• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think all of Blizzard's design decisions are all bad. I just think they knew with BFA/Allied Races people were going to burn out of 8.0/8.1 content relatively quickly and doubled down on timegating as an effort to keep people subbed for a "reward" instead of cancelling. I don't think it worked.

You would think it would be common sense that such an artificially grindy "sub prolongation" strategy would actually burn most people out, but I guess not. Legion's AP grind alone burned me out hard, and I'm someone who'd scarcely unsubbed from TBC to WoD (except Cataclysm).

I used to log in every day because I actually enjoyed playing the game, but now class design is so shallow that playing it isn't rewarding. So instead of designing something that people log in to for fun, they devise these manipulative strategies to make people feel like they need to do their chores every day, or play infinite RNG slots for that 0.1% chance at a piece of forged gear with the right stats. (Remember when player convenience was prioritized with reforging? Hahaha, oh MoP, you so silly.)

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
There's a lot of things they should do differently but I just don't see them doing much differently in BFA until 9.0 so we can see what lessons were truly learned.

I think, at best, we'll get some sort of Allied Race "nerfs" in 8.3 like they did for the Legion ones as a "unlock them before the expansion is over!" (not that they'll be removed - just an "incentive) and then introduce new ones to grind for in 8.3. We know that Vulpera are all but confirmed and Mechagnomes are a pretty much guaranteed thing with how much is going into them. It would make sense to not have every single one be a rough ass grind.

And not that I mind grinding for things. I just want them to be realistic with the grinds. Don't make me have to wait for whenever they determine I should be able to get the rep and definitely don't make one of them occur at random times during the day when people are sleeping or working or something. That's silly. I love the WQ system but emissaries and assaults don't mesh well with this kind of rep based unlock system. Dailies would be a better fit for them. And we're getting some dailies back in 8.2 but, sadly, they're not tied to these races.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely sounds like Blizzard under Activision. I expect them to introduce Allied Races to the store.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll only accept Tortollan allied race if their heritage armor is full Ninja Turtle with 4 colors options.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Is that a 5th ninja turtle?

Ninja-Turtles-The-Next-Mutation-Venus-de-Milo11.jpg

she's been retconned to hell and back because she's a part of the Saban continuity but I just like bringing her up to remind people she happened. The best part about her was that she was a part of the Ninja Turtles x Power Rangers in Space crossover lol

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of things they should do differently but I just don't see them doing much differently in BFA until 9.0 so we can see what lessons were truly learned.

I think, at best, we'll get some sort of Allied Race "nerfs" in 8.3 like they did for the Legion ones as a "unlock them before the expansion is over!" (not that they'll be removed - just an "incentive) and then introduce new ones to grind for in 8.3. We know that Vulpera are all but confirmed and Mechagnomes are a pretty much guaranteed thing with how much is going into them. It would make sense to not have every single one be a rough ass grind.

And not that I mind grinding for things. I just want them to be realistic with the grinds. Don't make me have to wait for whenever they determine I should be able to get the rep and definitely don't make one of them occur at random times during the day when people are sleeping or working or something. That's silly. I love the WQ system but emissaries and assaults don't mesh well with this kind of rep based unlock system. Dailies would be a better fit for them. And we're getting some dailies back in 8.2 but, sadly, they're not tied to these races.

Like I said, it should be Revered. Exalted is just asking for burnout.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, they had a sale on race change right after/during the Zandalari/Kul Tiran allied race release, they know what they are doing.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that sale was long over due. If they were smart they would have had the sale a few months prior.

Why before? They did at the same time people would come back, look at those races and think "hm, I should get/train one".

If the argument is "but some people would buy the transfer anyway", the sale made it more of an impulse buy. They did the smart thing.

Deleted member 10063

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I resubbed like a chump for a minuscule chance at classic beta. Maybe I should try out retail? I think their plan worked on me...

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which rep?

Spam World Quests with a contract, finish all the main questlines of the zones (this will give a decent amount), do all the assaults you can.

Oct 25, 2017
Why before? They did at the same time people would come back, look at those races and think "hm, I should get/train one".

If the argument is "but some people would buy the transfer anyway", the sale made it more of an impulse buy. They did the smart thing.

Winter sale didn't have a services sale
season 2/8.1 didn't have a services sale
people unlocking DID/maghar didn't get a services sale

Need I go on? It was long overdue. They should've had a services sale months ago. You're focused on race changes while there are a lot of services besides race changes. Like 8.1 release would have prompted a lot of server transfers and 110 boosts. Winter sale having one just makes sense since people have extra spending cash.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Wowhead will usually have an easy to follow guide for whichever rep you're after. The allied race ones are pretty heavily tied to dailies, though. Particularly on Argus (aside from those weird tokens).

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats, it feels so good to get something after such long grinds.

I've seen it for sale on the BMAH last week (or the one before that) and the price skyrocketed so fast it made me laugh.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got Shadowmourne and didn't get Invincible in that time. I already never want to see ICC again. Not gonna bother with all of that.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I got Shadowmourne and didn't get Invincible in that time. I already never want to see ICC again. Not gonna bother with all of that.

yeah same. I've gotten every plate mog and nearly every other item I could get from there. Doing the run from start to Arthas again is like torture but I want the damned horse. Literally.

Never having to run Firelands or Tempest Keep again feels so good. One day I'll add Icecrown to that list.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Thanks, I have had so many mounts from well after that drop, I was honestly starting to assume it just didn't exist anymore lol. The mount from Stonecore took just as long in terms of runs but thankfully that one I could run over and over again outside of dungeon lockouts every hour.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an unlucky guy (I got Eye of Sulfuras and other stuff pretty quick), but if there's a thing that even with endless farming I've never dropped: Baron Rivendare's Charger.

Couldn't be easier to farm, and yet it still never happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
That is one I actually got really quickly, actually I got it during BC now that I think of it. Can't remember if they had changed the drop rate by then or not but I know it drops way more often now than it did in Vanilla. TLPD is another I got really fast, got it a week after WoTLK launched as I was just going through Storm Peaks not even looking for it or knowing it existed lol.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The TLPD corpse in Warlords that would set off rare finders was RUDE, Blizzard.

I did get Vyrigosa once. I saw some alliance scum and my rare finder went off as we were both flying in the air. I fire blasted and fell to my death but the kill was mine!

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how often they're giving out invites to the Classic beta?

Ahh yes, the original High/Blood Elf model.

It also amuses me that Sylvanas is a Night Elf again too.
Just got off beta a little bit ago and there definitely was a wave of beta testers that got in this morning. A lot were from EU so don't know if it was exclusively from EU.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not an unlucky guy (I got Eye of Sulfuras and other stuff pretty quick), but if there's a thing that even with endless farming I've never dropped: Baron Rivendare's Charger.

That took me over 500 runs to get and it kind of broke me as far as running dungeons or raids for other mounts. Now I don't even ride the fucking thing. Same with TLPD.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That took me over 500 runs to get and it kind of broke me as far as running dungeons or raids for other mounts. Now I don't even ride the fucking thing. Same with TLPD.

That's the thing: I really want to farm those mounts, but I doubt I would end up using them. Flying is almost here, so I will have no reason to use ground mounts anymore.

For the rare flying ones, basically none match my current / favorite transmogs. Yeah, picky/OCD kicking in, but that's just how I am. I would love to get the Violet Proto Drake/TLPD, but nowadays I find them so tacky and hard to match with anything that I end up not bothering.

Hell, I'm using a somewhat common mount just because it matches my current set.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
You would think it would be common sense that such an artificially grindy "sub prolongation" strategy would actually burn most people out, but I guess not. Legion's AP grind alone burned me out hard, and I'm someone who'd scarcely unsubbed from TBC to WoD (except Cataclysm).

I used to log in every day because I actually enjoyed playing the game, but now class design is so shallow that playing it isn't rewarding. So instead of designing something that people log in to for fun, they devise these manipulative strategies to make people feel like they need to do their chores every day, or play infinite RNG slots for that 0.1% chance at a piece of forged gear with the right stats. (Remember when player convenience was prioritized with reforging? Hahaha, oh MoP, you so silly.)
What you're describing is what made me quit. I've never played Horde seriously. Ever. But I would go play as a brown orc. In order to unlock them I need to grind for a month after hitting 120 just to unlock a skin. Fuck that. I literally started back up this weekend because my wife wanted me to but all I have to do at the moment is grind stupid fucking rep for the alliance war campaign. This isn't fun. At all.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So question on the pathfinder achievement. If I have the revered rep on one guy but not the other, like say revered with 7th legion on one toon, and revered with tortolans on the other, is that all cumlative or do I have to have the rep across one character?

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017

I've been going back to try to farm that mount but haven't had any luck. That and Raven Lord from Sethekk Halls are the only non-BFA dungeon mounts I don't have.

I've gotten Eye of Sulfuras twice but both times it was on characters that can't use it (Mage and Warlock). I'm gonna hit exalted with Hydraxion tomorrow on my Pally so I'm a bit frustrated with not getting it. Only got his full tier 1 set this week (needed the helm from Garr for like 3 months). My Warlock had insane luck where in like 10 MC runs he got the Eye and both Bindings.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope blizzard updates the PTR with the proper proffession recipes and progression. I need to stock materials for 8.2 launch and the imposibility of testing the new objects is killing me.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The materials are already in the PTR.

What I am curious of is the progression from 150 proffesions to the new 175 cap. You cant gain points atm in the PTR.

That's not what I mean. I mean "if the old recipes are completely useless for progression and/or if I need to keep any of the old mats."

I've been too busy with personal life stuff to bother with the PTR this cycle.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what I mean. I mean "if the old recipes are completely useless for progression and/or if I need to keep any of the old mats."

I've been too busy with personal life stuff to bother with the PTR this cycle.
I don't recall the numbers exactly but the new prepotions and flasks are like 50% stronger than their 8.0 counterparts. It's not like they will go grey, but they will be greatly overshadowed.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Just responding to this thread as I am thinking about coming back and giving BFA a try and hopefully WoW Classic and would like access to the discord. Anyone see any bottom dollar prices on BFA lately?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
It's currently down to $30 on Amazon right now.
Thanks, I will check it out - is it a good time to jump in if I plan on being pretty casual? I didn't buy at release because I just didn't like where they went with class design, but no other MMO feels as good or easy to play, so I am thinking about coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.