Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
World No. 1 golfer and Masters champion Scottie Scheffler was arrested and charged with a felony and other counts Friday morning outside the PGA Championship in Louisville, Kentucky, dramatically upending one of golf's major tournaments.

Scheffler was charged with second-degree assault on a police officer – a felony – along with lesser charges of third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving and disregarding signals from officers directing traffic, according to Jefferson County court records. He's been released from jail, according to the Louisville Metro Department of Corrections.

The incident began when Scheffler drove to the Valhalla Golf Club for the second round of the tournament, according to ESPN's Jeff Darlington, who witnessed and filmed the arrest.

Police presence around the entrance to the course was elevated due to the fatal accident involving a shuttle bus carrying people to the course. Louisville Metro Police Department spokesperson Dwight Mitchell said a pedestrian was killed after attempting to cross the main road leading to the course and being hit by the bus.

When Scheffler arrived, he attempted to drive around the crash scene on a median, according to ESPN, which first reported Scheffler's detention.. "A police officer instructed Scheffler to stop, but Scheffler continued to drive about 10 to 20 yards toward the entrance," ESPN said.

"Scheffler then stopped his vehicle at the entrance to Valhalla. The police officer then began to scream at Scheffler to get out of the car. When Scheffler exited the vehicle, the officer shoved Scheffler against the car and immediately placed him in handcuffs," Darlington posted on X. Scheffler was in a marked player courtesy vehicle, Darlington said on ESPN.

Video from Darlington shows police walking with Scheffler, who was in handcuffs, and placing him into a police vehicle.

"Right now he's going to jail," an officer at the scene says in the video.

PGA Championship organizers announced Friday's second round would be delayed "due to an accident near the course" and said general public shuttles to the course have resumed.

ESPN's PGA set anchor Dave Flemming called it "a championship in chaos" on air.

The best player in the world gets arrested and charged with "assault". Absolutely insane situation.

Zej

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now at the bottom (maybe via edit?):

> He declined to comment on why the golfer was charged with assault, saying he will let the case play out in court. "Scottie will cooperate fully," Raines said.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the same Louisville, KY PD that murdered Breonna Taylor? If so, yeah, overreacting seems on par for them. Just way worse for non-white/non superstar athlete folk.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Regardless, what he did was the result of feeling entitled, and he put people at the scene of an accident in danger. People who think their lives are more important so they drive out onto the shoulder are never not idiots.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the same Louisville, KY PD that murdered Breonna Taylor? If so, yeah, overreacting seems on par for them. Just way worse for non-white/non superstar athlete folk.
There's video by an ESPN reporter of the incident. Cops being assholes as usual.

View: https://x.com/JeffDarlington/status/1791428598080938492

awfulannouncing.com

ESPN's Jeff Darlington captures surreal video of Scottie Scheffler's arrest

ESPN's Jeff Darlington was live on scene as golf's top player, Scottie Scheffler, was inexplicably arrested by Louisville police.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Probably an overreaction by the cops, but it seems all too pervasive on the road these days of "I am more important than everyone else" and this is a prime example. His golfing is more important than a secure investigation scene of a traffic fatality. Wait in traffic like the rest of us and don't be a bozo.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless, what he did was the result of feeling entitled, and he put people at the scene of an accident in danger. People who think their lives are more important so they drive out onto the shoulder are never not idiots.
Other official tour cars, such as his, were allowed to pass. Nothing to do with entitlement, this all reeks of a simple misunderstanding, as Scheffler's statement suggests.

Scottie's Public Statement New
OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Probably an overreaction by the cops, but it seems all too pervasive on the road these days of "I am more important than everyone else" and this is a prime example. His golfing is more important than a secure investigation scene of a traffic fatality. Wait in traffic like the rest of us and don't be a bozo.
The PGA tour notified the competitors and told them that they were going to be allowed through. Scotty thought the officer was directing him around the scene apparently.

View: https://x.com/PGATOUR/status/1791466651117933023

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
Scottie can afford the best lawyers so good luck police

If he wins this weekend it would be insane after having to go through that

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
You can be charged with assaulting a police officer for literally taking the wrong step in a perp walk. Shit is a nonsense charge totally made up by cops on the spot.

Nov 8, 2017
GNyTSV3bgAAgpSi

That last sentence is...wow.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy story to wake up to - doing dumb cop shit to the patron saint of country club whites was certainly a choice

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this was such a tragedy for the police until I learned that $80 worth of pants were damaged beyond repair. How they'll recover from this horrific incident, I'll never know.

Well sadly they'll never need the uniform since the abrasions on their wrist and knees will keep them from ever returning to work.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The PGA tour notified the competitors and told them that they were going to be allowed through. Scotty thought the officer was directing him around the scene apparently.
The PGA tour cannot make decisions like that and players should know that, he tried to drive around a crash scene without permission and didn't stop when he was told to stop. I don't believe that it was a misunderstanding because there were no instructions to drive around the crash and being told or gestured to stop is kinda hard to interpret as "keep driving". This was a mix of entitlement and stupidity on his part.

Of course the cop completely overreacted, if he was hurt because he "attached himself" to a driving car and fell that's not assault that's being an idiot. If someone drives were they are not supposed to drive you don't try to stop the car with your hands, you let them drive, write down the license plate and give them a ticket later.

Everyone in this story is stupid but the cop is an asshole on top of it so I'm still on the players side. He probably deserved a ticket but that should have been the end of it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Some context that's missing is that a pedestrian was hit and killed by a vehicle (a tour bus or something) earlier that morning and Scheffler was driving through the investigation scene.

Scheffler should have followed directions but "attaching" yourself to a moving vehicle is moronic.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The PGA tour cannot make decisions like that and players should know that, he tried to drive around a crash scene without permission and didn't stop when he was told to stop. I don't believe that it was a misunderstanding because there were no instructions to drive around the crash and being told or gestured to stop is kinda hard to interpret as "keep driving". This was a mix of entitlement and stupidity on his part.

Of course the cop completely overreacted, if he was hurt because he "attached himself" to a driving car and fell that's not assault that's being an idiot. If someone drives were they are not supposed to drive you don't try to stop the car with your hands, you let them drive, write down the license plate and give them a ticket later.

Everyone in this story is stupid but the cop is an asshole on top of it so I'm still on the players side. He probably deserved a ticket but that should have been the end of it.
The PGA Tour can 100% make decisions like that if they just coordinate with the local police. The police could have told them the players would be let through and then the PGA passed that along. I could also easily see a situation where a feature towards the side of the road one way or another could be interpreted as "go around". Especially in a stressful situation like that.

We will find out soon enough though I guess.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

But weren't all the other PGA vehicles let through?

Also every time cops stop me I have a hard time telling wtf they want me to do lol, so I can empathize