• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing I really want to to in the game right now and I don't think I'll make it till 8.1. I'll probably just play PoE when the new league comes out.

Might come back and check out the new raid if the reception for 8.1 is good.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it feels like the general wow community is past the anger stage and are now just apathetic. I know so many people who have been playing since vanilla who are unsubbed and have no reason to come back.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
yeah scrapping projects for huge dev studios happens all the time

Blizzard has been doing that long before D4 or Titan. don't yall remember GHOST??
That's an entirely different context. Did you read the article in question? Or even watch the video summarizing/discussing it? This isn' about canned projects. It's a morale issue at Blizzard, in part due to the lack of faith from upper management, and in part due to a shift in focus. It's not all negative, but it's definitely not all positive.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it feels like the general wow community is past the anger stage and are now just apathetic. I know so many people who have been playing since vanilla who are unsubbed and have no reason to come back.

why would these people have stayed subbed through all of WoD??

That's an entirely different context. Did you read the article in question? Or even watch the video summarizing/discussing it? This isn' about canned projects. It's a morale issue at Blizzard, in part due to the lack of faith from upper management, and in part due to a shift in focus. It's not all negative, but it's definitely not all positive.

I started reading the article, until I saw all 11 of the alleged employees were all anonymous. I don't pay attention to any journalism in any field with just anonymous sources

This is not specifically a knock against this particular website and author. It's just a stance I've taken from being a longtime fan of real sports. There have been so many random reports over the years from anonymous athletes that turned out to be BS and not true

of course some nuggets might be true. I just choose not to engage in anything without official sources

I will say one thing from my own extrapolation -- both Metzen and Morhaime choosing to retire at relatively young ages might lead me to think they saw some writing on the wall, about Blizzard heading in a direction they might not like

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
why would these people have stayed subbed through all of WoD??

I started reading the article, until I saw all 11 of the alleged employees were all anonymous. I don't pay attention to any journalism in any field with just anonymous sources

This is not specifically a knock against this particular website and author. It's just a stance I've taken from being a longtime fan of real sports. There have been so many random reports over the years from anonymous athletes that turned out to be BS and not true

of course some nuggets might be true. I just choose not to engage in anything without official sources

I will say one thing from my own extrapolation -- both Metzen and Morhaime choosing to retire at relatively young ages might lead me to think they saw some writing on the wall, about Blizzard heading in a direction they might not like
Raids were good in WoD.

You must not pay attention to any journalism if you only want named sources. That's not how journalism works.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You must not pay attention to any journalism if you only want named sources. That's not how journalism works.
on the other hand I'm sure I don't need to list all the many times anonymous sources turned out to be bogus in all fields of journalism either

I'm sure you don't believe 100% of anonymous reports

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know what the difference is, are you just talking semantics

that's the same thing, it's like whether the chicken or the egg came first
It's not the same thing. Quality journalists who demonstrate a track record of getting things right despite quoting anonymous sources are trustworthy.

You say you watch sports, do you trust Adam Schefter? He never names his sources, but he's almost always the first person to report insider NFL info and is never wrong.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I, uh. That's unfortunate, since that's a significant portion of valid and important journalism. But I guess fair enough?

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
So uh, something that's been bothering me as I run Siege of Orgrimmar more than is healthy in a valiant effort to get Tusks is that WTF happened to the Underhold after SoO? As far as I can tell, there's been no advancement of the lore/story regarding this. You wouldn't just put a massive underground facility like that to waste, and it was never mentioned to be collapsed or sealed up either, so uh..yeah.

Most reasonable speculation I read was maybe that the corruption from the heart of Y'shaarj (or any old god remains) functions like radioactive waste, so maybe the place is uninhabitable like the area around Chernobyl. Who knows though.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not the same thing. Quality journalists who demonstrate a track record of getting things right despite quoting anonymous sources are trustworthy.

You say you watch sports, do you trust Adam Schefter? He never names his sources, but he's almost always the first person to report insider NFL info and is never wrong.
I don't watch ESPN's coverage of the NFL much anymore the past couple years, I've switched to mainly NFL Network since that time

But from what I recall, Schefter has done plenty of non-anonymous normal stories. And public interviews with people. Or just talked about his own personal opinions about stuff with fellow colleagues. As far as literally never being wrong?? I don't care enough about the subject to go spend my time documenting his entire career, but I have a hard time believing that. I thought he was fine, but I still wouldn't blindly believe 100%

However you do have a general point -- I know nothing about the website/author of that Blizzard article. I don't visit any gaming websites whatsoever besides ERA (or GAF before). I've never had Twitter and never read twitter. Never read facebook. I look on reddit maybe once every 2 or 3 months, but only for specific reasons, not just randomly browsing

The last time I've visited gaming websites was like IGN/Gamespot during 2000 to early-2000s. But not since GAF started around 2005/2006?

Your earlier suspicion was also correct -- I don't read or watch news of any kind outside of video games either. I browse two internet forums and that's it, ERA and a subscription-only college football forum of the university I attended

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't watch ESPN's coverage of the NFL much anymore the past couple years, I've switched to mainly NFL Network since that time

But from what I recall, Schefter has done plenty of non-anonymous normal stories. And public interviews with people. Or just talked about his own personal opinions about stuff with fellow colleagues. As far as literally never being wrong?? I don't care enough about the subject to go spend my time documenting his entire career, but I have a hard time believing that. I thought he was fine, but I still wouldn't blindly believe 100%

However you do have a general point -- I know nothing about the website/author of that Blizzard article. I don't visit any gaming websites whatsoever besides ERA (or GAF before). I've never had Twitter and never read twitter. Never read facebook. I look on reddit maybe once every 2 or 3 months, but only for specific reasons, not just randomly browsing

The last time I've visited gaming websites was like IGN/Gamespot during 2000 to early-2000s. But not since GAF started around 2005/2006?

Your earlier suspicion was also correct -- I don't read or watch news of any kind outside of video games either. I browse two internet forums and that's it, ERA and a subscription-only college football forum of the university I attended

I'm not sure what you do for work or anything where you can get away with such limited knowledge, but at least you're capable of recognizing that you're rather ignorant, and as an issue of your own making (choosing to be ignorant).

And to be clear I'm not trying to use ignorance as a derogatory term here necessarily, but a technical one.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

No one's asking you to blindly believe anything, but blindly believing and blindy refusing to believe aren't really any different.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Neat armor.

dwarfHeritageArmorWithBelt.jpg

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
7uveo9ilea021.png

Let's talk about Ulduar.

Always a bit sad to see such concepts and realize they'll never get done, have been going a different direction or have ben discarded very early.
Dragon Isles, full Emerald Dream, Azjol Nerub (painful), ogre continent, Farahlon...

In my ideal world one day they'll release a "Wow - scrapped" expansion with all of those.
And since there's cut content for every expansion/continent, they could have a good incentive to make everyone go back to these now deserted places. Win/win : o

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Always a bit sad to see such concepts and realize they'll never get done, have been going a different direction or have ben discarded very early.
Dragon Isles, full Emerald Dream, Azjol Nerub (painful), ogre continent, Farahlon...

In my ideal world one day they'll release a "Wow - scrapped" expansion with all of those.
And since there's cut content for every expansion/continent, they could have a good incentive to make everyone go back to these now deserted places. Win/win : o

It's not necessarily cut content all the time so much as a rough, early draft.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
It's not necessarily cut content all the time so much as a rough, early draft.

They probably all fall under one or more :
- team/director did not think that zone is interesting
- too much workload for too little content output (probably why Ogres and Farahlon scrapped,, especially considering WoD's reception)
- focus is needed elsewhere

Still I'd be excited beyond reason if they'd go the "Wow - scrapped" way instead of adding another landmass from nowhere resulting in all the continents magically moving from each other once more.
Because except another planet or the fabled "southern hemisphere Azeroth" (I really hope it won't come to this), I don't see where they'll take us next. "World of Warcraft - The Horrors of Tel'Abim" maybe.

DMTOARhUMAADu0n.jpg

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing I really want to to in the game right now and I don't think I'll make it till 8.1. I'll probably just play PoE when the new league comes out.

Might come back and check out the new raid if the reception for 8.1 is good.

Yeah, game is fucking boring and there's nothing interesting or engaging to do.

I don't even do M+ anymore because the affixes are so unfun in these dungeons.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
After the Kotaku article came out I think we can take a gander why BfA hasn't turned out so good. The whole meme or whatever it was of Activision destroying Blizzard when they merged during the Cata expansion and having their hand in the pie seems to be more and more real.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I have been unsubbed for a few weeks now, the game just ran out of fun stuff to do once I was practically fully geared from M+ 10s unless there was some insane roll. Leveling an alt is just not for me thanks to stuff like azerite power ect.

The raid too was just ok. Felt too much like a one big room, bosses were fine but nothing special. Didn't even get to G'huun HC but jujust not feeling the drive for this raid. I might subscribe back if if new raids get a good reception and/or they increase the ilvl you can get from M+ 13-15 or somethin.

Legion got me hooked until Nighthold was done so definite downgrade in terms of engagement for me.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this first raid was bad, but it's just kinda there. It's definitely NOT as good as the WOD raids were, even Highmaul was an extremely fun zone. It hurts that this is a zone with multiple quite challenging bosses, but they're all simplistic except G'huun and G'huun is POSSIBLY the least fun 'hard' boss I've ever encountered. Highmaul had mostly easy bosses and then Imperator but Imperator is a fucking highlight and probably in my top 10 bosses of all time, so that helped. If the next raid isn't BRF tier it's gonna be a painful xpac.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
serious question -- are all of yall in this thread just raiders?? because that's where I see all the complaints about

none of you just do random casual non-raid stuff in WoW?

For the past few weeks, I've been going back and doing a bunch of Legion content on all my different class characters, that I never did. I don't care about raids or mythics, I literally have never stepped foot in either one in BFA yet

I like doing all the class story stuff or getting hidden artifact appearances, or the class mounts, etc

granted -- if you're not the type to play any alts, then I guess this stuff wouldn't matter

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I think most people in this thread did all that when it came out and/or are just burned out on alts. I had some fun catching up on stuff from the tail end of Legion when I started back up in BFA, but now that I've seen it all and I don't have a regular group for M+ or raiding, I'm out of stuff to do.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think most people in this thread did all that when it came out and/or are just burned out on alts. I had some fun catching up on stuff from the tail end of Legion when I started back up in BFA, but now that I've seen it all and I don't have a regular group for M+ or raiding, I'm out of stuff to do.
ok I guess that makes sense

I loved Legion, it's definitely my favorite xpac of all. I played it hardcore for maybe 6 months after it launched, but mostly focused on my main. I stopped playing WoW and never got back to it, so this was before any of the Legionfall or Argus stuff. No class mounts yet, and I don't think the hidden appearances were in yet either

So now I'm doing all that stuff on every class and it's awesome. I love playing alts and every class though, which not everyone does

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I love playing alts when the game is fun to play. I think I have 17 110s. I did all the mage towers and even doubled up on some druid ones. Got 15s done on all of them. I almost never raid.

Classes took a massive step back this expansion though so I don't see the need to play any more. I leveled rogue, druid, monk and shaman. Only rogue isn't a regression. I knew shaman wouldn't be fun, but I was a dumbass that believed they would deliver on changes and wanted to have it ready. I look at the rest of my 110s and don't see fun.

They know it, too. They just think it's worth it for classes to be less fun. In my case it just means I don't log in.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had every class at 110 in Legion (except druid, meh!) because there were a lot of enticing things to chase unique to each class, their artifacts in general, class hall campaigns, class mounts, challenge/hidden appearances. Now in BfA I have two at 110 and don't really see myself leveling alts for a while this expansion (or maybe at all). Nothing in 8.1 or what was said about 8.2 at Blizzcon gives me any reason to so far.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
I'm basically only still subbed atm because I play with a bunch of guys from my work and we raid twice a week so we always get in the next day and discuss the previous night so it's a lot of fun. If I didn't have that I'd have been gone in October. There is literally zero to do outside of the raid and M+ but my gear's fine so I don't need M+

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love playing alts when the game is fun to play. I think I have 17 110s. I did all the mage towers and even doubled up on some druid ones. Got 15s done on all of them. I almost never raid.

Classes took a massive step back this expansion though so I don't see the need to play any more. I leveled rogue, druid, monk and shaman. Only rogue isn't a regression. I knew shaman wouldn't be fun, but I was a dumbass that believed they would deliver on changes and wanted to have it ready. I look at the rest of my 110s and don't see fun.

They know it, too. They just think it's worth it for classes to be less fun. In my case it just means I don't log in.
so you actually think class gameplay mechanics are mostly bad now? if that's what you mean, then I definitely do not agree

Here are the specific class specs that I've played in BFA (but not at 120, I mean leveling from 110 to 120). Also my comments are strictly based on *fun* factor of the mechanics, not power analysis or how good they are.

DK Frost -- my main and still great fun to me
Mage Frost -- great
Mage Fire -- decent
Rouge Outlaw -- great
Shaman Enhance -- awesome
Warlock Affliction -- good
Warrior Arms -- awesome
Warrior Prot -- mediocre
Monk dps -- good
Monk tank -- don't like this
Hunter Marks -- good
DH dps -- good
Priest Shadow -- good
Priest Holy -- decent
Druid heal -- good
Druid Balance -- decent
Paladin dps -- decent
Paladin tank -- awesome

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had every class at 110 in Legion (except druid, meh!) because there were a lot of enticing things to chase unique to each class, their artifacts in general, class hall campaigns, class mounts, challenge/hidden appearances. Now in BfA I have two at 110 and don't really see myself leveling alts for a while this expansion (or maybe at all). Nothing in 8.1 or what was said about 8.2 at Blizzcon gives me any reason to so far.
okay yeah --

I guess in some ways now that I think about it, I'm agreeing with yall. I haven't done any BFA content since I unlocked all the sub-races for Horde

All the content I'm playing now is Legion, haha. I'm just saying I still love all this Legion content

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017

Yuuup. Only 120 is my Rogue and I'm only raid logging. Maybe 8.1 convinces me to level allied races but I dunno if it will. Just trying to tough it out until we kill G'huun and then I might quit prog raiding (which means I never log in again).

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
so you actually think class gameplay mechanics are mostly bad now? if that's what you mean, then I definitely do not agree

Yes, by and large, most specs are less fun than they were in Legion (not that Legion was necessarily good design for all of them, but generally better than now). Either on live or in beta I played most of them and this has been one of my major concerns since the beginning of the year (and was one of the biggest general beta complaints from others, as well). It's good that you don't agree because that will allow you to extract some fun from moment-to-moment gameplay. But for me (and a lot of others) it's been a drastic negative change.

I'd happily level another character through Drustvar if I could expect to have fun with the class. But that's not a reasonable expectation for me.

Yuuup. Only 120 is my Rogue and I'm only raid logging. Maybe 8.1 convinces me to level allied races but I dunno if it will. Just trying to tough it out until we kill G'huun and then I might quit prog raiding (which means I never log in again).

Shoutout to rogue for having some of the most solid base mechanics.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, by and large, most specs are less fun than they were in Legion (not that Legion was necessarily good design for all of them, but generally better than now). Either on live or in beta I played most of them and this has been one of my major concerns since the beginning of the year (and was one of the biggest general beta complaints from others, as well). It's good that you don't agree because that will allow you to extract some fun from moment-to-moment gameplay. But for me (and a lot of others) it's been a drastic negative change.

I'd happily level another character through Drustvar if I could expect to have fun with the class. But that's not a reasonable expectation for me.
ok got it, I was just checking if you truly were not happy with only the class spec mechanics, or if it was a content thing

If you really don't like all the class mechanics, then yeah you shouldn't play the game. But like I mentioned in my list above, I like most of them

I don't really recall the specific differences with Legion, because I don't have a good memory like that. my *impression* is that the mechanics don't seem to be that much different

but I really don't remember

<edit> oh, if you have time can you pick one specific class spec from my list above, and give a detailed breakdown of the differences from Legion?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The only class I never got to 110 was a rogue. She's stuck at 80 for the forseable future - the only time I got a rogue to cap was in Cata and then I changed servers. I tried getting her to cap again before BFA but BC/Wrath content just made me so bored. I've dabbled in some of the classes before choosing who to level to 120 (DK, Mage, and Shaman are all 120 now) but a lot of them feel like they're missing a button or three after losing artifacts. Maybe not even a button but a passive or something. They feel like puzzles that are missing a few small pieces but those pieces are very important to the overall "look" and that takes away from the final image, so to speak.

Right now, I don't find my two classes I play the most to be very "fun" or at least as fun as they previously were. My Blood DK is fine but she's the most fun, sadly, when shit's going down and I can pull some amazing survival out of my ass. My fire mage is kinda the same as she's always been minus how I hated playing her in Mists/WOD. I don't think it's fair to say "oh you don't like your class? then you shouldn't play the game." That's a terribly narrow viewpoint. I raid and play this game for my team and the fun that comes out of this. If I didn't quit or give up during Warlords I'm surely not doing it here. BFA has a good amount of potential but right now they're not using a lot of it and keep tripping up on things that should have been solved in the beta. I'm hopeful that by 8.2 the kinks will be mostly ironed out and it'll be business as usual.

Also, I'm a "casual raider" meaning my guild that I run does Heroic and nothing more. I have "plenty" of time to run casual stuff etc but the problem with that is quite simple: I've done it all before. 14 years in and there's not a lot of reason for me to constantly run outdated content because I've done so much in the previous expansion runs. I want to level an alt, again, or even finish my rogue but that's not happening until the XP nerf in 8.1. And even then we'll see how much of the old content I can take again before being bored.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Finally hit the unsub button. Can't be assed to run M+ anymore and my guild doesn't have the numbers to push into Mythic Uldir in any tangible way (we've had Heroic on farm for like 7 weeks so raiding has been dreadfully boring).

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
ok got it, I was just checking if you truly were not happy with only the class spec mechanics, or if it was a content thing

If you really don't like all the class mechanics, then yeah you shouldn't play the game. But like I mentioned in my list above, I like most of them

I don't really recall the specific differences with Legion, because I don't have a good memory like that. my *impression* is that the mechanics don't seem to be that much different

but I really don't remember

<edit> oh, if you have time can you pick one specific class spec from my list above, and give a detailed breakdown of the differences from Legion?

If you want a detailed breakdown of every change and removal I'm pretty sure Wowhead has an article for each spec.

But for instance, moonkin lost fluidity, build diversity and legendaries that helped spice up what is otherwise a fairly boring build and spend rotation. Moon spells helped pace out astral power generation and timing them correctly felt rewarding. Now it's a bad talent that competes with astral power generating talents you would have taken previously, so it's not as smooth no matter what. No legendaries means you lose either the variation from bracers and cloak and the complexity from hat. It also means you lost builds like the dad build (cloak + bracers with Starfall talents that was popular in M+ and for dealing with mechanics in raids).

The result is a spec that has less abilities and less effects than before and doesn't flow as well as it did previously with a lot more filler casting. It's just vanilla. A lot of these Legion designs were propped up by what you could do with the artifact and/or legendaries and those weren't replaced.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I think the hunter specs are better now than in legion but that's about it

I really want classic shadow priest baxk

Status
Not open for further replies.