• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NPR

Fifty years after the original Woodstock Music & Art Fair promised "three days of peace and music," one of its original organizers announced Wednesday that he is putting together Woodstock 50 for this summer. The event will be held over three days — Aug. 16-18 — on a 1,000-acre green space in Watkins Glen in upstate New York, near the Finger Lakes.

While the artist lineup will not be announced until next month, when tickets go on sale to the general public, The New York Times reported Wednesday that organizer Michael Lang is planning to book "a mixture of legacy bands, current pop and rap stars and, possibly, some news-making combinations."

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Unless its got DMX performing infront of an entire nation of people, i dont want him

Wonder what the lineup will be.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NimbleAbandonedHarlequinbug-small.gif

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Will this one be so authentic that as slice of pizza will cost you your entire life savings?

This post was sponsored by MTV.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people who are part of Young Era missed and don't know about the epic cluster fuck that was Woodstock 99.

Before Fyre Fest there was...

tumblr_od7p78XZ3X1sxm49so1_400.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Will this one be so authentic that as slice of pizza will cost you your entire life savings?

This post was sponsored by MTV.
LOL.

This was seen as a sell out thing back then, but all major music festivals are mega commercial endeavors these days. People got used to it.

However, the juxtaposition between the original and the revival was rather interesting.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get some actual quality acts that care about the artform this time around and maybe it'll be worth attending. Let's see Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, Fleet Foxes, Sufjan Stevens, etc alongside your normal big headliners and you could have a solid festival. No more fucking Limp Bizkit and Korn.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You all keep talking about Woodstock '99, but Woodstock '94, on the 25th anniversary, worked out pretty well. I still find the toxic shift in youth culture between the early '90s and late '90s to be quite jarring.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard a rumor that Def Leppard may be one of the performing artists. Considering their Canadian tour ends in July it would make sense.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
You all should temper your expectations

"
According to the flyer, Pearl Jam, Eminem, and Foo Fighters are just some of the artists being approached by the festival. The list goes on: Chance The Rapper, Pink, Lorde, The Weeknd, Coldplay, Kesha, Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, Graham Nash, Neil Young, Phish, Joan Baez, Bon Jovi, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Zac Brown Band, Florida Georgia Line, and Jason Aldean.

In the EDM realm, huge names like Daft Punk, Swedish House Mafia, deadmau5, Skrillex, Steve Aoki, and The Chainsmokers are being thrown around. This sounds ambitious alright, but if any event could pull it off it just might be Woodstock."

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
For all the attention '99 gets, Woodstock '94 was still cool.

I can't wait to watch the footage of this one, with a sea of phones held aloft by the crowd recording everything.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC

"
According to the flyer, Pearl Jam, Eminem, and Foo Fighters are just some of the artists being approached by the festival. The list goes on: Chance The Rapper, Pink, Lorde, The Weeknd, Coldplay, Kesha, Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, Demi Lovato, Ariana Grande, Graham Nash, Neil Young, Phish, Joan Baez, Bon Jovi, Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Zac Brown Band, Florida Georgia Line, and Jason Aldean.

In the EDM realm, huge names like Daft Punk, Swedish House Mafia, deadmau5, Skrillex, Steve Aoki, and The Chainsmokers are being thrown around. This sounds ambitious alright, but if any event could pull it off it just might be Woodstock."
Ew. I'd like to see Daft Punk again I guess.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the age where there are so many festivals for different regions and genres, I don't see how this can really stick out among the crowd. It will probably be the same type of lineup every other major festival has this year.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodstock 99 was the culmination of an era. Despite all the criticism it gets, Woodstock 99 was an amazing festival product of its time when no holds barred mentality , "fuck you I won't do what you tell me" and attitude era were the mainstream. If they bring it back they should do a a blend of classic rock with alternative rock and sprinkles of metal and rap here and there but I bet It will be a watered down version with current top hits artists, so expect Luis Fonsi headlining the festival with Despacito

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019

"

Those are all Pop.

Fuck this festival immediately

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
I went to 99. Saw a turd role out of a woman's daisy dukes mid stride. She never even looked back.

Pretty neat.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
As a 12-year-old kid, Green Day's set/mudfight at Woodstock 94 was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

Billie Joe Armstrong is hands down one of the best live performers out there, as every time I've been to a Green Day concert, it's always been a blast, and he will go out of his way to encore if the audience wants it, which, we always did. I remember one time he gave almost an hour long encore, and it was just an amazing time.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching Woodstock '99 on MTV as a kid and how that went to shit rapidly. Hopefully they have better security this go around.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You all keep talking about Woodstock '99, but Woodstock '94, on the 25th anniversary, worked out pretty well. I still find the toxic shift in youth culture between the early '90s and late '90s to be quite jarring.

99 was a disaster both due to toxic youth culture and the very predatory nature of the vendors and organizers.

TSSZNews

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fyre Fest aside, musical festival planning has grown leaps and bounds since '99. I don't expect bad administration or even toxicity to wreck this.

The trick is going to be actually making it a once-in-a-lifetime experience people want to go to vs. the numerous regional festivals that are popping up and easier to attend. It feels like even Coachella has lost its luster recently and I wasn't completely impressed by the Bonnaroo lineup this year, either.