• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
As pointed out in the main topic of discussion for the game...

I take it back. It looks fine on Switch, it's just not swapping between resolutions when you go from handheld to docked. (ignore the facebook image compression)
eH0wak6.jpg

Started the game up docked.

3u9wyWn.jpg

Started the game up handheld and then put it in docked mode.

Just an FYI for folk. Guess if you wanted to see how another game would perform with "docked" visuals in handheld mode you're in luck.

*Apparently there are some visual elements (shadows in a forested area) that are missing when compared to the Vita port and other platforms. No news how prevalent these are or if it's just a one time issue.

mpujdHa.png

The Switch OS also has issues when running the game as well.

Another user posted this video

It really is atrocious, I've had my Switch literally freeze on me for instinctively trying to check which friend of mine went online during gameplay or just looking at the gallery (I suspect it's even worse in handheld mode because the video looks slightly better than my experience).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a mess. Hopefully the other ports end up better (FF12, FF7, etc).

The Switch OS has issues with the game running as well.

Another user posted this video

It really is atrocious, I've had my Switch literally freeze on me for instinctively trying to check which friend of mine went online during gameplay or just looking at the gallery (I suspect it's even worse in handheld mode because the video looks slightly better than my experience).

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed on the eShop page that it didn't list the game as having multiplayer. Is that true?

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm suprised Nintendo doesn't check for that during cert.

(Cynic view: they do, but only for indies, not for Square Enix)

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
...what? How do you miss that during QA?
Or it wasnt missed and it was just rushed.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch version also has visual downgrades from the Vita version.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a different in resolution between docked/undocked, this seems like a very basic standard that Nintendo should enforce. Docking vs Undocking is a core feature of the platform.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're misunderstanding me. Switch has downgrades in comparison to Vita.

oh I see my bad, I have both the vita version and the ps4 version and the only problem with the vita was the load times, if they have a demo on the nintendo shop I can download it and make comparisons.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch UI is really the worst, having the console freeze because I checked the news feed while playing is ridiculous.

Also not sure if the resolution bump is small or I'm doing something wrong, but didn't notice any chances starting the game docked.
I noticed on the eShop page that it didn't list the game as having multiplayer. Is that true?
It's a purely single player game.
The Switch version also has visual downgrades from the Vita version.
Huh, it does? I remember the Vita version looking miserable but Switch looks great outside of the low resolution.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, the Switch OS while this game is running becomes an unusable mess. It took about 10 minutes for it to save a video I captured, then I couldn't even open the Album to post it while the game was running. Not sure what the game is doing, but it's atrocious.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Switch OS while this game is running becomes an unusable mess. It took about 10 minutes for it to save a video I captured, then I couldn't even open the Album to post it while the game was running. Not sure what the game is doing, but it's atrocious.

Do you know if other intensive games like DOOM or Wolfenstein 2 have any impact like this to the OS?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WoFF doesn't even get the Switch that hot nor drains as much battery as other intensive games, and none of them affect the OS like that, so I think it's some kind or bug instead.

Wander

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch UI is really the worst, having the console freeze because I checked the news feed while playing is ridiculous.

Also not sure if the resolution bump is small or I'm doing something wrong, but didn't notice any chances starting the game docked.

It's a purely single player game.

Huh, it does? I remember the Vita version looking miserable but Switch looks great outside of the low resolution.

The PS4 version had multiplayer play. This is some bull. Switch games are always missing multiplayer options

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This port has huge issues and everyone needs to get in Square Enix's ass about it so they will fix it. It is salvageable but it should not have launched in that state

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Do you know if other intensive games like DOOM or Wolfenstein 2 have any impact like this to the OS?

I don't have Wolfenstein 2, but DOOM has zero issues. I have well over 50 games at this point and WoFF is the first one to do this.

Though, Sonic Mania before its first patch had a Switch OS bug too, it would take about 10 seconds after pressing the Home button for the dashboard to appear. But this is different enough.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good reason why I stopped buying games for Switch on Day 1.

Need to know how it runs first before I purchase. Kinda like a PC :p

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have Wolfenstein 2, but DOOM has zero issues. I have well over 50 games at this point and WoFF is the first one to do this.

Though, Sonic Mania before its first patch had a Switch OS bug too, it would take about 10 seconds after pressing the Home button for the dashboard to appear. But this is different enough.

Ah, well hopefully the issues are quickly fixed up then.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, um... Dark1x

Is World of Final Fantasy on the radar for games you're gonna look at with the Switch and Xbox One versions being out? Especially because of things raised in this thread.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Unable to replicate the higher resolution lock when starting from Docked switching to Handheld...?

Saying the Switch version is a "Vita Downgrade" is highly misleading. It's overall much nicer, just with some disparities, as noted in the OP but not the title.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Saying the Switch version is a "Vita Downgrade" is highly misleading. It's overall much nicer, just with some disparities, as noted in the OP but not the title.

"Some elements from Vita downgraded" would have been great but there's only so many characters available in a thread title. "?" will have to suffice.

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
If you watch the video, the Switch version is objectively better than Vita version (which it should be). The main thing is the lack of tree shadows which is weird but I've been playing and it isn't that big of a deal in the end, just a little strange. In regards to the resolution bug, starting the game docked and then removing will scale the resolution normally but starting in handheld will lock it to the handheld resolution. Docked mode is most likely 720p with handheld being somewhere around 360-400p. It's very similar to Xenoblade 2 undocked minus the nasty sharpening filter that made everything look awful. It's not a bad port but I do hope Square releases a patch in the near future to help a few of the weirder things.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If you watch the video, the Switch version is objectively better than Vita version (which it should be). The main thing is the lack of tree shadows which is weird but I've been playing and it isn't that big of a deal in the end, just a little strange. In regards to the resolution bug, starting the game docked and then removing will scale the resolution normally but starting in handheld will lock it to the handheld resolution. Docked mode is most likely 720p with handheld being somewhere around 360-400p. It's very similar to Xenoblade 2 undocked minus the nasty sharpening filter that made everything look awful. It's not a bad port but I do hope Square releases a patch in the near future to help a few of the weirder things.

I'd guess both resolutions are higher than your estimates. It doesn't look half as blurry as XB2 handheld, even accounting for the latter's sharpening.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This + no retail is pretty telling.
But the devs also said their budget for Maxima was really low so they did what they could.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Resolution is still vastly better than XC2, that legit looked like a 3DS game in places. WoFF portable just looks a bit blurry. I thought it'd be nad but I adjusted within a couple of hours.
The switch version is massively better except that one screen without the shadows
Yeah pretty much, still a MASSIVE improvement from the Vita version.