• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done any lost areas yet cuz i'm a little baby. I just do both corrupted areas in all my runs, but I'm sure I can handle at least one lost at his point.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
All of Stormwind's corrupted and lost areas are pretty easy this week, but if you don't have an easy way to negate the snare on Umbrix he can be tricky.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Umbric area and Kelsey areas both suck because there's so much running around to do. None of the Org ones are like that it's just kill kill kill.

Doesn't help that the assasins in Shaw area hit for a metric fuckton of damage compared to Orgrimmar mobs so mass pulling them is dangerous.

Both Stormwind areas feature the most dangerous monsters (Void Elementals and channeled stun casters) in the lost areas. Also, Alleria is horrible for melees you barely get any uptime on her due to all running behind pillars thing and void zones she spawns.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I just wanted to say that Stormwind Vision is so fucking bad and harder than Orgrimar and its makes me hate the game for the week it lasts.

Nuke Leaden Foot out of orbit.

I found it much easier this week without the fucking Scorched Feet nonsense but SW wasn't designed for "real" combat. Neither was Org but Org is generally more open and more forgiving when the random BS "take control away from your character" nonsense happens.

I'm not looking forward to beta. At least to my memory, beta used to be a really iterative process with lots of communication between the devs and players - particularly with class changes. Then it was radio silence until the next beta lol.

However, over the last couple of expansions, things seem locked in once it hit beta and any testing the players do is ignored. I always interpreted that as kinda fucked up because it shows that they trust their internal alpha testing over any amount of player feedback. Going into shadowlands, people know that the class/spec they see at beta will be what's there until the next expansion. I don't like their hands-off approach compared to how it used to be.

I'm hoping that they're actually applying the lessons learned from BFA to SL Beta because they need to listen to feedback. I was saying this yesterday that I don't think developers should cave to players/fans in most cases but with WoW there are so many people who play at a high level and theorycraft. Most other games could only dream of having that many people research having that much free data thrown their way. I'm, at best, an above-average player so I don't think I could offer a lot but you see these people who are just so intelligent and really know what they're doing and that should be an asset during beta. Stop ignoring free advice/info/testing.

And if they're going to ignore it then they need to call it a "stress test" because it's not a beta if bugs/feedback are ignored.

Oct 25, 2017
I do not envy bliz devs where they have to walk the line to satisfy many different types of players. I think the different types of players goes well beyond casual and hardcore, with innumerable cross sections.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The worst part about Blizzard being so unresponsive to testing is when they have extended test cycles like the 8.3 PTR, and everything that was commonly being reported (vessels being too hard to get, corruption balance, the long reputation grinds, etc) started getting ignored after it was up for a month or two.

I get that they don't want to cave to every player complaint but at the same time we saw this all coming.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I don't envy them either but I'm more concerned about the playability of the game. Yes, there needs to be class, story, gameplay balance but bugs and other things that were reported in beta that were ignored for two major patches (and even some now) are inexcusable.

They can't satisfy every player but there's a great amount of documentation of how much was disregarded during BFA and it points to Ion and Co as being dismissive with more "You think you know (do) but you don't." It's time to get him a co-developer or something to shake things up. Fresh blood is needed in some way, shape, or form. There's a lot that shouldn't have made it to live servers in 8.0 and a few things that came pretty late when they should have been there at launch.

I realize they were rushed and that's not their fault but that also ties back to Blizzard. We were -fine- in Legion and most people were enjoying the game. Another month or two wouldn't have hurt anything.

Oct 25, 2017
If I think back, my biggest gripe with BFA at the start was how M+ had very little access to azerite gear. They addressed that a bit by titan residium, some better pvp access, and some better access through world quests. I know I had at least one other problem, which was likely the balance of specific traits, which was somewhat addressed I suppose. I know sin rogue had gone from X is always best to a couple varieties.

I think with the next expansion they need to make M+ rewards more controlled. And from what I understand, they are doing that. But to what extent? I guess we will see. Hopefully a happy balance is struck.

I actually like the lack of forging and its replacement being largely non-stat stuff that you cannot pile on endlessly. They need to improve that system for sure, even if it were balanced. I do not want to remove corruption affix from my gear permanently (it is permanent right?) to later find out that... well I should not have because I picked up an improvement on my 1 piece of corrupted gear that lets me wear the other piece without problem.

I sort of like the direction they have gone over the expansion, they do need to just ensure they polish it and introduce new things in a better state than they have been though.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I liked M+ a lot in Legion but BFA's class design and the fucking tunnel hallways (plus the general limp of 8.0) made me burnout on BFA dungeons back when they launched. I hope it's better in SL. They do need more controlled rewards and I think less of them IMO. Corruption is a good idea on paper and I think it's better than WF/TF in a lot of ways but it's clear it's a test run. I want to know what the SL equivalent will be.

I also think that they need to be more proactive to address concerns and also more willing to make things account bound within reasons. Essences may affect player power but making them account bound means everyone gets equal footing so it doesn't adversely affect anyone. They still have to "put in the work" to earn them but it's extremely alt unfriendly as it stands. While the New Game + idea of SL is super intriguing I really hope they've learned that making alts have to grind out nearly as much as a main doesn't keep people playing. It just makes people find a character, generally, and stick with it. I have 10+ characters at 120 and only two of them are geared in any sense of the word. I don't have the time or desire to grind out conquest on every alt or get them all raid geared AND FIND ANOTHER TWO DAYS IN MY WEEK to raid on them for essences. Hard pass. No. This was a huge oversight and it needs to be corrected.

Sorry, I need more caffeine and this shit still gets me mad.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The worst part about Blizzard being so unresponsive to testing is when they have extended test cycles like the 8.3 PTR, and everything that was commonly being reported (vessels being too hard to get, corruption balance, the long reputation grinds, etc) started getting ignored after it was up for a month or two.

I get that they don't want to cave to every player complaint but at the same time we saw this all coming.
They used to have conversations about those things. I agree that you can't cave to every complaint, but they used to at least engage and explain their reasoning. Now it's just silence. Bless anyone who still tests this stuff for them knowing that the feedback is likely not even read.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
They used to have conversations about those things. I agree that you can't cave to every complaint, but they used to at least engage and explain their reasoning. Now it's just silence. Bless anyone who still tests this stuff for them knowing that the feedback is likely not even read.

And when it's not silence it's "We 'understand' but (paraphrasing) we know why this works and you don't."

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I like how time mage and tank shaman are such obvious gimmes that they appear in every one of these fantasy 4th spec lists.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The only lame one was the Pilgrim Missionary Priest or whatever. lol.

--

Just heal pugged a 10. First 10 pug I've been invited to (done a few with guidlies). Great experience. Intense. Volcanic can fuck off. It was Tol Dagor too, so that shit was ridiculous with the tight hallways. No more tight hallways plz Blizz, plz plz plz

--

Random thought -- how much does a Brutosaur cost in real-world monies, if you buy gold with tokens?
Answer: $827 CDN. (lol)

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
So, remembering that Timewalking is great levelling experience, I googled "Blood Death Knight Easy Mode", found this, got going in minutes, and flew up a level per TW run. Not even rested, AND I forgot to use the Garrison pots and Draughts from BFA. Whoops.

Fun. Brainless. Insta-queues, obviously. DK is finally clicking for me after fucking 12 years.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

SNAP. Yes please. We need news soon! 8.3 is going about as well as any patch imo, but it'll run out of juice soon. SL news + a sorely needed 8.3.5 (I know it's not happening) are just what the game would need to be sustained through to August. Given 8.3.5 isn't happening, and SL probably *won't* be out till like November, yeah, shit sucks... lol

Who's typically invited to the Alpha? Only friends and family? Are media/press/game sites ever invited?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, remembering that Timewalking is great levelling experience, I googled "Blood Death Knight Easy Mode", found this, got going in minutes, and flew up a level per TW run. Not even rested, AND I forgot to use the Garrison pots and Draughts from BFA. Whoops.

Fun. Brainless. Insta-queues, obviously. DK is finally clicking for me after fucking 12 years.

Welcome to the club! Suffer well.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will probably level my DK as blood. But we will see... since I am waiting for shadowlands level revamp!

image.png

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm serious. Pick the right date and get a fancy tag of your choice.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
Still so hyped despite my disappointments with BFA.

I know we had a separate alpha/beta thread for BFA. Will we do the same or keep all of the discussion in here?

Status
Not open for further replies.