Found it:

http://www.geocities.ws/logbomb/newdt.html

eJ46VbW.jpg

N9w7Yrw.jpg

EDIT: Found a mirror hosted here of the last version for PC, from about 2008: https://www.classic-retro-games.com/games/platform/wonderboy-iii-the-dragons-trap-337

Seems like it doesn't run under windows 10, but I have a Windows XP, Windows 98, and Windows 95 build available to me, so I'll set aside some time and try it out. I remember this was actually a really good fangame.

Oh thanks dude ill tey that when i get home.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
New Adventure Island is quite different for sure. Presentation is great, along with much of what Hudson was doing at the time. I think the movement is much worse though. Feels very... jerky?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder Boy 1 on the SMS is done. Overall, for an early platformer, I was impressed.

One thing that I liked were the collision on the platforms. Some of these early games have some pretty janky platforms where you swear you landed the jump but fell through due to a misleading platform or a glitch. The platforms in Wonder Boy are clear and generous. Heck, there were a couple times where I messed up my jump slightly and didn't quite make the jump, but it moved me up to the platform anyway. Speaking of that, the enemy's hitboxes are pretty generous as well. Usually you can go a couple pixels in before you get hit which is nice.

An interesting thing that's missing here that is usually in these games is a timer to push you to finish the level in a decent time. Instead of a timer, you have a vitality bar that drains over time, but can be replenished by picking up food throughout the level. The food is almost always generous enough that it's a non-issue. However, I would argue it's straight up better than a timer for a couple reasons. One, it adds another layer of incentive for picking up the crap littered along the level other than just points and the occasional level up. Two, it allows obstacles to interfere with your vitality that feels more natural that timer manipulation sometimes. There are rocks in the level that drain your vitality if you run into them and there is a special egg (eggs give drops ranging from an invincibility angel, axes, food, ect.) that spawns what seems to be a little grim reaper that follows you around for a period of time, draining your vitality, and really pushes you to rush through the level.

The controls feel good and snappy. There is a bit of acceleration when you start moving that ends when you quickly hit top speed. Which makes harder jumps kinda tricky when you are playing careful and really makes you want to keep moving fast to keep momentum. Of course this makes you at risk of playing careless and running into something, but it feels good when you pull it off. Speaking of playing fast, the skateboard that you occasionally find is wild. You can't stop, you can only slow down or go real fast. You can get hit once without dying when on a skateboard so some of the risk is mitigated. However, when you get hit there is a little animation where you fly uncontrollably through the air and there were a couple times where I flew straight into another enemy or into a pit haha. It's fun though, I used to kinda dread getting the skateboard but once I got used to it, it was pretty satisfying.

Your character has a weapon, which are stone axes. You don't start with them, but you can find them mostly in eggs. When you get one, you keep it until you die. Occasionally, you get it right at the beginning of a level or checkpoint. But sometimes you have to go awhile without one. They are dang good and definitely make life easier. You can really chuck them far, throw two on screen at a time, and can even hit enemies off screen a little ways. They add an interesting feel to a game where once you get them, you really feel pressured to stay alive. There are a few stages that I blew through because I had them that would have been very tough to get through without. And it happened a few times where I had finished a level without the axes and the next one was filled to the brim with enemies that I just had to dodge. It's a neat reward for playing well.

One thing I really didn't like is the lack of variety in music. The same song that you will here 75% of the game is pretty meh and occasionally got on my nerves. It really would have helped if they took the song you hear in the bonus areas (which IMO is one of the only good songs in the game) and played it in the dungeon areas as well.

Some moving platforms were pretty odd in their spawn time as well that got me killed a few times which was irritating. The platforms would spawn when you got to a certain position on the screen and if you were running by the time you made it to where you need to jump there would just be no way to make it and you were screwed. Maybe it's the game just telling to play it slow, but it's just real hard to be able to react to those situations in time.

Welp that's about it. A small thing that I brought up in a previous post was the lack of tilesets. While they are sparce, they did get better midway through the game and it's fine at that point. The game was a good time. As much as I want to hit the second game next, I'm probably going to play New Adventure Island next just to see how much was changed in the remake. I might try getting all the dolls if that's a thing in the remake. In the version I played, there is a 10th area that I missed because you got to collect the doll in every area in order to access it apparently. If you don't, the game ends at the end of the 9th area. I think I read that the ending is the same in either case, so I might just do the same thing. We will see how ambitious I am haha. Anyway, the damsel in distress is saved.
CvJvInn.png

If you expect any really great change ups from New Adventure Island, you might be disappointed. It is, virtually, identical in gameplay to Wonder Boy. It's not an evolution, it's just more of the same, except really well done. So, better, bigger graphics, better music, slightly more fair level design, that sort of thing. It's really a remake of the first game in spirit, so it sticks to what the first game did and nothing else.

Actually, the other Adventure Island games did further evolve the formula. I've played them all, too. Adventure Island II, for example, adds in ridable animals, ala Donkey Kong Country or Kirby's Dreamland 2. These animals have special powers, like the ability to breath fire or things of that sort. They kind of replace the skate board.

It's Adventure Island IV that is the most drastic change for the series. Adventure Island IV is a metroidvania quite like the Wonder Boy in Monster World style games. It still is not quite a clone of the Wonder Boy games, it's definitely an extension of Hudson's Adventure Island series, but it features non linear gameplay and permanent power ups and stats and stuff. Just, not quite in the same exact way as the later Wonder Boy games did them. It's worth playing, especially if you become a fan of the later Wonder Boy games.

There is also Super Adventure Island II, which is the only other Adventure Island game to take on the Wonder Boy in Monster World style of gameplay. It's also non-linear, but it's closer to Zelda II than Wonder Boy in Monster World. You have an overhead map and stuff. It's also a really great game, though. The game begins with classic Adventure Island gameplay -- opening eggs, throwing hatchets, wearing a grass skirt and such, but it slowly opens up to swords and armor and hearts for health and all that good stuff.

161787-super-adventure-island-ii-snes-screenshot-volcano-level.png

None of these games quite reach the same heights as the Westone games, though, although I'll fully admit I think New Adventure Island is a better game than the first Wonder Boy. Despite being a remake, it's not at all 1:1, so it features entirely different level layouts, so it's sort of hard to judge completely, but if I crave that style of gameplay, I find myself going back to that game above all other Adventure Island games.

New Adventure Island is quite different for sure. Presentation is great, along with much of what Hudson was doing at the time. I think the movement is much worse though. Feels very... jerky?

I find few games from other game makers who nail the physics of their platformers like Westone did. It's something hard to describe in text, but their games, much like Mario games, just seem to have the perfect weight and responsiveness. Their games all sort of tweak the formula -- Dragon's Trap is definitely the loosest game in terms of control while you are heaviest in Wonder Boy in Monster World, and which you prefer will be up to preference -- but none of the games control poorly. But yes, the hudson made games tend to be more fidgety than Westone's games.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
If you expect any really great change ups from New Adventure Island, you might be disappointed. It is, virtually, identical in gameplay to Wonder Boy. It's not an evolution, it's just more of the same, except really well done. So, better, bigger graphics, better music, slightly more fair level design, that sort of thing. It's really a remake of the first game in spirit, so it sticks to what the first game did and nothing else.

Actually, the other Adventure Island games did further evolve the formula. I've played them all, too. Adventure Island II, for example, adds in ridable animals, ala Donkey Kong Country or Kirby's Dreamland 2. These animals have special powers, like the ability to breath fire or things of that sort. They kind of replace the skate board.

It's Adventure Island IV that is the most drastic change for the series. Adventure Island IV is a metroidvania quite like the Wonder Boy in Monster World style games. It still is not quite a clone of the Wonder Boy games, it's definitely an extension of Hudson's Adventure Island series, but it features non linear gameplay and permanent power ups and stats and stuff. Just, not quite in the same exact way as the later Wonder Boy games did them. It's worth playing, especially if you become a fan of the later Wonder Boy games.

There is also Super Adventure Island II, which is the only other Adventure Island game to take on the Wonder Boy in Monster World style of gameplay. It's also non-linear, but it's closer to Zelda II than Wonder Boy in Monster World. You have an overhead map and stuff. It's also a really great game, though. The game begins with classic Adventure Island gameplay -- opening eggs, throwing hatchets, wearing a grass skirt and such, but it slowly opens up to swords and armor and hearts for health and all that good stuff.

161787-super-adventure-island-ii-snes-screenshot-volcano-level.png

None of these games quite reach the same heights as the Westone games, though, although I'll fully admit I think New Adventure Island is a better game than the first Wonder Boy. Despite being a remake, it's not at all 1:1, so it features entirely different level layouts, so it's sort of hard to judge completely, but if I crave that style of gameplay, I find myself going back to that game above all other Adventure Island games.

I find few games from other game makers who nail the physics of their platformers like Westone did. It's something hard to describe in text, but their games, much like Mario games, just seem to have the perfect weight and responsiveness. Their games all sort of tweak the formula -- Dragon's Trap is definitely the loosest game in terms of control while you are heaviest in Wonder Boy in Monster World, and which you prefer will be up to preference -- but none of the games control poorly. But yes, the hudson made games tend to be more fidgety than Westone's games.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with how New Adventure Island is more of the same. I'm finding a big enough difference that I definitely think it is worth my time going through it. Presentation aside, I don't think it's necessarily the better game either. I'm going to reserve further comments about it though until I'm done. I've done a big enough write up on the first game today already anyway haha.

As for the rest of the Hudson line of things. I'm definitely interested and I might continue with the rest of the series later after I finish Westone's side. Thanks for the information about it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to have to disagree with how New Adventure Island is more of the same. I'm finding a big enough difference that I definitely think it is worth my time going through it. Presentation aside, I don't think it's necessarily the better game either. I'm going to reserve further comments about it though until I'm done. I've done a big enough write up on the first game today already anyway haha.

As for the rest of the Hudson line of things. I'm definitely interested and I might continue with the rest of the series later after I finish Westone's side. Thanks for the information about it.

Different strokes. I much prefer the larger weapon selection variety in New Adventure Island, but compared to Adventure Island 2 and 3, it's a return to the original formula. Those games change things up much more than New Adventure Island. I think that's even what the name is supposed to refer to -- a new version of the original.

Regarding your complaint about music in Wonder Boy: that is the only game in the series where the soundtrack isn't a major strength. The rest of the games in the series have exceptional soundtracks for their time. They are super catchy and will have multiple songs stuck in your head. The way the series keeps revisiting and remixing certain tunes just sort of drives them into your head. I honestly think the Wonder Boy series has one of the best long running soundtracks in all of gaming. I can listen to random music from the rest of the games in the series endlessly.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Different strokes. I much prefer the larger weapon selection variety in New Adventure Island, but compared to Adventure Island 2 and 3, it's a return to the original formula. Those games change things up much more than New Adventure Island. I think that's even what the name is supposed to refer to -- a new version of the original.

Regarding your complaint about music in Wonder Boy: that is the only game in the series where the soundtrack isn't a major strength. The rest of the games in the series have exceptional soundtracks for their time. They are super catchy and will have multiple songs stuck in your head. The way the series keeps revisiting and remixing certain tunes just sort of drives them into your head. I honestly think the Wonder Boy series has one of the best long running soundtracks in all of gaming. I can listen to random music from the rest of the games in the series endlessly.

Oh no doubt the weapon variety is great in New Adventure Island. When I said that the game is not necessarily better, I'm not saying that the game is worse per say. So far I see the two games having different goals. Wonder Boy I see as having a strong focus on platforming with it's solid physics and all opportunities for platforming in the game. It's more simple, but I feel like it really does what it does well. New Adventure Island on the other hand has more of a combat focus. It's got the multiple weapons that are good in different situations that change the way a level is played compared to if you had a different weapon. The bosses are way more interesting and so far have changed between every single boss. So far there is less platforming in it and that's ok.

Good to hear about the music in the future games. What you posted in the OP was really good. Though I'm listening to as little as possible. I rather hear it when it comes up in the games haha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no doubt the weapon variety is great in New Adventure Island. When I said that the game is not necessarily better, I'm not saying that the game is worse per say. So far I see the two games having different goals. Wonder Boy I see as having a strong focus on platforming with it's solid physics and all opportunities for platforming in the game. It's more simple, but I feel like it really does what it does well. New Adventure Island on the other hand has more of a combat focus. It's got the multiple weapons that are good in different situations that change the way a level is played compared to if you had a different weapon. The bosses are way more interesting and so far have changed between every single boss. So far there is less platforming in it and that's ok.

I actually don't use my weapons too much in new adventure island. I feel the enemies patterns are jumping puzzles, and therein lies the platforming. When it plays well, it's almost like a rhythm game. I like the weapons in New Adventure Island, because there are a few that are really powerful that I can use if I screw up my timing to get out of a jam, essentially.

Again, the later Adventure Island games shifted the focus far more onto combat and away from platforming. Riding animals would typically slow you down, so it became a slower, more methodical platformer. And they added mario-world style maps and the ability to select and replay stages, and inventories where you could save offensive weapons. It basically became a much more bog standard NES action game series, than something that concentrated on running and jumping like mario 1 and wonder boy did.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Thanks for this thread! Really enjoyed it.

I am eagerly waiting for my Monster Boy copy to reach european shores (hopefully today) :)

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't use my weapons too much in new adventure island. I feel the enemies patterns are jumping puzzles, and therein lies the platforming. When it plays well, it's almost like a rhythm game. I like the weapons in New Adventure Island, because there are a few that are really powerful that I can use if I screw up my timing to get out of a jam, essentially.

Again, the later Adventure Island games shifted the focus far more onto combat and away from platforming. Riding animals would typically slow you down, so it became a slower, more methodical platformer. And they added mario-world style maps and the ability to select and replay stages, and inventories where you could save offensive weapons. It basically became a much more bog standard NES action game series, than something that concentrated on running and jumping like mario 1 and wonder boy did.

Our play styles differ in this game then haha. I personally enjoy New Adventure Island more when I'm blowing everything up and Wonder Boy more when I am routing paths.

From what you have described earlier, I'm anticipating the game play shift in the sequels and I'm cool with that. It looks like both Hudson's games and Westone's games change it up quite a bit and I think that's fun. I'm not adverse to any major gameplay changes as I like to look at each game in it's own space before comparing it to others.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I adored the original arcade game (even though I had very few opportunities to play it) but I haven't actually played any of the other games in the series. Added the new game to my list of stuff to pick up when it's on sale (not a sleight on the game, I just don't buy games any more unless I'm going to play them immediately or they get a good price drop).

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I look forward to playing Monster Boy in 2019 when it releases on PC :V

Re-read the thread at home and really liked all your insights. Great job again on the write up.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
New Adventure Island is done!

First off I gotta say that Hudson did great with presenting each stage. In the first game, each area is split into 4 stages with the boss at stage 4 and that trend continues here. However, each area has kind of a theme to it and it all looks great. The art style is very colorful, cartoony, and comical. The soundtrack was great too and has a very lively feel that matches the art. Overall it's just a fun, lighthearted, and cozy game to play and I really liked that. At the end of Wonder Boy, I was feeling pretty fatigued and kinda ready for it to end. I didn't feel that way here and I think the presentation was a big part of that (New Adventure Island is also a much shorter game, 25 stages vs. 36 stages without the bonus stages in Wonder Boy). Here is a song I really liked from the game:

Some of what I was going to say about the gameplay was already mentioned in my discussions with Krejlooc, so this is just in addition to what was said. New Adventure Island feels a lot more grounded and the jumps less complex. This is a good thing. As I mentioned earlier, movement is a bit off. As you are changing speed, there are times you will quickly accelerate or decelerate which gives the game kind of a feeling like it's jerking you around. It does this in midair too with your jumps. I feel more inclined to sprint and keep my momentum in this game, not because of some aggressive play vs careful play thing, but because I feel like it's hard to predict and control my jumps when I slow down and am changing speed. There have been jumps I've missed because I suddenly decelerate or enemies I've hit because I've suddenly lurched forward. This is my biggest knock against the game.

The combat is much more interesting as you can find four different kinds of weapons: axes, arrows(?), fireballs, and boomerangs. All of these weapons have different trajectories, do different amounts of damage, and sometimes hit different things. Axes and arrows as an example cannot hit rocks and boulders, but fireballs and boomerangs can. Depending on the weapon you have at the time, how you approach a level might change and that's pretty cool. Compared to Wonder Boy, the bosses are much improves even if they are still simplistic. In Wonder Boy they pretty much charge at you and when they get halfway through the screen they throw either a fireball or a lightning bolt depending on the boss. For half the game I didn't even know they had an attack as I killed them before they got to the point where they could attack. In New Adventure Island, every boss has it's own unique attack and throws it pretty early. They usually only have one attack though so once you know how it works it's a non-issue.

Wonder Boy had a few "gotcha" moments with enemies in front of you where you probably would never be able to dodge the attack unless you saw it coming. I think New Adventure Island has less of that all around, but the ones it really does have is some gotcha moments from the back. There is a mouse enemy that runs much faster than you that comes from behind you. Unless you are in a full sprint, you probably have half a second to dodge him and you are probably going to take the hit. I might have not mentioned this if it wasn't for two specific instances in area 3-3 (I think it was that one anyway) where that enemy also jumped when it got close to you. To my understanding, in this case there is no possible way to actually avoid this enemy. You have to turn around and hit it in an incredibly small amount of time to the point that even seeing it coming I could not hit it in time. I had to go right around where it spawned and slowly inch forward with each movement involving me turning around and throwing something in order to hit it all the time. This instance ticked me off a bit.

Despite my two main marks against it, I had a lot of fun with the game and think it's completely worth playing and definitely was worth going to after going through Wonder Boy. I really do think they are really two different experiences despite the core gameplay being about the same. Due to the differences in vision IMO, it's hard to say which game is straight up better. But I do think New Adventure Island is the more "fun" game to play. Anyway, once again, the damsel is saved. Yay.

7GhY83h.png

Onward to Wonder Boy in Monster Land!

Last edited:

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I missed the bit where you mentioned you have only one life... This game sure is going to be something, huh? Haha.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Still have the arcade PCB of Wonderboy.

Probably one of my favorite games as kid growing up in the 80s. I prefer it to the sequels although they're good games too. Wonderboy original arcade version holds a special place in my heart. Me and my friends played the hell out of the arcade version.

The console versions are not good enough and the Master System one is quite poor even though I do like the SMS version of Double Dragon.

Games like Wonderboy, Bomb Jack and Bubble Bobble took the most money in the arcade and other sites my dad had always asked for these games back (sites are pubs, clubs, newsagents etc). Evergreen classics and the sounds of these three games are ingrained into my brain.

Has West One Wonderboy III password been mentioned :)

Last edited:

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Excellent thread. Tons of songs from Wonderboy in Monster World are nostalgia bombs for me and come to mind at the weirdest of times. It's just what fantasy games sound to me.

Monster World IV is also one of my favorite games ever made on any system. Just love it so much.

This particular song always leaves me sentimental when replaying the game.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie....I thought this was a thread about Tenacious D when I clicked. I'm a bit disappointed. Carry on.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Amazing thread! Really enjoyed reading the whole thing.

You also successfully brought my interest in these games from zero to one hundred. I'll pick up the newest one when I get the chance.

What's the best way to play the old ones now?

Edit: Nvm, I see it was answered on the last page

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
A thing I always found funny about Wonder Boy is how it basically gave birth to multiple series, Hudson Soft got the license to release this game on different systems as Adventure Island which became its own thing and Wonder Boy's sequel became Monster World(also the thid game was called "Adventure Island" in the japanese PC-Engine variant but is unrelated to the game known as Adventure Island in the west).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me of seeing a WB3 TV commercial back in the day. If you're American/Canadian and old, you might remember it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kientin did you ever have a chance to check out Wonder Boy in Monster Land? I'm really enjoying your detailed write ups coming in blind to the series. Been hoping for a Monster Land update for a few days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me of seeing a WB3 TV commercial back in the day. If you're American/Canadian and old, you might remember it.

This is exactly the type of stuff I meant when I said Wonder Boy III got a huge media push. It was very rare for SMS games to get commercials, where, on the NES, even stuff like crappy WWF games got commercials. If you saw an SMS game with a commercial, it gave you this impression that the game was something very special.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My first and only wonder boy game was wonder boy in monster world that I downloaded off the Wii virtual Consol. I loved it. I honestly couldn't tell you why I haven't tried more games in the series.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Kientin did you ever have a chance to check out Wonder Boy in Monster Land? I'm really enjoying your detailed write ups coming in blind to the series. Been hoping for a Monster Land update for a few days.

Yeah I actually have been playing it on and off. I'm enjoying it. I've had to slow down a bit though as I'm wrapping up finals which will be ending tomorrow. I'll toss in some of my thoughts then.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Even after all these years, I still remember the password to start at the human with all characters unlocked in Dragons Tap.

WE5TONE followed by a bunch of 0's. It was only years later that I realised Westone were the developers.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
For fans of the Monster World kinda games, Aggelos might be up your alley. It's very clearly a Wonder Boy series inspired game, and started off as a fangame to that series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first and only wonder boy game was wonder boy in monster world that I downloaded off the Wii virtual Consol. I loved it. I honestly couldn't tell you why I haven't tried more games in the series.

I think it might be harder to go backwards from Monster World, but I could also be wrong. I like them all because I played them before the series became a metroidvania in the first place. I sorta compare Wonder Boy in Monster Land to "Classicvania" while WB3 and Monster World are "Metroidvania." I think, if you can enjoy a side scrolling action game, then you could probably enjoy the shit out of Monster Land. It's one of the best 8-bit side scrolling action games around.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Honestly I don't recall it being too metroidvania-y. I do remember some backtracking to get certain items but the backtracking wasn't too bad. I honestly don't like metroidvanias (couldn't even force myself to enjoy Hollow Knight) but I don't remember wbimw being anything like that

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banjo Guy Ollie finally posted a youtube link of Monster Boy's version of Monster Lair, this rules so freaking hard:

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Growing up the Wonderboy series were my favourite video games, I cried at the end of Dragon's Trap lol. Great thread OP!

EDIT: Wow Banjo Guy is bringing the nostalgia hard right now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple of weeks ago, I did a live playthrough of Sonic 2 on the SMS. Tonight, in about 10 minutes, I'll do a live playthrough of Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

I have never beaten that game.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
It has been awhile! Finally got through life stuff and drummed up the motivation to do this post. So I've been playing Wonder Boy in Monster Land, the sequel to Wonder Boy.

I have not beaten it yet, but I've made it to the final level. With the exception of what Krejiooc said in the OP, I've been playing it mostly blind. The only think I have spoiled for myself is how long the game is (12 levels). Each level isn't every long, which is good as I've been playing the SMS version and as Krejiooc said, you only have one life. Originally it appears that the game came out in the arcades so you could continue as long as you had the cash. As I started to play the game I was worried that they just didn't put continues in the game due to time constraints, budget, or whatever reason. As I've been playing it, it turns out that's not the case and it's pretty well balanced for one life. You get a free revival potion when you start which heals you to full when you die once. There are no insta-kill falls or traps in the game. When you get hit, you receive a solid amount of invincibility. Most enemies do not do an extreme amount of damage, and lots of it can be mitigated by buying better armor. It also helps that the game was programmed solid. Just like with Wonder Boy, Westone nails jumping here.

The biggest thing for me in this game is the resource management aspect. Your skill in the game is one thing (and very important of course), but how you plan out your run is just as important. You have three main types of equipment to purchase with boots, armor, and shields with 4 tiers available for each slot, magic to purchase, bars to visit for a bit of health regen, hospitals that offer full health regeneration, accessories that offer buffs for a limited amount of time, ect. You have a finite amount of money that you will be able to find and you will not be able to purchase everything. Shopkeepers offer different pieces of equipment depending on what you have already purchased, so order matters. Also purchase order matters just in dealing with hazards in general. For example, the first thing I end up buying is a tier 1 shield, just because having that allows you to block projectiles like arrows. What all this leads to is a system where you are constantly reevaluating how you play the game by how you currently are playing and the hazards you know you are going to come across. I might want to save up for a certain piece of armor that's coming up soon, but I've taken too much damage that run and decide to go with more healing instead. I might decide that rushing tier 2 armor might help me in the long run than buying better boots. In about the 10 runs I've done so far, I've seen significant improvements on almost every run, not just because I'm only getting better at the game, but also because I am constantly reevaluating how I'm buying things and I'm also finding new ways to get more money on runs. It has been a satisfying loop that has made replaying the game each time I lose still very enjoyable.

Two small negatives. It's way too easy to cast spells. All you need to do is press down and I keep accidentally using them. Also this final dungeon is a massive pain! Outside of that, game is pretty good. Assuming the final boss isn't a big problem, I should have it beaten before too long. There is a side quest that is done throughout the game that I figured out that rewards you one of two items of your choosing that is supposed to help you against the final boss. No clue what either of them do but I hope it's good. Anyway, here is a monkey trying to dab before he dies.

E4YoQGJ.jpg