World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth|OT| War Mode Enabled!

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else lose like 20-30 fps everytime there is smoke/mist on their screen? I've been dealing with this for a while, but that Alliance version of the Drustvar's Assault where there is a lot of poison "mist" all over the place on the Horde ship is just making things worse.

There's also this weird lag I've noticed on my paladin alt. Not only is there a slight delay on my actions, but sometimes my mount is invisible and my character looks like he's running really fast and somehow.... I don't generate holy power until I'm out of combat(going from 0 to 5 once I killed the last enemy)?? I have to log out to fix this, but it happened more than once. First time I ever see this and not sure if the cause is either Drustvar or War Mode(since I don't notice this bug on my lvl 120 alts not using War Mode). Known bug?

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone else lose like 20-30 fps everytime there is smoke/mist on their screen? I've been dealing with this for a while, but that Alliance version of the Drustvar's Assault where there is a lot of poison "mist" all over the place on the Horde ship is just making things worse.

There's also this weird lag I've noticed on my paladin alt. Not only is there a slight delay on my actions, but sometimes my mount is invisible and my character looks like he's running really fast and somehow.... I don't generate holy power until I'm out of combat(going from 0 to 5 once I killed the last enemy)?? I have to log out to fix this, but it happened more than once. First time I ever see this and not sure if the cause is either Drustvar or War Mode(since I don't notice this bug on my lvl 120 alts not using War Mode). Known bug?
Same issue. Invisible mount issue in Drust in war mode on alts.

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Man why do they keep nerfing gold income in game? I am poor ingame as it is, Grifta Rogue weekly used to be 5000g in Legion then it was knocked down to 2500g at BFA release. Find out now after 8.1 its down to 1232g now. Come on!

Oct 27, 2017
Did Blizzard do something to the launcher? Every time I try to start it my computer completely freezes and I have to restart it. As far as I know it only happen with the B.net launcher, and as it is now I can't play any Blizzard games...

Anyone know of a way to get in to the games without going through the launcher?

*Edit*
Tried to reinstall it, but it freezes before it can even begin the installation...

Oct 26, 2017
Did Blizzard do something to the launcher? Every time I try to start it my computer completely freezes and I have to restart it. As far as I know it only happen with the B.net launcher, and as it is now I can't play any Blizzard games...

Anyone know of a way to get in to the games without going through the launcher?
I have this issue when sometimes playing in DX12 in game and moving my cursor to any window on another monitor. Have to play on DX11 for it to work fine.

OP
OP
Tachya
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like war mode and think it has more potential than old world pvp. I jumped back in again and have been enjoying it. Incursions puts a neat twist on it as well. If factions are somewhat balanced then it's pretty fun.
Yeah I think war mode has more potential in modern WoW than previous world PvP. It's a step in the right direction, but so far just a step. Kind of sloppily implemented and the excessive phasing/sharding is terrible. No joke, their server tech seems to have been downgraded with the implementation of sharding -- they seem to be able to handle fewer players in one area and just spin up another shard instead. This is a huge problem in having the game world feel lively. I mean, anecdote, but when I can't even see someone on my friendslist on the same server, both with warmode on the same setting, in the same spot, something is seriously wrong. It honestly is probably helping to mask how bad sub numbers really are if I'm being cynical.

I haven't done holidays in game since I unlocked What's a Long, Strange Trip back in Wrath/Cata. The pets etc just aren't enough to get me to log in daily for those, lol.
Yeah, pretty much all the holidays I kinda ignore now for the same reason unless there's something new for a given year, even then it's usually not worth it. I get why they don't do big revamps or add too much at one time, since people that might not have done the holidays before still have a lot to do in any given annual holiday. Would be nice if they added brand new holidays maybe -- the micro-holidays are okay, but there's no lasting rewards for those since they only last a couple days at most.

uhh... why would they stop having this?
FUN DETECTED.

But seriously, this is another case of "you're not playing the way WE want you to play."

But they've retracted it for now, while they have further internal discussions or whatever.

OP
OP
Tachya
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and sorry for not updating the OP any time recently, but people still reading the thread at this point probably don't need up to date information there (you know where to go for it). Might update when 8.2 drops lol -- probably more to change then anyway.

But I've been dealing with some personal things, usually still read the Discord daily though if not post there.

Oct 25, 2017
Are the LFR versions of Legion raids soloable/worth doing, up to Antorus? If they bothered putting NPCs for that in 8.1, I assume yes? I might be tempted to do them to get some sets, but if we get like 1 item per boss(like the last time I tried to do normal Emerald Nightmare in 8.0), I think I'll just forget about it.

Edit : Yeah... not really. Tried LFR Antorus, and while I could kill the first boss easily enough with my fury warrior, the 2nd one was impossible.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to lvl up a BE Paladin on the 4 day holiday weekend to get some allied races. My research says that it is no longer the best method to queue up for dungeons. I guess they nerfed them in Legion. I have full heirlooms w/enchants, minus the ring. I'm also enabling war mode for 10% for a total of 55% increased XP. I have 3 of the 300% xp pots as well. I'm hoping for at least 110 so that I can get High Tauren and Nightborne. Not looking forward to the grind rep for Mag'Har Orc.

Oct 27, 2017
Begun Winter's Veil with like 3 toys, did the daily with 7 rerolls for 5 days and now I'm just missing the sled (and the toys that arrives from december 25th).
Good thing the drop rates aren't abysmal, though I'm definitely not farming Grumpus.

Oct 26, 2017
today I had some fun in BFA.
faction invasion in nazmir had a cool bombarding final mission where you start from a badass horde aircraft carrier

the new warfront opened, and although warfronts are kinda dull they are fun enough to do every other week.

OP
OP
Tachya
Oct 25, 2017
The new Darkshore warfront is better than the Arathi one, but it’s still not “good”. There’s some interesting pieces going on, but it’s decidedly less than the sum of its parts.

I think it’s telling when one of the best things I can say about the Darkshore warfront is that it seems to be significantly shorter than the Arathi one.

Though that’s still important to note regardless of the actual content in these - length is rather easy metric to tune.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only buying the winter helmet that is going away because I have $5 blizzard credit that I don't know what else to do.
Edit: I just did the math on that 5 mill gold dinosaur mount. That would cost almost $1000 or buying 50 tokens at the current token price. Damn!
Edit2: I guess I don't have $5 credit. Never mind then. I bought the $25 celestial steed when it came out and I have always regretted paying $25 for digital item.

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone see this on the Blizz store?

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-us/product/world-of-warcraft-igi-see-you-later

I don't know what to say about this.
I bought it. Cost $33, but I have a huge Blizz balance from gold, so I don't care. I'm a sucker for wanting things that I can no longer get.

Also bought a bunch of store mounts at 50%. Adjusted gold price is still cheaper than some vendor mounts.

If anyone is leveling using Assaults, I am doing it on my toons and got about 300K per invasion with WM on (30%) and the post assault buff. Roughly 1/3 of a level? Pretty sure the XP bonuses don't stack though.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So why should I turn war mode on? Aren’t I just going to get roflstomped while I level?
Great XP bonuses while leveling, rep boost and war resource boosts. Also at max level, there are quests that reward decent 370 gear for killing other players. Mostly it's fun and adds a bit of danger to the world and can turn a boring assault into an organic Tarren Mill. I don't run around all the time in WM, but it's easy enough to switch on and off.

can anyone explain why these digital items would be "retired" anyway??
Disney's Vault. ie: a marketing ploy to create artificial scarcity and drive up numbers before the end of a financial period. Activision probably told Blizz to bump up some WoW numbers to compensate for lost subs, but Blizz doesn't have many ways to pump up cash except through the story. Pretty scummy IMO but par for the course for big gaming companies these days.

Oct 31, 2017
Disney's Vault. ie: a marketing ploy to create artificial scarcity and drive up numbers before the end of a financial period. Activision probably told Blizz to bump up some WoW numbers to compensate for lost subs, but Blizz doesn't have many ways to pump up cash except through the story. Pretty scummy IMO but par for the course for big gaming companies these days.
lol that's really the reason?? I was wondering if there was actually some other legitimate reason

Oct 26, 2017
I bought it. Cost $33, but I have a huge Blizz balance from gold, so I don't care. I'm a sucker for wanting things that I can no longer get.
That’s why they’re doing it, unfortunately.

Didn’t they change how war mode is activated? Don’t you still have to go back to storm wind or can you do it on boralus?

Syf

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you guys have been experiencing world lag issues with looting/abilities since 8.1, I just had a chat with a GM in game and he was porting me around testing things with the server. Sounded like they've identified what's causing it. Hopefully not long til we get a fix

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to finishing the Winter Veil achievements and getting my Violet Proto Drake after nearly a decade. The first year achievements came out, I got all of the holiday ones done except for Brewfest and Winter Veil. The first year of Winter Veil, I didn't do them because I didn't have high enough cooking at the time, and every year after that I never wanted to do the pvp achievement. This year I finally decided to do it. I ended up joining a world pvp group and actually got the pvp achievement done really fast.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/a81e99/activision_now_runs_blizzard_entertainment_there/

Can't believe Brack is the guy who helped kill SWG, that was my favorite MMO.
There is one thing in that post I take strong issue with: The idea that the original implementation of Jedi was in any way good. They literally ran out of time trying to get it into the game in any actually interesting way, and at the very last minute slapped the "grind out as much xp as possible across almost every possible skill" holocron mechanic. It was lame.

Oct 25, 2017
So why should I turn war mode on? Aren’t I just going to get roflstomped while I level?
My Alliance alts get +30% from War mode(because there isn't enough of us compared to Horde) and I'm not getting ganked that much. I think my paladin got killed like twice in Drustvar between lvl 117 and 120. And my lower lvl alts encounter even less people. It's not like there are lvl 120s all over the place. So it's definitely worth it.
Maybe just avoid neutral zones/regions where you might encounter more of the opposing faction if you can, like when i took my lvl 84 rogue to Krasarang Wilds after I was done with south Jade Forest, since there was most likely more Horde north.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/a81e99/activision_now_runs_blizzard_entertainment_there/

Can't believe Brack is the guy who helped kill SWG, that was my favorite MMO.
Read the first comment (not blaming you, the comment is newer than when you psoted the link).

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/commen...ow_runs_blizzard_entertainment_there/ec9o2em/

Hi,

I am locking this thread for 1) the toxic shitshow it has turned into in the comments 2) the amount of misinformation found in the OP, in an attempt to stop its spreading and the defamation.

I'll use this opportunity to also link to these comments from Raph Koster (whose identity has been confirmed by the mod team) who commented on this thread, debunking a good portion of the false accusations that are in the OP about J. Allen Brack.

• J not only did not do the NGE, he insisted it was the wrong thing to do, and left SOE over it.
    This entire theory is incorrect.
  • I posted some of this in a thread, but I don't think anyone will see it there. I was the original creative director of SWG, in case anyone wants to check my bonafides.
    J did not do the SWG NGE. In fact he objected loudly to it. He stood on principle that it was wrong and unfair to the players, and he and SOE parted ways over it.
    He was a producer on SWG from the team's founding. In fact, he came over from Origin with the rest of the original team, where we had all worked together on a cancelled version of Privateer Online. J was never a designer, either. So he did not "design the CU" or NGE, nor were they his idea.
    FWIW, J has been a producer on WoW since before the first expansion. Every expansion you liked had him working on it. (So did all the ones you didn't ;) ).

Oct 26, 2017
Been doing a bit of warmode. It's nice for the bonus but then you get these clowns that camp you. So I just turn it off. What's funny is my hunter is only 116 (up from 114 when I turned on warmode) and I keep fucking these 120s up. So they get salty and grab a whole grip of people to come kill me. It's fun like the first two times. But then it's like "Guys, do something else." Maybe they're just embarrassed they got wrecked by a low level. I dunno.

Oct 26, 2017
not much of a Taliesin fan but the subject very much interests me

For the record I made a post back on Gaf (I think? I know I wrote it down somewhere) about a tinker class with all 3 specs, using bots/turrets for dps and healing, and a mechsuit for tanking :p

Oct 26, 2017
You guys have a good suggestion for alliance realms? Somebody was suggesting to go with a pvp realm (even though they don’t exist anymore) because those people would be willing to do war mode more often. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Tachya
Oct 25, 2017
You guys have a good suggestion for alliance realms? Somebody was suggesting to go with a pvp realm (even though they don’t exist anymore) because those people would be willing to do war mode more often. Thoughts?
For NA realms at least I’d do Stormrage or Sargeras. I think Frostmourne would be the OCE realm to be on. Not sure about EU without looking stuff up.

Personally I’ve had characters on both of those first two, but I currently have slightly more invested in Sargeras right now. Stormrage and Sargeras are more or less interchangeable for Alliance.

But I primarily play/have played Horde since I started around early Wrath.