• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
None of the folks I know that are still active in retail WoW are super psyched about classic either. No one is really "lol vanilla is bad this is dumb" or anything, there just isn't much excitement or anticipation about it.

Yeah most of my friends interested in Classic quit regular WoW awhile ago. Only a few of them came back in 8.2.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Are there going to be ERA servers for Classic?

There is a post on Reddit about which servers the big streamers are planning on rolling on. It appears that Fairbanks is the pst PvP server that won't have the big streamers on it. Apparently they will be going to Herod which is east coast PvP.

Unless you want to deal with Asmongolds Horde, it looks like Fairbanks is the place to be.

Oh man. I just fired it up for a look. Created a human warlock (my original first character back in 2005) and ran OOM fighting a kobold in elwynn. Never Alt-F4'd so fast in my life. That wasn't fun.

Imagine actually having to use some skill and thought in managing your resources instead of brainlessly slamming buttons...

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Asmongold is playing Alliance and Sodapopping is playing Horde. They're supposed to be playing on the same server to balance it out.

That said, neither's going to stick with it so it doesn't really matter after the first 2 months.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oh man. I just fired it up for a look. Created a human warlock (my original first character back in 2005) and ran OOM fighting a kobold in elwynn. Never Alt-F4'd so fast in my life. That wasn't fun.
He's under level 5. Skill isn't needed then, even in classic. Why do people go on like classic is the dark souls of MMOs?

It's not the dark souls of MMO's, it's just that it's not the Call of Duty either. Having limited resources encourages decision making and an analysis of risk vs reward. It is crucial to teach new players that their resources are finite so that learn to pace themselves and tread cautiously in a dangerous world.

I'm not trying to distract from the retail discussion so I'll leave it at that. I see very little value in the retail experience, some will disagree. Done.

As an EQ1 player, my favorite thing about all the WoW Classic talk is laughing at people talking about how hard WoW classic is.
I don't think I've ever seen someone say classic wow is difficult. If it is they are certainly wrong. I played EQ, DAoC, old Ultima, Shadowbane, etc. Those games were way harder than classic.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Hahaha, I did the same thing. Still play that same char now (though he's a void elf these days >_>). There's literally one spell that early and it runs oom killing one mob that you can then finish off hitting for 2 damage with your melee dagger. Then you afk for 10 seconds while your mana regens or just beat on things with your dagger which is about as effective as being afk. I don't know how I managed to get through this all these years ago, I guess the very novelty of it all carried me through but none of that is there anymore and I'm just left with the shitty, dated, tedious game design everywhere. If I were to get to 60 my options are go 9/21/21 and just spam one spell, the same one I had at level 1! Oh boy. Truly amazing the power and flexibility of these old talent trees that opened up so many ways to play.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I just checked wowhead. Did they not add a single dungeon in the year since the release of BfA? Is that not a thing they do? What group content/instances did they add since then?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Wands were basically auto-attacks for casters back then. Should always be going.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked wowhead. Did they not add a single dungeon in the year since the release of BfA? Is that not a thing they do? What group content/instances did they add since then?

Er, they added Battle of Dazar'Alor, Crucible of Storms (a short one) and most recently The Eternal Palace in raid terms, and they've just added Operation: Mechagon at the same time as The Eternal Palace in 5-man terms. It's in line with the usual pace of releases.

Are you looking in the wrong place on Wowhead, or something? I'm rather confused.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
MDI live now

www.twitch.tv

Warcraft - Twitch

Watch BlizzCon Live from Anaheim, California on November 3 & 4!

Until you can ban specs in MDI, I don't see how it can continue as an eSport considering views have dropped almost every time.

It's 99% Warrior tank, Rest Druid and now 3 outlaw rogues. As a viewer why would you want to watch?

It's not interesting and it has a lot to do with Blizz designing dungeons around the MDI instead of actually making them fun like in Legion.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Yeah, you can tell they're kind of regretting the direction they're taking with some of the keystones, especially with how quick they were to announce nerfs for Outlaw before MDI started.

Doesn't do much for us now, but hopefully means that the next expansion will have them reconsidering how affixes work.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So this is a super long shot but all the WoW classic stuff made me a bit nostalgic of my old raiding days...

Anybody here was on Dalaran (and/or Drenden once they offered free realm transfer) back around classic/BC/WOTC mostly...

I was raiding in "DOOM" on Horde side and "Flame of the Phoenix" on Alliance...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Until you can ban specs in MDI, I don't see how it can continue as an eSport considering views have dropped almost every time.

It's 99% Warrior tank, Rest Druid and now 3 outlaw rogues. As a viewer why would you want to watch?

It's not interesting and it has a lot to do with Blizz designing dungeons around the MDI instead of actually making them fun like in Legion.

Bans sound dumb to me. But they could put reasonable limits on composition... like maybe no more than 1 of a single spec of a class.

Rokam

Oct 29, 2017
So this is a super long shot but all the WoW classic stuff made me a bit nostalgic of my old raiding days...

Anybody here was on Dalaran (and/or Drenden once they offered free realm transfer) back around classic/BC/WOTC mostly...

I was raiding in "DOOM" on Horde side and "Flight of the Phoenix" on Alliance...
Blizzard has an official thread for getting in touch with people from vanilla servers
Link to thread.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Just came back to BfA and entered Nazjatar. Everything is murdering me but I am only 345ish. I think I have to run a few normal dungeons....

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back to BfA and entered Nazjatar. Everything is murdering me but I am only 345ish. I think I have to run a few normal dungeons....

You do get a 370 weapon right away. And shortly after that you get your heart unlock and they give you like 1x 385 azerite piece and enough pearls to upgrade it to 400. Don't upgrade it. That quest is optional. Use the pearls you get for free to buy 4 pieces of 385 gear from the vendor of your choice (no weapons, rings or trinkets, but there is azerite gear there too).

Naru

May 11, 2019
You do get a 370 weapon right away. And shortly after that you get your heart unlock and they give you like 1x 385 azerite piece and enough pearls to upgrade it to 400. Don't upgrade it. That quest is optional. Use the pearls you get for free to buy 4 pieces of 385 gear from the vendor of your choice (no weapons, rings or trinkets, but there is azerite gear there too).
Good information, thanks! I am currently on the quest for the heart upgrade and the enemies in the cave murder me. lol Might also be because I am a bit rusty with the class.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
WoWScrnShot_081119_142620.jpg

Free at last indeed, Terenas. I never have to run ICC again!

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
As an EQ1 player, my favorite thing about all the WoW Classic talk is laughing at people talking about how hard WoW classic is.

I defected to WoW from EQ after I played the WoW beta. At the time it felt like WoW was far less of a time sink and valued my time more (I did the Monk and Cleric epics in EQ... the camping man the camping!) and you could actually make progress solo.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I fear that I may start joining the mount farming club. Never really did it except for Al'ar, which was totally worth it. Still my favourite mount in the game, I think. But man, Invincible is cool shit. I want.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I swear trash mobs in classic used to respawn after 30 minutes even if the boss they let up to was killed am I imagining that?

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the mobs. In particular, I seem to recall something in MC (maybe the Core Hounds?) being on a surprisingly short timer.

Edit: Just found a site that claims 28 minutes on Lava Surgers, 18 minutes on Core Hounds and 8 minutes on the imps in the imp cave.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a good resource for returning players to learn what's new in retail? I haven't seriously played since WotLK and due to classic forcing me to sub I decided to jump into retail with a new level 1 and I feel completely lost. With Cata completely changing the classic zones, and all the npc's talking about the battle in Northrend, I was also wondering if there's somewhere that covers the lore so I understand what has happened in the world since I played.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
So after last night I've determined that Eternal Palace is gonna be BfA's "fuck you and your loot" tier for me. 20+ kills and I've gotten 3? drops. Cool. I have a work interference this week on Wednesday which is going to prevent me from being in raid for the full time which is shitty but I literally cannot get out of it so I guess I'll just miss out on more loot this week as well.

That said, we got 3/8 Heroic last night. Ashvane Heroic is something. I understand the fight from a tanking perspective and I think the rest of the raid understands the mechanics. It's just tightening everything and meeting that DPS check. That's intense.

Naru

May 11, 2019
I am still working on Pathfinder I, mainly need the Tortollan Seekers and Champions of Azeroth factions. This is basically done by doing all the side quests I haven't done and doing world quests?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I am still working on Pathfinder I, mainly need the Tortollan Seekers and Champions of Azeroth factions. This is basically done by doing all the side quests I haven't done and doing world quests?
Yup, prioritize those emissaries when they're up. You can try to speed it up by just doing all their world quests whenever they're up but it's a slog.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
Is there a good resource for returning players to learn what's new in retail? I haven't seriously played since WotLK and due to classic forcing me to sub I decided to jump into retail with a new level 1 and I feel completely lost. With Cata completely changing the classic zones, and all the npc's talking about the battle in Northrend, I was also wondering if there's somewhere that covers the lore so I understand what has happened in the world since I played.
Here's Blizz's own patch-by-patch synopsis. Each story beat gets a small paragraph but if looking for something more engaging there are a ton of talented YouTubers. I like Nobbel87 (sometimes the accent is a bit much, heh).

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I was just watching Ashvane and updating a resumé and I considered putting "tanks bosses without question - bathes in holy light to protect his team." I'm not sure how that would go over.

Granted, I'm 90% sure I got one of my jobs in California because I played video games and, specifically, WoW. I'm not sure this would work for a credit union, though.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So after last night I've determined that Eternal Palace is gonna be BfA's "fuck you and your loot" tier for me. 20+ kills and I've gotten 3? drops. Cool. I have a work interference this week on Wednesday which is going to prevent me from being in raid for the full time which is shitty but I literally cannot get out of it so I guess I'll just miss out on more loot this week as well.

That said, we got 3/8 Heroic last night. Ashvane Heroic is something. I understand the fight from a tanking perspective and I think the rest of the raid understands the mechanics. It's just tightening everything and meeting that DPS check. That's intense.

Yeah, we're back in for our second night of trying her tonight, so I'm going to take on board all the advice this thread offered - and some fairly extensive exploring of logs and play mechanics over the weekend - to hopefully start making some decent inroads. We'll see how it goes!

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah, we're back in for our second night of trying her tonight, so I'm going to take on board all the advice this thread offered - and some fairly extensive exploring of logs and play mechanics over the weekend - to hopefully start making some decent inroads. We'll see how it goes!

Good luck! I saw a positioning tweak I want us to hammer out and then just people getting more gear in theory will help as well. For a first wall, she's not awful. It's just the damn shield DPS check! We'll get there. And so will you!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
So, how exactly is the name reservation going to work? Do we need classic installed?

edit: nevermind, didn't realize it was already available for install.

BolognaOni

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like the Ashvane fight, but was definitely cursing it a bit when we were learning. It's really quite unforgiving on mechanics, but not immediately so- a bad briny bubble, or leaving up more than one coral during break phase will probably wipe you, but you won't know it for sure until minutes later when the shield re-pops at a few %.

Been stuck on Za-qul for two weeks now. Should have had him this week but realized too late that we were being affected by the Mind Tether changes that were 1-shotting tanks in the last phase. I think we would have been able to cheese him with 3-tank strat, but by that time everyone was too burned out.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you guys so damn much.

One small refinement that seemed to work for us: We happened to have no melee (not terribly uncommon for us), so had the tank who got Briny Bubble stand still while the other got out of range - then the free tank waits for the cutting coral, and *after* that happens, moves her over the bubbles so you've got a splash factor on them without needing to be concerned about coral underfoot.

Last edited:

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
"Only players who already have characters on the realm are currently allowed to create characters."

Status
Not open for further replies.