• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
My WoW subscription ends tomorrow, but I'm rethinking on whether or not to re-sub. I have a co-worker that plays and the times we've gotten together has been fun. BUT he's been playing a Horde toon he leveled just for that purpose. If I really wanted to commit, I'm looking to do a server and faction change. Which is okay.

However, how does everyone manage playing WoW and all the other great games out there? That is my biggest internal struggle: how do I balance the dedication to WoW, all of the great games looming on the horizon, and real-life?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
My WoW subscription ends tomorrow, but I'm rethinking on whether or not to re-sub. I have a co-worker that plays and the times we've gotten together has been fun. BUT he's been playing a Horde toon he leveled just for that purpose. If I really wanted to commit, I'm looking to do a server and faction change. Which is okay.

However, how does everyone manage playing WoW and all the other great games out there? That is my biggest internal struggle: how do I balance the dedication to WoW, all of the great games looming on the horizon, and real-life?

you dont

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

I get more gaming in when I complete my raid goals for whatever patch is current. Otherwise I feel tremendous guilt for not constantly trying to improve my character.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WoW these days is such a massive behemoth with so many activities you can do, you can put in as much or as little time as you want and still do *something* that advances you. I don't raid, barely run dungeons, at the moment I'm pretty much focused on getting Pathfinder, and that's it. That's maybe an hour a day. If I feel like it, I'll spend some time leveling an alt. Leaves plenty of time for other games. It's on you to not let it take over everything else.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

It's hard. I missed a ton of good games and other activities to WoW over the years, but eventually learned to find balance. When new content comes out, I will obsessively blow through it, but then I'll put the game on a back burner so I can play other things.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I have never played WoW. I see it's currently discounted on the Blizzard Store, so I was wondering if I could jump in and enjoy the story at my own pace or if it's just too late for me at this point. Last MMORPG I played was GW2, but I feel like trying something different.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I have never played WoW. I see it's currently discounted on the Blizzard Store, so I was wondering if I could jump in and enjoy the story at my own pace or if it's just too late for me at this point. Last MMORPG I played was GW2, but I feel like trying something different.

There's a lot of content. As a new player you could choose to "power level" and just go through as quickly as you can or you could take your time and enjoy it for as long as you like and level a bit more "naturally." Either way, it's never too late. There's so much to do and many different approaches you could take. It's enjoyable, mostly, and super easy for a new person to step into. You should give it a shot.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I was in the same position as you around 2 years ago.
The 1-110 leveling experience is pretty jank, 1-60 now scales with you but you level up a lot faster than it was designed for, so youre probably just gonna do 1/4th of the zones, the old expansions are then "bundled" into the same level range, so TBC and WoTLK are at the same range, Cata and Pandaria are the same, then for the more recent expansions like WoD, Legion you just have those for their level range, you're gonna outlevel everything midway through though, there's nothing stopping you from just doing the expansions even though youre outleveling it except the loot not getting better and not getting exp.
The leveling experience is a pretty mixed bag, I personally enjoyed a lot of the 1 to 60 regions but a lot of people dislike it, TBC is not a lot of fun leveling so if you get that far I'd recommend doing the Lich King instead, and so forth, I did the Cata stuff instead of Pandaria but I've heard it's alright.
The newer expansions have a far more curated and focused narrative, so the leveling in WoD, Legion and BfA are generally pretty good with lots of cutscenes and narrative driven "scenarios".

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Meh, I feel like they should at least add something new every year for the holidays. At least Winter's Veil gets a new present.

They kind of had been for Hallow's End at least.

2018 added the Headless Horseman's Hearthstone.
2017 added the Naxxy pet, a Xavius costume, and a horse costume toy.
2016 added a Grommash costume, and cosmetic witch hats.
2015 added three new pets, two toys, the Deathwing costume, and Garrison decorations.

Which makes 2019 even more disappointing, frankly. :\

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
They kind of had been for Hallow's End at least.

2018 added the Headless Horseman's Hearthstone.
2017 added the Naxxy pet, a Xavius costume, and a horse costume toy.
2016 added a Grommash costume, and cosmetic witch hats.
2015 added three new pets, two toys, the Deathwing costume, and Garrison decorations.

Which makes 2019 even more disappointing, frankly. :\

Oh I actually forgot about the hearthstone things, I was on a break last October so I missed out on that, so technically I do get a new item this year!! lol.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll grab the hearthstone since I have pretty much everything else. I enjoy the holiday on its own though, it's probably my favorite of the in-game events.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
My little old server is far too quiet and you can never get a town fire put out, it's a shame.

Also, Classic has Hallow's End on right now too, if you fancy seeing just how much it has changed over the years.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'll grab the hearthstone since I have pretty much everything else. I enjoy the holiday on its own though, it's probably my favorite of the in-game events.

I love all the new hearthstones. My favorite is the one from Love is in the Air. My Hunter uses it all the time. I need to figure out how to make a macro to use them randomly since I have a bunch now.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
All the Hearthstones are awesome but I burned myself out years ago doing What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been (like the first year it was available) and I have never wanted to do holidays since. I got the Midsummer one and I think that's it for me. Now that's something I'd spend money on: the ability to just microtransaction holiday items.

Save your judgment for someone who cares because I definitely do not.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I just went ham on Brewfest to get the toys since I was only a few away from the mount, but now that I'm done with that I'm kinda in the camp of not caring about Hallow's End.

I would probably break myself to get a second Hearthstone if they added it, though...

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My little old server is far too quiet and you can never get a town fire put out, it's a shame.

IIRC, they scale based on the amount of people in the vicinity. I'm fairly sure I've managed to put one out solo at Azure Watch. It does help a *lot* to have the broom by that point, though.

That said, I haven't tried it recently, so for all I know I could have inadvertently benefited from a bug or something!

Edit: Thinking about it, that was before crossrealm in low-level zones, so I dunno if that might have an impact these days.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
IIRC, they scale based on the amount of people in the vicinity. I'm fairly sure I've managed to put one out solo at Azure Watch. It does help a *lot* to have the broom by that point, though.

The current Elwynn one is certainly impossible solo. At least, without the broom. The fire spreads on just one building faster than you can run, and there are two of the damn things on fire.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The current Elwynn one is certainly impossible solo. At least, without the broom. The fire spreads on just one building faster than you can run, and there are two of the damn things on fire.
Elwynn's often got a quiet population, even if they're not participating. That's what can make Azure Watch a good choice.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
All the Hearthstones are awesome but I burned myself out years ago doing What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been (like the first year it was available) and I have never wanted to do holidays since. I got the Midsummer one and I think that's it for me. Now that's something I'd spend money on: the ability to just microtransaction holiday items.

Save your judgment for someone who cares because I definitely do not.

I got all the holiday achievements done the first year they were out except for a Brewfest and Winter Veil. I can't remember why I didn't do Brewfest achievements but I ended up getting it done around WoD. Winter Veil I didn't do the first year because I didn't have high enough cooking and I never wanted to do the pvp achievement. Last year I finally committed to finish it. I got lucky and joined a big incursion pvp group and there was nearly an equal amount of alliance. I sat in the back dotting everything up and got it finished pretty quick. Then I went and finally did the cooking achievement as well as a couple others I had left, finally getting my violet proto-drake.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ew0exfw.png

welp, those Tinkers better be real because I wont use mechagnomes with any other class >_>

Now, where to find 419k gold to get that mount...

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So... did I hear that they were bringing back refer a friend? I could SWEAR there was something out there about that.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
So... did I hear that they were bringing back refer a friend? I could SWEAR there was something out there about that.
Yeah when I heard about it first about a month ago I hit up everyone I knew because I REALLY want the camel mount and the backpack model but not sure if I want it pay 3 months and dual box want. But i really really neeeed it

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So... 4 DK swords = 4th spec = everyone gets a 4th spec = that's why the devs were so excited to show us what they were up to?

I'm kidding btw but this is actually something I've been wanting for years, in my ideal wow world I would make every class a hybrid and would give for example mages and hunters a healing spec (hunters shooting medicine Ana style but now that's what I want tinkers to be, mages using time magic to reverse wounds etc), Lovks and rogues would get tank specs etc.

Last edited:

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
So... 4 DK swords = 4th spec = everyone gets a 4th spec = that's why the devs were so excited to show us what they were up to?

I'm kidding btw but this is actually something I've been wanting for years, in my ideal wow world I would make every class a hybrid and would give for example images and hunters a healing spec (hunters shooting medicine Ana style but now that's what I want tinkers to be, mages using time magic to reverse wounds etc), Lovks and rogues would get tank specs etc.

I mean Blizz devs have been literally hyping this Blizzcon up since last blizzcon if you listen to any WoW related podcasts like the Instance and Azeroth Round Table.

And given how expansions are usually planned years ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if we did get 1 more spec for each class, especially if they've been working on this expansion for 3 years now.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer they fix the classes first instead of making new specs. And get rid of the fucking delay they put into the game with the timer between actions. Fucking ridiculous.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Blizz devs have been literally hyping this Blizzcon up since last blizzcon if you listen to any WoW related podcasts like the Instance and Azeroth Round Table.

And given how expansions are usually planned years ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if we did get 1 more spec for each class, especially if they've been working on this expansion for 3 years now.

1 new spec and a new class? I highly doubt that. It would be a hell of a BFA apology that's for sure.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
While I'm 90% sure that one of the swords will end up being a transmog reward and nothing more, I'd be in favor of new specs if they're going forward with the class unification like they alluded to. If they're going back to everyone having a similar set of abilities then an additional spec to mix things up to make up for the various spec build that were lost would probably be fine.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I'm not big on the idea of all classes can do everything. I'd prefer some roles stay with certain classes.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm 90% sure that one of the swords will end up being a transmog reward and nothing more, I'd be in favor of new specs if they're going forward with the class unification like they alluded to. If they're going back to everyone having a similar set of abilities then an additional spec to mix things up to make up for the various spec build that were lost would probably be fine.

Yea, basically a better vanilla talent system where you can mix and match spells and skills.

I don't know, I'm not big on the idea of all classes can do everything. I'd prefer some roles stay with certain classes

I think he means within the class specs, not every class can pick from a pool of skills. Like a Mage can mix and match Frost, Arcane and Fire.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't know, I'm not big on the idea of all classes can do everything. I'd prefer some roles stay with certain classes.
By class unification they mean reverting spec identity back to class identity. I.E. if you're a hybrid you'll stay a hybrid, but the various flavors of mage/warlock/hunter which all feel like completely different classes depending on what spec you choose are going to be at least a little more similar to each other.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I really want buffs back

And I want all Hunters to have Kill Shot again

And I miss Horn of Winter-ing on my DK to build RP

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
By class unification they mean reverting spec identity back to class identity. I.E. if you're a hybrid you'll stay a hybrid, but the various flavors of mage/warlock/hunter which all feel like completely different classes depending on what spec you choose are going to be at least a little more similar to each other.

Oh, that stuff! I completely misunderstood. Yeah, I can't wait for that. I don't know if it means the return of trees but I'd think it's got to be better than the current talent system.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I think he means within the class specs, not every class can pick from a pool of skills. Like a Mage can mix and match Frost, Arcane and Fire.

I'd prefer maybe subclass specialties like in DND. But the choices would have to be deeper into class fantasy, not just more random buttons to press.

Warrior > Barbarian Or Mageslayer
Monk > Various Ways
Priest > Mystic or Cleric of a diety
Hunter > Ranger or Gravewalker
Rogue > Blademaster or Ninja
Mage > Sorcerer or Alchemist

I also think Class Halls should be modestly updated for every expansion and be like the major cities for classes. We never got player housing, but Class Halls already exist and would be fun to make useful. They already have some customization for Legion. Just add space for armor sets and legendary gear. Guild Wars did it many, many years ago.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'd prefer maybe subclass specialties like in DND. But the choices would have to be deeper into class fantasy, not just more random buttons to press.

Warrior > Barbarian Or Mageslayer
Monk > Various Ways
Priest > Mystic or Cleric of a diety
Hunter > Ranger or Gravewalker
Rogue > Blademaster or Ninja
Mage > Sorcerer or Alchemist

I also think Class Halls should be modestly updated for every expansion and be like the major cities for classes. We never got player housing, but Class Halls already exist and would be fun to make useful. They already have some customization for Legion. Just add space for armor sets and legendary gear. Guild Wars did it many, many years ago.

Back when Class Halls were new I still wanted "prestige classes" like archmage and archdruid and stuff but then they went and made those titles. Though I'd still like to see a system like that implemented sometime.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I kinda liked that earlier (now completely debunked) leak that teased the idea of hero classes you unlocked as reskins of existing ones. The only one that I think would've actually worked is Necromancer as a reskin of warlock, but it would've been neat to see them explore other things.

Probably a huge burden on the art team to now have to do twice as much work on a single spell, though...

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I just want them to fix the fucking classes and give back some fucking abilities that ended up being spec specific instead of class specific. No reason killshot should have been taken from Beast Master hunters, no reason army of the dead was taken away from other DK specs, etc.

Question for you guys who make a lot of macros. How the fuck do you go through all the icons to find the right one you're looking for? There's sooooooo many.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I just want them to fix the fucking classes and give back some fucking abilities that ended up being spec specific instead of class specific. No reason killshot should have been taken from Beast Master hunters, no reason army of the dead was taken away from other DK specs, etc.

Question for you guys who make a lot of macros. How the fuck do you go through all the icons to find the right one you're looking for? There's sooooooo many.

I'm always sad when I play Frost DK because I liked Army and Soul Reaper. Like, I appreciated the flavor of each spec being somewhat unique but not all abilities needed to be spec specific. Some "cross pollination" is fine and I'm hopeful that returns - even if some of them are just in new talent rows. I hope we get at least two more rows especially if we don't get a level squish this time around.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

Put #showtooltip on the first line of the macro.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty much been my experience with WoW.
I get more gaming in when I complete my raid goals for whatever patch is current. Otherwise I feel tremendous guilt for not constantly trying to improve my character.
I, too, always chase the tail of the dragon. What are an example of your "raid goals", though?

WoW these days is such a massive behemoth with so many activities you can do, you can put in as much or as little time as you want and still do *something* that advances you. I don't raid, barely run dungeons, at the moment I'm pretty much focused on getting Pathfinder, and that's it. That's maybe an hour a day. If I feel like it, I'll spend some time leveling an alt. Leaves plenty of time for other games. It's on you to not let it take over everything else.
Pathfinder was my personal goal for the month sub that just lapsed. I got it and, wow, having flight again made everything so much more time efficient. I knew flight was gonna be a big help, I just didn't realize just how big it would be, though. Bear in mind, Mists of Pandaria was the last time I had flown in WoW (outside of older zones).

It's hard. I missed a ton of good games and other activities to WoW over the years, but eventually learned to find balance. When new content comes out, I will obsessively blow through it, but then I'll put the game on a back burner so I can play other things.
That's been a train of thought for me: the other games will still be around. So, focusing on the hot and now of WoW isn't that much of a detriment.

I take a prescription sleep drug, when needed. Last night I took it before bed and woke up this morning to the Battle.net app open where I had messaged my friend about how I wanted to re-sub. I have zero recollection of this.

The addiction is real. 😰

Status
Not open for further replies.