• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This could become a general support thread for all work issue-related concerns, from interpersonal problems, management problems, project management strategies, or just general advice. Either way, here's my current situation, and I'd love your advice:

--

I have an awesome job. I'm really happy overall with it. Generally fantastic people, awesome, inspiring work, fulfilling stuff.
My immediate supervisor, a director, is really tough to work with. This person is totally anomalous compared to everyone else I'm working with. Everyone's an A+, super-positive contributor who's extremely happy with my work. The one person in charge of me who basically holds my fate appears to constantly be annoyed by me, and visibly unhappy with some of my work habits (on entirely subjective levels, in my opinion, but that's all that really matters when it's your boss...). What's crazy is, I was poached personally by this boss, who I'd worked with before. They wanted me. And all written reviews from this boss and their boss (my department executive) have been overwhelmingly positive. Like "so glad you're on the team! You're doing fantastic!"

It's such a bizarre back-and-forth, and frankly, it's throwing me for a total loop. I'm getting really demoralized and distracted because I don't know where I stand. I don't know if I'm reading too much into the everyday, stressed behavior of my boss, or if that's the real truth and the written accolades are just niceties that are all bullshit.

Here's the real meat of my ask to you all, though:
My first 1-on-1 'review' is coming soon. It's a great chance for feedback, open/honest discussion, etc., about me, the role (it's a brand new role that didn't exist before), and suggestions for overall improvement.

I think I need to be 'constructively' honest, and treat this as a chance to give my boss feedback too, instead of just receiving it. For the past two months, without exception, my suggestions, comments and input in any meeting (whether 1-on-1 or as part of a larger group) are derided, interrupted, or outright dismissed before I'm finished. It's causing me to second guess everything and lose confidence. I think I really need to speak up against this, and suggest that in order to develop professionally, I need to be unafraid to speak my mind more often where I have valuable insight on a project (and frankly, I know I have more than my boss on a lot, either by virtue of subject matter expertise in a sub-area of our business, or because I'm more connected to our stakeholders by the very nature of my role). I can't be put down at every turn. It's frankly doing harm to not just me, but the quality of our projects. I'm concerned about how it portrays me to other stakeholders in meetings too. I'm no 1st year junior in my career anymore who can't speak unless spoken to, and it's demoralizing to be treated as such.

How in the world do I handle this all delicately and constructively in this meeting? If it helps, my boss is truly a good person deep down. They will probably be totally shocked that their behaviour has caused me to feel this way, and will probably feel terrible. I don't want to guilt; I want to just find a way to support them better and enhance our performance overall.

(I also know this isn't just me; I get asked all the time how I 'deal', since this behavior hits others too, just less so since I'm the only direct report)

/ramble

TL;DR: I find myself a bit disrespected by my boss, who's a great person otherwise. I'm interrupted, cut off, and get my suggestions put down at every turn, despite having a ton of skill/experience. I need more trust, and need to figure out how to earn it. I think I need to be honest and bring up how this is all making me feel in a coming meeting. Good or terrible idea?

Thanks for your advice.

Oct 25, 2017
I hear you, and I've been in a very simular position. What worked for me was a series of one-on-ones, and some very specific examples. I tried the one-on-one route first and got nowhere, and perhaps even made my situation worse for a bit. However, having the one-on-ones gave me a point of reference to use with my manager. Basically, remember when I told you that you do the thing? Well, you're doing the thing right now.

I knew I was valued, but I didn't feel trusted. Now, I feel like I'm both.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
So you are in a new role that didn't exist before. Is the role well defined? And did the creation of that role get support from your supervisor, his or her peers and higher ups? If there are doubts and some are still struggling with the role itself there can be mixed signals.

Furthermore your approach of the upcoming one on one sounds professional and constructive. You want to support and strengthen your team. A good moment to hear what your supervisor needs and a good moment to say what you need. Good luck and keep faith in yourself.

Edit:typos

Last edited:

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Subscribing. Great to see a general thread this time around.

Magnus if you really think your boss is a good person and is a professional, they'll take the criticism well, in fact, some people love honest feedback when no one seems to want to give it to them. Just be sure to tell it in a way that doesn't feel like you're harbouring any negative, personal feelings towards your boss. Good luck!

OP
OP
Magnus

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. Great responses. Thought I was going to get a stream of "lol you're going to fuck yourself" posts.

I honestly think this is the right way to go and really hope it doesn't backfire. Here's hoping. I'll report back.

OP
OP
Magnus

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The 1-on-1 went very well. Great feedback went both ways. Thanks for all the advice in here, guys.