• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
On a scale of 1-10, how different is current WoW to say the end of WotLK? Thats when I stopped playing, though 90% of my playtime was vanilla and BC
Uh... a 6, maybe. Gameplay is generally faster, there's a lot more mechanics in encounters and we've largely moved away from the idea of daily hubs, with repeating content just taking place randomly throughout the world.

At the same time, while some systems are pretty different (talents, most noticably), it's going to be pretty similar feeling to Wrath.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to decide if I wanna race change my druid into a Tauren I do like their heritage armor but I didn't really like being a highmountain. I joined a guild and surprise surprise it's full of drama. I'm doing my best to avoid it as much as possible but they want me to start tanking mythics for their alts. The weirdo in love with my friend guy wants to come because my friend is coming but I'm not going if he does but I gotta think up an excuse that sounds good because he's the guild leader. He's just weird and I feel bad for my friend she has to put up with him because he's the guild leader.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Had zero interest in Classic but now all this leadup hype I'll probably dabble. Seems my old guild is rolling on Whitemane and based on the repeated warnings I predict a complete shitshow come 6PM EST today. I'll probably just do a rogue as it was my OG character, human this time around instead of NE though.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm betting tonight and maybe the first two or three days will be a dumpster fire during peak hours, then they'll get it under control.

Nov 1, 2017
If they want to set the classic feel the servers will be crashing repeatedly for the first month. During the original launch they got way more people than expected. It's success was beyond what was anticipated. Funny enough we might be going down that exact same road.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not even going to say how long it took me to figure out how to access Wow Classic through the hub.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I'm #4680 in the queue for my server, and let me just say...

As someone who didn't discover WoW until Burning Crusade (my college boyfriend's roommate was playing it, and let my curious self create a character on his account and let me spend hours in his room playing which pissed my bf off and led to problems we won't get into here), and who didn't get into the game on his own until the lead-up to Cataclysm, I have to say...I'm freaking excited to experience what this game was like for the Day Ones. Bugs and all.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I get why they put it on the one option in the launcher (since it's a single sub for both games) but they really should've designed it to have two buttons on the page, or something other than what they did.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

As someone who didn't discover WoW until Burning Crusade (my college boyfriend's roommate was playing it, and let my curious self create a character on his account and let me spend hours in his room playing which pissed my bf off and led to problems we won't get into here), and who didn't get into the game on his own until the lead-up to Cataclysm, I have to say...I'm freaking excited to experience what this game was like for the Day Ones. Bugs and all.

My story isn't as dramatic, lol, but we didn't have internet at home and I was still relatively poor even at 19 in 2004 so I didn't own a computer because I made lol $5.15 an hour. My manager/friend at Blockbuster would let me stay at her place for rides to work and she let me create a character on her account and I'd seen what Everquest did to her so I was apprehensive to say the least.

I've always been someone who didn't sleep well so I remember one of those nights I was up and I made a mage (named Stefani - after Gwen, not Gaga obvi) and ventured forth. The moment I crossed from Elwynn into Westfall will always be one of those gaming moments that is burned into my memory. I saved money and my friend's dad built me a computer so I could play with her and let me pay him back VERY SLOWLY and I'm still here now 15 years later. It sure is something.

My now husband had zero interest in WoW and he played City of Heroes/Villains but I convinced him to try it one day toward the tail end of Vanilla and we still play together. We have completely alternate schedules and barely see each other (which is a problem unrelated to the game) so the Wednesday and Sunday nights we get to raid together (we both tank) is like the most quality time I get with him.

Fuck. I teared up typing this. That's stupid.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
My story isn't as dramatic, lol, but we didn't have internet at home and I was still relatively poor even at 19 in 2004 so I didn't own a computer because I made lol $5.15 an hour. My manager/friend at Blockbuster would let me stay at her place for rides to work and she let me create a character on her account and I'd seen what Everquest did to her so I was apprehensive to say the least.

I've always been someone who didn't sleep well so I remember one of those nights I was up and I made a mage (named Stefani - after Gwen, not Gaga obvi) and ventured forth. The moment I crossed from Elwynn into Westfall will always be one of those gaming moments that is burned into my memory. I saved money and my friend's dad built me a computer so I could play with her and let me pay him back VERY SLOWLY and I'm still here now 15 years later. It sure is something.

My now husband had zero interest in WoW and he played City of Heroes/Villains but I convinced him to try it one day toward the tail end of Vanilla and we still play together. We have completely alternate schedules and barely see each other (which is a problem unrelated to the game) so the Wednesday and Sunday nights we get to raid together (we both tank) is like the most quality time I get with him.

Fuck. I teared up typing this. That's stupid.
Committed, loving relationship with a reciprocating partner you don't get to see nearly as much as you deserve? Sis...

pKJpTpj.gif

I've been there.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uh... a 6, maybe. Gameplay is generally faster, there's a lot more mechanics in encounters and we've largely moved away from the idea of daily hubs, with repeating content just taking place randomly throughout the world.

At the same time, while some systems are pretty different (talents, most noticably), it's going to be pretty similar feeling to Wrath.
I would've ranked it at a 10 since the world exploded in Cataclysm and old expansions are straight up skippable now.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Made it to level 9 in Classic, that game is just making me appreciate what we have now. Played about 6 hours and I find it a lot more frustrating then fun. I had fun playing through those quests and that world the first time I played in BC, but man, I don't think a lot of those mechanics and systems have aged well at all. Still want try to hit 60, but I think BFA is absolutely more enjoyable for me right now and the version I'd prefer to devote time to.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the content is pretty different, but mechanically it's not too far removed.
I think that depends heavily on what class you played

If you were a DK at the time of WotLK then you might not even be a tank anymore, if you were a Hunter then you don't have ammo or even a melee weapon unless you're survival. There are a bunch of new races running around, people are flying in Azeroth now, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Made it to level 9 in Classic, that game is just making me appreciate what we have now. Played about 6 hours and I find it a lot more frustrating then fun. I had fun playing through those quests and that world the first time I played in BC, but man, I don't think a lot of those mechanics and systems have aged well at all. Still want try to hit 60, but I think BFA is absolutely more enjoyable for me right now and the version I'd prefer to devote time to.

Yeah I got to 6 last night and it was fun, and I will continue playing till 60, but man I forgot how bad leveling a Paladin was back then. 10 yard limit on Judgement was so cruel.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I agree. I just don't get the love for Classic. I mean I have amazing memories of all the first time stuff I did when wow launched. The hunter bow quest is one of my favorite gaming memories ever, but I have no desire to do it all over again.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I played some classic last night and I just couldn't stop laughing the whole time. Like in a good way. I was people watching and seeing all these characters fighting over kobolds just reminded me of when I started the game years ago. I hit level 2 and then went back to retail. I'll try more of it when things calm down in the starting zones in a bit but all the "I am not getting credit for my kills!!!" talk was a good time.

Nov 1, 2017
One thing classic will strike you with is that it feels like a vast world. Your not a champion of great might that has killed Gods and saved the world, no your just a normal person who has to go out into the world and try and survive. Even the greys you get at low levels feel like a treasure, a green?! Holy shit what a thing to have. Every bag you find enables you to carry more and as you get further and further more of this big world reveals itself, the other side? Jokes are made about them, they're ghost in the wind. Then eventually you spot one. Maybe you can kill them. Maybe you can't. But it's a little event in itself, if you do some world PVP it becomes definitely this living breathing thing that ebb and flow as more get involved. It feels like the world is alive and your on some great journey.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
One thing classic will strike you with is that it feels like a vast world. Your not a champion of great might that has killed Gods and saved the world, no your just a normal person who has to go out into the world and try and survive. Even the greys you get at low levels feel like a treasure, a green?! Holy shit what a thing to have. Every bag you find enables you to carry more and as you get further and further more of this big world reveals itself, the other side? Jokes are made about them, they're ghost in the wind. Then eventually you spot one. Maybe you can kill them. Maybe you can't. But it's a little event in itself, if you do some world PVP it becomes definitely this living breathing thing that ebb and flow as more get involved. It feels like the world is a live and your on some great journey.

I guess.

but I've done it all before so it just feels like when I replay Breath of the Wild or Pokemon or any other game I've been through. I wouldn't really call it exciting because I've been there done that. To each their own, of course, but Classic's gameplay doesn't hit that nostalgia vibe for me. it's more the "old world" and stuff that you can't see in game anymore that's interesting to me.

Nov 1, 2017
I guess.

but I've done it all before so it just feels like when I replay Breath of the Wild or Pokemon or any other game I've been through. I wouldn't really call it exciting because I've been there done that. To each their own, of course, but Classic's gameplay doesn't hit that nostalgia vibe for me. it's more the "old world" and stuff that you can't see in game anymore that's interesting to me.

I quite love it. It hits that "it" factor for me. It's a world where anything can and probably will happen, you can do questing, you can get into a fight, you can progress but nothing is guarenteed unless you put in the time and effort. Plus I honestly like the old world better than the Cata revamp. That kinda made some zones a single linear based story and doing them for the upteenth time gets old quick.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

It's pretty specifically NOT what it was actually like for day ones, though (other than the fuckin queues)

1.12 is after a LOT of changes to the base game

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Tell me when you get to level 20, we gonna do Deadmines

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Many classes are wildly different from how they played in WotLK. Some ability names are the same, but things like DK, Pally, Shaman, and Rogue are incredibly different now.
I mean, Retribution Paladin sure, but Shaman and Rogue are... functionally pretty similar? Shaman still throws out debuffs, maintains self auras, Combat got a big visual overhaul and a new primary CP spender but is still largely similar.

By and large though, if you were a Paladin/Mage/Shaman/Priest you're going to end up doing pretty similar things now that you would do then. I'm just of the mindset that the world/quest/encounter design has changed a little more drastically than the characters have.
I think that depends heavily on what class you played

If you were a DK at the time of WotLK then you might not even be a tank anymore, if you were a Hunter then you don't have ammo or even a melee weapon unless you're survival. There are a bunch of new races running around, people are flying in Azeroth now, etc.
I did definitely forget that DK used to have 3 tank specs, even though close to the end you weren't seeing many Frost/Unholy tanks. I guess that's the biggest class related change, hybridity is largely dead outside the one token example with Druid subspecs.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean, Retribution Paladin sure, but Shaman and Rogue are... functionally pretty similar? Shaman still throws out debuffs, maintains self auras, Combat got a big visual overhaul and a new primary CP spender but is still largely similar.

By and large though, if you were a Paladin/Mage/Shaman/Priest you're going to end up doing pretty similar things now that you would do then. I'm just of the mindset that the world/quest/encounter design has changed a little more drastically than the characters have.

I did definitely forget that DK used to have 3 tank specs, even though close to the end you weren't seeing many Frost/Unholy tanks.
Shaman has an entirely different resource system and totems are all but gone. WoW class design was never really complicated, but most classes don't look remotely similar to what they used to look like. Ret and prot paladin have a different resource system entirely, too, and it really changed the playstyle of the class.

I think it's obvious and fair to say that the world and quest design has changed the most, but that's only because it's the most noticeable place for improvements/changes.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Shaman has an entirely different resource system and totems are all but gone. WoW class design was never really complicated, but most classes don't look remotely similar to what they used to look like. Ret and prot paladin have a different resource system entirely, too, and it really changed the playstyle of the class.

I think it's obvious and fair to say that the world and quest design has changed the most, but that's only because it's the most noticeable place for improvements/changes.
In the Shaman example it's really just the focus shift from buffs to a resource bar (which did ultimately help smooth out some of the bumps in the playstyle), but the core conceit and the abilities you end up using were largely the same.

Either way at this point we're just splitting hairs. I wasn't really tying to downplay the class changes, I just think the jump from Classic to Wrath is much larger than the jump from Wrath to BFA. Every expansion has included changes, but it was really Wrath that kinda codified a lot of the identity that lives on with the current class design (in my opinion, of course).

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
In the Shaman example it's really just the focus shift from buffs to a resource bar (which did ultimately help smooth out some of the bumps in the playstyle), but the core conceit and the abilities you end up using were largely the same.

Either way at this point we're just splitting hairs, I wasn't really tying to downplay the class changes, I just think the jump from Classic to Wrath is much larger than the jump from Wrath to BFA. Every expansion has included changes, but it was really Wrath that kinda codified a lot of the identity that lives on with the current class design (in my opinion, of course).
Oh! Totally agreed. Classic -> Wrath feels like... Well, it felt like an arc to the game? It feels like there's a distinct through line that starts in vanilla that you can follow through Burning Crusade and it culminates in Wrath. The changes were large but they were also kinda natural progressions.

Maybe it's strictly nostalgia speaking, but I feel like each expansion after WotLK felt like a new, discrete experience that just outright barely carried over into the next expansion. Which I think is the problem that I wound up having with WoW? My character felt like it was something new instead of just getting better at what I was doing. I'm really curious to see what they do with the next expansion since it seems like they've become aware of a similar thing.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
We had quite a few raiders out last night playing classic so we took a break from heroic progression and ran a normal mode raid and lol, fury warriors have so much sustain they can just stay permanently in the delirium realm on Za'Qul like it's lfr. 47k dps, I cheesed those meters real good.

BolognaOni

Oct 27, 2017
I really really dislike the Cata "shattered" world concept, and hope they decide to repair it for the next expansion, as opposed to adding another new continent someplace.

Really unlikely I'll have the playtime to do much Classic, but I do miss the old zones.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I really really dislike the Cata "shattered" world concept, and hope they decide to repair it for the next expansion, as opposed to adding another new continent someplace.

Really unlikely I'll have the playtime to do much Classic, but I do miss the old zones.

Canonically, Azeroth has recovered from the Cataclysm so I really want that leak with the "Old God World Revamp" to be real but implemented via phasing so the Cata stuff isn't gone forever like Classic stuff.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
otoh if you were going to wipe something off the face of the Earth, would cata questing really be that big a loss

Nov 1, 2017
I'd prefer if they went back to the old world stuff, the cata stuff is just eh.

Maybe they could have a time change mechanic, talk to a person and boom, old world or cata depending on what you want.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
A pleasant surprise: I've just come back from holiday, and I was concerned that with me (a significant motivator for raids) away just before Classic hit that we'd struggle with attendance on my first raid back, but no; reduced numbers, but still very much a properly viable raid.

Admittedly that may be somewhat aided by the queues on classic, but I'll take it!

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I'd prefer if they went back to the old world stuff, the cata stuff is just eh.

Maybe they could have a time change mechanic, talk to a person and boom, old world or cata depending on what you want.

Oddly enough I have a feeling this N'zoth shit is going to end with some kind of resetting of the world in a way, they have to know the current trajectory of retail is terrible. I know they also want to do a level squish, so that could coincide with some kind of major changes. I don't think they will reset levels or anything like that, as that would be bad, but I sense some kind of major change to the main game is going to happen after BFA.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough I have a feeling this N'zoth shit is going to end with some kind of resetting of the world in a way, they have to know the current trajectory of retail is terrible. I know they also want to do a level squish, so that could coincide with some kind of major changes. I don't think they will reset levels or anything like that, as that would be bad, but I sense some kind of major change to the main game is going to happen after BFA.
It'd be a good time to just do a WoW2. Let some stuff carry over, like transmogs and titles, but a clean slate could do a lot of good.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I never, ever, ever want a WoW2 reboot.

I already think "splitting" the playerbase with Classic was a bad idea (and don't tell me it isn't happening when right now I have raiders who will be/have been only be logging in for raid night and spending their time in Classic otherwise) and just "ending" WoW1 and deleting all that progress would be a huge negative. Squishes I think are tolerated because you don't exactly lose anything aside from a number but having to start completely over and saying you're "still the same character" would be a very hard pill to swallow imo.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I never, ever, ever want a WoW2 reboot.

I already think "splitting" the playerbase with Classic was a bad idea (and don't tell me it isn't happening when right now I have raiders who will be/have been only be logging in for raid night and spending their time in Classic otherwise) and just "ending" WoW1 and deleting all that progress would be a huge negative. Squishes I think are tolerated because you don't exactly lose anything aside from a number but having to start completely over and saying you're "still the same character" would be a very hard pill to swallow imo.
At some point though, you kinda do have to wipe the slate clean and get a fresh start.

Status
Not open for further replies.