World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth|OT| War Mode Enabled!

Maintenance

Oct 25, 2017
So, any bets on how long before folks turn on classic and quit?

I give it 3 weeks.
Most bandwagoners won't get past level 20 or 30, that's for sure.

I know I'll ride that train until 60 at least, then it will be a matter of "can I find a guild / are my friends still playing" or not.

If you're expecting those that have played classic on private servers to turn on it you're not going to like the outcome.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I give it 3 weeks.
It was absolutely amazing in my demo how much a misremembered about vanilla WoW. The relevant bits from my preview:

I rolled up a level 40 Shaman, one of my characters after I left the naive days of Night Elf Hunter-dom behind. I was prepared to jump right back into Enhancement, my Shaman specialization of choice. I purchased some fist weapons with the meager gold Blizzard gave us, learned the correct weapon skills, and opened the talent tree to customize the spec like I remembered it. But... where was the Dual Wielding talent that would allow me to use both of the fist weapons I bought? A quick Google set me straight: Enhancement Shaman didn't get Dual Wield until the opening patch of Burning Crusade. All that gold, wasted. Goddamn it.
Since I'm level 40, I figure I should see what questing is like. I'm in Orgrimmar and my vague memory tells me that the correct level of quests should be available in Desolace. Blizzard has helpfully given us all the flight paths, so I hop on a Wind Rider for Nijel's Point in Desolace. I figure it'll take me a couple of minutes at most, but no... it takes forever. I'd hazard it was more than 10 minutes; enough time for me to get up, go do an interview, and come back.
I didn't find the content much harder overall; I wouldn't say modern WoW feels any easier, there's just a bit more prep time in Classic. This version of Shaman features a ton of different totems, each as their own spell. There was no Totem Bar—that didn't come until Patch 3.2—and no Totemic Recall. This meant, that errant surviving totems could actually pull aggro on their own, bringing the pain down upon me. And I needed to drink to regain mana every few encounters.
The fuzziness of what changed where is going to be the thing that gets most people. And how long it takes to get anywhere.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
That flight path thing is hilarious, given that they at least should be glad that it's based on 1.12 which introduced linked flight paths, not earlier iteration where you had to complete each stage of flight individually.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

I give it 3 weeks.
Geez still with that? How about a bet for when the infatuation will stop. Isn't there a new patch coming out for BFA to grab your interest beyond the apparently unprecedentedly, unpredictable and somehow surprising realization that a launched consumer product aimed at hundreds of thousands will be disliked by portion of those that try/buy it with initial expectations of enjoyment? <shocked face>

Been almost 2 years since it was announced. Thought people would have gotten over that pettiness by now.

Lashley

Oct 25, 2017
Geez still with that? How about a bet for when the infatuation will stop. Isn't there a new patch coming out for BFA to grab your interest beyond the apparently unprecedentedly, unpredictable and somehow surprising realization that a launched consumer product aimed at hundreds of thousands will be disliked by portion of those that try/buy it with initial expectations of enjoyment? <shocked face>

Been almost 2 years since it was announced. Thought people would have gotten over that pettiness by now.
Why so touchy?

Maintenance

Oct 25, 2017
Ion / Brack saying that Blizzard are open to the possibility of TBC / WOTLK servers made me all fuzzy inside, even though I know that's probably never going to happen.

Some people will never stop, you just gotta move on and let it go / ignore it.

Last edited:

Nora

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with Classic I'm most curious about is what happens after all the content has dropped? Like, nostalgia aside, what kind of live game/MMO has a long, healthy life left after it basically stops updating itself after a year of content? I can't imagine people sticking with it for very long after that point, knowing that nothing else is coming. I think they should do TBC/WOTLK servers, and let you transfer your character to those from classic if you want.

It seems like a very expensive project for Blizzard for something that, it seems to me, will probably lose its luster after 1-2 years.

Maintenance

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see Classic as an expensive project, and right now it gives Blizzard something that they really need: goodwill.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The thing with Classic I'm most curious about is what happens after all the content has dropped? Like, nostalgia aside, what kind of live game/MMO has a long, healthy life left after it basically stops updating itself after a year of content? I can't imagine people sticking with it for very long after that point, knowing that nothing else is coming. I think they should do TBC/WOTLK servers, and let you transfer your character to those from classic if you want.

It seems like a very expensive project for Blizzard for something that, it seems to me, will probably lose its luster after 1-2 years.
It’s more likely than not that after three years, Blizzard will just open a new server and people will go through the whole process all over again.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I expect if Classic's successful; allow a one-way transfer to the next generation of classic, while continuing to maintain the old version in a stable perpetual 'complete' state.

Curious if they do do that, how they'd go about handling the preexpansion event; for completeness you'd really want that as well, but that'd require being able to join the server in a state before the content has opened to do it strictly accurately, effectively a 2.0-before-the-release-of-TBC server.

Berordn

Oct 26, 2017
Orlando, FL
Ion / Brack saying that Blizzard are open to the possibility of TBC / WOTLK servers made me all fuzzy inside, even though I know that's probably never going to happen.
I'm sure it will eventually, with the option to do a one-way transfer, either by starting a separate product or adding it into classic on certain servers. It has to be something they've explored, given how people feel about Wrath especially.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Classic in its time, but you couldn't pay me to go back to it as it was.

It was incredible and full of so many gaming firsts and amazing moments for me and I've been gaming since the early 80s. But I could never go back and recreate that sense of wonder but that's ok. Things change.

Maintenance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even a Horde player but I'll miss Thrall if they kill him.

If the one to do that is Sylvanas, even more. Fuck her.

----

I can't stand the (new, revamped?) faction leaders post-WOTLK. I find it funny that something that has no direct effect on my character (leaders) still is so valuable to me.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I remember there being a: "leak" for 8.3 and can anyone confirm if I'm just going crazy or not:

The idea was that in 8.3 after the removal of Sylvanas from Warchief that during a peace meeting the Alliance would royally screw up and then the war would get a lot worse.

Am I crazy or was that totally a thing that was leaked?

Milo Rambaldi

Nov 11, 2017
Florida
I just angry Tweeted the Warcraft twitter. Like it’s enough to actually make me angry enough to complain to someone.

I know it will do nothing but I just felt like I had to.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
real 8.3 leaks: Sylvanas gets sent to space jail (on loan from the lightforged) for 9 million years. While the alliance and horde leaders are celebrating, Tyrande murders Thrall because the sound of the Stormwind bells is just too much. Jaina gets really mad that the guy she had a crush on but never dated is now dead and becomes the new leader of the Forsaken, because she feels forsaken by love.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
real 8.3 leaks: Sylvanas gets sent to space jail (on loan from the lightforged) for 9 million years. While the alliance and horde leaders are celebrating, Tyrande murders Thrall because the sound of the Stormwind bells is just too much. Jaina gets really mad that the guy she had a crush on but never dated is now dead and becomes the new leader of the Forsaken, because she feels forsaken by love.
Hm...

Sounds legit.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know what you guys dislike about that cinematic. The story of this expansion has been largely obvious for some time. The sooner you stop pining for the story that YOU wanted and accept the one that is, the sooner you will stop being disappointed.

Anduin elopes with Baine in 8.3! DO IT!

Milo Rambaldi

Nov 11, 2017
Florida
So it’s not gonna be this but what if was the Desolate Council trying to stir shit up. They had to be introduced in that damn book for a reason.

Don't know what you guys dislike about that cinematic. The story of this expansion has been largely obvious for some time. The sooner you stop pining for the story that YOU wanted and accept the one that is, the sooner you will stop being disappointed.

Cute.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
So I remember there being a: "leak" for 8.3 and can anyone confirm if I'm just going crazy or not:

The idea was that in 8.3 after the removal of Sylvanas from Warchief that during a peace meeting the Alliance would royally screw up and then the war would get a lot worse.

I haven't seen anything like that at all, but I hope it's true. I'm tired of the wars just lasting an expansion or two, make it a loooong war, so that when we eventually reach a peace it actually has some impact. Now it's just like someone is tapping the warmode ON and OFF switch randomly.

Berordn

Oct 26, 2017
Orlando, FL

The cinematic is fine, it's just getting old for them to say "the story's not what you expect!" and then do exactly what we expect.

Sylvanas is a bad actor in this conflict and will be deposed by the end of the expansion. Baine or Saurfang will reunite the Horde. The Alliance's internal tension is continuing to build and that will make long-term peace impossible.

At this point Blizzard just needs to shut up and just get the story over with rather than tell us that "despite looking and quacking like MoP 2.0, it's totally not."

Milo Rambaldi

Nov 11, 2017
Florida
I’d assume it would be before launch but it seems to be a gear store exclusive so idk. I’m just glad I was able to get mine when it was announced. Good luck!

Maintenance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly tired of pointless faction wars. I know it is in the name but fuck it, I'm just tired.

Give me the void lords instead, I know some will just say "meh more evil space aliens" but I'll take that over more faction bullshit. I don't care about the factions enough to give a shit anymore, not with those leaders.

It liked it once, many moons ago. Not anymore.

Last edited:

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area

Sounds pretty legit. My thought is that despite the front of working together from Jaina and Genn, they're going to double cross the Horde and bomb Thunder Bluff or Silvermoon.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
So Thrall has abandoned the Elements and is just a Warrior now huh?
In what must be one of the dumbest sto
I haven't seen anything like that at all, but I hope it's true. I'm tired of the wars just lasting an expansion or two, make it a loooong war, so that when we eventually reach a peace it actually has some impact. Now it's just like someone is tapping the warmode ON and OFF switch randomly.
That’s because literally every expansion we get a talk about ‘putting the war back into warcraft’. And every time it fails because actually players don’t seem to want it. People want to be beating demons and lich kings and other monsters. Not some bizarrely overpowered giant version of Jaina.

Blizzard routinely spasms between ‘save the world’ and ‘fight the other guys’. They’ve never managed to make the latter work as an overarching storyline or motivator, and yet they keep tilting at that windmill.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Loved the cinematic. Really getting me excited for 8.2 and to see where the story goes in 8.3 and beyond. I love not knowing what the "Argus" of this expansion is yet. I feel like they have some really cool stuff in store for us.