• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
This may of been asked already, but do all characters that are not max level but above level 50 automatically become level 50 with the new expansion?

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah....in and of itself, it wouldn't be a huge deal if we're looking in the context of BfA...

Except that we as players have actual 'official' external fiction that takes place before then (Edge of Night, Before the Storm, and to some extent, the three sisters comic) that gives voice to Sylvanas' plans at the time - that we have access to through actually 'seeing' her own internal motivations - in that she wanted to use the valky'r/the forsaken as a shield against going back to the Maw.

Of which, her (relatively) small actions in Legion make sense - she wants Helya's lantern to make more valky'r, and thus, enters some kind of mystery 'bargain' with her....and she also literally states that she didn't want to be warchief, and was doing it out of respect for Vol'jin.

(Granted, the 'mystery' bargain has a lot of the same narrative traps that JJ Abrams likes to use in the 'lots of mystery for everyone' level of bad writing, but it wasn't really followed up on at the time - I assume that by now, it's Helya asking to be freed in exchange for helping Sylv out)

Only now, that entire sequence has been changed, which leads to a new 'read' on the situation of the events of early BfA with the burning as a sacrifice to the Jailor instead of to decimate the alliance.

In and of itself, the retcon makes....at least some sense if we're limited to only looking at BfA - but it reverses a LOT of pre-published work/information about Sylvanas' motivations/goals.

In essence, it changes Sylvanas' even into more of a 'twirly-mustache' 4d evil chess player, because apparently, she was lying not only to others, but to her own internal monologues.

It's pretty evident Blizz had to massively course-adjust (and/or the rule of cool first and foremost) based on response to BfA, but this is.....bleargh.

I agree with everything except for the JJ Abrams thing. My name and my favorite TV universe in existence came from him. ;)

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything except for the JJ Abrams thing. My name and my favorite TV universe in existence came from him. ;)

Heh - mystery boxes aren't always bad, but the ratio of 'successful payoff' versus 'tease that ends up disappointing' is pretty poor, at least in my experience. And that's in more 'static' fiction, as opposed to something like WoW.

(Plus, Blizz has a pretty terrible track record with 'reveals'- i.e. the 'whodunit' of burning Teldrassil backfiring on them super hard)

The only question know is whether or not she ends up as a dungeon/raid boss, and/or goes Illidan 2.0. With how she's being set up, I don't think I can see her going 'back' from any of this without being shelved forever (or at least for an expansion or two)

I imagine Illidan 2.0 has her working 'with' the Jailor to get enough power to either overthrow him and thus subvert her own eventual trip to the maw, return some/most/all? of the souls she had murdered to get there, etc.... (seems less likely now)

While the more likely dungeon/raid boss end has her echoing some of what she says in A Good War or the end of the Three Sisters comic, in that she's trying to become the new Jailor/Arbitor and become the Lady/goddess of death, but gets smacked down by the players and the current Arbiter and gets either killed or sentenced to the Maw anyways for her evil actions.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, 8.3 is probably not coming this year according to ion.

Makes sense if shadowlands beta is still way off.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Heh - mystery boxes aren't always bad, but the ratio of 'successful payoff' versus 'tease that ends up disappointing' is pretty poor, at least in my experience. And that's in more 'static' fiction, as opposed to something like WoW.

(Plus, Blizz has a pretty terrible track record with 'reveals'- i.e. the 'whodunit' of burning Teldrassil backfiring on them super hard)

The only question know is whether or not she ends up as a dungeon/raid boss, and/or goes Illidan 2.0. With how she's being set up, I don't think I can see her going 'back' from any of this without being shelved forever (or at least for an expansion or two)

I imagine Illidan 2.0 has her working 'with' the Jailor to get enough power to either overthrow him and thus subvert her own eventual trip to the maw, return some/most/all? of the souls she had murdered to get there, etc.... (seems less likely now)

While the more likely dungeon/raid boss end has her echoing some of what she says in A Good War or the end of the Three Sisters comic, in that she's trying to become the new Jailor/Arbitor and become the Lady/goddess of death, but gets smacked down by the players and the current Arbiter and gets either killed or sentenced to the Maw anyways for her evil actions.

I was thinking about her journey compared to the journey of my favorite JJ character, Irina Derevko, after your comment and I can see a lot of similarities in how the writing has poorly handled the characters. In Irina's case, JJ handled her appearaces in her first season and everything after than was handled by different writers and no one knew what to do with her after JJ and while I love her it sucked.

Why do I torture myself like this?

this is extremely disappointing. I hope it's not the case because I think 8.2 ran its course a bit earlier with an (imo) not fun to repeat final raid boss and a really alt unfriendly essence system. All of it was fine the first time through but I'm not doing any of it seriously on an alt. No way.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
There are some serious signs that the WoW development team is struggling to keep up. From Azerite Armor being half baked at release to Mechagon and Allied races slipping to later patches.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
There are some serious signs that the WoW development team is struggling to keep up. From Azerite Armor being half baked at release to Mechagon and Allied races slipping to later patches.
I have to wonder just how much of an undertaking the level squish ends up being with stuff like this. I'm sure 8.3 is mostly a smaller crew while the art and engine guys prep for all the changes in Shadowlands and that probably factors into its development being a little slower... but given how much of the assets in 8.3 are reused it sort of makes you wonder.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what's required to get access to Cloud Serpents rn? It's very hard to find up-to-date information for some reason. Do you still need to do the rep with Order of the Cloud Serpent? Or is that only to be able to buy the mounts? And can you farm rep solely by collecting eggs?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Does anyone know what's required to get access to Cloud Serpents rn? It's very hard to find up-to-date information for some reason. Do you still need to do the rep with Order of the Cloud Serpent? Or is that only to be able to buy the mounts? And can you farm rep solely by collecting eggs?
You no longer need the training from them to ride any cloud serpents, but there's still 3 base colors tied to the rep.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
This may of been asked already, but do all characters that are not max level but above level 50 automatically become level 50 with the new expansion?
No. They talked about this in the deep dive panel yesterday. Basically you will be scaled down to a level equivalent to where you're currently at in the game. So if you're only level 50 now you're probably going to be in the 18-25 range.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My only question left is how does flight training work? If you choose Cataclysm to level can you fly off the bat? Does flight training scale down to like 25?

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
My only question left is how does flight training work? If you choose Cataclysm to level can you fly off the bat? Does flight training scale down to like 25?

I'm hoping they're just removing the restrictions for anything Pre-BFA (and in a perfect world - BFA as well) and just include them in flight training but we'll have to see. I haven't seen them address that specific question yet.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they're just removing the restrictions for anything Pre-BFA (and in a perfect world - BFA as well) and just include them in flight training but we'll have to see. I haven't seen them address that specific question yet.
Maybe they'll do what they're doing for zones and covenants where once you've done it on one character it's unlocked by default for every subsequent character from the start

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

They have to let you fly from the get go if you choose Cata, because you literally can't level in the cata zones without flying.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That's what I'm wondering. You can't even leave until lvl 10 though
With this new setup, they could easily just grant you flying account wide once you get something to 50 for the first time. Then you're free to do whatever. The higher speeds will probably still get locked behind something, but it seems like the easiest solution.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if it was just Loremaster and you could unlock it as soon as the expansion is out I'd be fine with it. It's mostly being forced to do boring WQs for weeks that gets me, and having to wait until x.2. It's far too long. I probably agree with you that it's the best middle ground, though I wouldn't be upset if they just let players fly all the time, because flying is fun. Getting dazed off your mount is not.

Yeah, dazed has always been an awful mechanic. I have no idea how that's still a thing.

This is where I always have a disconnect from the flight discussion; I'm broadly okay with Pathfinder as-is, but that's in part because I'm a tank; dazing just doesn't happen to us, so I've no frame of reference for the nature of frustration others get from land travel.

Maybe what we really need is a rethink of dazing, rather than changing the flight unlock system. Is it really necessary these days? Should it be removed, or perhaps just curbed a bit (+2 level mobs can daze you? Something like that?). What's it really for?

(That said, I do think it's quite nice to have a benefit for questing in the world to offset the fact that it takes a bit longer to kill things!)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

I do have to admit, I've never been very comfortable with the recentish trend of releasing raid patches late in the year - too often our initial forays into the raid get disrupted by family responsibilities over Christmas. I'm okay with a slightly later release in that regard... but I do have to concede it's a bit worrying how far it's going to be from the previous patch.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
They have to let you fly from the get go if you choose Cata, because you literally can't level in the cata zones without flying.

I'm not sure how true this actually is - I remember noting when playing Cata that the zones still generally felt like they mostly weren't dependent on having a flying mount - I think the only one that really did need one was Deepholm, although it's possible there's a bunch of ramps there that I've never noticed!

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I'm not sure how true this actually is - I remember noting when playing Cata that the zones still generally felt like they mostly weren't dependent on having a flying mount - I think the only one that really did need one was Deepholm, although it's possible there's a bunch of ramps there that I've never noticed!
The only zones where flight isn't required are Hyjal and Vash'jir (and even the second one still has a version of flying, technically). The others have a lot of places where you can move around on the ground, but certain objectives are on ledges or mountaintops otherwise. There's going to be a similar issue with Wrath where both Storm Peaks and Icecrown will require flight in places.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The only zones where flight isn't required are Hyjal and Vash'jir (and even the second one still has a version of flying, technically). The others have a lot of places where you can move around on the ground, but certain objectives are on ledges or mountaintops otherwise. There's going to be a similar issue with Wrath where both Storm Peaks and Icecrown will require flight in places.
That sounds like they can just gate it to level 20 or 30, like normal riding is now.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Flying in Icecrown and Storm Peaks is necessary in my opinion.

It's a pain to get through.
It's actually necessary. It's impossible to get to certain hubs or objectives without. They would give you a loaner mount for only those two zones if you didn't have Cold Weather Flying at the time.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
from the MMOC interview:

"The team isn't sure if the transmog and mounts from Covenants will be restricted to the character that earned it or if alts can use it yet."

Always one step forward, 2 steps back with these guys... just let everything be transmogged, thats the whole reason someone would do at least 4 characters for the 4 covenents, so in the future you would have access to all those customizations if you make new characters or change class or whatever >_>

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Just realizing there's no new zone in 8.3. That's a bit disappointing. The new zones in 7.3 really gave Legion a ton of mid-expansion life.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The Titan Assaults are taking existing locations and making them extra spoooooky.
there's also the visions of n'zoth which add a lot of geometry to existing locations. it's nothing as exciting as argus for sure, but there's at least some new-ish stuff to sink your teeth into

either way we've got two new factions so look forward to getting exalted for the allied races tied to them in 8.3.5.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Is there anything showing the 15th Anniversary starts tomorrow? Everything had pointed to a mid-November date, but at Blizzcon they specifically said Nov 5, which is tomorrow's reset (a short one too).

I'm thinking maybe they made a mistake with tomorrow's date?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything showing the 15th Anniversary starts tomorrow? Everything had pointed to a mid-November date, but at Blizzcon they specifically said Nov 5, which is tomorrow's reset (a short one too).

I'm thinking maybe they made a mistake with tomorrow's date?

I'm not sure of the date, but if it is tomorrow a short reset shouldn't be a problem as all the anniversary content was patched in already. It just has to be turned on.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It is possible that someone made a mistake when they said fifth instead of fifteenth, but it's something that probably would've been corrected by a CM once it circulated online.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It is possible that someone made a mistake when they said fifth instead of fifteenth, but it's something that probably would've been corrected by a CM once it circulated online.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. None of the WoW sites are reporting on it, which makes me think it is mid-Nov.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The Jailer confirmed for Shredder

muehzala.thumb.JPG.b45902f6865ed1535cfadaf775163aa3.JPG

71MFTZTaU6L._SX425_.jpg

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I missed this detail. Which factions/rep are you referring to, and which allied races?!
There's no confirmed allied races, that's just baseless speculation on my part. There are two new factions coming in 8.3, though:

The Uldum Accord, a group of Tol'vir and their allies looking to prevent the re-origination of the world by the Amathet
The Rajani, a group of Mogu who follow Ra-Den and work with the Golden Lotus to protect the Vale of Eternal Blossoms and the Titan facilities within.

Status
Not open for further replies.