• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
As the mainstream media applauds England for not embarrassing themselves at a major tournament for the first time in years, this video emerges:

https://streamja.com/A5jr

A close up of the England players:
https://i.imgur.com/oy0eBzI.gifv
Spoiler: it's Rashford and Lingard

Even if we were 100% sure this was legal, Lingard's pass put Rashford offside lol.

What makes this extra funny is that Panama tried to do the same thing against England and were thoroughly mocked for it...

video:
https://streamable.com/ayhq4

Reddit /r/soccer thread on the Panama incident
Typical comments from that thread:
"Makes me wonder if they are really professional footballers :("

"do they not know the rules"

"You can't CONCACAF your way out of this one, Panama."​

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that was kinda hilarious.

Made them look like a debutant that doesn't quite know the rules yet.

Last edited:

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fault them that much. They were still in shock after the goal and there wasn't that much time left.

What's even funnier is that even if the kick-off would have been somehow valid the very next pass puts the player in offside, as CM_Ace pointed out in the wc thread.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Was there a sudden whistle or go from the referee or something? Why did they think they could suddenly attempt that with no one from Croatia there?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Some people think that players out of bounds count as players in their own half of the field. They don't
'Their own half' meaning Croatia's half right? I guess so since if they counted as all being on England's half then it wouldn't be offside like some are saying.

OP
OP
xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
The rules:
  • after a team scores a goal, the kick-off is taken by their opponents
  • all players, except the player taking the kick off, must be in their own half of the field of play
  • the opponents of the team taking the kick-off must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
  • the ball must be stationary on the centre mark
  • the referee gives a signal
  • the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Croatian football jersey sales are going to sky-rocket in Scotland.

In all seriousness, England fans should be happy their team got to a semi since 1990. Croatia were the better team but England did really well this tournament compared to their last Euros and WC appearances. Stay classy England fans and just be content.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My understanding is that you can't kick off if any of the other team's players are in your half. However, if all of the players are off the field, you are entitled to kick off.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
Would've been ultimate banter from the ref if he allowed the kick-off but gave them offside.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
My understanding is that you can't kick off if any of the other team's players are in your half. However, if all of the players are off the field, you are entitled to kick off.

They discussed this in our national wc show, because it seemed like when Australia celebrated a goal, one of them explicitely didn't go outside of the field to prevent it. We had a ref at the discussion and he told us that it's bullshit and no ref would every allow kick-off. Especially not at a WC.

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I take all the salt about England as a compliment, how a country can bother a lot of you is beyond me... it is not our fault our country will always be better, just accept it and move on

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/1...-rules-player-still-pitch-prevents-quick-kick

Teams are being very cautious at the World Cup this year to make sure they don't accidently put themselves in a position where they could end up allowing a very easy goal to their opponents.

After big goals, such as the Cristiano Ronaldo free kick that leveled Portugal with Spain at 3-3 or the Harry Kane header that lifted England over Tunisia, teams have been good to break into celebrations that involve the whole squad, except for one player.

In the cases of both Portugal and England, one player–Jose Fonte for Portugal, Kieran Trippier for England–made sure to stay on the pitch and not leave the field of play to prevent the opposition from kicking off, or at least cover themselves in case the laws of the game are interpreted in a way that could allow that. According to FIFA's Laws of the Game, all of the players except the one taking the kickoff must be in their own half of the field of play. If interpreted that players off the playing field entirely are not subjected to the same regulations as those on it, then the opposing team could theoretically kick off and resume play during a full-team celebration, while the goalkeeper stands alone against 10 men. The opposition could also restart as soon as the scoring team all goes back to its side of the field, even in celebration, as long as it has the referee's signal.

Oct 27, 2017
Meh... All is forgiven, I'll support England on Saturday.

Also, it's official:
e4f35599-8854-452f-8figxao.jpg

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
This is the kind of thing we have all come to expect from the english. No surprises here. Everyone agrees.

CovFan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have taken getting further than Brazil/Argentina/Germany/Wales/Scotland before the tournament tbh.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing that's overly bothering me right now is my swollen ankle that I did when dancing last night. Maybe when that wears off the emotional pain will start to kick in

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That was not only England. A lot of teams in this WC have tried it (and should not be news lol). It wouldnt matter either way as the referee would not sanction the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.