• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The BFA cinematic was so fucking amazing. I loved how everyone was portrayed and I am definitely not an Alliance player.

Sylvanas comes off as so smooth and awesome and in charge and just amazing and.... in game she's the greatest evil or something. -_- There's a huge disconnect between the cinematic and what happens in the game and thanks i hate it.

All this shit got kicked off by a misunderstanding and the cinematic implied that Sylvanas understood this, then as we got further into this expansion they tried to make the Alliance as justified as possible by having her commit warcrime after warcrime

Then they implied that it's because she's tired of the back and forth and wanted to end it permanently

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'd rather have a cinematic from Sylvanas, or hell, Azshara's point of view instead of another Saurfang one at this point. I already know he's just going to talk about honor and how he doesn't like the Horde as it is right now before even seeing the cinematic.

She isn't "evil" to most of the Horde though , at least according to one of the devs (can't remember who said it). She's well respected.
I can't remember if that interview was before or after Teldrassil though (probably after).

You'll probably find no one in this topic who will defend her as much as I will however... What the devs say (probably Afrasiabi and I probably mangled that spelling) versus what we're show in game is drastically different. Obviously there's an intended twist but like none of the leaders want her around anymore, her intentions are vague and muddied and not in a good, "mysterious" character kind of way. She's been retconned to have been a part of the original Undercity revolt and condoned using the plague at Wrathgate... It's just bad.

Sylvanas was always an in the shadows, get it done but for the good of the Horde kind of character and now she's just being written as a Garrosh 2.0 which we've hashed out a thousand times before on this forum. However, in the trailer, I see the Sylvanas who helped Varian fight in the Legion cinematic but this time she's heroically defending and assisting the horde against whatever the Alliance is attacking them for. Actually, thinking about it now, this trailer makes zero sense in the context of why this trailer is happening. No one Horde-side in the trailer behaves the way they do in the actual in game representation of this battle. There's a disconnect somewhere and the characters (and by extension the players) are suffering for it.

I have a lot of feelings about this.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
However, in the trailer, I see the Sylvanas who helped Varian fight in the Legion cinematic but this time she's heroically defending and assisting the horde against whatever the Alliance is attacking them for.
Yeah, her monologue seems to imply that this was a direct result of what happened with Varian in legion, and that Genn (and Jaina) are revenge crazy and Sylvanas is letting it ride because it can't be helped. She also joins her army instead of using them as fodder like she does in-game

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah, her monologue seems to imply that this was a direct result of what happened with Varian in legion, and that Genn (and Jaina) are revenge crazy and Sylvanas is letting it ride because it can't be helped

Yep and I honestly think that somewhere along the lines when this trailer was being conceptualized someone was like "we need the tie in novel so make up some conflict" and it directly clashed with the original intent and now we've had a shit ton of handwaving and character assassination to get us to the story they decided to tell anyway. "No one will notice. It's fine."

I don't care if she leaves the position of Warchief (even if I think she could be a good leader if given a fair shake) but if she's killed off or dies a villain I will be fucking pissed. Somehow even more than I am already.

Again, feelings.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep and I honestly think that somewhere along the lines when this trailer was being conceptualized someone was like "we need the tie in novel so make up some conflict" and it directly clashed with the original intent and now we've had a shit ton of handwaving and character assassination to get us to the story they decided to tell anyway. "No one will notice. It's fine."

I don't care if she leaves the position of Warchief (even if I think she could be a good leader if given a fair shake) but if she's killed off or dies a villain I will be fucking pissed. Somehow even more than I am already.

Again, feelings.
I was always under the assumption that they thought the Alliance got shafted in the last couple of expansions, losing Theramore, Varian, having nothing to do in WoD, etc, so this was their way of giving them a decent plot. Only issue is that the Alliance needs someone to fight or they fall apart. And since they all have some degree of beef with Sylvanas (nature-wise for the night elves, Varian for the humans, Gilneas for the Worgen, etc) she was the prime candidate

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I was always under the assumption that they thought the Alliance got shafted in the last couple of expansions, losing Theramore, Varian, having nothing to do in WoD, etc, so this was their way of giving them a decent plot. Only issue is that the Alliance needs someone to fight or they fall apart. And since they all have some degree of beef with Sylvanas (nature-wise for the night elves, Varian for the humans, Gilneas for the Worgen, etc) she was the prime candidate

After Legion showed us the whole "cooperation" angle I fully expected the conflicts to just kinda become problems both sides had to tackle. Anecdotal, but I see a lot of people who just don't think the factions would go back to hating each other after everything we went through and I kinda agree. Plus I need a gameplay update where I can party with friends who refuse to, ahem, see the Light play Horde. The War in Warcraft doesn't have to be faction conflict. There can be more.

And yes, faction conflict should still be a thing but it shouldn't be the driving force anymore imo. It's tired. But PVP solves that problem if you make PVP lore and have the leaders go "We're at peace with the Horde/Alliance but these idiots can't keep it in their pants so we don't condone their actions so let them get themselves killed or something" and have little PVP storylines over resources and shit - idk.

But I swear to god if we lose another Horde leader in any way I may lose my mind.

and this is the most Warcraft discussion I've had (and this topic has seen) in a while and it gets my blood pumping. it gives me life.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sylvanas cosplay on point.

nyb6bm8b97ry.jpg

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
It's good but I drastically prefer new model Sylvanas with her battle mail. The armor looks incomplete without it.

Still way better than any cosplay I've ever done. Which is coincidentally also an archer.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sylvanas is garbage. Even Garrosh was better, and he was as low tier as you could get.

Can't wait for Blizzard to make her the new Lich Queen and put out another fanservice expansion, this time Northrend 2.0.

/s

RIP Vol'jin, and I never thought I would miss green Jesus.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
We really need a Warcraft series in order to be able to do the lore justice. Too much lore to try and fit into a 2 hour movie.

I wonder if that 15th anniversary CE will be available at Best Buy? Probably won't have a discount though as its not software. Hmm.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, any bets on how long before folks turn on classic and quit?

I give it 3 weeks.

Most bandwagoners won't get past level 20 or 30, that's for sure.

I know I'll ride that train until 60 at least, then it will be a matter of "can I find a guild / are my friends still playing" or not.

If you're expecting those that have played classic on private servers to turn on it you're not going to like the outcome.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I give it 3 weeks.

It was absolutely amazing in my demo how much a misremembered about vanilla WoW. The relevant bits from my preview:

I rolled up a level 40 Shaman, one of my characters after I left the naive days of Night Elf Hunter-dom behind. I was prepared to jump right back into Enhancement, my Shaman specialization of choice. I purchased some fist weapons with the meager gold Blizzard gave us, learned the correct weapon skills, and opened the talent tree to customize the spec like I remembered it. But... where was the Dual Wielding talent that would allow me to use both of the fist weapons I bought? A quick Google set me straight: Enhancement Shaman didn't get Dual Wield until the opening patch of Burning Crusade. All that gold, wasted. Goddamn it.

Since I'm level 40, I figure I should see what questing is like. I'm in Orgrimmar and my vague memory tells me that the correct level of quests should be available in Desolace. Blizzard has helpfully given us all the flight paths, so I hop on a Wind Rider for Nijel's Point in Desolace. I figure it'll take me a couple of minutes at most, but no... it takes forever. I'd hazard it was more than 10 minutes; enough time for me to get up, go do an interview, and come back.

I didn't find the content much harder overall; I wouldn't say modern WoW feels any easier, there's just a bit more prep time in Classic. This version of Shaman features a ton of different totems, each as their own spell. There was no Totem Bar—that didn't come until Patch 3.2—and no Totemic Recall. This meant, that errant surviving totems could actually pull aggro on their own, bringing the pain down upon me. And I needed to drink to regain mana every few encounters.

The fuzziness of what changed where is going to be the thing that gets most people. And how long it takes to get anywhere.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
That flight path thing is hilarious, given that they at least should be glad that it's based on 1.12 which introduced linked flight paths, not earlier iteration where you had to complete each stage of flight individually.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

I give it 3 weeks.

Geez still with that? How about a bet for when the infatuation will stop. Isn't there a new patch coming out for BFA to grab your interest beyond the apparently unprecedentedly, unpredictable and somehow surprising realization that a launched consumer product aimed at hundreds of thousands will be disliked by portion of those that try/buy it with initial expectations of enjoyment? <shocked face>

Been almost 2 years since it was announced. Thought people would have gotten over that pettiness by now.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Geez still with that? How about a bet for when the infatuation will stop. Isn't there a new patch coming out for BFA to grab your interest beyond the apparently unprecedentedly, unpredictable and somehow surprising realization that a launched consumer product aimed at hundreds of thousands will be disliked by portion of those that try/buy it with initial expectations of enjoyment? <shocked face>

Been almost 2 years since it was announced. Thought people would have gotten over that pettiness by now.
Why so touchy?

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ion / Brack saying that Blizzard are open to the possibility of TBC / WOTLK servers made me all fuzzy inside, even though I know that's probably never going to happen.

Some people will never stop, you just gotta move on and let it go / ignore it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing with Classic I'm most curious about is what happens after all the content has dropped? Like, nostalgia aside, what kind of live game/MMO has a long, healthy life left after it basically stops updating itself after a year of content? I can't imagine people sticking with it for very long after that point, knowing that nothing else is coming. I think they should do TBC/WOTLK servers, and let you transfer your character to those from classic if you want.

It seems like a very expensive project for Blizzard for something that, it seems to me, will probably lose its luster after 1-2 years.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see Classic as an expensive project, and right now it gives Blizzard something that they really need: goodwill.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The thing with Classic I'm most curious about is what happens after all the content has dropped? Like, nostalgia aside, what kind of live game/MMO has a long, healthy life left after it basically stops updating itself after a year of content? I can't imagine people sticking with it for very long after that point, knowing that nothing else is coming. I think they should do TBC/WOTLK servers, and let you transfer your character to those from classic if you want.

It seems like a very expensive project for Blizzard for something that, it seems to me, will probably lose its luster after 1-2 years.

It's more likely than not that after three years, Blizzard will just open a new server and people will go through the whole process all over again.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

This is what I expect if Classic's successful; allow a one-way transfer to the next generation of classic, while continuing to maintain the old version in a stable perpetual 'complete' state.

Curious if they do do that, how they'd go about handling the preexpansion event; for completeness you'd really want that as well, but that'd require being able to join the server in a state before the content has opened to do it strictly accurately, effectively a 2.0-before-the-release-of-TBC server.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Ion / Brack saying that Blizzard are open to the possibility of TBC / WOTLK servers made me all fuzzy inside, even though I know that's probably never going to happen.
I'm sure it will eventually, with the option to do a one-way transfer, either by starting a separate product or adding it into classic on certain servers. It has to be something they've explored, given how people feel about Wrath especially.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Classic in its time, but you couldn't pay me to go back to it as it was.

It was incredible and full of so many gaming firsts and amazing moments for me and I've been gaming since the early 80s. But I could never go back and recreate that sense of wonder but that's ok. Things change.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even a Horde player but I'll miss Thrall if they kill him.

If the one to do that is Sylvanas, even more. Fuck her.

----

I can't stand the (new, revamped?) faction leaders post-WOTLK. I find it funny that something that has no direct effect on my character (leaders) still is so valuable to me.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I remember there being a: "leak" for 8.3 and can anyone confirm if I'm just going crazy or not:

The idea was that in 8.3 after the removal of Sylvanas from Warchief that during a peace meeting the Alliance would royally screw up and then the war would get a lot worse.

Am I crazy or was that totally a thing that was leaked?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
real 8.3 leaks: Sylvanas gets sent to space jail (on loan from the lightforged) for 9 million years. While the alliance and horde leaders are celebrating, Tyrande murders Thrall because the sound of the Stormwind bells is just too much. Jaina gets really mad that the guy she had a crush on but never dated is now dead and becomes the new leader of the Forsaken, because she feels forsaken by love.

Status
Not open for further replies.