• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on buying and resubbing but I'm afraid I'd be burnt out by the time classic arrives.

I've never done a raid in WoW and only played at a casual solo fun level.

Worth it to play right now ? Lot of folks told me don't go near WoW right now.

So many vocal WoW fans who actively pile on the game these days. IDK. Legion and BFA are my favourite two expansions overall, 1 and 2 respectively. There's so much to like and do. People focus so much on a system or two that didn't work. Min maxers and raiders especially. I've always had fun with the Azerite system and thought it was neat even if it isn't perfect but you often see people lambasting it as the worst thing to ever happen to the game.

BFA is also amazing for its storytelling, art, visuals, sound and music and characters, all non gameplay stuff that gets forgotten and undervalued all the time.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So, why are people down on BFA?
Class design taking a step back, the azerite systems generally being a bust, islands and warfronts being a general bore, and professions being more pointless than ever compound into a lackluster experience.

Questing, raids and such are all still fine and BFA still has a chance to turn things around, but it's easy to be down on it right now. It's probably not the lowest point the game has ever been at, but it is pretty hard to get excited to play once you've done everything once.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
So, why are people down on BFA?

An expansion is generally judged on its new systems. Legion won because Artifact Weapons were cool, Order Halls were great, and World Quests were better than dailies. BFA's biggest issues are in those new systems:

• Azerite armor system is entirely too random and not satisfying.
  • Island Expeditions are repetitive
  • Warfronts require no strategy or real competition
  • Allied Race grinding is juuuuust a bit too long if you want to unlock all of them and the Heritage Armor
  • Sylvanas' turn feels like Garrosh 2.0
Honestly, BFA isn't as bad as Warlords by any stretch, but it was just after Legion, which was great. Comparison issues.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I don't get why Blizzard has such a hard time carrying things that worked in one expansion into the next one.

apparently they created a problem for themselves that didn't actually exist so they wanted to make sure it never occured by removing systems. There was an article recently where they said they realized this and going forward they'll "deal with the messiness" and allow systems to continue through other expansions.

Now, what this actually means in practice is one thing but it sounds like they may finally get it. It's too late for BFA (in the sense that they cannot bring back the artifact progression from Legion which the majority of players preferred) but going forward it sounds like they won't be so quick to just simply remove things.

Ion Hazzikostas said:
At the same time, I think we've likely been leaning a bit too far in that direction. We've been burned, without question, by adding systems and feeling the burden of layered systems that need to be maintained going forward in terms of complexity and balance, and just in terms of what goes into making the game. But that doesn't mean that players don't still want cool new things as they increase their character's level, as they go into new worlds, as they enter new expansions. We need to be more willing than we have been in the last couple of years and expansions to make permanent additions to the game and accept that, yes, there will be some untidiness down the road but it'll be worth it because it's exciting for players. People want that out of an MMO, they want an RPG as you're adventuring and progressing and gaining new things.

Full Article

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Class design taking a step back, the azerite systems generally being a bust, islands and warfronts being a general bore, and professions being more pointless than ever compound into a lackluster experience.

Questing, raids and such are all still fine and BFA still has a chance to turn things around, but it's easy to be down on it right now. It's probably not the lowest point the game has ever been at, but it is pretty hard to get excited to play once you've done everything once.
An expansion is generally judged on its new systems. Legion won because Artifact Weapons were cool, Order Halls were great, and World Quests were better than dailies. BFA's biggest issues are in those new systems:

• Allied Race grinding is juuuuust a bit too long if you want to unlock all of them and the Heritage Armor
Honestly, BFA isn't as bad as Warlords by any stretch, but it was just after Legion, which was great. Comparison issues.
Ah makes sense. I hated WoD, garrisons fucking sucked imho.

Also, holy fuck at the prices to upgrade looms.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Also, holy fuck at the prices to upgrade looms.
Is that a good or bad "holy fuck" because I gotta say the original upgrade prices were horrible and I'm glad Blizzard pulled back. It still isn't worth upgrading helm/ shoulders / chest to 120 because of Azurite, but I'm thinking of upgrading weapons, rings, and pants to 120...

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to likely try out Classic just because a lot of my friends are. Going back to it should be easy enough for me since I've used the default UI since Vanilla. Funny thing is I still set the 1 key for all of my characters to auto-attack because that's what is was for new characters in Vanilla and I'm just so used to it.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All of this, but honestly I also didn't enjoy the new zones (Horde side) very much. For me this is the weakest expansion... ever? I even enjoyed WoD more because Draenor was beautiful and the questlines were pretty fun, even if the garrison drained my will to live.

BFA's not awful, but there's nothing in it that stands out for me. It's all just kind of okay. And compounded by an overall story that sucks a lot. I'm excited for 8.2 tho.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Asmongold is definitely a Trump voter. If you don't wanna see his shit in your recommendations (on pc) just click on the little icon on the thumbnail, say you're not interested, and then that you're not interested in the channel. that should do the trick.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Is that a good or bad "holy fuck" because I gotta say the original upgrade prices were horrible and I'm glad Blizzard pulled back. It still isn't worth upgrading helm/ shoulders / chest to 120 because of Azurite, but I'm thinking of upgrading weapons, rings, and pants to 120...
More a shock than good or bad lol

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Did, RAF, friend made an account, downloaded WoW, applied prepaid code, unsure if its working because I cannot summon him to me.

We're both Pandas, is it because we havent picked a faction yet?

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Asmongold can be a prick but at least he does stuff on his streams that can actually be interesting to watch, like the dps and transmog competitions. Seems like every other WoW streamer just does M+ or pvp.

Been watching some Classic streams and it's so satisfying to see the sort of gear people are wearing. It's very nostalgic

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, can't summon my friend

wtf, we did everything right for raf
Stupid question, but you're in a group, right? Summon might not work in certain starting areas that you're not supposed to come back to either, so you might not be able to do it on the Wandering Isle.

Are blood elves on classic wow?
No, they're a BC race. Some High and Blood Elf NPCs exist, but they use a disturbing looking variation of the Night Elf model.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
They did lower the price but it's still rather expensive. I upgraded all the gear including chest, shoulders, and helm and then swapped those the pieces in whenever turning quests and back out while questing. Its so stupid that it's necessary to do that with the heirlooms if you want their full xp bonus.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, but you're in a group, right? Summon might not work in certain starting areas that you're not supposed to come back to either, so you might not be able to do it on the Wandering Isle.

No, they're a BC race. Some High and Blood Elf NPCs exist, but they use a disturbing looking variation of the Night Elf model.
Yes, we're in a group

Going to send a ticket

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
A relatively popular WoW streamer who seems to get angry and has some alt-right tendencies if not outright leanings.
Yeah Asmongold is definitely a Trump voter. If you don't wanna see his shit in your recommendations (on pc) just click on the little icon on the thumbnail, say you're not interested, and then that you're not interested in the channel. that should do the trick.
I was watching the highlight of him clearing Deadmines and getting over 100k viewers, and The Quartering donated to him and Asmon replied back that he loved his videos.

I was like oh you're one of those

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Are blood elves on classic wow?

Nope. And given that my main is a Blood Elf Paladin, that's one of my issues with Classic. It's not BC. Even then, there's a host of quality-of-life features I'd miss.

For example, I wanted to run Ragefire Chasm in the Classic beta. In live, I'd just queue up for it. In Classic, I say in chat, "LFG for Ragefire Chasm". Wait. 15 minutes later, I try again. Repeat three times. Nothing. I give up and continue questing. And it's not like the groups I have been in are deep fonts of connection and friendship. It's just a group.

Give and take.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I was watching the highlight of him clearing Deadmines and getting over 100k viewers, and The Quartering donated to him and Asmon replied back that he loved his videos.

I was like oh you're one of those

So...an Alt-Right sympathiser? Cool, thanks for recommending me his videos without me ever having watched them, Youtube. Very cool.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...an Alt-Right sympathiser? Cool, thanks for recommending me his videos without me ever having watched them, Youtube. Very cool.

Did you really expect anything else? Like it or not, Classic is going to be full of them, I've lost count of how many "make wow great again" shit I've seen when looking for info.

It is the nature of the beast, unfortunately.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My exposure to WoW Classic will likely be watching streams + getting a character to level 7, realizing the game was in-fact as much of chore to play for hybrid classes as I remember, and then going back to BFA.

The footage of the beta is certainly tickling my nostalgia bone but peak WoW for me was WOTLK, Vanilla is going too far back.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really expect anything else? Like it or not, Classic is going to be full of them, I've lost count of how many "make wow great again" shit I've seen when looking for info.

Their guild is literally called "Make Azeroth Great Again" and every streamer is in it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Their guild is literally called "Make Azeroth Great Again" and every streamer is in it.

I mean, hey, if the alt-right sector of the WoW community wants to quarantine themselves in WoW Classic and ditches the main game...I can't say I'll be upset about that.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
One of his videos came up on my playlist the other day, and within 2 minutes the way he verbally stated that he didn't like something was to say "that sucks dick".

I mean holy shit, I don't think I've heard that form of critique since I was in middle school 30 years ago.

Anyway, that was enough for me. Not surprised.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's like Aris (rude Tekken streamer who used to be a sexist asshole but more or less cleaned up his act) except not funny at all and actually a huge idiot. I'm baffled at his popularity

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
If Allied Races weren't gated like they are behind a month's rep grinding, I'd resub. I'd love to play a Zandalari, but I don't even have a horde character atm. As it stands, I won't resub until Classic.

Really, Blizzard, what were you thinking? Imagine if Blood Elves were locked behind Silvermoon or Scryer reputation at TBC release. Kind of ruins a major selling point of the expansion.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
If Allied Races weren't gated like they are behind a month's rep grinding, I'd resub. I'd love to play a Zandalari, but I don't even have a horde character atm. As it stands, I won't resub until Classic.

Really, Blizzard, what were you thinking? Imagine if Blood Elves were locked behind Silvermoon or Scryer reputation at TBC release. Kind of ruins a major selling point of the expansion.

Husband is 3K away from unlocking Zando's and there's literally nothing he can do to grind rep. He has to wait for emissaries and assaults.

Okay, technically, there's a repeatable turn in for Jani that you can buy from doing islands but you have to do roughly 10 to get one item that's worth 250 rep. lol. no. It's insane. He wants to put in the work for them but he can't since they decided that if you want them then you just have to wait for them.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Husband is 3K away from unlocking Zando's and there's literally nothing he can do to grind rep. He has to wait for emissaries and assaults.

Okay, technically, there's a repeatable turn in for Jani that you can buy from doing islands but you have to do roughly 10 to get one item that's worth 250 rep. lol. no. It's insane. He wants to put in the work for them but he can't since they decided that if you want them then you just have to wait for them.

I feel especially sorry for anyone who didn't play Legion but wants to unlock Void Elves or Lightforged. It's shockingly bad design... so par for modern Blizzard's course.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I feel especially sorry for anyone who didn't play Legion but wants to unlock Void Elves or Lightforged. It's shockingly bad design... so par for modern Blizzard's course.

I don't think all of Blizzard's design decisions are all bad. I just think they knew with BFA/Allied Races people were going to burn out of 8.0/8.1 content relatively quickly and doubled down on timegating as an effort to keep people subbed for a "reward" instead of cancelling. I don't think it worked.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Void Elves would literally make me play Alliance seriously for the first time ever but there's no fuckin' way I'm gonna grind Legion content for hours and hours. Very unfortunate decision. Hopefully at some point they smarten up and realize no one wants to do this.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Void Elves would literally make me play Alliance seriously for the first time ever but there's no fuckin' way I'm gonna grind Legion content for hours and hours. Very unfortunate decision. Hopefully at some point they smarten up and realize no one wants to do this.

Since they've already doubled the WQ experience for "Legion" allied races (quotes because of the whole "announced with BFA thing") I honestly expect them to offer them as a paid unlock on the store in the future.

And honestly if it were like $10 each or something? Shut up and take the money. Like I know my dude would most definitely drop the cash over having to grind anymore.

Hell, he'd probably pay a little more than that if I'm being honest.

Deleted member 203

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel about Blizzard locking allied races behind shitty grinds and later going "okay you can pay money to bypass the shitty grind now". That feels like a really manipulative bait-and-switch tactic. I think they should just relax the requirements or drop them entirely when the content is no longer current. I don't know what's gained, other than money obviously, by making them exclusive. It's not like I see a Void Elf and go "wow so prestigious!". I just go "man I wish it wasn't so shitty to unlock them rn".

Status
Not open for further replies.