• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
There's something about the simplicity that appeals to me.

It is super weird that the anniversary event is getting the cooler mount, though.
Yeah I honestly had hoped that these ones were gonna be a freebie to people who logged in and played during the launch window. I know it's wishful thinking for that but it would have been really nice for Blizzard to do that for all the fans for so many years of them just raking in the cash. Whoops, didn't know they're included in the Anniversary Collector's Edition. Ah well, I'll prob buy these because as much as I'd like to think I could earn the Worldbreaker, I don't think it'll happen. But I might at least try, raid finder is ez mode right? ;)

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah I honestly had hoped that these ones were gonna be a freebie to people who logged in and played during the launch window. I know it's wishful thinking for that but it would have been really nice for Blizzard to do that for all the fans for so many years of them just raking in the cash. Whoops, didn't know they're included in the Anniversary Collector's Edition. Ah well, I'll prob buy these because as much as I'd like to think I could earn the Worldbreaker, I don't think it'll happen. But I might at least try, raid finder is ez mode right? ;)

They're usually pretty chill with anniversary events. Even if Molten Core 40 was a cluster when they brought it back it wasn't "hard" so I think your chances are decent.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Never too many mounts, in fact not enough mounts.

The worst for me is how you need to grind to get exalted with a faction and then Blizzard decide it's reasonable to charge 500,000 gold for the associated mount. What a load of bullshit that is. It basically means the only people who will be able to afford them are the whales who buy tokens or the players who made stupid amounts of gold with garrisons etc. It's an insurmountable amount for most players.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The worst for me is how you need to grind to get exalted with a faction and then Blizzard decide it's reasonable to charge 500,000 gold for the associated mount. What a load of bullshit that is. It basically means the only people who will be able to afford them are the whales who buy tokens or the players who made stupid amounts of gold with garrisons etc. It's an insurmountable amount for most players.

Yeah I agree with this. I know this is their way of getting the extra loads of gold out of the economy because of WoD and Legion but basically I'm never getting these mounts without buying tokens which I think definitely factored into the decision.

I'm not against the token existing though and if people want to do it then that's fine. I'm just not spending the money on it to get them.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Made the mistake of seeing someone mention this mount farming guide: http://telsa-productions.co.uk/mount/home

I plugged in my character and first one it mentioned was the Grey Riding Camel from some random spawn statue(s) in Uldum. Fell down that rabbit hole a few days ago. At first I was just manually going to random coordinates and looking. Then I dug deeper, someone mentioned random oceanic servers and trial characters. So I did that, also got some Camel Spotter addon. There's also "junk" statues that only give you dust. Anyways got the stupid mount today doing a cycle of coordinates before work. But if anyone is mount hunting, oceanic server and trial alts seem like a good route to go for these open world ones. I am afraid to go back to that link and see what one is next.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Grinding Legion pathfinder.

If I have all the reps on 1 character, can I then do the story achievements on another to unlock it or nah?

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
What are they planning for 8.2.5? Anything changing?

I'll come back for that world breaker mount if I can do it casually. Is there a date for that?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
What role does everyone find the easiest? For me, it has to be tanking or DPS.

Healing isn't super hard, but it's definitely the most stressful.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I find healing kinda easy. You mainly just have to focus on the raid/party frames and just keep people topped up with mouse over macros. You barely need to worry about mechanics and interrupts etc for most classes. It's mostly chill as fuck.

I've only dabbled in tanking but I find that the hardest. Mainly knowing which packs to pull and how much your party can handle. It's particularly hard knowing which packs to pull for mythic plus mob percentage. I should probably use Method Dungeon Tools to make that easier though.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We full cleared Normal EP tonight and started Heroic for the first time. Only got one pull in but I'm looking forward to being in heroic raids again.

So far up to Za'qul, Ashvane is the only one that gave us a real problem. We didn't down Za'qul yet but we got super close on our third pull and are pretty sure we'll get him next time. It definitely feels like Uldir and BoD had more walls for us to content with.

I've always tanked in other mmo but have only really gotten into it this year on WoW but for now I still mostly dps.

Healing is just something that seems completely alien to me. Which I've seen people say about tanking even though that has always felt natural and easy to me so it just comes down to experience I guess.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

I don't know why, but healing tends to click for me the easiest. I have to actively force myself to stop tunneling on DPS, because I'll generally ignore mechanics while I'm mashing out my rotation.

Healing can be a real pain when the group doesn't really coordinate, though.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I find healing kinda easy. You mainly just have to focus on the raid/party frames and just keep people topped up with mouse over macros. You barely need to worry about mechanics and interrupts etc for most classes. It's mostly chill as fuck.

I've only dabbled in tanking but I find that the hardest. Mainly knowing which packs to pull and how much your party can handle. It's particularly hard knowing which packs to pull for mythic plus mob percentage. I should probably use Method Dungeon Tools to make that easier though.

I tank and DPS - strangely enough, I like tanking the most.

My issues with tanking arise when people decide for me how much I can pull or tell me to do something differently because they think I should approach a pull differently. If I'm going too slowly for you or whatever then find another group. This aspect of tanking is hands down more stressful than the actual mobs.

And this isn't even touching the fact that tanking is thankless (just like healing). It's like retail: you can never do good enough. You're always expected to do better.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK

My issues with tanking arise when people decide for me how much I can pull or tell me to do something differently because they think I should approach a pull differently. If I'm going too slowly for you or whatever then find another group. This aspect of tanking is hands down more stressful than the actual mobs.

And this isn't even touching the fact that tanking is thankless (just like healing). It's like retail: you can never do good enough. You're always expected to do better.

Lol I know exactly what you mean. I was healing in a Lich King dungeon a while back. I can't remember the name but it's the one where you fly around on drakes. We fought the boss who casts ice underneath him. All of the other players just fought on the ice the whole time taking damage, ignoring my messages telling them to move and hide from line of sight when he does his big cast. I was desperately trying to heal them and keep them alive but one DPS died. The boss then went down and another DPS just stood there looting the boss on the ice. I was stuck in cast rezzing the other guy and all the while the other player just stands there ticking down on the ice and dies. He then messages me "Where's the heals?!!".

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I hate PUGs like that. I tell them to piss off whenever they do it.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Lol I know exactly what you mean. I was healing in a Lich King dungeon a while back. I can't remember the name but it's the one where you fly around on drakes. We fought the boss who casts ice underneath him. All of the other players just fought on the ice the whole time taking damage, ignoring my messages telling them to move and hide from line of sight when he does his big cast. I was desperately trying to heal them and keep them alive but one DPS died. The boss then went down and another DPS just stood there looting the boss on the ice. I was stuck in cast rezzing the other guy and all the while the other player just stands there ticking down on the ice and dies. He then messages me "Where's the heals?!!".

lol god.

I think as well my issue is, again relating to the players more than the content, is that tanks and healers are very infrequently allowed to be human. Like, yes, I'm tanking 4-8 mobs at once and oh god there's a chance I might fuck up my rotation or something. I'm a person - not a robot. It's gonna happen. I'm not a bleeding edge player and I don't want that stress in my life. But players are too quick to criticize others and put them down rather than try to understand what went wrong and offer even the slightest amount of, idk, compassion? Sympathy? Obviously, I expect too much from the playerbase or gamers in general. We're all guilty of it - lord knows I am - but I try to remember it's just a game. Players don't need to be perfect - at least not in sub Mythic raid/M15 content. Perfect is the enemy of good.

Most of this doesn't happen as often because I'm very anti-pug since 7.2 but every now and then I jump into a dungeon and I remember very quickly why I don't do these things anymore with random players. I would rather wipe 20 times on a fight with people I know that once with a random group. Even if the 20 wipes generate frustration at least I have a good idea that most of my group won't be cruel to me over a stupid mistake or just having a tough day.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
lol god.

I think as well my issue is, again relating to the players more than the content, is that tanks and healers are very infrequently allowed to be human. Like, yes, I'm tanking 4-8 mobs at once and oh god there's a chance I might fuck up my rotation or something. I'm a person - not a robot. It's gonna happen. I'm not a bleeding edge player and I don't want that stress in my life. But players are too quick to criticize others and put them down rather than try to understand what went wrong and offer even the slightest amount of, idk, compassion? Sympathy? Obviously, I expect too much from the playerbase or gamers in general. We're all guilty of it - lord knows I am - but I try to remember it's just a game. Players don't need to be perfect - at least not in sub Mythic raid/M15 content. Perfect is the enemy of good.

Most of this doesn't happen as often because I'm very anti-pug since 7.2 but every now and then I jump into a dungeon and I remember very quickly why I don't do these things anymore with random players. I would rather wipe 20 times on a fight with people I know that once with a random group. Even if the 20 wipes generate frustration at least I have a good idea that most of my group won't be cruel to me over a stupid mistake or just having a tough day.

Yeah stuff like this can really bum me out. It's like when you go into LFR and people just jump straight into encounters without making sure the whole raid knows the mechanics. As soon as one thing goes wrong you get people typing shit like "fucking noobs", "wasting my time", "everyone vote to kick tank" etc. Pathetic really.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah stuff like this can really bum me out. It's like when you go into LFR and people just jump straight into encounters without making sure the whole raid knows the mechanics. As soon as one thing goes wrong you get people typing shit like "fucking noobs", "wasting my time", "everyone vote to kick tank" etc. Pathetic really.

And then those people are the Mythic geared raiders who legitimately have no reason to be there aside from what? Transmogs? Like, obviously people doing LFR are there because they can't do higher content for whatever reason so... get the fuck over yourself.

As I mentioned earlier, we started Heroic last night which was pretty nice because I wanted to try and fill in any gaps in a few raider's gear so we actually started on Normal for one last week. We one shot Azshara / completed the raid in two hours and, while this may not impress anyone else, we've only killed her once (last week) and we one shot her last night. No struggle, no difficulty.

Our biggest issue as a guild has come from people wanting to jump into the more difficult tiers of a raid too soon (Executus, too soon) and that causing all kinds of issues. I've raided with 80% of these people for literally years so I know what everyone is capable of - I'm not putting up with that kind of pressure and shit talking anymore. I don't think our current makeup has these type of players this tier, though. I'm cautiously optimistic.

So yeah, now Sunday can be dedicated to getting a "head start" on Heroic if you will. It's so nice to have a group to do regular content with so you can generally skip the asshole infested areas of the game.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm dragging my guild into doing more dungeons and M+ but damn is it impossible at times, and I'm then forced to PUG and it sucks.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

This actually happened to me just last night. Some guildies and I were going through a 12 Motherload and we had 20 deaths before the first boss, mostly from one pack that we just kept messing up in a variety of ways. But we were laughing about it. We had no intention of pushing the key and were enjoying the comedy of errors that happened.

Ever since finding a good guild I am loathe to pug. Even though I'm thinking of leveling a warrior from 110 to 120 via timewalking this week, which would be mostly pugs. >.>

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
This actually happened to me just last night. Some guildies and I were going through a 12 Motherload and we had 20 deaths before the first boss, mostly from one pack that we just kept messing up in a variety of ways. But we were laughing about it. We had no intention of pushing the key and were enjoying the comedy of errors that happened.

Ever since finding a good guild I am loathe to pug. Even though I'm thinking of leveling a warrior from 110 to 120 via timewalking this week, which would be mostly pugs. >.>
Honestly....It's worth it

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Even though I'm thinking of leveling a warrior from 110 to 120 via timewalking this week, which would be mostly pugs. >.>

Oh Timewalking. If there was ever something that Blizzard didn't know how to balance properly vs players who somehow "forget" they're scaled down in power... I like doing these dungeons again (well, Wrath and after) and they've even made me appreciate some of WoD considering I did them like once per character since they were so easily and quickly made useless. But again, people will pull 5 packs and then scream at the healer as they just... melt.

Players aside - Timewalking reminds me of a different... time though in the game. Something about the design philosophy re: dungeons has changed and I suspect a lot of it is due to Mythic+. For whatever reason, the BFA dungeon set isn't appealing to me and it's not art or lore or anything. It's that some mechanics seem to be purposefully irritating (Freehold), or weird mob density (Motherlode) or just, imo, unfun (Temple and Shrine). Mechagon is A LOT of fun most times minus the damn fourth boss. I don't mind Atal'dazar aside from that pull before the totem boss. But aside from Mechagon none of them stand out to me or are very memorable in like DAMN I LIKE THIS DUNGEON kind of ways. And I really have issues with the camera angles in them which I think is my number one dungeon dislike of BFA.

Compare this to Legion where the only dungeon I disliked was Vault of the Wardens (and maybe Black Rook Hold some days). I found the Legion dungeons to be exciting and fun. I know people like to shit on BFA for not being Legion but I couldn't do enough Legion dungeons. They were just engaging to me. idk. I really want another Mechagon quality dungeon (or two!) for 8.3. I really hope we get some good ones.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
So update on my casual guild raids *and ties in to above posts*. Still 6/8 on Normal but because we were breezing through content they made the decision to start on Heroic this week. Got the first 4 down after 3 hours. There were a few wipes but it was somewhat challenging, most stayed through and I sure had fun (and got a 430 dagger to boot). I want to take on Mythic personally (and sure I'd do well) but accepted this may be the upper limit if wanting to keep such a lax schedule.

As for preferred roles, I've main-ed a rogue my whole life so Melee DPS is my wheelhouse and generally no complaints. Sometimes performance issues on the GFX end has made encounters a little more difficult. I raid healed Karazhan/Zul'Aman waaay back in the day but have been leveling alts of late (Shaman/Druid) and Resto is a nice change of pace which I enjoy and even got a few compliments. Certainly more stressful than DPS when I see the tank dipping, others are taking damage and I got a mob loose beating my face. It's like which do I heal/spend CDs on?!

There's a wee Kul Tiran monk I think I'll try Brewmaster, however never really had the desire to tank outside of being a benefit to guildies.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I can save my desired name on my birthday then. I guess I'll be having a birthday present this year. Or I'll consider it one.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a special day. My gf just created her first WoW character: A pandaren hunter named Bearyonce.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Hunters > all

Also, whats the best site for damage charts comparing all classes?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So, heroic Ashvane.

HEEEEEELP!

The frustrating thing is that we've got no real benchmark as to *where* we're failing. We can just about scrape through the first shield and nuke phase, and maybe get to about the last 10% of the second shield. The nuke phase (sans heroism) is only burning through maybe 30% of her health, so we're currently in line with four nuke phases - and that's one thing that people generally suggest just isn't realistic to make it through a fourth coral-spawning phase.

But independent of that, the enrage timer is also a concern; we generally wipe on a good go about five minutes into the fight, and if DBM is trustworthy that's about halfway to enrage; we're simply not going to down her. Our guild's DPS generally isn't brilliant, but even the best players aren't really troubling the %age comparisons in the logs right now.

On top of that, the healers feel incredibly overwhelmed with the healing requirements, imagining that they're needing cooldowns for all bar the first Rippling Waves phases

It feels like we're doing something fundamentally wrong which is overstressing the heal requirements and hindering the DPS, and I've absolutely no idea what it is. When we look at the logs, our healers appear to be massively overperforming relative to their gear, and comparably, many of our DPS appear to be massively underperforming.

I've been trying to do log comparisons, but it looks like everything that's showing up when I do a search for comparable gearsets are Mythic-capable raids who are good enough to do huge numbers in gearsets comparable to ours, which isn't helpful for direct comparisons (when I tried to break the numbers down such that I could isolate just the first phase 1 and compare that, the only guild I stumbled on that had a phase 1 of similar length... did so because they accidentally let a bubble or two through which artificially extended the phase!)

Here's our best go. Anyone got any insight they can offer?

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Correct. That is on August 12th in NA, 13th in other regions.
DO we know when that's gonna open up as far as what time?

Also, I have a wow 15th anniversary collectors edition preorder at Amazon I'd anyone wants it. No mark up or anything, just the cost of the item and tax. Let me know if any of you guys want it.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
where's my tinker class with pets and a healing spec? You know, a class specifically made for me, the elusive pet/healer fanboy >_>

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
where's my tinker class with pets and a healing spec? You know, a class specifically made for me, the elusive pet/healer fanboy >_>

It already exists, but as a special talent that can be applied to any spec. You get to control up to thirty-nine pets, some of which can be healers.

Status
Not open for further replies.