• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
WHO removes transgender as mental disorder

The World Health Organization has officially decided to stop classifying transgender people as mentally ill.

WHO member states adopted the new edition of the International Classification of Diseases during an annual assembly in Geneva on Saturday. It is the first update of the illness list in 29 years.

They now describe gender identity disorder as "gender incongruence" and it is no longer listed in the chapter of mental disorders.

Some good news. Did a search and found nothing.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Sadly it won't do much good for the ones who will be denied health care, or hunted down, or kicked to the curb by their families, and so on. The success of the anti-LGBT+ parties in the current EU elections isn't exactly comforting.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Astonishing it took so long but still nice to have some good news

then again I don't even know how relevant or important WHO is

Oct 25, 2017
Is there another source for this?? I'm not seeing any other reports, despite this article being published a day ago. Moreover, when looking it up, I'm seeing that a change was made to the WHO's classification in 2018, not this year.