• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
The Tauren need more love (the originals, not one of the sub races).

I would love to see a story where they were the protagonists.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to finishing the Winter Veil achievements and getting my Violet Proto Drake after nearly a decade. The first year achievements came out, I got all of the holiday ones done except for Brewfest and Winter Veil. The first year of Winter Veil, I didn't do them because I didn't have high enough cooking at the time, and every year after that I never wanted to do the pvp achievement. This year I finally decided to do it. I ended up joining a world pvp group and actually got the pvp achievement done really fast.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/a81e99/activision_now_runs_blizzard_entertainment_there/

Can't believe Brack is the guy who helped kill SWG, that was my favorite MMO.

There is one thing in that post I take strong issue with: The idea that the original implementation of Jedi was in any way good. They literally ran out of time trying to get it into the game in any actually interesting way, and at the very last minute slapped the "grind out as much xp as possible across almost every possible skill" holocron mechanic. It was lame.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So why should I turn war mode on? Aren't I just going to get roflstomped while I level?

My Alliance alts get +30% from War mode(because there isn't enough of us compared to Horde) and I'm not getting ganked that much. I think my paladin got killed like twice in Drustvar between lvl 117 and 120. And my lower lvl alts encounter even less people. It's not like there are lvl 120s all over the place. So it's definitely worth it.
Maybe just avoid neutral zones/regions where you might encounter more of the opposing faction if you can, like when i took my lvl 84 rogue to Krasarang Wilds after I was done with south Jade Forest, since there was most likely more Horde north.

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/a81e99/activision_now_runs_blizzard_entertainment_there/

Can't believe Brack is the guy who helped kill SWG, that was my favorite MMO.
Read the first comment (not blaming you, the comment is newer than when you psoted the link).

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/commen...ow_runs_blizzard_entertainment_there/ec9o2em/

Hi,

I am locking this thread for 1) the toxic shitshow it has turned into in the comments 2) the amount of misinformation found in the OP, in an attempt to stop its spreading and the defamation.

I'll use this opportunity to also link to these comments from Raph Koster (whose identity has been confirmed by the mod team) who commented on this thread, debunking a good portion of the false accusations that are in the OP about J. Allen Brack.

• J not only did not do the NGE, he insisted it was the wrong thing to do, and left SOE over it.
    This entire theory is incorrect.
  • I posted some of this in a thread, but I don't think anyone will see it there. I was the original creative director of SWG, in case anyone wants to check my bonafides.
    J did not do the SWG NGE. In fact he objected loudly to it. He stood on principle that it was wrong and unfair to the players, and he and SOE parted ways over it.
    He was a producer on SWG from the team's founding. In fact, he came over from Origin with the rest of the original team, where we had all worked together on a cancelled version of Privateer Online. J was never a designer, either. So he did not "design the CU" or NGE, nor were they his idea.
    FWIW, J has been a producer on WoW since before the first expansion. Every expansion you liked had him working on it. (So did all the ones you didn't ;) ).

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Some more assault leveling data. At 119 with war mode on (30%), I earned exactly 40% of a level (360k xp).

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Been doing a bit of warmode. It's nice for the bonus but then you get these clowns that camp you. So I just turn it off. What's funny is my hunter is only 116 (up from 114 when I turned on warmode) and I keep fucking these 120s up. So they get salty and grab a whole grip of people to come kill me. It's fun like the first two times. But then it's like "Guys, do something else." Maybe they're just embarrassed they got wrecked by a low level. I dunno.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not much of a Taliesin fan but the subject very much interests me

For the record I made a post back on Gaf (I think? I know I wrote it down somewhere) about a tinker class with all 3 specs, using bots/turrets for dps and healing, and a mechsuit for tanking :p

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
You guys have a good suggestion for alliance realms? Somebody was suggesting to go with a pvp realm (even though they don't exist anymore) because those people would be willing to do war mode more often. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
You guys have a good suggestion for alliance realms? Somebody was suggesting to go with a pvp realm (even though they don't exist anymore) because those people would be willing to do war mode more often. Thoughts?

For NA realms at least I'd do Stormrage or Sargeras. I think Frostmourne would be the OCE realm to be on. Not sure about EU without looking stuff up.

Personally I've had characters on both of those first two, but I currently have slightly more invested in Sargeras right now. Stormrage and Sargeras are more or less interchangeable for Alliance.

But I primarily play/have played Horde since I started around early Wrath.

Oct 25, 2017

As someone suggested, stormrage seems like a solid choice. I think it's west coast US though, which I am east coast. I might be transfering there to join a guild I have been running with though. It's good for alliance since it's like 90% alliance. Just keep in mind, for world pve/pvp stuff, that don't matter. Even for raids and dungeons, it's largely irrelevant outside of having the guild tag and chat access, bank etc.. Where it only truly matters is doing mythic raids when they are server locked. They do become cross-realm after enough guilds beat the raid though.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Stormrage and Sargeras are the big ones in NA. Proudmoore is pretty big too and is on Pacific time if that applies to you.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't played WoW since before Mists came out. My buddies and I were talking about the idea of hopping back in and just taking lvl 1s all the way up and seeing how the game has progressed. Would that be fun to do at this point? Not worth my time? What say you WoW believers? I need your inputs.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't played WoW since before Mists came out. My buddies and I were talking about the idea of hopping back in and just taking lvl 1s all the way up and seeing how the game has progressed. Would that be fun to do at this point? Not worth my time? What say you WoW believers? I need your inputs.
One of the most common complaints I've seen (and one I agree with) regarding current WoW is that the leveling experience sucks.

If all you care about is experiencing the existing content, you're probably good, but the feeling of actual character progression is ass.

Also you're going to out level content before you finish any of each expansion's stories, which might suck.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I still think they fundamentally forgot one of the reasons vanilla Wow made you learn new spells at different levels, and why you got talent points every level. Because it made levelling something you wanted to happen. That gave you a button to press or something to signify you got stronger.

I'm hardly the biggest fan of vanilla Wow. But that is one thing the original game got and the current game completely fails at.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
As someone suggested, stormrage seems like a solid choice. I think it's west coast US though, which I am east coast. I might be transfering there to join a guild I have been running with though. It's good for alliance since it's like 90% alliance. Just keep in mind, for world pve/pvp stuff, that don't matter. Even for raids and dungeons, it's largely irrelevant outside of having the guild tag and chat access, bank etc.. Where it only truly matters is doing mythic raids when they are server locked. They do become cross-realm after enough guilds beat the raid though.

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. Any suggestions for east coast servers?

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions. Any suggestions for east coast servers?

Stormrage is actually east coast. Sargeras is central time. But on sufficiently populated servers the time zone doesn't have really have much of an effect - you should be able to easily find guilds doing stuff more or less all throughout the US prime time on any "mega-server". Finding a guild that fits with what you're interested in doing is the most important thing. Whether that's raids/PvP/whatever.

I still think they fundamentally forgot one of the reasons vanilla Wow made you learn new spells at different levels, and why you got talent points every level. Because it made levelling something you wanted to happen. That gave you a button to press or something to signify you got stronger.

I'm hardly the biggest fan of vanilla Wow. But that is one thing the original game got and the current game completely fails at.

Yeah this is one of the major problems with BfA. Legion gave a lot of tools/toys to players and BfA took them without any replacement — Azerite was supposed to essentially cover legendaries, artifacts, and tier sets at the LEAST and it clearly does not. And you can't even necessarily say Legion was "bloated" either since the height of class complexity overall was probably Mists of Pandaria.

So we're just left with these kind of husks of classes. In the same vein, it's kind of particularly bad because there's not even much overlap between specs within a class anymore. This is good and bad in some ways, and was more solidified in Legion with the spec specific artifact weapons, but they really leaned in to "spec fantasy" over "class fantasy" — there are essentially 36 classes now with how it has shaken out, so the devs are probably stretched a bit thin and that's likely why most specs feel pretty blah. Not to mention we have no idea if there are dedicated class developers anymore, or how many there might be if they do exist.

But the other part of the point I meant to make was that just Azerite as hardly a sufficient replacement for the systems lost, ON TOP of not having any new core abilities or talents between what 100 and 120 now(?) is just awful. Having consistent progression can sometimes be very compelling as the talent points in the old trees or the artifact traits were.

Now it sounds like they finally realized the mistake(s) and will be turning things around with the redesign in 8.2, but that's at least something like 5 months off from now and they've kinda pissed enough people off at this point where it's likely too little too late for quite a large segment of the player base. It's seems unlikely that too many of those people will come back for a patch, if at all. Certainly they'll be able to hook a decent amount with the allure of a completely new expansion, but for now BfA has already killed pretty much all momentum it had 5 months in through numerous failures, certainly outweighing the successes. And to reiterate — some people are probably gone for good more or less, which is disastrous when WoW is very likely not attracting nearly enough new players to make up for those losses.

Anyway that went on a bit longer than I anticipated so I'll stop there for now — not TOO much more you could get out of me than you've already seen on a Reddit manifesto. Though I do have a couple more specific theories about the state of the game that I've been kicking around my head and haven't seen posted anywhere.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I got tired of trying to find where a bunch of toys are myself and finally decided to start looking up their locations. Ended up getting 13 toys today. Also passed 300 and got the mount. For some reason I thought the mount was at 400 toys.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as a casual solo player, i resubbed a week ago for 8.1 and find myself already bored with the game. I leveled an Alliance alt to 120, experienced the zones questlines (Drustvar and Stormsong Valley both pretty good) and started the War campaign but, i'm currently stucked on Honored rep and don't have the patience to grind rep again to continue the War campaign and unlock the DI Dwarves, and on my main Horde i already did the current patch War Campaign content and now have to wait until the end of January to see the end of the chapter. Maybe i will level up of the allied races since at least they nerfed the XP required in sub-110 levels.

I think the main problem in BfA lies in :

1) Lack of "progression" while leveling. This is the second expansion in a row now without any new talents (PvP talents aside). The artifact system at least offered some sense of progression in Legion, but here in BfA there is nothing. I don't understand why Blizzard simply didn't put the artifact talent system in the Heart of Azeroth instead of Azerite Armor which sucks big time.

2) The time-gated content is all out of control in this expansion.

BfA is in bad shape right now but it's still miles better than in WoD, which the main addition of 6.1 was the fucking Selfie feature.

Seems like the good/bad cycle of expansions that started with WotLK/Cataclysm is true after all.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One other thing that I think they really missed the mark in BfA is class specific content. It was one of the reason why lvling a new class in Legion was interesting. They really should have continued with this.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, for anyone who is unsubbed, you can still take a level 20 char into org (or ironforge?) to get this year's winter veil presents.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
One other thing that I think they really missed the mark in BfA is class specific content. It was one of the reason why lvling a new class in Legion was interesting. They really should have continued with this.
yeah for sure, I love that stuff (I'm still in the process of doing that Legion content on my alts right now for every class)

BFA is just 10x worse than Legion for everything

my guess is that all that class-specific content takes a whole bunch of development time, which it seems Blizzard does not have right now

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played for like a month now, beyond a couple half hearted days, and I don't even miss it.

):

It'd be a whole different story if my friends stuck it out with me, but, well, they didn't. Guess I'm done.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
My wife is playing a horde character right now and says the story is much better. I may give that a shot. Not sure. I'm just completely underwhelmed. I think the grind to 120 would have been half way better if there was actual class content to do. As it stand now, besides all of BFAs problems, leveling just sucks because it's boring. At least with Legion the class content was a thing where you'd say "I just need one more level to continue this cool story". Whereas now it's just "Oh, I hit 120, now I have to grind for 2 weeks to make the story go any further". Blizzard really has missed the mark with time gating and thinking that shit is fun.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The leveling changes have encouraged me to get my rogue from 80 to 110. She'll be parked at 110 for a good while. I don't have any interest in BFA content. I've run out of things to do.

And before anyone says "there's plenty to do" yes, I know. But the point is I don't ENJOY doing them. I'm very much sick of people who are white knighting Blizzard trying to spin BFA as this massively misjudged expansion and that it is somehow the disappointed players' fault that they're not having a good time. It's telling when the 1-110 experience is more fun than the current content.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The leveling changes have encouraged me to get my rogue from 80 to 110. She'll be parked at 110 for a good while. I don't have any interest in BFA content. I've run out of things to do.

And before anyone says "there's plenty to do" yes, I know. But the point is I don't ENJOY doing them. I'm very much sick of people who are white knighting Blizzard trying to spin BFA as this massively misjudged expansion and that it is somehow the disappointed players' fault that they're not having a good time. It's telling when the 1-110 experience is more fun than the current content.
lol who's saying that BFA has great content? I haven't heard anyone say that

but yeah, WoW is still awesome up until 110

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

Honestly BFA has a pretty decent leveling experience that I didn't mind revisiting a few times to get everything to sink it.

It's just endgame where it all goes to trash.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lvling between 110 & 120 is a bit too slow to my taste and it's always the same 3 zones unless you change faction once in a while.
I wish they could update heirlooms to be usable up to 120. Guessing they're waiting for 8.2 for that.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I enjoy BFA content but I don't care much if people don't like it and I don't think it's white knighting to be positive about a video game.

It is absolutely white knighting when people are attacked for being "too hard" on a product they're paying for.

There's a difference between people enjoying content on their own and people shitting on players for being "too negative" when voicing their valid issues with the game.

Where did I say people were claiming there was "great content?" What I said was people saying "there's plenty to do." Well yeah. There is. I could run old content. I could transmog. I could pet battle. I could pvp. Except I've done all of the above for what I want from them and I hate pvp so it doesn't make sense for me or anyone else to participate in content they've no interest in. And get that happens all the time. I suppose the "misjudged expansion" could imply the "great content" thing but that's not what I meant. In my opinion, and apparently that of others, BFA is very boring. There's not a lot of reason to participate in that content.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The artists that worked on making the BfA areas have done a superb job and some of those areas had very good zone quests i.e. Drustvar.

My problem with the leveling was that it felt unrewarding, a forced task to reach the cap which will eventually end up as a boring one.
I tried to mix some other features that give XP like Island Expeditions that were and continue to be a bore fest, only better at rewards now, or dungeons that give so little XP they are not worth of the fuss. Add the horrible Azerite System and, of course, scaling to the equation and i now have my Rogue at 113 not having the courage to bring a fourth toon to 120.

Yet there are people that enjoy BfA and that is well and good for them. I wish i could be one of them since i like the world and i too have invested on my characters.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah I totally WANT to be invested but I can't be as it stands. Maybe 8.2 will be better and make it all bearable until 9.0. Or maybe everyone I know who plays will have quit by then and I'll have even less reasons to log in. I don't know.

I've invested too much time and money into this game to 100% quit it but I sure as hell am not enjoying it. I really wish I could.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get an Alliance character up through the BfA questing at some point sooner rather than later. Having the story split kinda sucks. Might level a night elf from scratch so I can do the eye customization stuff too, but I'm not sure what class I'd want to play since I have everything at least once over already, and no class is super enjoyable right now. Maybe a Night Elf Demon Hunter, but that's kind of cheating.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The leveling experience of BfA is probably my favorite of any expansion, but that's purely based on the strength of the story. It's also the first expansion that made me most want to roll a Horde character, again for the story. I think the energy Blizzard put into the different class experiences in Legion was spent on creating two different story experiences for Horde and Alliance in BfA.

Mechanics-wise...yeah, azerite armor just hasn't been compelling, and the lack of real progression in leveling has made this the first expansion since I've been playing where I have almost no interest in leveling an alt through it.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Still enjoying the game! I haven't felt the drastic shift others have, at least, not to the same degree. War Mode and PvPing are things I never touched before so they've made the game feel quite alive to me. I don't think I played enough classes over the past 10 years to really understand how pruned-back/simplified they are now. Combat feels just about as complicated as ever to me, haha.

I don't much care for Azerite Gear, and I still feel it's all a step down from Legion's amazing amount of content, class-specific development, and story, but it isn't the tragedy for me that it seems to be for the min-maxers and raiders.

Anyway -- now that I have the luxury of having most characters at or near 110, as well as three 120s, I thought I'd ask: what classes/specs feel most satisfying to play right now? I'm ready to try something new.

I've got my Boomkin, Frost Mage and Havoc DH right now. My other two principal characters over the past decade have been my priest and paladin. Hearing that Shadow didn't really get fixed made me a sad panda. How are Holy/Disc?

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with the leveling was that it felt unrewarding
I think by far the most unfun thing about BFA leveling, especially coming from legion is that your character's just felt insanely weak throughout the whole process. I don't remember ever playing an expansion where I just felt significantly weaker as I leveled up. Yeah obviously you won't be as strong because stats contribution changes a lot.

But combined with the squish and losing legendaries and all our artifacts, it just feels awful.
I cannot get over how weak I feel in BfA. It don't even remember feeling this weak after Wotlk to cata, or WoD to Legion.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
WoWScrnShot_122918_155132.jpg

Unlocked my Mag'har last night. Made a Warrior on Tich. And created a guild, <Orcish Death Metal>

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
The leveling in BFA was awesome as far as I'm concerned.

As is the Invasion/Assault stuff with war mode on while we're being positive. Haven't had that much fun world PvP'ing in a long time (until the lag kicks in).

Sovereign

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I like the leveling, zones, dungeons, raid, invasions, and the latest warfront. Next raid is sounding great and the HoA overhaul is on its way per the last Q&A. There's hope for BfA yet if they can fix the classes.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, titanforging needs to fuck right off. The only reason easy content (lfr/warfronts) are in the game is to reward people who either aren't capable of doing it or are too lazy to put in the effort to be capable of doing it. The idea that someone in lfr is capable of getting the 385 shield off of Vectis just because lol dice rolling is stupid. All war/titanforging should be capable of doing is getting +5/+10 ilvls above the base of whatever level of content you're doing. Fuck, there's a guy in my guild who got a mythic 6 titanforged 395 cloak in the first week of m+ and he hasn't had to replace it in 3 months. That is asinine. When the raid group I lead downed M Mother for the first time I gave someone else my loot because it was a downgrade for me. That's fucked.

This isn't even a casual vs. hardcore thing for me, I don't consider myself hardcore. It's the design philosophy in and of itself that's scummy from Blizz. Let's give people gear that is a higher ilvl than they've earned to make them feel good. Let's give them that dopamine hit so they'll keep playing our game. This design philosophy has activision's fingerprints all over it. It's sad to see that AV has done this to Blizzard.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh just had the mount from Alysrazor in Firelands drop for the 4th time but I still don't have the mount from Ragnaros.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
One of the issues with Titanforging that I've read is that while it theoretically extends the gearing process in that you can never truly cap out (at least, certainly not before the next tier of content is released), it completely stunts progression in the slots that you do get forges in. So if you say, get a high titanforged weapon early, you now have nothing to look forward to in terms of weapon upgrades for about 4 months at the low end. It's essentially cheating to just get catapulted into having a good piece of gear, so it doesn't really feel good outside the initial moment. This is opposed to having a steadier increase in power over time, getting upgrades more predictably.

The system is at odds with itself as it stands.

Not to mention the titanforged stuff that's better besides being complete RNG is just a text label and some (relatively unnoticeable) increased amount of stats. You don't get any other special effect like maybe a particle glow, different color, etc. that might make chasing titanforges more appealing. Visual appearance differences are pretty much exclusively relegated to the Elite/Mythic sets vs. all lower tiers of gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.