• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm doing my best to not be super behind on the Alliance allied races if they indeed open up Tuesay. About to hit revered with Proudmoore and 8K from exalted with 7th Legion. Gotta finish the 8.1 war campaign this week.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So I haven't been playing or following BfA for a while. Did the latest big patch and raid revitalize the game or is the community still down on the game?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
So I haven't been playing or following BfA for a while. Did the latest big patch and raid revitalize the game or is the community still down on the game?

it's slightly better than it was but no, the community is still pretty unimpressed and rightfully so. 8.2 is when the big changes should happen and are really the last chance for anything to be salvaged from this expansion. There's a lot riding on it, imo, but I figure most of the damage has already been done.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it's slightly better than it was but no, the community is still pretty unimpressed and rightfully so. 8.2 is when the big changes should happen and are really the last chance for anything to be salvaged from this expansion. There's a lot riding on it, imo, but I figure most of the damage has already been done.
BFA is still not good

I don't think BFA will ever reach Legion goodness

at this point I'm just leveling every class up to 120 and doing all the Legion-specific class content for each. After that there's nothing in BFA itself that's worth doing

fortunately there's a ton of Legion content so it's taking me a while, and still lots of fun

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BFA is still not good

I don't think BFA will ever reach Legion goodness

at this point I'm just leveling every class up to 120 and doing all the Legion-specific class content for each. After that there's nothing in BFA itself that's worth doing

fortunately there's a ton of Legion content so it's taking me a while, and still lots of fun
8.2 looks promising though.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing my best to not be super behind on the Alliance allied races if they indeed open up Tuesay. About to hit revered with Proudmoore and 8K from exalted with 7th Legion. Gotta finish the 8.1 war campaign this week.

Tuesday? I thought it would be with the next patch which is probably early March.

I finished everything on both sides, so I'm ready for a KT and Zandalari when they drop and that mount for finishing both storylines.

I'm actually glad I did both. With the lack of content compared to Legion, it gave BFA a bit more content for me. You really don't get each other's full story only playing one faction storyline.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Tuesday? I thought it would be with the next patch which is probably early March.

I finished everything on both sides, so I'm ready for a KT and Zandalari when they drop and that mount for finishing both storylines.

I'm actually glad I did both. With the lack of content compared to Legion, it gave BFA a bit more content for me. You really don't get each other's full story only playing one faction storyline.

well they posted that official preview yesterday so it made a few people consider that they may be dropping them next week. Nothing official yet but I guess we'll see in the coming days.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Nothing is an exaggeration. There is still M+, raids, and pvp things that make BFA fun.
I should have specified -- nothing unique to BFA that turned out great. For example, azerite armor, warfronts, islands.

Whereas the unique Legion content was much better. Class order halls and class questlines, weapon artifact (which is much cooler than azerite armor), class mounts, etc

<edit> also all the tons of different skins for each weapon artifact variation that you can work toward unlocking. that alone is better content than all of BFA's unique stuff lol

Mythic dungeons, raids, and pvp are general activities that have been in previous expansions

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I should have specified -- nothing unique to BFA that turned out great. For example, azerite armor, warfronts, islands.

Whereas the unique Legion content was much better. Class order halls and class questlines, weapon artifact (which is much cooler than azerite armor), class mounts, etc

<edit> also all the tons of different skins for each weapon artifact variation that you can work toward unlocking. that alone is better content than all of BFA's unique stuff lol

Mythic dungeons, raids, and pvp are general activities that have been in previous expansions

Yeah I think I understood that part about nothing unique and new to BFA, but thanks for clarifying.

I actually do kinda like azerite now that it's not that difficult to get the traits you want though. I like being able to swap from MT gear to ST gear with a press of a button. And I prefer azerite over sets.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I think I understood that part about nothing unique and new to BFA, but thanks for clarifying.

I actually do kinda like azerite now that it's not that difficult to get the traits you want though. I like being able to swap from MT gear to ST gear with a press of a button. And I prefer azerite over sets.
I actually don't hate azerite armor like most posters here do. Because I'm not a min/maxer anyway so I don't care about perfect traits or grinding artifact levels, that doesn't bother me at all

It's just that weapon artifacts in Legion were much cooler looking, with all the unique and varied skins. Some could even talk to you!

Azerite armor is just normal plain generic armor

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
The new stuff isn't as good as the new stuff from Legion, but lets face it - they hit a home run with Legion. You can't always hit a home run.

I just hope they don't strike out. :P

Sovereign

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Still think if they just do well with the azerite overhaul in 8.2 this will be a fine expansion. Not great, but good enough to keep my sub going.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that would even make me consider resubbing at this point would be a free race change with the release of the new races. But I know that would never happen so I guess we'll see what the next expansion looks like with what I assume is the A team developing it.

I didn't sub for WoD since the impressions were pretty unfavorable by like week 2 of the expansion. With that said, I've never felt more ripped off for spending money on WoW than I have for BFA. There is some scummy ass shit going on with the monetization this go around. No wonder Activision/Blizzard is falling on hard times. The writing is on the wall as they have seemingly transitioned into milking their existing franchises of value and goodwill rather than continuing to innovate.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The only thing that would even make me consider resubbing at this point would be a free race change with the release of the new races. But I know that would never happen so I guess we'll see what the next expansion looks like with what I assume is the A team developing it.

I didn't sub for WoD since the impressions were pretty unfavorable by like week 2 of the expansion. With that said, I've never felt more ripped off for spending money on WoW than I have for BFA. There is some scummy ass shit going on with the monetization this go around. No wonder Activision/Blizzard is falling on hard times. The writing is on the wall as they have seemingly transitioned into milking their existing franchises of value and goodwill rather than continuing to innovate.
wat monetization issue in BFA?

I don't see anything different with BFA in that regard. you're not talking about just a couple mounts in the Store, are you? those are irrelevant

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
wat monetization issue in BFA?

I don't see anything different with BFA in that regard. you're not talking about just a couple mounts in the Store, are you? those are irrelevant

Mostly the fact that the new races were marketed as a feature of the expansion back and yet weren't released until 6 months after the release of BFA. So at the very least you are in for the price of the expansion plus one month sub at time of expansion release and then another month sub when the races release 6 months later. And that's not to mention how much sub time you need to make it through the time gates rep grind necessary to even unlock those races (which I don't have time to figure out right now).

I've played WoW since beta so I'm not foreign to the value of a subscription being that Blizzard will continue to support and release new content for the game between expac releases; however, BFA seems to me the first time they've marketed new races that were released months after the initial expansion launch and locked behind weeks of time gated rep grinds. It just seems like a very calculated scheme to draw out extra subscription payments from their customers.

Dopsi

Oct 30, 2017
Hey all, I am gonna do a shameless plug in here if thats allowed...I just started streaming on twitch @ twitch.tv/hassamaa

It's going to be mostly high end PVP with some higher mythic + keys. Disc priest main for many years now.

Stop by and drop a follow and watch if you want!

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Still think if they just do well with the azerite overhaul in 8.2 this will be a fine expansion. Not great, but good enough to keep my sub going.

Yeah if they overhaul enough in 8.2 and Azshara's raid + zone lives up to the years of teasing, it'll be okay enough. Just none of the unique BfA features have been (or will be) anywhere close to the Legion unique features. Even if you don't mind your class/spec design so much. Just going from August to the following June or so with all your stuff being pretty trash is a really bad look.

The only breaks I took in Legion were due to not having a good group to play with or personal IRL issues which were unrelated, whereas in BfA I was bored early on and kinda over it by October. I played straight probably multiple hours every day on average in Legion from launch to sort of the end of Tomb before having to step down for a bit, and that was shortly after a close guild breakup. So something closer to 6-8+ months of hardcore devotion rather than like 2. I don't think the legendary grind and the still bad at times, but better than BfA AP grinds were nearly as much of dealbreakers as the stuff in BfA has been.

The allied race situation with BfA is also pretty shameful, as Zandalari were one of the earlier selling points, but apparently KT were so hard to do that it pushed Zandalari way back with them. Even if you don't mind the allied race system too much at all (Legion allied race controversy aside), it's definitely some grade A bullshit.

Because the allied races are still just kind of new coats of paint on existing models and skeletons. I was super pumped for Nightborne and it was done so poorly and with the heritage armor clipping as well that I eventually race changed two characters I had made FROM Nightborne to another race, not even counting mediocre combat racials and stuff. That's not the kind of revenue you should be proud of as a company.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mostly the fact that the new races were marketed as a feature of the expansion back and yet weren't released until 6 months after the release of BFA. So at the very least you are in for the price of the expansion plus one month sub at time of expansion release and then another month sub when the races release 6 months later. And that's not to mention how much sub time you need to make it through the time gates rep grind necessary to even unlock those races (which I don't have time to figure out right now).

I've played WoW since beta so I'm not foreign to the value of a subscription being that Blizzard will continue to support and release new content for the game between expac releases; however, BFA seems to me the first time they've marketed new races that were released months after the initial expansion launch and locked behind weeks of time gated rep grinds. It just seems like a very calculated scheme to draw out extra subscription payments from their customers.
ok I see, yeah the 6-month delay of two allied races is super lame, I agree with that

weeks of grinds is nothing different than other random stuff in the past though, so I have no problem with that

I remember trying to go for High Warlord in the original pvp rank system, that was some crazy grinding. never got HWL, I ended up at Lieutenant General

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
So... I haven't played WoW since Cataclysm launched, I got my Priest to max level at the time (my main character, even though I had almost all classes to the previous max level), did some dungeons, and stopped playing ever since. In fact two months later I sold my entire account to an acquaintance, an account I had since 2005 (when it released in Europe).

I stopped playing because I also played EVE online since 2004 along side with WoW, and my corporation and alliance mates also played WoW, so we did PvE content in WoW together continuously until Cataclysm, but they all stopped playing around Cataclysm, and so do I, because we all got bored, but I would've continued playing but was not as excited for the game to actually find others within WoW to play with.

I still play EVE, but lately I have had this desire to play WoW again, which I haven't had at all since I stopped. It would mean starting a whole new account again, everything from scratch, which I also find exciting.

From what I read up it seems you just need an active subscription + having to buy the latest expansion, I thought I'd have to buy all the expansions again.

So what is the state of the game, especially for someone like me? A good time to jump in? I don't intend to play hardcore, mostly casually - I'll be focusing on PvE because EVE Online is my PvP fix, at first doing pub dungeons/raids, maybe I will join a casual guild or one of the Era EU communites, not that much time between work, friends, EVE Online and other games.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
So... I haven't played WoW since Cataclysm launched, I got my Priest to max level at the time (my main character, even though I had almost all classes to the previous max level), did some dungeons, and stopped playing ever since. In fact two months later I sold my entire account to an acquaintance, an account I had since 2005 (when it released in Europe).

I stopped playing because I also played EVE online since 2004 along side with WoW, and my corporation and alliance mates also played WoW, so we did PvE content in WoW together continuously until Cataclysm, but they all stopped playing around Cataclysm, and so do I, because we all got bored, but I would've continued playing but was not as excited for the game to actually find others within WoW to play with.

I still play EVE, but lately I have had this desire to play WoW again, which I haven't had at all since I stopped. It would mean starting a whole new account again, everything from scratch, which I also find exciting.

From what I read up it seems you just need an active subscription + having to buy the latest expansion, I thought I'd have to buy all the expansions again.

So what is the state of the game, especially for someone like me? A good time to jump in? I don't intend to play hardcore, mostly casually - I'll be focusing on PvE because EVE Online is my PvP fix, at first doing pub dungeons/raids, maybe I will join a casual guild or one of the Era EU communites, not that much time between work, friends, EVE Online and other games.
I mean... your experience can probably only go up from here.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

If you're playing for casual PVE, then the game is still great all the way through Legion. So you'll get a lot of content just from that alone

Not sure which expansions you have to buy from scratch, but I'm sure someone in this thread will know

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Timewalking leveling is insane. I got 470k (out of around 800k per level) from one run with the Draught of Ten lands BOA potion. Someone said you can do 110-120 in under 20 TW dungeons and I believe it. Working on my 9th 120 lol.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... your experience can probably only go up from here.

If you're playing for casual PVE, then the game is still great all the way through Legion. So you'll get a lot of content just from that alone

Not sure which expansions you have to buy from scratch, but I'm sure someone in this thread will know
Thanks for the replies. How much does it matter nowadays if you choose Horde or Alliance?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Just got a Shaman to 120, but I rarely play the class. What's best for soloing elites and stuff, ele or enh? I leveled as enh.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Just got a Shaman to 120, but I rarely play the class. What's best for soloing elites and stuff, ele or enh? I leveled as enh.
The general rule, if you can turret up and melt things before they get close, Ele's you go-to. If you need to move and self-sustain, Enh. Historically they've both been good at soloing stuff, but I haven't touched BFA for months so I don't know what state either is in at this point.

OP
OP
Tachya

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017

A fellow player of both EVE and WoW (though I've dabbled more in EVE compared to WoW)?

giphy.gif

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Something I've been thinking about recently: Among the many things that BfA lacks when compared to Legion is class specific content. They should bring back mage tower-style solo challenges, but this time have the reward be new/different aesthetic options for skills, like the warlock Green Fire questline from Mists. The game could certainly benefit from more customization options, and the glyph system has become pretty inadequate over time. I don't have ideas for every class, but there are a few things that come to mind:

-Dinomancy for Druids (actual direhorn tank/raptor feral since Zandalari doesn't go in that direction). I'm not sure how to expand this to resto/balance but I'm sure they could think of something.
-Color options other than "Holy Light Yellow" for Paladin spells - red tints would be cool for Blood Elves, for example, or a darker, more fiery orange for Dark Irons (and maybe Sunwalkers?) Not sure what an appropriate color would be for Zandalari. Admittedly this idea could use some work.
-Hunters of course could always get access to a new or previously unavailable pet type, or special/exclusive versions of existing pets that are not currently tamable. Armored Devilsaurs, for example
-This one may be a stretch, but a "way of the blade" stance for monks would be cool. Something that alters a good chunk of the BM/WW animations so that your equipped weapons are constantly held while in combat and swung in attack animations. I remember when monks first came out, the Jab ability actually did this by default.

The mage tower stuff came in 7.2, right? I know 8.2 apparently has a lot of content but it looks like there is no mage tower-style challenge in the works. Maybe we'll get them in 9.2 after the next expansion is another "throw everything we can think of at the wall since our last expansion was lame" hail mary like Legion was.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Something I've been thinking about recently: Among the many things that BfA lacks when compared to Legion is class specific content. They should bring back mage tower-style solo challenges, but this time have the reward be new/different aesthetic options for skills, like the warlock Green Fire questline from Mists. The game could certainly benefit from more customization options, and the glyph system has become pretty inadequate over time. I don't have ideas for every class, but there are a few things that come to mind:

-Dinomancy for Druids (actual direhorn tank/raptor feral since Zandalari doesn't go in that direction). I'm not sure how to expand this to resto/balance but I'm sure they could think of something.
-Color options other than "Holy Light Yellow" for Paladin spells - red tints would be cool for Blood Elves, for example, or a darker, more fiery orange for Dark Irons (and maybe Sunwalkers?) Not sure what an appropriate color would be for Zandalari. Admittedly this idea could use some work.
-Hunters of course could always get access to a new or previously unavailable pet type, or special/exclusive versions of existing pets that are not currently tamable. Armored Devilsaurs, for example
-This one may be a stretch, but a "way of the blade" stance for monks would be cool. Something that alters a good chunk of the BM/WW animations so that your equipped weapons are constantly held while in combat and swung in attack animations. I remember when monks first came out, the Jab ability actually did this by default.

The mage tower stuff came in 7.2, right? I know 8.2 apparently has a lot of content but it looks like there is no mage tower-style challenge in the works. Maybe we'll get them in 9.2 after the next expansion is another "throw everything we can think of at the wall since our last expansion was lame" hail mary like Legion was.
I never did the Mage Tower stuff but I heard it was really cool (it doesn't exist anymore right? no way for me to try?)

But to add an easier and simpler point on top of yours -- why didn't Blizzard just continue the Class Order Halls and expanded class storylines??

I'm pretty sure everyone would have liked that

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Doing class specific content means they have to produce 12 times as much content. That's why they are reluctant to do it.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
I believe they have said that the Diablo team was helping them during Legion development. Now that team is off working on another game.

Edit: And it may just be projecting, but you can see the influence of the Diablo team on Legion - the content has a slightly different feel than other expansions.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Class halls wouldn't make a lot of sense in BFA. While there was a lot of tension between Alliance and Horde, they were for the most part still working together to stop the Legion.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess there's no more dual spec, you can just switch specs whenever you want? Also now you don't have to train spells any more, you just get them automatically.

One thing I like is the scaling system, the game used to be awful when you'd out level areas so quickly and you have to spend so much time jumping around, I much prefer this way now, and leveling feels more open-ended than being on rails how it used to be. Same goes for the dungeons, you'd out level them so quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess there's no more dual spec, you can just switch specs whenever you want? How do I make it "save" my choices though, they are reset, I remember with dual spec it would be saved and you can switch between them. Also now you don't have to train spells any more, you just get them automatically.

One thing I like is the scaling system, the game used to be awful when you'd out level areas so quickly and you have to spend so much time jumping around, I much prefer this way now, and leveling feels more open-ended than being on rails how it used to be. Same goes for the dungeons, you'd out level them so quickly.

Whenever you swap, the talents you had last time are what comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.