• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Virdix

Oct 27, 2017
I just found out about the worldwide release on Monday for NA. Looks like I'll be leveling alone since I get home from work 3 hours after launch.

Took Tuesday and Wednesday as vacation expecting the usual.

Planning on sticking with Arms Warrior and I just used my 110 boost on a hunter so that I can have an alt right away. My fault for playing only my warrior in Legion.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah! Bringing back my old main, Kamazhi the Night Elf Monk, for this. Even got art of him.

7CJiS.jpg

BACK TO THE GRIND, BABY.
That art rules!

I had a guild master on Argent Dawn US back in like... WoTLK with that name. He was a Night Elf Druid though, I think.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
6 years is two good expansions and then something in the middle that doesn't count
Something in the middle that was REALLY good except in one very important way, but the way that wod sucked (things to do at max level that aren't raiding) is the exact way that both mop and legion excelled, so not worried.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out about the worldwide release on Monday for NA. Looks like I'll be leveling alone since I get home from work 3 hours after launch.

Took Tuesday and Wednesday as vacation expecting the usual.

Planning on sticking with Arms Warrior and I just used my 110 boost on a hunter so that I can have an alt right away. My fault for playing only my warrior in Legion.

Why Arms? It doesn't play well compared to Fury right now. It is just NOT fun for me in comparison.

May 4, 2018
Something in the middle that was REALLY good except in one very important way, but the way that wod sucked (things to do at max level that aren't raiding) is the exact way that both mop and legion excelled, so not worried.

I left at the beginning of Cata and returned at the end of WoD. For me, WoD was a *fantastic* three months of quality content.

Problem was, WoD wasn't three months for most people.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I left at the beginning of Cata and returned at the end of WoD. For me, WoD was a *fantastic* three months of quality content.

Problem was, WoD wasn't three months for most people.
Wod had great levelling questing, great dungeons, and great raids. It just didn't have anything else. and everything they added was trash besides the raids. I can't actually even remember anything besides Tanaan, which was 'fine' but not even as good as something like isle of thunder.

That said, I think Mop and legion are 2 of the top 3 expansions the game has ever had (and the order of those 3 probably depends on your nostalgia level. I think objectively Mop is the best xpac they've ever made). and wod was a misstep in the middle, but was still VERY strong in the areas it was strong in. The raids and dungeons in wod were great, it's a shame M+ didn't exist yet since you just did CMs and then were done.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm currently working on the Tome of the Lost Legion questline on my level 95 Warlock. Having a blast, and I'm also avoiding spoilers, but I was in the Black Temple and had completed about 5-6 steps in that scenario before a server shutdown forced me to bail out. I guess it'll reset and I'll have to re-do all of that scenario... but that's OK. It should be much easier/faster the second time through.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this xpac is good. Legion was awesome.

Yeah, I think it has lots of potential. There's not as many "game changing" features as Legion but I think they've made some smart improvements on the stuff that didnt work out in Legion and the launch content seems quite good. Hopefully they'll be able to deliver some good patch content.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I think I'm just over what wow is anymore. Ive played since vanilla and I mean, the past 3 expacs I get to level cap, grind a little, do raid finder then I'm bored as all hell. Honestly the most fun ive had with wow since cata was...playing on the vanilla private (elysium i think?) server. I believe I'll wait for vanilla to release unless this xpac gets insane praise from a few people I used to run with.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is there a site taht lists like "the best" elvui setups with strings so you can just import and see if any tickles your fancy?

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I think I'm just over what wow is anymore. Ive played since vanilla and I mean, the past 3 expacs I get to level cap, grind a little, do raid finder then I'm bored as all hell. Honestly the most fun ive had with wow since cata was...playing on the vanilla private (elysium i think?) server. I believe I'll wait for vanilla to release unless this xpac gets insane praise from a few people I used to run with.

Well if you're not pushing content, then yeah you'll get bored. LFR is NOT a raid substitute, and the other stuff you mentioned is sort of "complete once and done".

Have you tried Mythic+ dungeons?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Well if you're not pushing content, then yeah you'll get bored. LFR is NOT a raid substitute, and the other stuff you mentioned is sort of "complete once and done".

Have you tried Mythic+ dungeons?

Not yet. You are probably right. I need to find a good crew. My old wow friends never get to play together due to work schedules conflicting. Maybe I should find some people and give it a go

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure if people join the discord and in game communities, people who need to find mythic groups will be capable of it. People just need to sign up!

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
My major enjoyment died when Nevermore died in Cataclysm and I haven't found a good guild since.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
shouldn't you only ever run into people flagged for War Mode, when in War mode? you're in different instances aren't you?

I've seen "orange" text names in and around neutral hubs before I flagged myself for War Mode. I assumed I would see them as Red-text if I flagged myself for War Mode?

I honestly don't know how it works at this point. Maybe it's a bug?

Phasing has always been weird in WoW.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If anyone wants to add my battletag for later content like Mythics and shit it's Hpunch12#1146 My two mains are Alliance but I will have two max level Horde Shaman/Warrior but Holy Paladin and Huntard will both be Alliance Mains.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen "orange" text names in and around neutral hubs before I flagged myself for War Mode. I assumed I would see them as Red-text if I flagged myself for War Mode?

I honestly don't know how it works at this point. Maybe it's a bug?

Phasing has always been weird in WoW.

The way it works is through WoW's server shard tech. When you have war mode off, you are placed on a shard that only has other players that have war mode turned off.

When you have war mode on, you are placed on a shard that only has other players that have war mode turned on, and will be able to PvP with the opposing faction.

This means, for example, that if you have war mode on, and are in a party with someone who has it off, you will not be able to see each other (outside of cities / instances) because you are on separate shards.

Edit: Servers as they used to be mean very little these days, WoW creates 'synthetic' zones to optimize the number of people within them so that there aren't too many or too few. It can even draw players from other servers to appear in the zone.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The way it works is through WoW's server shard tech. When you have war mode off, you are placed on a shard that only has other players that have war mode turned off.

When you have war mode on, you are placed on a shard that only has other players that have war mode turned on, and will be able to PvP with the opposing faction.

This means, for example, that if you have war mode on, and are in a party with someone who has it off, you will not be able to see each other (outside of cities / instances) because you are on separate shards.

I'll have to test it out tonight.

I wasn't seeing anyone near the world bosses last night. i was looking for locations where people would most likely be PvPing.

I guess everyone is just farming World Quests in Darkshore and/or the Horde place right now? (Tirisfal?)

Clawbvious

Oct 27, 2017
New York
What do you guys plan on maining this expansion? I was thinking about my hunter again because I love taming new pets, but the Demonology Warlock plays so good now I think I'm leaning that way.

Warlock Main for me, although probably in Destro... I just can't get the numbers I want from Demonology in higher keys...

After spending all of Legion in Affliction, it's sort of bittersweet to move to a new spec.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
I'M READY!! Fantastic OT also i couldn't decide what to play but i found it..gonna do Rogue and Warlock for now.

Also for the horde!

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
What do you guys plan on maining this expansion? I was thinking about my hunter again because I love taming new pets, but the Demonology Warlock plays so good now I think I'm leaning that way.

I two box a Paladin and Hunter. Paladin will be Holy Specced when doing actual content like Raids/Mythics but Ret for anything else. Hunter will be BM because it's easier to manage than the other two lol.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is there no way to make the bars disapear when you are out of combat / not targeting something with elvui? I figured out how to make the player or target frames disapear but not the bars.

I want to keep shit clean when im riding around because I tend to move the camera closer to my character when im out of combat.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I was just gonna do my Lock as always... But after leveling up my Demon Hunter this week that is a very fun class. Rotation is pretty simple but damn is the movement fun

Why are people so down on Affliction locks?

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I've mained a Blood Elf Rogue for the past 11 years so I don't really think I'm gonna change it up now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I did change my eye color to gold though!

I'm liking the current state of the burst, it took a hit after 8.0 but should still serve well for leveling and having stealth is always awesome

I wonder how BfA is going to turn out because the recent trend was good expansion-bad expansion-good expansion so now we're in for a bad expansion, but hopefully BfA bucks the trend and great Legion will be followed by at least a decent expansion

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
Looks like they removed the auto accept button from group finder, makes farming mounts more annoying now

Sorry, dumb question: the above was posted in the Hangouts thread - what does this mean and why does it make farming more difficult?

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what I'll be maining. Leaning towards survival hunter. Haven't played hunter since Cata.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Quick Question for Recruit-a-friend.

Had an active friend send me the invite before I resub to take advantage of the promo. When I clicked the link in the email to link our accounts, it created a new WoW2 account under my name. This is a starter version, but I want to use my old account to re-sub which has all the old expansions and my heroes to use. Is Recruit-a-friend only available for brand new players, but not lapsed returning?

There is a drop-down box under my account in the blizzard launcher to let me pick from my normal account and this new WoW2 starter, so I'm just not sure if I have to sub under the brand new one for this promo to work? It is all linked up to my Blizzard log-in right, so will it matter?

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
Sorry, dumb question: the above was posted in the Hangouts thread - what does this mean and why does it make farming more difficult?

Many addons made World Quests really easy so you just approached the zone where the quest were happening and it formed the group and allowed ppl to join you (or made you join other people) automatically thanks to the in-game option of auto-inviting anyone.
That way, you could easily spam world quests, even elite ones in you low-pop realm if you couldn't find anyone or in you high-pop realms because the elite target is always dead. Or just hit/collect some of the quest objectives while the other objectives were being done by other ppl in your same group. Every world quest turned into a mere seconds task.

But now, with auto-invite and auto-create groups disabled, any of these addons will be unusable and thus, making the WQ grind well, more of a grind than ever.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing WoW on day one of Vanilla and even though I don't play everyday like I used to, I'm always back and excited for the start of each expansion. I've hoped they would do a horde vs alliance theme and here we are. I have played both factions equally, but this expansion... For the Horde!!!

Despite the negative reactions to Sylvanas, I find her intriguing. I'm in for the ride to see where this goes. The alliance side of things seems pretty boring. They have the golden boy king. Hell, even Jaina hates the Horde and has gone full alliance. Not much to see on the alliance side, so horde it is.

Nov 2, 2017
After playing a few classes and looking at some of the BFA gear I think I'm going to fully go fury warrior this expansion. The class feels like it got faster from when I semi played it in legion. I only stopped because I kept getting hand cramps from my usually keybind set up. After taking some time to rearrange things it's really smooth for me now. Hopefully it retains the doing meth while drinking redbull speed at 120.

I regret not getting the mage tower skins for fury. Damn monk healing challenge burned me out.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Quick Question for Recruit-a-friend.

Had an active friend send me the invite before I resub to take advantage of the promo. When I clicked the link in the email to link our accounts, it created a new WoW2 account under my name. This is a starter version, but I want to use my old account to re-sub which has all the old expansions and my heroes to use. Is Recruit-a-friend only available for brand new players, but not lapsed returning?

There is a drop-down box under my account in the blizzard launcher to let me pick from my normal account and this new WoW2 starter, so I'm just not sure if I have to sub under the brand new one for this promo to work? It is all linked up to my Blizzard log-in right, so will it matter?
Recruit-a-friend is only for new accounts. I have several wow accounts on my bnet account because of it.

793bb2592dc89e51b2090bfb52eab072.png

Scroll of resurrection is for lapsed accounts, I'm not sure that it does anything anymore though. It used to give you a mount

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I don't really have any nostalgia or lingering fond memories of any specific draenor zones. Talador is nice I guess?
=O

As much as I detested the time travel nonsense, the zones were beautiful. The XP for treasure hunting allowed for free-form exploration levelling, and the cutscene quality meant each zone also had a pretty engaging storyline. It was just let down by a poor over-arching story imo, and over-reliance on the garrison.

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_nhwluqYQoR1qam9b3o4_1280.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
=O

As much as I detested the time travel nonsense, the zones were beautiful. The XP for treasure hunting allowed for free-form exploration levelling, and the cutscene quality meant each zone also had a pretty engaging storyline. It was just let down by a poor over-arching story imo, and over-reliance on the garrison.

WoD was in my opinion by far the worst expansion beating out Cata for that title barely but I will agree the zones were pretty great looking.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Recruit-a-friend is only for new accounts. I have several wow accounts on my bnet account because of it.

793bb2592dc89e51b2090bfb52eab072.png

Scroll of resurrection is for lapsed accounts, I'm not sure that it does anything anymore though. It used to give you a mount

Ah, that is what I feared. That is what my account tab looks like with just the top two right now.

So basically there is no reason to have that starter account if I don't want to start from scratch and purchase the game+expansion for it? I want to link my CE expansion to my normal account, so that leaves that new starter account only playable up to level 20 for free unless I double-dip? A sub would only be tied to that WOW2 account and not the others correct?

Basically, what do you do with your other starter accounts? Let them sit there?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WoD was in my opinion by far the worst expansion beating out Cata for that title barely but I will agree the zones were pretty great looking.
I think wod is many people's worst expansion, but people tend to get hyperbolic and thus pretend it didn't have anything good in it. Wod represented a HUGE spike in returning players because the buzz from the beta was SO good. Because the levelling/questing/zones were amazing, the dungeons were good, and that's all people tended to do in beta before quitting. The lack of 'things to do' after that wasn't noticed by most.
Similarly, the raiding in WoD was 100% top tier. there isn't a bad raid in the expansion, just not enough of them.

Ah, that is what I feared. That is what my account tab looks like with just the top two right now.

So basically there is no reason to have that starter account if I don't want to start from scratch and purchase the game+expansion for it? I want to link my CE expansion to my normal account, so that leaves that new starter account only playable up to level 20 for free unless I double-dip? A sub would only be tied to that WOW2 account and not the others correct?

Basically, what do you do with your other starter accounts? Let them sit there?
If you don't sub to it or level anything up on it past 20, you can have Blizz remove it (That's why I don't have a wow5). If you level toons, they CAN'T delete the account.

There's no point in having it if you don't want to play a second account. All of my extra accounts still exist because I've used them to refer-a-friend from my main account, and then multiboxed with myself and friends in order to quickly level other characters. So they've all got level 60+ toons on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.