• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I wasn't taking a shot at anyone by recognizing the fact that not everyone agrees with me.

I know one guy, and others, probably hate it. But I think it's a good thing.

Came off as "I disagreed with one person in my last conversation and I'm just pointing out that he won't like this"

And yes, those are in the same post. You only have to look at Reddit, the forums, YouTube, here and I'm sure other places to see the drive-by's, rants, banning, etc. when someone posts something about not liking whatever BFA is serving to see "I'm sick of all the negativity!" or "If you don't like it then just quit!" or things about echo chambers because paying, loyal customers are disappointed. There's lots of good things in BFA but there's also bad. It's okay for others to not be satisfied with what's being offered.

Oct 25, 2017
Came off as "I disagreed with one person in my last conversation and I'm just pointing out that he won't like this"

And yes, those are in the same post. You only have to look at Reddit, the forums, YouTube, here and I'm sure other places to see the drive-by's, rants, banning, etc. when someone posts something about not liking whatever BFA is serving to see "I'm sick of all the negativity!" or "If you don't like it then just quit!" or things about echo chambers because paying, loyal customers are disappointed. There's lots of good things in BFA but there's also bad. It's okay for others to not be satisfied with what's being offered.

You admonished me for using a blanket statement, then made a huge blanket statement. That's my point, it's silly.

You keep bringing up this thing about how people are bashing you for being negative. I haven't seen that here btw, at least not in any significant amount. But that is what you're doing, but in reverse of course. I say one positive thing and you're reading into it as an attack on "loyal" and "paying" customers. That's some real shit.

This comment about echo chamber, it's not clever or subtle. My comment about echo chamber doesn't mean I am not okay with people being negative. It's the opposite. If discussion is discouraged simply because one person disagrees with another, then yes things become a shitty echo chamber. I was ignored because I didn't agree with someone.

And I've never once tried to stifle discussion, so don't try to pull that bullshit. I never once told someone to quit, and I believe I never even complained about people being negative. I think the most I have complained about is people posting spoilers.

Lastly, recognizing that you or other people don't agree with me... nothing wrong with that. Stop trying to make a hill out of a molehill.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
You admonished me for using a blanket statement, then made a huge blanket statement. That's my point, it's silly.

You keep bringing up this thing about how people are bashing you for being negative. I haven't seen that here btw, at least not in any significant amount. But that is what you're doing, but in reverse of course. I say one positive thing and you're reading into it as an attack on "loyal" and "paying" customers. That's some real shit.

This comment about echo chamber, it's not clever or subtle. My comment about echo chamber doesn't mean I am not okay with people being negative. It's the opposite. If discussion is discouraged simply because one person disagrees with another, then yes things become a shitty echo chamber. I was ignored because I didn't agree with someone.

And I've never once tried to stifle discussion, so don't try to pull that bullshit. I never once told someone to quit, and I believe I never even complained about people being negative. I think the most I have complained about is people posting spoilers.

Lastly, recognizing that you or other people don't agree with me... nothing wrong with that. Stop trying to make a hill out of a molehill.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to go back and forth about anything with you. I have no interest in arguing with anyone on the internet, a forum, or whatever.

BolognaOni

Oct 27, 2017
Without tier sets or anything particularly special raiding does kind of feel like just another way to get gear at the moment.

However, I think a lot of that has to do with Uldir just not being that interesting. Most of those boss fights are pretty forgettable.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Is the last mount achievement 350 or 400?

I looked it up. It's 400, but I'm only shooting for 350 for the Biting Frostshard Core. For some reason I thought it was 350 and for me that's it. I don't need a green bird at 400. I don't play competitively, so raiding and PVP mounts are mostly out for me.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Without tier sets or anything particularly special raiding does kind of feel like just another way to get gear at the moment.

However, I think a lot of that has to do with Uldir just not being that interesting. Most of those boss fights are pretty forgettable.
It's also lacking in unique assets, the gear sets are kinda... meh and there's very little cosmetic stuff worth running for.

Dazar'alor doesn't look much better in that regard, but at least there's cool unique mounts.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
It's also lacking in unique assets, the gear sets are kinda... meh and there's very little cosmetic stuff worth running for.

Dazar'alor doesn't look much better in that regard, but at least there's cool unique mounts.

I agree on both points. I really, really, really (surprisingly) like the Zandalari so I'm disappointed that we're not getting a brand new area for the raid rather than just the capital city.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I looked it up. It's 400, but I'm only shooting for 350 for the Biting Frostshard Core. For some reason I thought it was 350 and for me that's it. I don't need a green bird at 400. I don't play competitively, so raiding and PVP mounts are mostly out for me.

Nice. I'm slightly behind you at 321 mounts right now.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Uldir isn't particularly bad, but it's hardly a raid that I'll look back upon fondly. It's certainly better than many previous intro raids but the bar there is pretty low. The gear transmog is pretty bad which sucks with the removal of tier sets, but I guess intro raids haven't had tier sets anyway the past few expansions, so maybe that's more forgivable.

I do like the Dazar'alor mounts, though I don't know if I'll have the opportunity to farm Mythic Jaina for that sweet water elemental anytime soon, if even in this expansion.

I don't like the name "Battle for Dazar'alor" because the apostrophe is annoying as all hell to type. Damn you Blizzard!

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have a Horde guild I can park my only Horde alt into that is very inactive and won't get booted? I'm working on having a 120 Horde and would like the guild perks too. Thanks!

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a Horde guild I can park my only Horde alt into that is very inactive and won't get booted? I'm working on having a 120 Horde and would like the guild perks too. Thanks!

I've got 2 guilds on Mal'Ganis NA that are essentially for banking purposes, one isn't setup to handle anyone else being in it though (I'd have to edit gbank permissions and stuff). The other is fine (has permissions more or less setup) if that would suit your needs.

Bother me if you're interested and I can hook you up if you don't mind just having perks and nothing else. Could probably clear out a bank tab if you wanted one, but I don't see a scenario where you would need it.

Otherwise my current primary guild I haven't really been playing with cause I haven't been playing and I'm considering applying to other guilds in the event that I do decide to become more active, so I couldn't offer anything there.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I've got 2 guilds on Mal'Ganis NA that are essentially for banking purposes, one isn't setup to handle anyone else being in it though (I'd have to edit gbank permissions and stuff). The other is fine (has permissions more or less setup) if that would suit your needs.

Bother me if you're interested and I can hook you up if you don't mind just having perks and nothing else. Could probably clear out a bank tab if you wanted one, but I don't see a scenario where you would need it.

Otherwise my current primary guild I haven't really been playing with cause I haven't been playing and I'm considering applying to other guilds in the event that I do decide to become more active, so I couldn't offer anything there.

Thanks. I forgot about servers when I posted so I'll provably stay on Whisperwind. Maybe I'll just make my own guild. Didn't remember if you get guild perks just for forming a guild.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I forgot about servers when I posted so I'll provably stay on Whisperwind. Maybe I'll just make my own guild. Didn't remember if you get guild perks just for forming a guild.

Yeah there's no leveling system at all anymore that unlocks the standard perks - every guild has access to those immediately. The only thing would be the stuff that's unlocked by achievements and can't be unlocked by just one person, either literally or realistically, but that's nearly all obsolete stuff or stuff you likely have from being in a guild elsewhere because it's BoA. Only thing maybe would be the Orgrimmar teleport cloaks, but that's hardly necessary, especially if you're playing a mage or something.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I got the impression being horde or alliance really only matters when you're looking for a top of the cream guild. Being on a low alliance pop server, it's hard to find active people for my guild. But I already have a new guild and going to transfer to their server which is like 95% alliance so that will not be a problem very soon.

It's more nuanced than that but yeah it will still disproportionately affect people looking for better guilds. This has a noticeable cascading effect on the population though. It's not like the imbalance happened overnight (though movement has certainly spiked more at points), but it's been more of a slow moving train wreck that happened over the course of decade and no one noticed or bothered to nudge it back onto a correct course during that time.

Oct 25, 2017
id already say the imbalance is so bad even for casuals theres no point in going alliance except for friends or already existing connections.

i bet next tier will be like 92-8 for the top 100 guilds for mythic jaina and ranked pvp alliance is already a joke

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Legion invasions happened on the same timer as Assaults. I feel like they're more spread out. I'm on a leveling binge right now and before i burn out I'd like to get my last few classes to at least 110...
Gotta do:
Human Priest 1-110
Lightforged Draenai Paladin 20-110

and then Kul Tiran Druid when it releases....

but I'll probably be burnt out before 8.1.5 comes out.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Legion invasions happened on the same timer as Assaults. I feel like they're more spread out. I'm on a leveling binge right now and before i burn out I'd like to get my last few classes to at least 110...
Gotta do:
Human Priest 1-110
Lightforged Draenai Paladin 20-110

and then Kul Tiran Druid when it releases....

but I'll probably be burnt out before 8.1.5 comes out.

kul tiran druids still aren't out O; I quit like 7 months ago and am quite honestly shocked they're not out yet

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that I have 0 versatility on my Druid. I have a little bit of speed, avoidance and leech but no versatility. It's my worst stat so I'm not complaining but I found it funny.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Thank goodness they only require Exalted w/ Proudmoore Admirality.

Oh you naive sweet summer child.

I'm working on my only Horde character to 120, which is why I asked about the guild above. I really want a Zandalari Pally or Druid, but I'm not sure I want to go through the requirements again. I already have it all on the Alliance side.

It's not terrible if you play through the storyline, but i'm leveling off assaults so i'm going to have to go back and play all the quest lines.

Seriously fuck these Allied race requirements. Really pisses me off.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm working on my only Horde character to 120, which is why I asked about the guild above. I really want a Zandalari Pally or Druid, but I'm not sure I want to go through the requirements again. I already have it all on the Alliance side..

this is me Alliance side. I want a KT Human for whatever reason but I don't want to do all that stuff over again. I really wish it was "complete this stuff as either faction and unlock both." It's just... too much.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

For real. They've been awfully handled.

I played Alliance when BFA launched (and have since quit). If I resubbed and wanted to play a Zandalari on one of my existing characters, I'd have to either level/boost a character on Horde, then do all the story/reputation content over weeks/months, then faction change, or faction change my main from Alliance to automatically gain the Horde reputation, then do the story content, then have to race change that character to Zandalari.

It's basically impossible without spending an exorbitant amount of time and/or money. And frankly, it's a major part of why I'm not resubbing, because BFA was sold by the promotion of those races.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I also love that there was no black friday/holiday sale on services like race change this year even though there have been in the past. Can't have people saving money on their allied race swaps!

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

This was good but it still doesn't completely wash away everything, and is indicative of another potential problem in that your systems shouldn't be so needlessly convoluted as to require this amount of detailed documentation to just get oriented with them. However what's acceptable is subjective to each person. The point is that you should tell people what they need to know and if the subject is complex, let them figure out for themselves if knowing more is worthwhile.

I do applauded their effort here though.

RE: Allied Races

Definitely agree that the way they've been executed is poor, even if I don't explicitly disagree with some of the concept. As a carrot in an otherwise scarce time for content they worked better, but now it's mostly just tedious or outright punishing in a lot of scenarios with the Horde/Alliance split for unlock requirements being particularly egregious. It's especially bad when the base character creation has been objectively behind if not outright awful compared to the industry for the entire lifespan of the game and hasn't been significantly improved at all in that time span. The new allied races having even less customization than the base ones is just more fuel to the fire. Admittedly, the fewer options you have as an allied race character are often of higher average quality than the larger subset given to base races to choose from, but it balances out to be essentially the same thing.

And no, I don't want body sliders, cause average people are awful at designing shit, and such a thing would just result in far too many meme characters that look horrendously ugly or have giant anime tiddies, breaking immersion, especially in an MMO where other people have to see your character.

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you naive sweet summer child.

I'm working on my only Horde character to 120, which is why I asked about the guild above. I really want a Zandalari Pally or Druid, but I'm not sure I want to go through the requirements again. I already have it all on the Alliance side.

It's not terrible if you play through the storyline, but i'm leveling off assaults so i'm going to have to go back and play all the quest lines.

Oh. I did all this on my first toon, the one that's exalted with everything. Easy. I've already met the requirements.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Tachya how are you preparing, mat-wise, for the new raid next week?

Well I haven't actually been playing, much less the economic side of the game, if I can even get myself to login for the better part of a few months now. Also doesn't help that I'm pretty damn low on gold to be making any meaningful strategic investments without putting a bunch of time in either earning gold to build a even a modest stockpile or collecting resources by hand myself.

However I imagine the general strategy wouldn't be much different than any other time new content, particularly raid content, is released.

1. You speculate on newly introduced recipes that might be valuable based on deep game knowledge.
  2. Invest in things you know will see an uptick in usage during certain times —e.g. for raid progression mostly consumables or gear needed to hit a hard ilvl cutoff early on for queuing
That's mostly it, but if you want to get more granular, further base decisions around idiosyncrasies of your own local server like expected competition, number of active players and type of content they would tend to prefer, etc. The big meta thing right now would be to take into account the much lower global population levels as a result of BfA being unsuccessful and temper expectations accordingly. There will still be a bump to the economy, but not as much as with a larger base load of players interested in still playing.

Also take note that because of rather severe deflation in BfA, the median player will have much less wealth than in the past in terms of the relative amount of gold owned unless they're supporting themselves with WoW tokens. It's why tokens are closer to 100k on NA than 200k at the end of Legion. Result of high raw gold sinks, significantly lowered standard income sources, and many people quitting locking a lot of previously earned wealth out of recirculating back into the economy.

Sorry for the long answer, but I think that's it. I don't have any specific items I could recommend investing in because I haven't been keeping up as much as a direct result of not playing. I got pretty apathetic towards the economy in BfA pretty quickly anyway after buying the long boi and also realizing that the dynamics of professions were so stripped down that it wasn't enjoyable to engage with past a few weeks. Combined with more raw gold income being rather low as well, any potential rewards weren't really worth my time with the extremely low barrier to entry of higher level competition.

The only thing that maintained value longer was dedicated group or multi-box grinds, but I typically find those intensely unfun, even if the returns are decent. I'd much rather work alone or not have to multi-box to be competitive in the economic arena. I find multi-boxing particularly distasteful in this domain and essentially an exploit — it's not enjoyable to me at that point. Which is one of the major issues I have with how EVE online has had its meta developed — multi-boxing there is even easier and more necessary/powerful than it is in WoW because it scales strongly in many activities for a few reasons. I don't have a particular issue with multiboxing as more of a novelty, but when it becomes required to compete that's just bad design and I tune out more. The sad thing is there's a couple actions developers could take to address this flaw, but when each account sub is paying the same amount of money each month, there's no incentive to discourage it unless it starts to negatively impact standard players on a large enough scale. Same deal with bots, but that's slightly more nuanced to address.

Bots are more explicit cheating outside the prescribed rules whereas multi-boxing is pushing the limits of what is allowed, but it tends to result in at least a soft pay-to-win. Both rely on some degree of automation.

Having extra accounts for more diversity purposes (like having a different class alt) isn't nearly as bad when the game artificially limits what you can do in a given amount of time on one account, but it still should be discouraged by gameplay design and/or business model because I don't think most people find meta-gaming as hard as that enjoyable if it wasn't expected to keep up at some level.

Last edited:

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They had a post on their main page. It's something to do with European users and the new data regulations.

Alright, account is back now. Apparently I missed the email because I signed up on MMO with an account I barely use anymore. Checked that mail and there it was.

I could recover easily. Phew.

Oct 25, 2017
Getting 320 or even 335 is easy. Did that more than a couple times before 8.1. Buy ilvl 300s, kill arathi rares, do timewalking/holiday events (esp. for trinkets/rings), world quests/emissaries. Now add darkshore rares and buying 340s instead of 300s. Prob skip a step.

Status
Not open for further replies.