• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2018
DH is super fun for leveling and a great tank. Can't really go wrong with it unless you like a more involved rotation.

I love my DH and DK because you just feel so damn powerful when you're playing them. It's a satisfying, visceral experience, and it doesn't hurt that they both look like they'll be really strong in BFA. If only they weren't so edgelord-y...

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC died earlier this week, so I am building a pretty hefty gaming PC just in time for BFA release.

As always, if you're US and in CST/EST timezones, add me on BNET so we can group up and punch dragons.

Mitch#1242

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
You just need to hit lv 110 to start the pre-patch event. Leveling through Legion is fast, specially if you use the invasions (although without the group finder auto-feature, it may not be as easy as a few days ago). If you start now you'll get your mount.
If you're talking about the War of Thorns ones, If you're 110 it should only take an hour or so to go through the questline. The quest should pop up when you log in, telling you to talk to the Warchief. Pretty sure doing it on one faction unlocks both, as I did it on my Horde Druid, then swapped to my Alliance Shaman and when I finished the quest, the mount reward said I already had it.

BfA should give you a 110 boost, if you want to use that to get it quick. You can boost allied races, but won't get the racial armour if you don't level 20-110 normally.

Ah thanks. Is the mount account-wide or just character? Thinking of boosting to grab it to avoid the need to level in time if it also is available to use on other characters.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Got my 3 110s parked and waiting for BFA. DH alliance will be first to 120. The class is such stupid fun.

Until then I'm leveling a lowbie shaman, got to level 25 after 6 1/2 hours so far. Its a lot of fun in heirloom gear and I'm playing a bit of each spec in dungeons. Also happy to discover that I could transmog my dwarf into T1 earthfury gear already. I'll eventually race change this one, or buy a boost depending on what I get this one to until then, into a dark iron dwarf (along with my paladin).

I also installed my first mods thanks to Bellulars video. So I'm using the GW2 UI and the Immersion mods. Both are incredible and I love them. Feels like I'm playing a new game, they really are impressive. Immersion is just fantastic and now I'm actually reading and caring about the story.

Anyone taking time off next week for BFA? I booked Thursday and Friday off to get a long weekend and to try and avoid any technical launch issues.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
So close! Feels like it's taken forever for this expansion to come out.

My Paladin is ready.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I love my DH and DK because you just feel so damn powerful when you're playing them. It's a satisfying, visceral experience, and it doesn't hurt that they both look like they'll be really strong in BFA. If only they weren't so edgelord-y...

I main DK as well and it will be the first thing I level next week, unfortunately Unholy just got the nerf-bat pretty hard which kind of killed it. Frost is middle of the pack-ish but at least Blood is still strong. S T O K E D for next week.

So close! Feels like it's taken forever for this expansion to come out.

Man, Legion has felt like the longest expansion ever, even if it may not have been.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really going to miss Legion, it's been such a massive upgrade over WoD for me. MoP and WotLK were always close to even in my eyes, but I think legion will ultimately be my favorite expansion. Like every expansion it has its negatives, but they really nailed it with the new additions for every type of player (eg world quests to mythic dungeons).

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I am very excited because I think Legion is the best wow has ever been. I hope the warfronts and islands are fun but honestly just the features they keep from Legion would have been enough.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
How are feral druids right now? I might jump back in, I'll have to check with my friends. I did some Legion stuff at launch but no raids or anything. My gear is probably a tad out of date. Also will I get to keep my artifact weapon druid forms cause I got the feather of the moonspirit.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely excited overall. Class balance might not be at its best right now but I'm happy enough with class design, which is much more important. Demo and Survival are actually fun to play now, which is a big step up from Legion. I am a little concerned about Azerite armor- it seems fun enough in a vacuum, but as it's essentially a single, relatively simple system replacing 3 existing systems (armor sets, legendary items, and artifact weapons) I am worried that the max level itemization will feel a bit bland or shallow compared to where it was in Legion. I will hopefully be wrong about that though.

Also Sylvanas is a fucking mess but the alliance is still a bunch of dweebs so I'm still Horde 4 lyfe

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, nobody I've been running into is flagged for War Mode.

World PvP just isn't.

It just isn't.
When you're out and in the world, war mode puts you in an instance with others who share the same status as you.

If you have War Mode disabled you'll only see people who also have it disabled.

Enabled and you only see people with it enabled.

I see a ton of people with it enabled.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
PC died earlier this week, so I am building a pretty hefty gaming PC just in time for BFA release.

As always, if you're US and in CST/EST timezones, add me on BNET so we can group up and punch dragons.

Mitch#1242
But we don't punch dragons in bfa

We punch Kul'Tirans

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

RIP WQ Lists, you were relevant for 2 weeks.

WTF is their problem with making grouping easier in a MULTIPLAYER game!? I'm already terrified at the thought of Argus being dead from next week, making it hard enough to find groups for invasion points as it is. But now another nerf to group finder addons renders it all fubar. Going to have to wait until I hit 120 to continue the allied race rep grind solo I guess. Sometimes I hate this game. Argus is one of the worst zones they've ever created mechanically and visually (way too much visually fighting for your attention, and the colour scheme is a mess, even though the backdrops are gorgeous), the rep grind is ridiculously time gated, and now they make it even harder by nerfing group tools in an MMO. Grrrrrr.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys plan on maining this expansion? I was thinking about my hunter again because I love taming new pets, but the Demonology Warlock plays so good now I think I'm leaning that way.

My human Paladin, the same character I've been maining for the last 13 years :) It's tradition I break in every expansion with him first, no matter how good or bad Paladins are at the time, then move on to my alts.

Sadly, nobody I've been running into is flagged for War Mode.

World PvP just isn't.

It just isn't.

World PvP basically died with vanilla and has never recovered, it's like a switch flipped. Though you could argue it started to die when Blizz introduced Battlegrounds, it was 1.12 that really signaled the end of that era of WoW's PvP. I genuinely think the only place you're likely to find a decently healthy community for it will be on the WoW Classic servers.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
World PvP basically died with vanilla and has never recovered, it's like a switch flipped. Though you could argue it started to die when Blizz introduced Battlegrounds, it was 1.12 that really signaled the end of that era of WoW's PvP. I genuinely think the only place you're likely to find a decently healthy community for it will be on the WoW Classic servers.

I understand where you're coming from, but that hasn't been my experience. There have been many servers, at least through MoP, where WPvP existed plentifully; it's basically all I played for, besides doing arena for elite transmogs.

WoD and Legion certainly had drastic negative impacts on that, partially because their class design has been extraordinarily shallow, but TBC-MoP had great WPvP, with a small dip in Cataclysm because guards were overpowered, so you had to be... cautious.

I'm hoping War Mode is able to revitalize it, but it'll be an uphill battle, and dependent on class design improving, such that PvP is enjoyable at all—which it wasn't in Legion, and we saw that in its historically low PvP participation in both casual and rated. Legendaries being removed will already be a huge improvement, since that made Legion's WPvP nigh unplayable, but it would also be nice if they found a way to reimplement the World Defense notification channel in a way that reconciled with phasing.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My human Paladin, the same character I've been maining for the last 13 years :) It's tradition I break in every expansion with him first, no matter how good or bad Paladins are at the time, then move on to my alts.

I'm going back to my Pally after maining a DH last expansion. As for wPvP, it pretty much died in 1.5 when BGs first showed up. Once you could queue from anywhere almost no one bothered to wPvP. Don't remember when that was.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
I understand where you're coming from, but that hasn't been my experience. There have been many servers, at least through MoP, where WPvP existed plentifully; it's basically all I played for, besides doing arena for elite transmogs.
Theres been world pvp all along but you had to look for it. The reason in Vanilla fighting happened all the time was because the entire playerbase was locked into just two continents with ground mounts and flight paths.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Theres been world pvp all along but you had to look for it. The reason in Vanilla fighting happened all the time was because the entire playerbase was locked into just two continents with ground mounts and flight paths.

And it was just the only form of PvP at all.

From my experience, I would say WotLK and MoP have been the best WPvP expansions. WotLK's world defense and server communities were fantastic, although it introduced dungeon teleportation, which ruined summoning stone PvP. MoP had so many WPvP hot spots it was a paradise, with Timeless Isle being better than even Quel'Danas.

I thought for sure Legion would be because of WQs—which should be great for it—but its legendary system and simplistic class design made it one of the worst. Here's hoping BFA is better.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
What do you guys plan on maining this expansion? I was thinking about my hunter again because I love taming new pets, but the Demonology Warlock plays so good now I think I'm leaning that way.

Reactivated my account about July 12th. I skipped out at the beginning of the expansion without doing anything. Stopped raiding during last raid in Draenor, in Legion, didn't raid, did one heroic dungeon and did Suramar up to getting the masquerade mask, before quitting. so not far.

Focused on leveling alts through invasions and Suramar rep to unlock Nightborne since coming back. 15 (12 Alliance all classes, 3 Horde H,Rog,DH) characters at 110. Restored my second hunter I made during BC that was sitting at 90, boosted to 110, faction transferred to horde, since my guild apparently started playing horde side as well while I was gone.

Demon Hunter Vengeance is a lot of fun, Blood Death Knight old main stay, still good, dunno if I wanna tank raids again after doing it for a decade and they already have established tanks on both sides. Outlaw Rogue is a lot of fun, never much was a fan of melee in raids though. Demo Warlock is a lot of fun but I haven't played a caster, beyond just leveling since BC.

So, it looks like what I'll be doing is what I started WoW with back in December 2004, BM Hunter on both factions this time.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So how do the islands work? There's an alliance island and a horde island and both factions ONLY level on their faction's island?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
War Mode will make world pvp bigger than ever. I already spent hours in darkshore for the air drops. It depends of course on how Air Drops will work in the BFA zones.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
resubbed after 6 years because all of my old wow friends are started playing it. Lets see how long it lasts.

LionelHutz

Mar 3, 2018
So I've played this game on and off over the last 10 years or so, only ever getting to level 40 something with a mage.

I resubbed the other day and have level 14 (aww yeah!) Warrior Orc.

What on earth should I be doing? Just grinding up?

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
So I've played this game on and off over the last 10 years or so, only ever getting to level 40 something with a mage.

Keep chaining quests and moving from zone to zone as you clear them. Don't grind on mobs if they aren't part of a quests, you'll just be wasting time. When you're 15 you should also queue for dungeons as they'll provide better gear and good XP so you can speed up leveling. You'll also start learning how to play in a group so its helpful in the long run. I would also recommend that you level as Fury as a warrior, great spec and lots of fun.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

This is wrong. I've been flagged for pvp and get ganked constantly and that takes 3-4 people usually I'm a guardian druid alliance. It's like a never ending tank fest and since most alliance seemingly run with pvp off I've been considering doing the same. I really don't want to though I've always played on a pvp server

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah just keep playing, questing, etc. to level up to 110 (or 120 this coming week.) There's honestly too much to fully explain in one go to a new player on WHAT to do besides that. Feel free to explore different things. Most of the game really opens up at max level, so that should be your primary goal for now, but don't feel the need to rush if it's your first time through leveling -- you only get to experience it for the first time once ya know.

Don't be afraid to ask specific questions here or elsewhere. Just more general/open-ended ones are harder to answer -- WoW is the archetypal MMO with all that entails, and 14 years of content behind it.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
For the horde!

Curious to see where the story ends up going - not a fan as it stands right now, but maybe, just maybe, Blizz can avoid repeating one of their older stories again.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
And yeah, War Mode is apparently pretty hopping, and we're not even in the new BfA zones yet with flying disabled. Just gotta make sure you turn it on yourself :P

I'm not giving the first post the full treatment like I would for a new game explaining systems and stuff, since I figured most people playing and posting here know where to look to get info on the game (e.g. Wowhead, MMO-Champion). It would be a not-insignificant amount of effort for potentially minimal gain. But since we're in the main forum right now, I should probably flesh out a few more things, especially the FAQ based on stuff I've seen people ask the past day since putting the thread up.

Probably include things like a basic "what do?" guide, recommended addons, etc.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
This might actually be the first WoW expansion I won't buy (at launch atleast). The story doesn't seem all to interesting and the way that blizz has been messing up things like the leveling process and now with the group finder.... I don't know, it's like they haven't got a clue about what they're doing.

Mind you we still have a few days so who knows what might happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.