• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If you are on Herod, heavy consider going on Stalagg, I know my whole guild is having a vote about it sunday.

There's a group of guild that had a meeting for the Herod server, we counted nearly 10000 raiders. Without counting Good Squad & Grizzly, on each bring in nearly 1000 members. Plus all the random people and private server guilds.

From what i heard on the inside, Herod will NOT be an enjoyable launch with Insane queue's.

Again, I REALLY recommend not going to Herod.

I think Herod is the best choice by far. You should keep in mind that the surge of players will draw down significantly after a month or two so while Herod might be rough at the start I think long term you will want your character there because when the population does dwindle the other servers will end up low pop while Herod will still be high and playing on a high pop server in Classic will be the best experience. Server transfers will not be a thing I don't think.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the fear of long queues is being overstated. Yes, on launch there will be a queue. It's also going to be the worst day to start on any server.

I'd rather have deal with a queue now then low pop later. But we won't know how bad it is exactly til launch anyway.

As for server transfers, I don't know what they said but they did exist in classic near the end.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
I said what I had to say and sadly cannot say more.

I want people to have fun, that's all I want. But if I see a 20k queue that will take 2-3 hours and an insane amount of layering because there's basically the population of 10 Vanilla WoW servers on 1 server. You'll see me poping with a ''told you so''.

This is WoW beta all over again and everyone rolling on Archimonde. If you were there, you know how horrible it was when top guild with 200+ members have the monopoly on everything. (Gathering nodes, world buffs,etc)

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think they will cap the pops as low as they were in actual vanilla with such better hardware. Besides, I also have to agree, I would endure it, for the certainty of a high pop realm.

There are negatives, noone will deny that, but the benefits outweigh them imo.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played this game since lich King, but for some reason classic had me curious to come back again.

I'm thinking about going alliance since I was mostly horde back when I really played, see how it is on the other side. But I'm also thinking about doing a warlock and for some reason I can't quite remember I recall being an alliance warlock I really bad idea. Is that a real issue just something I remembering badly?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this game since lich King, but for some reason classic had me curious to come back again.

I'm thinking about going alliance since I was mostly horde back when I really played, see how it is on the other side. But I'm also thinking about doing a warlock and for some reason I can't quite remember I recall being an alliance warlock I really bad idea. Is that a real issue just something I remembering badly?

You are probably mis-remembering, yeah. There are no faction-specific considerations for playing a Warlock in classic beyond any other class.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
You are probably mis-remembering, yeah. There are no faction-specific considerations for playing a Warlock in classic beyond any other class.

Just hit me. Will of the forsaken. The most common hord race has a fear break and didn't it give him like immunity for some time back in vanilla

I intend on doing some light PVPing so that may be an issue

data west

Oct 25, 2017
You know what's funny about Classic?

'Horde has to have blood elves, it's why their population is so high. They wouldn't play Horde otherwise'
Classic comes out
No Blood Elves
By far and away the most popular faction is the Horde based on Beta.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Had to have that new toy in the store which turns you into powerful figures from the game. Looking pretty hot as Lady Whitemane.

Rokam

Oct 29, 2017
I just realized that if we get a Dragon focused patch or expansion.. we may actually get to fight Chromatus.
Chromatus.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Alas, I'm the lone Alliance holdout for Classic in my friend group. Nobody wants to be on the 'losing' side in terms of faction balance. Probably roll an Alliance alt on another server for that nostalgia hit and because I don't think most of them will play that much anyway.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
quick question: i haven't played wow since vanilla, but thought i'd play a month or so of classic for the nostalgia. i have friends who will also play and have already signed up, so if their server is full at launch i can't join them? i don't actually know if their server is full or not, but seems like most of them are getting pretty crowded.

basically, is "full" a strict "can't join here, fuck your friends" type of deal, or is it a "long queues, join if you're stupid" thing?

Oct 25, 2017
quick question: i haven't played wow since vanilla, but thought i'd play a month or so of classic for the nostalgia. i have friends who will also play and have already signed up, so if their server is full at launch i can't join them? i don't actually know if their server is full or not, but seems like most of them are getting pretty crowded.

basically, is "full" a strict "can't join here, fuck your friends" type of deal, or is it a "long queues, join if you're stupid" thing?

They don't close character creation afaik. I think it would have to be listed as "locked" for that to happen, which prevents new players from creating new characters but not old.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
I just realized that if we get a Dragon focused patch or expansion.. we may actually get to fight Chromatus.
Yooo! I was out of the game Cataclysm up to Legion but tried to stay current lorewise with the books. I was dumbfounded after reading The Shattering that Chromagus was never an in-game boss (or even mentioned?).

One thing that bothers me about Blizz is how many significant story beats are NOT in game. Calia being the most recent egregious example who is possibly lining up to be a major player next patch.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yooo! I was out of the game Cataclysm up to Legion but tried to stay current lorewise with the books. I was dumbfounded after reading The Shattering that Chromagus was never an in-game boss (or even mentioned?).

One thing that bothers me about Blizz is how many significant story beats are NOT in game. Calia being the most recent egregious example who is possibly lining up to be a major player next patch.
Chromatus was probably intended to be a boss fight in Dragon Soul, probably at the point where Ultraxion is now... particularly since Ultraxion drops a chromatic dragon mount alongside referencing a few of Nefarion's experiments with his drops.

Cataclysm was very, very bad about not following through on the story beats they set up, because I guess we need to spend time on Thrall and Agra falling in love instead of the Well of Eternity or Neptulon's story or the very reason why Blackwing Descent was going to be relevant to the overarching plot of the expansion at all.

bizzuh

Feb 26, 2019
United States
Suddenly got super excited about Classic again after putting it out of my head because it was a long ways off, but I did resub to reserve a couple names. Same name as here and my (random schedule) Twitch channel, Alliance on Fairbanks and Horde on Stalagg. Not sure which I want to focus on but I'm leaning Horde due to playing Forsaken back in the day.

Since I resubbed I logged into retail for the first time in forever and realized I have absolutely no idea what to do; where to put talents, where to start questing again, or what happened to stats on gear. It's confusing! Thinking about reading a guide for returning players but I also don't want to burn out before Classic... Last time I played was leveling in Legion before deciding my Shadow Priest just wasn't fun anymore and didn't feel like rolling a new character since I had been playing as him since Burning Crusade launch. I have so many things you can't get in the game anymore, it'll be awesome to finally pick up Benediction again.

What a good quest and test for priest players, I highly, highly recommend people look it up if they aren't playing priest.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Alas, I'm the lone Alliance holdout for Classic in my friend group. Nobody wants to be on the 'losing' side in terms of faction balance. Probably roll an Alliance alt on another server for that nostalgia hit and because I don't think most of them will play that much anyway.

It's only biased to the horde for PVP. Anyone interested in any form of PvE is going Alliance because.... well you'd be an idiot not too knowing what we now know.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Whats the best race class for killing rogues on either faction for classic? I used to hate getting ganked by rogues more than anything back when i played so now feels like as good as time as any to pay it back.

For class I've heard Warlock, hunter, or s priest. Orcs are almost certainly the best horde, but i'm leaning towards alliance. Dwarfs seem the best for them, as stoneskin increases surviabiliy and removes poisons but i'm not sure. Thoughts?

Also: weird, i just restarted my old account to reserve some names, but can find any of my old characters on non-classic retail. Is that normal? I had some level 70ish and i'd hate to lose them. I suppose they could have been removed to free up the names but would the characters be gone entirely? How do i get them back?

Anyone playing Alliance on Atiesh?

I could be. I'm not married to server yet. Do we have a pve server?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Dwarf is definitely the best. Stoneform can wipe their poisons and even breaks Blind in Classic WoW I believe.

The class though? I dunno, Maybe a Dwarf Hunter or perhaps Dwarf Warrior. Honestly, maybe even a Dwarf Shadow priest. The Desperate Prayer free 65% heal, on top of poison break from Stone form, and DoT damage + engineering grenades or something would make you a serious problem for a Rogue.

bizzuh

Feb 26, 2019
United States
Shadow priests in Classic are definitely a "turn and walk away" class in world PvP if you see a hostile one! The combo of the strongest DoT in the game, a fear, racial abilities on Dwarf/Troll/Undead, Shadowform reducing all damage taken , and being able to heal is very strong out in the world. A rogue getting off a worse opener than usual then getting slammed with Shadow Word Pain makes them rethink their gank, especially if you can juke their kicks with a Smite! The main issue with Shadow is mana management really, in battlegrounds and raids you'll have issues. Not to mention other players will groan that you aren't healing.

If you want to play a tanky spellcaster and don't care for pets I'd suggest Shadow 110%, I played it for most of classic until my guild got more serious and had me to switch to Power Infusion/Shadow Weaving healer.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I can't decide what to play in classic. Used to play a warrior but i remember how shitty lvling was. Tempted to go rogue for some nice pvp.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Shadow priests in Classic are definitely a "turn and walk away" class in world PvP if you see a hostile one! The combo of the strongest DoT in the game, a fear, racial abilities on Dwarf/Troll/Undead, Shadowform reducing all damage taken , and being able to heal is very strong out in the world. A rogue getting off a worse opener than usual then getting slammed with Shadow Word Pain makes them rethink their gank, especially if you can juke their kicks with a Smite! The main issue with Shadow is mana management really, in battlegrounds and raids you'll have issues. Not to mention other players will groan that you aren't healing.

If you want to play a tanky spellcaster and don't care for pets I'd suggest Shadow 110%, I played it for most of classic until my guild got more serious and had me to switch to Power Infusion/Shadow Weaving healer.

You know I was actually already planning on rolling a priest as an alt. It was the one class I never really touched back when I played. Maybe I'll just make it my main.

Thanks.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can't decide what to play in classic. Used to play a warrior but i remember how shitty lvling was. Tempted to go rogue for some nice pvp.

Back in 2006 I leveled a warrior as an Alt character and it was actually pretty enjoyable because being able to funnel cash and gear down to an alt that is so gear and consumable dependent is a lifesaver. Always having the best bandages or potions or swords makes a world of difference. Food for thought.

Edit: Just looked at his /played and it was around 7 days. I'm also sure I could do it faster nowadays.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Signed up for a month of WoW Classic just to try and reserve the name Precattleclysm for my Tauren but the name was too long.

First World of Warcraft problems

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back in 2006 I leveled a warrior as an Alt character and it was actually pretty enjoyable because being able to funnel cash and gear down to an alt that is so gear and consumable dependent is a lifesaver. Always having the best bandages or potions or swords makes a world of difference. Food for thought.

Edit: Just looked at his /played and it was around 7 days. I'm also sure I could do it faster nowadays.
My warrior alt back then was a twink at 29 for a while, which meant I got the crusader enchant on my 2h axe and that made all the difference when I started leveling again. I used that weapon to almost max level because the enchant was just so strong. But of course that's not realistic for someone's first character.

Later that same character was my rune/felcloth farm bot as fury, dual wielding crusaders made her an unstoppable killing machine even with just basic dungeon gear.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Been finding lots of people from classic/BC these past days. Feels like one big reunion. I love it.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
We had a staff meeting on Thursday at work and someone I've never interacted with discovered I play WoW and came up to me all excited and asked me if I was playing Classic.

He couldn't wrap his head around the idea that I wasn't going to. He just didn't get it.

Nice guy though so at least I know at least one other person at my job shares a similar interest.

Oct 25, 2017
Is bagnon not available yet to install for classic via twitch app? Not seeing it listed.
EDIT: apparently not according to reddit.

Last edited:

evilpigking

Oct 25, 2017
Debating between Druid and Paladin for classic...Druid prob more fun but only having Brez is such a pain for 5 mans

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
Nov 1, 2017

I don't remember shadow priest being strong in vanilla, not to say they might not have been but I don't recall it.

I did one shot a priest way back in the day when the alliance scum was trying to camp our grave yard once. I geeked out over that, another player who saw it had to ask me about it because he couldn't believe it either.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Man, I kinda forgot how gear dependent warriors were back then. Part of me looks at some of the guides that various places have put out and can just spot the mistakes though.

bizzuh

Feb 26, 2019
United States
Shadow was pretty rare in Vanilla but very strong in 1v1 due to their toolset. Battlegrounds... not so much. You can just shut down any class and heal on top of the chance to stun on shadow damage from the talent Blackout though. I played one from Vanilla all the way through Cataclysm before losing interest with the direction the game was heading.

I think I've decided on being the Power Infusion/Shadow Weaver in raids because I'm the weirdo who loves more complex rotations than just casting the right rank heal. Not to mention all the love I'll get from healing while buffing the mages to hilarious damage. Always been a fan of support roles in MMOs rather than pure damage or healing. Tanking is fun but it's like 99% warriors 1% bears for certain things so it's way more limited in Vanilla.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Man, I kinda forgot how gear dependent warriors were back then. Part of me looks at some of the guides that various places have put out and can just spot the mistakes though.

A friend of mine found a guide that recommended Shaman level with a 2h sword... everyone is just trying to cash in on Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.