• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
But they don't matter in a good way. I just run raidbots with either piece and then I pick the better one.

It's not fun.

It's also not fun that haste is universally the best secondary stat on every class/spec I play. Where's the choice? It's just an obligatory "yeah this makes me better" and then you get a piece of gear that's higher ilvl and even IF you get excited 'cause it's new you look at the secondary stats like "oh, nevermind" and nobody else needs it 'cause they don't need those stats either... It's boring.

Sims only tell ya so much. If I want to go crazy MT spec, then haste is not the stat I need as rogue. It's low end there. If I want to go crazy ST, then haste is the priority. I can go a mix, like I am currently, which is good for M+. This is all influenced by the talents/azerite traits of course, where imo there is choice but of course varies a lot by class.

If you're just gonna do what the sims tell you precisely, then okay there is no choice. I don't think there ever is choice in that situation. Why does ilvl have to be more important than stat mix in that case? You're just gonna use the better simmed item in either case and you don't have choice there either.

You do have some choice in what items you pursue at least.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Sims only tell ya so much. If I want to go crazy MT spec, then haste is not the stat I need as rogue. It's low end there. If I want to go crazy ST, then haste is the priority. I can go a mix, like I am currently, which is good for M+. This is all influenced by the talents/azerite traits of course, where imo there is choice but of course varies a lot by class.

If you're just gonna do what the sims tell you precisely, then okay there is no choice. I don't think there ever is choice in that situation. Why does ilvl have to be more important than stat mix in that case? You're just gonna use the better simmed item in either case and you don't have choice there either.

You do have some choice in what items you pursue at least.
I mean, I don't blame you for not knowing this, but I've been fairly vocal about my distaste for how the gear works in this game for a long long time. Just going for bigger numbers is boring as fuck. At this point it encourages simming shit, because otherwise you don't know what's best at any given point.

I definitely don't want to go back to vanilla, but stuff like getting fire resistance gear to run MC actually makes for an interesting choice. Gearing/speccing for raiding vs PvP vs M+'s is sort of like that, and I try to find my joy there, but really it's not much in the end. Most of the best gear crosses from one to another. And traits in azerite gear are also mostly just "this is best always!!" due to proc chances or whatever else.

I end up changing talents more than I change gear (bar upgrades). Which is a flip from vanilla. Like I said, though, I don't want to go back to vanilla. But I think this dynamic was better back then?

I dunno, I don't really have a solution, and I know I'm not like, good at this game or anything. More just venting than anything else.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
and it seems my small social guild is done, welp.

lasted longer than Legion, 5/8 HC, we did nothing in HC in Legion. Oh well, was fun. Maybe ppl will come back in 8.1.5 for the new one.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not understanding what you're saying? They don't offer free transfers back for normal faction changing, yet it's popular; people understand the risks and coordinate with friends beforehand.

Offering free one-way transfers (and righting racial balance issues) is the best way to fundamentally solve faction imbalance, just like server merging would have been a better way to solve population deficits than the half-measure of coalescing/sharding, which has deleterious effects on community.

Instead they play seesaw by over-nerfing/over-buffing/introducing racials to profit off people's fickle min/maxing nature. Been this way forever.

Inclined to agree at this point. Just let us Mercenary Mode everything as a toggle. It's always been silly that players with Merc Mode on couldn't purposefully BG queue with opposite faction friends, but could happen to queue into the same BG by luck.
People don't faction transfer alliance. And making TO ally free does no good. You have to make it risk free. Becuase if you make it free to go Ally, it doesn't ACTUALLY make it free to go ally and try out with a guild. It still cuts you off from the rest of the game and puts a paywall in your face to get back to the side that everyone plays on.

If you make it free BOTH ways (or eliminate factions entirely, obviously), then there's nothing wrong with us going Ally and we don't have to convince people to waste money doing it, or give up their friends, or anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Could you expound? I've only killed three bosses in heroic. >_>

I'm not a rogue, mostly just curious.

On Mythic Zul, the adds cannot die unless they have a debuff on them that attaches to random adds between the Crusher, Bloodhexer and Crawgs. When they do die, they just respawn in the same spot at full health after a bit. This is pretty hard.

What you do is 3 tank it and just ignore that shit besides the Crusher and you CC the Hexers. The 3rd tank kites around the Crawgs (there are a lot of them) while 4-6 rogues just spam shuriken storm. That's where the shuriken combo effect comes in, where your next Eviscerate does 8% more damage for every extra enemy hit by Shuriken storm up to 5 meaning that they are just doing shuriken storm and then a full powered max combo point Eviscerate over and over and over and over and over again. While DHs and Mages can do equally dumb damage, its about 75% on adds and 25% on the boss. Rogues do 75 to boss and 25 to adds. They just SHIT damage. We're talking a fight that's supposed to be 7 minutes long go down to like 4. We brought in alts and casual players over raiders on Zul because they would be doing more damage then our best players if they weren't rogues.

The 2nd phase is a joke with this strat if you make the push before another set of adds come out.

Oct 25, 2017
heres from one of our zul kills. its more like 3 minute 10 second fight now.

yUqTLRl.png

MjbOyXW.png

U5tO28Z.png

just stupid damage being done.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
People don't faction transfer alliance. And making TO ally free does no good. You have to make it risk free. Becuase if you make it free to go Ally, it doesn't ACTUALLY make it free to go ally and try out with a guild. It still cuts you off from the rest of the game and puts a paywall in your face to get back to the side that everyone plays on.

If you make it free BOTH ways (or eliminate factions entirely, obviously), then there's nothing wrong with us going Ally and we don't have to convince people to waste money doing it, or give up their friends, or anything else.

Most players aren't hardcore raiders trying out for guilds, so that's kind of irrelevant. To say that making faction transfers to Alliance free for a period would do "no good" is absurd — of course it would, as such incentives always have. People don't faction transfer to Alliance now because why spend an overpriced $30 to disadvantage yourself when no one else is? Removing the cost piques community interest, grants an opportunity to those whose friends are on Alliance, etc.

I'm ideologically for there being a short grace period for any and every character service in general, but making faction transfers both ways free would be both abusable and detrimental to the goal of equalizing the factions' populations, since people would flock to the more popular one with a perceived advantage.

Regardless, back to the point of the conversation: the increased War Mode bonuses aren't going to do anything whatsoever to incentive Alliance WPvP participation, because (1) the rewards themselves are garbage outside of leveling, (2) they're PvE-oriented rather than PvP-oriented, and (3) they don't address the fundamental issue of LFG sharding making WQs an unpleasant experience as Alliance, because there are Horde groups spawning in at WQs that aren't contested by an influx of Alliance players into the general zone shard.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most players aren't hardcore raiders trying out for guilds, so that's kind of irrelevant. To say that making faction transfers to Alliance free for a period would do "no good" is absurd — of course it would, as such incentives always have. People don't faction transfer to Alliance now because why spend an overpriced $30 to disadvantage yourself when no one else is? Removing the cost piques community interest, grants an opportunity to those whose friends are on Alliance, etc.

I'm ideologically for there being a short grace period for any and every character service in general, but making faction transfers both ways free would be both abusable and detrimental to the goal of equalizing the factions' populations, since people would flock to the more popular one with a perceived advantage.

Regardless, back to the point of the conversation: the increased War Mode bonuses aren't going to do anything whatsoever to incentive Alliance WPvP participation, because (1) the rewards themselves are garbage outside of leveling, (2) they're PvE-oriented rather than PvP-oriented, and (3) they don't address the fundamental issue of LFG sharding making WQs an unpleasant experience as Alliance, because there are Horde groups spawning in at WQs that aren't contested by an influx of Alliance players into the general zone shard.
Most players still want to play with people. Not sure what your argument here is, there is risk to transferring to alliance, there is none to transferring horde. People that are hyper casual already don't care, they're not the ones that contribute the meaningful faction imbalance.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Most players still want to play with people. Not sure what your argument here is, there is risk to transferring to alliance, there is none to transferring horde. People that are hyper casual already don't care, they're not the ones that contribute the meaningful faction imbalance.

Alliance isn't gravely underpopulated — the numbers are reasonably close — it's just that their War Mode population is anemic, due to a variety of (very fixable) factors, which aren't really addressed by their proposed changes.

There is inherently much less risk in doing a free transfer than a $30 transfer, which is my point. You said making one-way H->A transfers temporarily free "wouldn't do anything," which is just false. It's a tactic Blizzard used to use with realm transfers, and it worked well. In reality, beyond the narrow scope of hardcore raiders you seem to be referring to, players' risk in faction transferring is going to be case-by-case, depending on their social circles and preferred activities.

For fickle PvPers, who are the subject in contention with these changes, a free H->A transfer would alleviate a lot more of the ratio imbalance, which was caused by extreme Horde racial advantages in Legion. PvP-wise, racials are actually fairly well-balanced right now between the factions.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of adds up the entire fight so Sub Rogues can get 5+ combo points with one Shuriken Storm. Lets them put out insane DPS.

On Mythic Zul, the adds cannot die unless they have a debuff on them that attaches to random adds between the Crusher, Bloodhexer and Crawgs. When they do die, they just respawn in the same spot at full health after a bit. This is pretty hard.

What you do is 3 tank it and just ignore that shit besides the Crusher and you CC the Hexers. The 3rd tank kites around the Crawgs (there are a lot of them) while 4-6 rogues just spam shuriken storm. That's where the shuriken combo effect comes in, where your next Eviscerate does 8% more damage for every extra enemy hit by Shuriken storm up to 5 meaning that they are just doing shuriken storm and then a full powered max combo point Eviscerate over and over and over and over and over again. While DHs and Mages can do equally dumb damage, its about 75% on adds and 25% on the boss. Rogues do 75 to boss and 25 to adds. They just SHIT damage. We're talking a fight that's supposed to be 7 minutes long go down to like 4. We brought in alts and casual players over raiders on Zul because they would be doing more damage then our best players if they weren't rogues.

The 2nd phase is a joke with this strat if you make the push before another set of adds come out.

heres from one of our zul kills. its more like 3 minute 10 second fight now.

yUqTLRl.png

MjbOyXW.png

U5tO28Z.png

just stupid damage being done.

Hahaha okay I got it now. Nice.

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit the bursting boil nerf is a godsend

edit - 7% wipe on our first phase 3. this change really legit did make the fight at least 40% easier, or at least shaved off dozens of wipes

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be the only WoW discussion place that hasn't fallen into baseless conspiracy theories. Many in the top post of the WoW subreddit are claiming that all of WoW's best developers have moved onto mobile games, even though the development team is largely the same one from Legion.

I know the Diablo Mobile controversy has some people pissed off (rightfully so), but it's made discussing other Blizzard titles harder without devolving into baseless speculation.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... WoW's best developers kind of did move on years and years ago, at least from my perspective. :P

Legion certainly had great aspects, such as M+, but also had fundamental, philosophical problems designed manipulatively to keep players on an artificial treadmill, rather than to earn their subscriptions through fun gameplay, class design, or immersion. The unending AP grind which heavily penalized alts until the end of the expansion, the RNG bonanza at every level of the game, etc.

It was also objectively the worst expansion for PvP, partly because they virtually ignored it — even removed vendors in favor of... more RNG, ignored WPvP's demise in favor of... more RNG through broken legendaries — and partly because the simplified class designs caused the skill ceiling to come crashing down to meet the floor.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
BFA is literally a scuffed version of Legion.

Everything that was good in Legion, the counterpart is worse in BFA.

I wish I had a reason to log into the game any more other than raid nights, but I don't and it sucks.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Last edited:

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, my guild is so toxic lately. It started at the beginning, but we were making enough progression that it was just surface level. Now every time I log on someone has some shit to say. I want to find a new guild, but my asks are so specific that I can't find anything worthwhile. ugh. Sorry just needed to vent!

If you are recruiting horde side on Zul'jin let me know!

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Man, my guild is so toxic lately. It started at the beginning, but we were making enough progression that it was just surface level. Now every time I log on someone has some shit to say. I want to find a new guild, but my asks are so specific that I can't find anything worthwhile. ugh. Sorry just needed to vent!

If you are recruiting horde side on Zul'jin let me know!

Kinda dealing with the same now as a guild leader. But the toxic people have left and that's been making my BFA experience a bit better!

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda dealing with the same now as a guild leader. But the toxic people have left and that's been making my BFA experience a bit better!
Yeah, my GL isn't doing anything to address it. So everything is just festering. I quit on one of my toons and log onto it when I need a break, which is essentially all the time now. lol

Oh well!

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah, my GL isn't doing anything to address it. So everything is just festering. I quit on one of my toons and log onto it when I need a break, which is essentially all the time now. lol

Oh well!

Ours really boiled down to casual vs hardcore. We're a casual raiding guild. I cannot stress that enough yet it always comes up that someone wants to push more and more and more and ends up mad about it.

Sorry you want to constantly pusha +20's and one shot every raid boss but you need to find a new guild for that and stop taking it out on everyone else.

Magilla

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ours really boiled down to casual vs hardcore. We're a casual raiding guild. I cannot stress that enough yet it always comes up that someone wants to push more and more and more and ends up mad about it.

Sorry you want to constantly pusha +20's and one shot every raid boss but you need to find a new guild for that and stop taking it out on everyone else.

That sucks. Good luck to ya!

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, told the RL I'm done raiding after this tier. Secretly hoping they bring in the other Rogue for G'huun progression so I don't have to log in anymore.

Three nights of Mythic raiding is just too much time investment for a game I'm not enjoying anymore.

V-Faction

Oct 25, 2017
I think the sequential wars were more Alliance v Horde, so BFA would really be the Fourth War.
I was under the impression that the 3rd War was the events of Reign of Chaos + Frozen Throne, a.k.a. the war against the return of the Burning Legion, the races of Azeroth banding together, the fight against the Lich King, the sacking of Dalaran, the sundering of the Sunwell, etc. Which doesn't really feel like A v H (which I think was the idea behind calling it the 3rd War, could be wrong).

My interpretation was:
1st War: Orcs invade Azeroth, Stormwind burned (WarCraft 1)
2nd War: Dark Portal re-opens, Outland, high seas, internment camps (WarCraft 2)
3rd War: WarCraft III and expansions

There have been many large scale conflicts since then, all in WoW, but I don't know if any of them have been officially given the designation of the next BIG War (4, 5, 6...) though I wouldn't mind Legion being the 4th and BFA being the 5th on the scale.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, as I recall it the Third War was the encompassing term for the conflicts with both Archimonde and the Scourge, and the events that followed as a result.

Vanilla started a Cold War of sorts between the Alliance and Horde, but there hasn't been another named conflict since, though you could probably make the case that the Third War lasted until the end of WotLK and MOP started a Fourth War.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I was under the impression that the 3rd War was the events of Reign of Chaos + Frozen Throne, a.k.a. the war against the return of the Burning Legion, the races of Azeroth banding together, the fight against the Lich King, the sacking of Dalaran, the sundering of the Sunwell, etc. Which doesn't really feel like A v H (which I think was the idea behind calling it the 3rd War, could be wrong).

My interpretation was:
1st War: Orcs invade Azeroth, Stormwind burned (WarCraft 1)
2nd War: Dark Portal re-opens, Outland, high seas, internment camps (WarCraft 2)
3rd War: WarCraft III and expansions

There have been many large scale conflicts since then, all in WoW, but I don't know if any of them have been officially given the designation of the next BIG War (4, 5, 6...) though I wouldn't mind Legion being the 4th and BFA being the 5th on the scale.

It just boils down to semantics, really, on what's a war vs a series of conflicts. If we assume that it requires a declaration of the state - either Horde or Alliance - to officially constitute a capitol "W" War and that the numbered wars are essentially what they call "World Wars" then post Third War we have....

Vanilla WoW - a series of conflicts, excursions, and special missions. One major war in the Ahn'Qiraj war.
Burning Crusade - Special strikes vs the Legion and the Illidari and then the Battle at the Sunwell. No real "war."
Wrath of the Lich King - Both Alliance and Horde went to war vs. the Scourge.
Cataclysm - Unclear about an official declaration, but certainly Deathwing's Twilight forces wage war on the rest of the world.
Mists of Pandaria - Strikes against the Mogu and Mantid until the Alliance and Horde officially go at each other in the Siege of Orgrimmar, which should count as a war.
Warlords of Draenor - the Iron Horde invades Azeroth, essentially another war waged by a hostile outside force.
Legion - Absolutely a War against the legion, first a defensive hold on the Broken islands ending in a campaign on Argus itself.
BFA - Open War between the Horde and Alliance starting with the Burning of Teldrassil.

So, there's been about 7 wars since War3 - which would put us at the 10th War.

Real answer? There won't be a "Fourth War" until Warcraft 4 because that's really how Blizzard numbers the Wars. :)

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
So much war the word is starting to mean nothing...

Give me Advance Wars: Warcraft Edition.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont take in consideration the expansions pre legion because that were small scale wars and barely affected all the world, except maybe Cataclysm but Deathwing returned to his lair afterwards , In legion all the continents and islands were affected and BFA the two main continents are at war but offscreen

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah, I've never taken anything but the numbered games as wars. I could absolutely be wrong in this though.

Unrelated, but I just posted recruitment stuff and it physically pains me to do it. I hate recruitment so much. I only want a handful of DPS but who knows what will apply (if BFA hasn't scared everyone off.)

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
wat do u mean i thought Deathwing is considered dead in lore??
After the events of Cataclysm questing, prior to any patches, Deathwing retreated to his lair to lick his wounds after Alexstraza smacked him upside the head.

Deathwing is totally dead now, but he was conspicuously MIA during the actual events of Cataclysm after he broke the world and led the Twilight's Hammer to a stunning defeat.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
After the events of Cataclysm questing, prior to any patches, Deathwing retreated to his lair to lick his wounds after Alexstraza smacked him upside the head.

Deathwing is totally dead now, but he was conspicuously MIA during the actual events of Cataclysm after he broke the world and led the Twilight's Hammer to a stunning defeat.
wait r u talking about after the Dragon Soul fight? looked like he was dead right from the end of that fight

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
wait r u talking about after the Dragon Soul fight? looked like he was dead right from the end of that fight
Dragon Soul was the final raid. After questing in Twilight Highlands, Alexstraza confronts Deathwing and manages to scare him off for a bit. He isn't seen again (in the present, anyway) until Dragon Soul.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he was still flying around torching zones in-game every now and then, lest you forget. At least in terms of gameplay. In terms of lore I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.