• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
You can probably blame WoD for that. Wrathion's presence in MoP was setting up Legion, but the movie happening probably encouraged them to tack on the whole Garrosh and Bronze Dragonflight traitor resolution to it.

Now that Wrathion was complicit in war crimes, wouldn't have been a good look for him to swoop into Dalaran saying "see, I caused countless deaths for a reason."

...and given the current state of the Horde, it kinda makes sense that he'd pop back up now, even though they're probably going to play up him against N'Zoth.

Yeah it's a combination of factors, both massive rewrites to the storyline of WoD late into development cycle and his questlines in Legion being rewritten during Beta (he was originally Ebonhorn because writers responsible for Highmountain somehow blanked on the fact he couldn't have been around 10 thousand years ago, still blows my mind that happened), but it's still surprising that after building him up during 4.3/MoP campaign it took 5 years for him to be involved in the storyline

Nov 1, 2017
Calia has titan face.

I really hope they don't try to make her the new Forsaken leader as that will go as well as expected, very badly. If Bliz actually has Sylvanas come out on top, proven to be right in a bigger game since she's not corruptable by the void lords I'll cheer. Screw Saurfang the quitter.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Calia has titan face.

I really hope they don't try to make her the new Forsaken leader as that will go as well as expected, very badly. If Bliz actually has Sylvanas come out on top, proven to be right in a bigger game since she's not corruptable by the void lords I'll cheer. Screw Saurfang the quitter.
There's really no good resolution to this. Either Sylvanas has been playing 18th dimensional chess and everyone has been an unknowing pawn in her game for years before she had any sort of power and she Mary Sues out of trouble at the expense of everyone else's characterization, or she's an irredeemable monster who has no reason to exist and her continued leadership is itself an unethical humanitarian crisis which every member of the Horde is complicit in.

They've written themselves into a corner and the only real way out is to have the hand of god pull some shenanigans and screw up the plot further, but that was inevitable anyway.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Also Caelia's story is another example of Blizzards weird as hell fandom for monarchies. They seem to really, really like monarchies and an automatic assumption they should be in charge. The notion that she should be in charge because her family used to be rulers is just frankly bizarre at this stage. You'd think the undead would be pretty sick of the Menethil family now. Couldn't they at least create a new character rather than drag back the old monarchy?

Nov 1, 2017
There's really no good resolution to this. Either Sylvanas has been playing 18th dimensional chess and everyone has been an unknowing pawn in her game for years before she had any sort of power and she Mary Sues out of trouble at the expense of everyone else's characterization, or she's an irredeemable monster who has no reason to exist and her continued leadership is itself an unethical humanitarian crisis which every member of the Horde is complicit in.

They've written themselves into a corner and the only real way out is to have the hand of god pull some shenanigans and screw up the plot further, but that was inevitable anyway.

I simply hate the fact they've done another Warchief is a monster, got to kill them route. Why kill Vol Jin and making her Warchief in the first place only to go this way? It makes no sense to me at all. That's why I'm kind of wanting to see them take this another way with her being the target and victim of a scheme to remove her since again she can not be corrupted by the void lords.

One of the quotes of N'Zoth goes "Six seats at the high table. Six mouths that hunger. One will consume all others." That might be taken as
1. Jaina
2. Genn
3. Thrall
4. Saurafang
5. Baine
6. Anduin.

Who is one to consume all others I couldn't say but these are people that want her gone. Like the King of Diamonds who has been a puppet the rest of them may be as well and Sylvanas might be aware of it. They've said there might be a fallout in the Alliance camp, Sylvanas not being removed or killed/punished could lead to that with the NE's and Genn being angry at Anduin.

I really don't want to see Saurfang who has tried to committ suicide several times now to be given a position, fuck that guy. Give him a knife and tell him to get it done with. Nor do I want to see the Horde fall to the Alliance or have Calia slide in to take a new position as a Forsaken leader. I rather they reject her. Give the Alliance their old light forged undead if you want, keep the Horde Forsaken the pretty twisted lot they are. It's what makes them interesting. I want to see the Horde come out of this stronger instead of again, losing. We've been told they are in this war and might be only weeks until they're done. I rather the expectations be subverted. Also screw the whole honorable savage trope Saurfang goes on about. In war there is little is honorable and good. It's dirty, it's bloody, it's vicious. People largely talk about honor when they win or to justify what they did, no battle is fought even and fair. Both the Horde and Alliance have a history of not doing honorable things and the hard truth is some times to win or come out on top that's the way of things. We murderball whole groups, we storm in and butcher them. It's one reason I want to slap the spit out of Baine, Sylvanas planning to use Jaina's blood to kill them was actually smart. Is it dirty? Absolutely. But I find it hard to see that being the line of her having to be removed for. If they stuck with her after the burning of the tree they committed to it's final conclusion. None are innocent.

That felt cathartic to write.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Still too grindy, just gonna leave them until a catch up mechanic or something gets introduced
If you're doing current content, the rep will eventually flow in without you realizing it. But yeah, the WQ bonus right now (coupled with Dark Moon faire rep bonus tomorrow and contracts) should get the rep flowing in nicely. If you're grinding it, keep in mind the other main goal of having that rep maxed: flying!!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
If you're doing current content, the rep will eventually flow in without you realizing it. But yeah, the WQ bonus right now (coupled with Dark Moon faire rep bonus tomorrow and contracts) should get the rep flowing in nicely. If you're grinding it, keep in mind the other main goal of having that rep maxed: flying!!
I'd still need to do daily world quests in both zones on each character, isn't worth it tbh

Starkweather

Nov 28, 2017
switzerland
i used to adore wow for its pvp in all its forms, flawed from its inception but nonetheless very enjoyable to me, always playing the caster trifecta (priest/wl/mage) but also occasionaly shaman/druid/paladin to mix things up! ill never forget the open pvp fights around scarlett monastary and city raids on sw/if and the "feel" of being in a war with the other faction but also respecting each others in duels, ahh the good ol' times yay...
in the last couple of years i let my subscription lapse and played hundreds of hours of rocket league and overwatch instead.

what really keeps me away from the game is the feeling that pvp is dominated by too many factors that prevent the feeling of "a fair game". as a horde player in eu i'm accustomed to relativ "long" wait times for unrated bgs (3-15min depending of time of day) in exchange for a what feels like a 66%+ winrate, which might be a bit lower in reality but thats not the point. what bugs me is that a lot of games feel loopsided by the team with better gear, be it from a high-end arena enviroment or from raiding/crafting w/e OR theres premades (even if only partial, 2 players coordinating can tilt a battle of wsg which is 10vs10 quite significantly)
(also the dominance of melee (feels like 80% melee at times) in pvp currently doesnt help at least on eu at the times i used to play, altough i love the challenge ;)

now i can hear you say; put in the effort and get geared and enjoy grinding the lowies yrself or get a group started and own with the power of teamplay but thats not my focus in this game, i'd like to feel challenged on a "skill" basis and be able to have an impact on the turn of a battle like i did in the past (but maybe thats my nostalgia speaking?)

tldr: blizz make pvp fun again and i might resub for a month to check it out thx :)

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, the essences are in this weird place where they're kind of required for character progression but get tied to a lot of weird sources. All the ones that come from vendors should probably have the 'unlock' requirement made accountwide. I don't have an issue with the idea that my Shaman and Priest might need to farm up the stuff to buy the essence, but I'm not going to spend weeks on each of them doing the dailies.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I started playing again 2 days ago after taking a 6 month break and I absolutely hate Nazjatar, what an awful zone. It's too big, it's filled to the brim with mobs so you're constantly pulling extras, and I don't know if it's just my gear but they take forever to kill and deal a ton of damage. The layout is confusing at times and just horrible to traverse without flying unlocked. Oh and don't get me started on those new puzzle world quests where you need to untangle the lines, what utter shit that is. Mechagon Island is good, though.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing again 2 days ago after taking a 6 month break and I absolutely hate Nazjatar, what an awful zone. It's too big, it's filled to the brim with mobs so you're constantly pulling extras, and I don't know if it's just my gear but they take forever to kill and deal a ton of damage. The layout is confusing at times and just horrible to traverse without flying unlocked. Oh and don't get me started on those new puzzle world quests where you need to untangle the lines, what utter shit that is. Mechagon Island is good, though.
Yeah, Naz sucks. Thank fuck I unlocked flying.

Moskitokrebs

Oct 28, 2017
Hi guys, is someone here playing the beta ( wow classic)? I just want to make sure that is good before subscribing to wow after so many years off.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Congrats. It's a hectic but really fun fight.

How much do you guys do normal before moving up to heroic?

Thanks! Generally two or three times. We're all pretty well geared though so we're gonna do one more week of normal next week then advance to heroic. I have two players who are a little bit more behind ilvl than the rest of us and while that's okay for normal I want them to try and get closer to 415 when we start heroic.

yeah, we could probably carry them a bit and most likely will (gear wise - the skill is there) but I'm basically giving them a chance to get a few more pieces before we move on. I don't expect heroic to give us much trouble though. Those of us who've been raiding together over the past two-three years are great at adapting and getting there and the new recruits seem to be meshing well so I think we're gonna be just fine. I actually had one of my veteran members message me this morning telling me last night was the most fun he's ever had in a raid and that I've done a great job assembling this current team. I'm gonna take that as a win. :)

Also, and only somewhat related, but I'm recruiting a third healer (preferably a druid, shaman, or paladin) so if any horde-US players want a semi casual raid experience please HMU.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is ouyr
Thanks! Generally two or three times. We're all pretty well geared though so we're gonna do one more week of normal next week then advance to heroic. I have two players who are a little bit more behind ilvl than the rest of us and while that's okay for normal I want them to try and get closer to 415 when we start heroic.

yeah, we could probably carry them a bit and most likely will (gear wise - the skill is there) but I'm basically giving them a chance to get a few more pieces before we move on. I don't expect heroic to give us much trouble though. Those of us who've been raiding together over the past two-three years are great at adapting and getting there and the new recruits seem to be meshing well so I think we're gonna be just fine. I actually had one of my veteran members message me this morning telling me last night was the most fun he's ever had in a raid and that I've done a great job assembling this current team. I'm gonna take that as a win. :)

That's awesome, dude!

My guild was in a similar spot. Two of our regulars were out on vacation and hadn't fought Zaq'ir and Azshara yet so we did one more normal run last week so they could get some experience with those fights instead of making them jump into the heroic versions. Now we're just do heroic. We start on Ashvane tonight and I'm curious to see how far we get.

Now if Radiance would just give me that weapon for my Blood. Someone got a titanforged 450 or 455 version last week.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
8.2.5 PTR servers are up.

You can transfer over your Worgen/Goblin characters or make new ones to check out the new models.

A lot of the patch is still encrypted.

Also, all the faction leaders were removed from the Orgrimmar/Stormwind embassies and replaced with the Pandaren racial leaders for some reason. Weird.

Wimps

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, is someone here playing the beta ( wow classic)? I just want to make sure that is good before subscribing to wow after so many years off.
Tried to get in, but didn't.

Played on a private serv that launched especially for the release of classic. So it's like 1 month old and will go offline come classic. Kinda fun experiment!

When Classic comes out.. this thread will also cover that version, right?

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to get in, but didn't.

Played on a private serv that launched especially for the release of classic. So it's like 1 month old and will go offline come classic. Kinda fun experiment!

When Classic comes out.. this thread will also cover that version, right?

No, I think the plan is for someone to make a thread for classic.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I completed Worldvein Rank 3 on Sunday and then did my islands yesterday only to learn that Rank 4 is tied to an RNG reward. After the first three ranks being consistent I was super disappointed to learn that now I could, in theory, never receive the flashier animation for something I've been working toward over the last month. That's annoying.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Classic thread definitely makes more sense and will avoid a lot of the confusion and frustration of people talking about essentially two completely different games that can nevertheless be confused for each other in some contexts.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna make a female dwarf named Garrosh on every server just so no one can use it as an Orc name

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So here's something that cropped up last week, and it's occasionally been a thing on-and-off through the years in our guild in raids:

Colour-blindness.

I don't suffer from it myself, but we've got a couple of guildies who do, and occasionally that means I have to take that into account when describing fight strategies. Blizzard go some way these days towards striving to make sure that it's not an issue in the game in itself, but when talking about fights my mind will usually gravitate to colour first for abilities, and only for describing the look of the effect after that; a particular issue on Uu'nat heroic where I had to refer to two different forms of 'swirly' in phase 1! We're coming up to Ashvane HC soon, so this is coming to the fore in my mind with having to need reliable discipline on coral-killing.

Does anyone have experience in how to talk about fights in their guild without being overly-reliant on colour? I really ought to wean myself off it.

(As a brief aside, there's one thing I notice I've generally developed over time; when I talk about raid markers on characters, I'll generally talk in terms of the symbol; when I'm talking in environment markers, however, I'll gravitate to the colour. That's caused problems on occasion)

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
So here's something that cropped up last week, and it's occasionally been a thing on-and-off through the years in our guild in raids:

Colour-blindness.

I don't suffer from it myself, but we've got a couple of guildies who do, and occasionally that means I have to take that into account when describing fight strategies. Blizzard go some way these days towards striving to make sure that it's not an issue in the game in itself, but when talking about fights my mind will usually gravitate to colour first for abilities, and only for describing the look of the effect after that; a particular issue on Uu'nat heroic where I had to refer to two different forms of 'swirly' in phase 1! We're coming up to Ashvane HC soon, so this is coming to the fore in my mind with having to need reliable discipline on coral-killing.

Does anyone have experience in how to talk about fights in their guild without being overly-reliant on colour? I really ought to wean myself off it.

(As a brief aside, there's one thing I notice I've generally developed over time; when I talk about raid markers on characters, I'll generally talk in terms of the symbol; when I'm talking in environment markers, however, I'll gravitate to the colour. That's caused problems on occasion)

During Legion one of my healers was colorblind so we had to start calling markers by their shapes and not colors but he was like... one of the best healers I've ever encountered. It was a change having to explain shapes and AOE rather than colors at first but it became easier over time. Plus DBM and Big Wigs helped a lot. He was super understanding if we messed up and used colors and we just corrected ourselves. Plus, I'm pretty sure he was a better player than ALL of us. Dude was awesome.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Colour-blindness.

There's at least one colorblind person in ours and we just use shapes, but we're not perfect about it. Markers are circle, star, triangle, etc... and swirlies are big, little, or other descriptors like three in a row.

Where we falter is things like the bots with Mechatorque or the symbols with Ashvane, we still usually call out colors. We tried describing shapes with Mechatorque but it took longer and we just gradually stopped using that method. If we have trouble because a person can't tell what to do due to color blindness it's no big deal, and they're understanding when we mess up.

It's not ideal but it's worked pretty well for the most part thus far.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I like the alabaster mounts, but I wouldn't be getting them if they weren't also coming with a statue of my favorite WoW character.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
People can spend money on what they want. If you don't like a store mount then the decision is obvious.

I will be getting them with my Collector's Edition box that I only got to put directly onto a shelf with my other WoW CEs.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I can't remember who is on deck for the classic OT but given that name registration and server lists are coming up soon maybe the thread should be created sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I can't remember who is on deck for the classic OT but given that name registration and server lists are coming up soon maybe the thread should be created sooner rather than later.

There's generally a "within a week of release" rule and with August 27th a few weeks out I'm not sure the mods would allow it to be dropped early. ... Even though my opinion of it all is "Classic" released in 2004.

But hey. Someone's claimed it and it should be done. I don't know the poster but whoever is interested can look in the OT, well, OT and contact them.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone back and forth on whether I'll play Classic or not but I think I've settled on no. I feel like I won't have much fun with it until I hit 60 but I don't want to put up with that grind again (I only had one maxed character in the 15 months I played before BC came out).

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give classic a shot. There are things about it I do miss, like class specific quests and the feel of the higher level zones. That said, I go in knowing full well it will be a slog.

Status
Not open for further replies.