• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
The first time you go to the Halls of Origination with Magni, before you walk in you can talk to him again and skip. The second skip is when Ra-den tells you to go under the Mogushan Palace, you can talk to him again and skip that part.
Ahhh I see, I was thinking I would get an option to just skip when he offers the quest. Are those the only two times you can skip?

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I know LFR isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty disappointing to realize that it's the exact same looking gear as what you can get from the assaults. Chasing that gear is what keeps me invested. I thought changing from class to armor type tier gear was supposed to free up the artists to do more diverse or higher quality sets. This whole expansion is such a bummer to me. I still love the game and hope shadowlands is a return to Legion level quality.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, glad to hear about the rep and mementos boost for assaults and dailies.

it's always such a head-scratcher for me when numbers/tuning passes happen and the changes are this drastic. Like, wow, someone made a bad prediction right from the start on what an acceptable reward would be in this case. This is a 400% increase for mementos. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I always wondered why the payout was so low to begin with. It pretty much made the daily quests meaningless unless you wanted the rep.

I think they vastly underestimated everyone's tolerance for BS this patch. I'm not extremely disappointed in the -content- of 8.3 but more the execution. There's a lot of potential here but the need to grind kills a lot of whatever was left in the playerbase to run more rep grinds and collectathons.

Honestly, I'm also viewing the Essence situation the same way I did flying in WoD. They're saying it's "set in stone" but in a few days/weeks they're gonna announce a reversal and make them account bound or something as a "goodwill" move to make people "happy." Quote me because I'm 97% sure this is gonna happen.

Also, I've seen a few people mention Bellular and his "my source at Blizzard confims...." and let me just add that he's the Jim Sterling of Warcraft (I mean this in a very negative way, FYI) and his videos thrive on negativity for clicks and views. I wouldn't count anything he's saying about the BTS stuff as fact. He's just drumming up views during a slow point in the expansions cycle. Come Shadowlands Beta he'll be "WOW IS THIS THE BEST WOW HAS EVER BEEN" shit that he does at the beginning of every expansion to generate more clicks from the Beta hype.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I know LFR isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's pretty disappointing to realize that it's the exact same looking gear as what you can get from the assaults. Chasing that gear is what keeps me invested. I thought changing from class to armor type tier gear was supposed to free up the artists to do more diverse or higher quality sets. This whole expansion is such a bummer to me. I still love the game and hope shadowlands is a return to Legion level quality.

Yeah, no class sets? Well, okay I guess we will just get a ton of varied sets for each armor type. Hahah, well no, no you won't.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm reserving judgement until I see more of the class hall covenant armor sets. I wouldn't mind an armor set you can continually upgrade or something.

Really, anything would be better than how BfA handled raid armor. Because wow! Those are almost universally ugly.

I think with losing Azerite Powers AND Artifact Powers there's really no excuse. We didn't get the quality of art that was reasoned with the raid sets they promised so I'd rather have tier sets with bonuses than nothing at all. If your team is so out of art ideas then hire new artists. I hate to be blunt but there's plenty of people who can design things for these classes. And with them constantly inventing and revisiting lore I'm sure they could come up with new or different takes on things we've seen before.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I think with losing Azerite Powers AND Artifact Powers there's really no excuse. We didn't get the quality of art that was reasoned with the raid sets they promised so I'd rather have tier sets with bonuses than nothing at all. If your team is so out of art ideas then hire new artists. I hate to be blunt but there's plenty of people who can design things for these classes. And with them constantly inventing and revisiting lore I'm sure they could come up with new or different takes on things we've seen before.
Yup, just go on Artstation and look at people making "Warcraft-Inspired" armor. Hell, there was that dude that made class-race specific armor sets, and at least 75% of them were brilliant!

"Getting rid of tier sets will let us make higher quality, more creative armor sets!" reeked of bullshit from the get-go. This expansion's armor sets have been the most bland, hands down. You have the theme of COSMIC HORROR in your hands, and this raid's sets are what you come up with? Are you fucking kidding me?

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yup, just go on Artstation and look at people making "Warcraft-Inspired" armor. Hell, there was that dude that made class-race specific armor sets, and at least 75% of them were brilliant!

"Getting rid of tier sets will let us make higher quality, more creative armor sets!" reeked of bullshit from the get-go.

I do think I'm more interested in the cutting room floor of BFA than I am with the expansion itself. So many things could have been held for their own expansions or done better and all we can guess is that they were horribly rushed but that doesn't explain a lot of what happened after launch. I think Ion may need a co-host so to speak or even to step down and let someone else have a shot at this because the disconnect between devs and players is very large right now.

Somewhat related but I'm also sick of "WoW is shit now lol" conversation because it has dared to not be what Classic is. Want Classic? Play Classic. It's there and just as you remember it. Modern WoW has flaws and these can be critiqued but just saying it sucks with some blanket drive by just reeks of "my nostalgia is blinding me." I went into the "Why isn't WoW on Console" thread and immediately noped out because it was exactly as I expected it to be but I find that to be a sad thing. The game has evolved - and maybe BFA was a misstep - but the game isn't 100% bad all the time just because it dares to not play itself like a game in 2004 would have. Christ... err, Elune almighty.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I'm kind of optimistic: I feel like tier sets would have been in the announcement if they were coming back. I guess anything can happen though. Blizzard might turn the lead up to Shadowlands into a BFA apology tour.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm kind of optimistic: I feel like tier sets would have been in the announcement if they were coming back. I guess anything can happen though. Blizzard might turn the lead up to Shadowlands into a BFA apology tour.
They were being a little cagey about them returning during Blizzcon, and they made a statement later that if they came back it wouldn't be at launch.

That would be kind of like how it worked in MoP and WoD so... some hope there?

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

Shadowlands is 100% an apology expansion the way Legion was. I think what we were shown at Blizzcon was very much early stuff so they're nailing down some stuff but I expect to be surprised. I remember right before the Mists beta went live there was a huge, official info dump and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we got something in the same vein. I know they know they fucked up and they're not gonna let it happen twice in a row - I have that much faith for sure.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
They were being a little cagey about them returning during Blizzcon, and they made a statement later that if they came back it wouldn't be at launch.

That would be kind of like how it worked in MoP and WoD so... some hope there?
Yeah, if they come back in SL I expect them to be in the 2nd raid tier at the earliest.
yep. An Emerald Nightmare "no tier" raid and then BOOM a Nighthold tier set. Beautiful.
I mean, even then, you were getting tier gear, art-wise.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I mean, even then, you were getting tier gear, art-wise.

I don't want just art though. I want the full tier experience. It was a nice way to reward players for sticking with the raids AND also offer some extra form of power increase as you went on. I loved how they'd start out tame at the beginning of an expansion and then batshit by the end. I miss them so much, lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
The set bonus portion is great and I would be fine with that being on them, but it's the art for me that really makes a difference. Every fucking set in BFA looks the same by armor type, I don't want my Paladin looking like a damn Warrior. Obviously transmog fixes this, but it also massively limits the options you have that come after Legion if they don't at least give each class it's own unique style again.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
absolutely the art is important as well - I just don't want half and half. I don't even remember what the gear looked like in EN because it wasn't important past stat increases. Hell, I don't even remember it having any sort of theme at all.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know how I'm feeling about Shadowlands at this point. I obviously would love for it to be good but my faith in Blizzard as a company hasn't been improving at all over the past year or so.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I don't even know how I'm feeling about Shadowlands at this point. I obviously would love for it to be good but my faith in Blizzard as a company hasn't been improving at all over the past year or so.

For sure, if Shadowlands ends up being a BFA style fuck up, then I am probably out at that point. They seem to have a dud expansion every other one so the moment we get two in a row is the moment I retire.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
For sure, if Shadowlands ends up being a BFA style fuck up, then I am probably out at that point. They seem to have a dud expansion every other one so the moment we get two in a row is the moment I retire.
Legion was not good at all. People only remember 7.3 legion for some reason. 7.0 and EN were absolute shit, 7.2 was "every week you get quest of kill 8/30/100 demons and like it" and tomb of soakgeras was one of the worst raid ever made.
Legion had good points, unlike bfa tho, like suramar was one of the best content ever. I still wouldnt say legion was a good expansion overall.

Of course anything compared to the massive pile of crap that bfa is looks good lmao.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Legion was not good at all. People only remember 7.3 legion for some reason. 7.0 and EN were absolute shit, 7.2 was "every week you get quest of kill 8/30/100 demons and like it" and tomb of soakgeras was one of the worst raid ever made.
Legion had good points, unlike bfa tho, like suramar was one of the best content ever. I still wouldnt say legion was a good expansion overall.

Of course anything compared to the massive pile of crap that bfa is looks good lmao.

Ok, but I disagree with most of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

I still think Legion is much better than Cata/WoD/ThistrashfirewecallBFA. It's the weakest of the others in my opinion overall but I still thought it was good. Like I would be fine with Shadowlands if it's on the same tier to me as Legion, if it's on those 3 mentioned above then bye bye.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, glad to hear about the rep and mementos boost for assaults and dailies.

it's always such a head-scratcher for me when numbers/tuning passes happen and the changes are this drastic. Like, wow, someone made a bad prediction right from the start on what an acceptable reward would be in this case. This is a 400% increase for mementos. Lol
The rewards were higher on the PTR. They were changed in response to feedback that it's quite a bit of time required to stay on schedule with your cloak (before there was any weekly limit to cloak progress).

Once they changed them to how they eventually launched as, the general advice was "these aren't worth doing unless you have absolutely nothing else to do" which was completely correct. I'm guessing that attitude was reflected in Blizz's metrics on how many people actually bothered with those dailies.

I'm guessing the devs don't know how to feel about Shadowlands either. The indications seem to be that they are more behind thanthey were at an equivalent time for BFA, likely due to BFA requiring far more time intensive work to make it manageable than Legion did (most of the early Legion problems were solved with tuning passes versus intensive system reworks and new systems).

I can't believe we're getting a third expansion in a row with what seems like yet another throwaway system (Covenant abilities) tied to class design.

Last edited:

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I assure you no one has forgotten about either of those things.
I really think they did , most people are fine with legiondaries nowdays for some reason. I cant even express my feelings to how fucking awful it felt to drop a legendary and it was the most shit one you could have dropped, and now you're sol for another month before you can compete with people who lucked out.
Do we also not wanna talk about how you couldnt play your other specs cause of the AP grind? or how awful was playing alts at the start with almost nonexistant catch ups?
Did we also forget how blizzard implemented a secret soft cap on the legendary drop so you couldnt drop more than 4?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Corrupted gear is fun and I like the visions.. but the dailies I really hate already. And my buddies will need to run visions with other raid folk for best outcomes, and they are gated. I think I'll either level an alt or punch out until xpack so I can start even with them at least.

Was a fun month back anyways. Part of my dissatisfaction is rooted in not being willing to play like my friends because they are raiding mythic and I'm not there anymore.

I hadn't even realized they ditched class sets. That is awful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

Thank you for telling me how I feel about one of my favorite expansions of the game. I'm glad you could clear this up for me as it has been bothering me since 7.0.

Let us only rejoice and sing the praises of expansions that ResetERA user Dalik deems good.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
The legendary system was my only real nitpick with Legion, I haven't hardcore raided since WoTLK and I mostly play this game now as a single player game so it didn't make much difference to me in the end. Alts were harder because of AP but I only use my alts to farm old content for more mounts/mogs etc. so again not a big deal.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Thank you for telling me how I feel about one of my favorite expansions of the game. I'm glad you could clear this up for me as it has been bothering me since 7.0.

Let us only rejoice and sing the praises of expansions that ResetERA user Dalik deems good.
Yes, can we please get another MoP-quality expansion? thanks.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I really think they did , most people are fine with legiondaries nowdays for some reason. I cant even express my feelings to how fucking awful it felt to drop a legendary and it was the most shit one you could have dropped, and now you're sol for another month before you can compete with people who lucked out.
Do we also not wanna talk about how you couldnt play your other specs cause of the AP grind? or how awful was playing alts at the start with almost nonexistant catch ups?

I mean, I'm sorry you feel that way, but none of it is some objective truth about the game and I specifically disagree with pretty much the entirety of it. Your view on legendaries for example is the exact type of hyperbole that made actual discussion about the system impossible. The whole binary "it's either the best or the worst" paradigm is incredibly stifling to reasonable opinions, and was rarely borne out in actual gameplay.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, I'm sorry you feel that way, but none of it is some objective truth about the game and I specifically disagree with pretty much the entirety of it. Your view on legendaries for example is the exact type of hyperbole that made actual discussion about the system impossible. The whole binary "it's either the best or the worst" paradigm is incredibly stifling to reasonable opinions.
The whole binary is what the system was at first? not sure i follow. If you didnt have cloak as retri paladin you had a -10% dps debuff compared to people who had it. What is not but objective truth about this? helm/prydaz/bracers/boots literally had zero dps gain. There's no hyperbole.
They gradually made it better months after months but it took more than a year.

Nah. Anything after Burning Crusade was trash or did you miss that memo?
Im not of that school of thought. I wasnt around BC, but story wise at least was trash.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I got Sephuz on a healer before it even procced on dispels. Thank heavens it was a resto shaman and it actually had an interrupt. I remember when they added a socket to every legendary ring and neck to make people want to equip them. I remember when they raised the base ilevel of legendaries by 15 ilevel to make people equip them. I remember them changing how both Prydaz and Sephuz procced so they were more desirable (Prydaz especially was a joke at launch).

IIRC, all of those changes happened in 5-6 months. That didn't fix everything of course, but that was responsive. It didn't make everything better, but they fixed Legion with those smaller, incremental changes, for the post part. I remember Nighthold being a guild killer because of artifact power. I remember Broken Shore being crap. I remember the legendary soft cap that was disabled a few months after launch.

I think Legion is a good expansion despite all that. Legion had other parts that worked and were fun. It wasn't perfect. I complained quite a bit about it at the old place and here. But I still think it ended up being good, even if I was still annoyed about situations like the fire mage bracers or the rogue shoulders.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
It was annoying, but 99% of the player base isn't playing at a level where it mattered. I had dogshit legendaries and it didn't stop me from walking over other DPS with the good ones. EN was such an easy raid it didn't really matter, anyway. By the time we were in Nighthold, the legendary drop rate was at a point where you were getting them pretty frequently, and the "bad" legendaries had been buffed to be mostly usable without issue.

/shrug I just never had big issues with it. The initial 7.0 legendary/AP hump is really my only complaint with Legion. Otherwise I felt like it was firing on all cylinders for pretty much the whole thing.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
7.2 is the only patch of Legion I would say was of lesser quality because Broken Shore ended up not being that fun but the class mounts and the expanded hall stories were mostly cool. Tomb was a soakfest but it wasn't a -bad- raid. My guild survived all of it and had a lot of fun in the process.

Uldir on the other hand...

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I mean I got Sephuz on a healer before it even procced on dispels. Thank heavens it was a resto shaman and it actually had an interrupt. I remember when they added a socket to every legendary ring and neck to make people want to equip them. I remember when they raised the base ilevel of legendaries by 15 ilevel to make people equip them. I remember them changing how both Prydaz and Sephuz procced so they were more desirable (Prydaz especially was a joke at launch).

IIRC, all of those changes happened in 5-6 months. That didn't fix everything of course, but that was responsive. It didn't make everything better, but they fixed Legion with those smaller, incremental changes, for the post part. I remember Nighthold being a guild killer because of artifact power. I remember Broken Shore being crap.

I think Legion is a good expansion despite all that. Legion had other parts that worked and were fun. It wasn't perfect. I complained quite a bit about it at the old place and here. But I still think it ended up being good, even if I was still annoyed about situations like the fire mage bracers or the rogue shoulders.

Exactly, Legion wasn't perfect (no expansion was or ever will be) but it had enough positive content included that it tips to the good side for me. BFA literally has nothing remotely interesting or fun in it, Islands could have been cool but they aren't and they will die after the expansion anyway. I guess it gave us a Bee mount which I like. WoD and Cata were similar to me, they really didn't have much in them that were a positive addition to me outside of a few small things here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.