• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Loot question that came up yesterday.

We down Ilgy, and a corrupted version of the shield drops for me. Mostly lovely, but I'm still playing catch-up on my cloak for a bit, and the shield currently sends me into uncomfortable-corruption territory for a tank (i.e. the Thing From Beyond area, which is pretty much a no-no).

My cotank - who's been raiding a little longer and so is a bit ahead of me - also had the shield drop, albeit without corruption, he didn't particularly need it, so he put it up for rolls as we do, and I put myself down for a minor upgrade roll; unwilling to take priority over straight 'needs', but it would be of a benefit, and I made it perfectly clear to the group that I was rolling explicitly as a short-term upgrade until I get my cloak up a couple of ranks to be back in safe corruption territory.

The actual end result for us was academic - no-one else was interested, so I got it anyway - but it did get me thinking about how to field that question if it comes up around a more contentious item; is it okay to say "this item is explicitly going to fill a gap until I am able to make use of this other item I have"? I certainly wouldn't ever give it priority over any explicit full needs, but it's also not really something that fits with our guild concept of a "minor upgrade".

(It strikes me that this is not too dissimilar to the "caster using a staff, but wanting to take an offhand item that they can't properly use until they get a 1h to go with it" question that occasionally crops up)

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Loot question that came up yesterday.

We down Ilgy, and a corrupted version of the shield drops for me. Mostly lovely, but I'm still playing catch-up on my cloak for a bit, and the shield currently sends me into uncomfortable-corruption territory for a tank (i.e. the Thing From Beyond area, which is pretty much a no-no).

My cotank - who's been raiding a little longer and so is a bit ahead of me - also had the shield drop, albeit without corruption, he didn't particularly need it, so he put it up for rolls as we do, and I put myself down for a minor upgrade roll; unwilling to take priority over straight 'needs', but it would be of a benefit, and I made it perfectly clear to the group that I was rolling explicitly as a short-term upgrade until I get my cloak up a couple of ranks to be back in safe corruption territory.

The actual end result for us was academic - no-one else was interested, so I got it anyway - but it did get me thinking about how to field that question if it comes up around a more contentious item; is it okay to say "this item is explicitly going to fill a gap until I am able to make use of this other item I have"? I certainly wouldn't ever give it priority over any explicit full needs, but it's also not really something that fits with our guild concept of a "minor upgrade".

(It strikes me that this is not too dissimilar to the "caster using a staff, but wanting to take an offhand item that they can't properly use until they get a 1h to go with it" question that occasionally crops up)
I haven't seriously raided since Cataclysm, so I dunno what the common thing to do these days is, but in my old guild when something like that came up we'd make it a small discussion each time. Basically talk it over with everyone who needed it and then, if they were cool with it, the person would roll alongside them. So the people who could put it to immediate use would have veto in those situations.

Personally, if I already had a much better item I couldn't use just yet, I'd probably bow out of something like that. If it's that desirable or needed, I'd probably put the needs of the group first and just focus on getting to a point where I could use the better item (or just wait for the item in question to drop again at a time where it wasn't as contentious a situation).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, if I already had a much better item I couldn't use just yet, I'd probably bow out of something like that.

That's usually what I do, and what I'd probably have done if anyone else had actually wanted it; I very often will present a "It's an upgrade, but I'll pass for anyone else" answer. I'd still take it over transmog greeds (our lowest priority!) but nothing else.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
How long do we have to wear the embarrassing avatar for if we're wrong? And just so I understand the rules -- the winner (closest) gets a sweet tag, and everyone else has to wear the shitty avatar? lol. Sounds like a lot of losers. But I SHALL BE ONE OF THEM.

B-Dubs put me down for September 21, 2020!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...

...Burning Crusade servers announced soon? lol

I heard something about a PTR for classic being spotted on the blizz servers recently, so that would make sense.

Edit: It does seem early, though. I would imagine they would at least have all vanilla content out for a bit before gearing up for BC.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
How long do we have to wear the embarrassing avatar for if we're wrong? And just so I understand the rules -- the winner (closest) gets a sweet tag, and everyone else has to wear the shitty avatar? lol. Sounds like a lot of losers. But I SHALL BE ONE OF THEM.

B-Dubs put me down for September 21, 2020!
Until the game comes out. So from announcement day to release day.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this is from the BFA Wiki page:

"The expansion was announced at BlizzCon 2017 on November 3, 2017.[1] Battle for Azeroth started restricted alpha testing in early February 2018.[14] Public beta testing began in late April 2018.[15] Blizzard revealed the release date on April 5, 2018 alongside a collector's edition.[16]"

I guess we might actually be on schedule for late summer release after all!

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I finally got to replace Geti'ikku last night. I got it at the tail end of 8.1 from a M+ and it forged to 430 which made it already insanely strong. It also happened to be the BiS weapon for Blood DKs in 8.2 and with 430 being the loot level of Heroic Eternal Palace I rocked that damn thing all the way through last night so after LITERALLY MONTHS I GOT A NEW WEAPON! The creepy axe off of Maut! Now I don't have a final 430 holding my ilvl back!

Capture.PNG

What about people submitting the same date? I want september 8, 2020, as well B-Dubs
Hmm, I'll let Milo Rambaldi decide that one. We all know the days Blizzard likes to release expansions, so I figure why not.

I don't see why multiple people couldn't get the title - as long as B-Dubs is okay with that. I'm leaning toward "Jailer of the Damned" to fit in with the theme of Shadowlands so that also works for multiple people, IMO.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Fun internet analysis while I work on guessing the Shadowlands date:

The longest expansion was Mists at 26 months

The shortest was Warlords at 21 months.

BfA has currently been out for 18 months. So the earliest Shadowlands could come out is May (lol) and the latest being October.

Shadowlands Prequel novel comes out 7/14.

BfA Prequel novel came out 6/12 with BfA coming out 8/14.

Lock me in for September 15th, 2020 for Shadowlands release date! B-Dubs

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
but for real though - Classic and other vintage server stuff should be asked/posted over there. This topic is for retail and beyond. I don't even post Classic news anymore now that someone has made that OT.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
You should ask in the classic OT but my guess is never because Pandas ruined the game for being too Nintendo kiddie and there were too many QoL changes by that time making the game too casual. MoP was just a game. Classic was an experience.

Nah man the game was actually ruined back in WotLK when they introduced LFG.

True Warcrafters like myself only use the global channels to assemble a group.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm abstaining from the release date betting pool because the loser avatar is causing me mental trauma

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm abstaining from the release date betting pool because the loser avatar is causing me mental trauma

Isn't that kinda the Old God's whole thing? You can dish it out but you can't take it, I see.

I'm surprised you can even see the screen through those rose-colored glasses.

I bet you never even played the vanilla beta like I did, a true fan. I even have the panda, diablo, and zergling pets.

um excuse u i played video games which is the source of the world of the craft of the war so i win. fucking casual.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Not willing to risk the ugly Sylvanas avatar but there is no way this gets delayed out of 2020. Blizzard are releasing things based on financial deadlines at this point, not based on accepted quality levels, as both BFA and WC3 Reforged are evidence of. That said if I was betting on a release time I'd think late October.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Not willing to risk the ugly Sylvanas avatar but there is no way this gets delayed out of 2020. Blizzard are releasing things based on financial deadlines at this point, not based on accepted quality levels, as both BFA and WC3 Reforged are evidence of. That said if I was betting on a release time I'd think late October.

excuse u - graphic design is my passion (and other internet memes)

rude

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
One constant I love about this game is no matter what, there's always somebody out there willing to pay 20k for a crap piece of gear on the auction house. I don't know who out there is actually buying this crap ilevel 400 crafted gear, but I'll keep posting it.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I was on my way to defeating Alleria, got her to tenish percent after finishing the other 4 objectives... and I disconnected.

FML

But at least I got my cape to 11.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
75 is the last level of AP as far as I'm concerned. The desire to get anything beyond that is zero point zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.